Start by marking “Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  188 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Bestselling author and noted cryptozoologist Loren Coleman set out on the ultimate mission: to uncover the fun and intriguing phenomena that exist right here in the United States. In Mysterious America, a fun and compulsively readable guidebook to America's most popular local legends, he prepares readers for their own adventure -- where to find the unbelievable spectacles ...more
Published April 24th 2007 by Pocket Books (first published October 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Mysterious America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mysterious America

Lea
Dec 26, 2011 Lea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011, reviews
I love this book.

It's one of my all-time favorites on my list of crazy books, and I re-read it frequently because it's just so much fun.

Loren Coleman writes like a madman -- I'm not sure how many books he's written, but it's an extensive (and surprisingly varied) list. An obvious passion, however, is cryptozoology, and this book is jam packed full of Coleman's analyses of these cases, as well as other odd phenomena.

Coleman starts this book off with an intriguing essay on American place names --
Kevin O'Keeffe
I'm still at the library (having just checked this book out), and only thus far having read Chapter Three ("Devil Names and Fortean Places"), plus some of the appendices (my favorite being "Erratic Crocodilians and Teleporting 'Gators"), and yet I am quite confident in assigning this outstanding volume a five-star rating. I anticipate burning through its contents with great enthusiasm & rapidity (as well as employing it for various evidentiary citations at Wikipedia), despite the various oth ...more
Oceana2602
The Ultimate Spot to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots and Creepiest Creatures!

The title alone promises oh so much fun for an old X-Files fan! Monsters, mysteries, American legends - a road movie/travel guide/goosebump inducing read with humour and real information.

Is it?

Wrong! Oh so wrong! This isn't X-Files revisited, and it isn't an entertaining revision of everyone's favourite ghost hunters Sam and Dean's adventures either. That would have been fun. No, "Mysterious America: The
Josh Liller
Jul 02, 2016 Josh Liller rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Maybe my youthful interest in cryptozoology and UFOs has fizzled more than a decade later, especially as I have done a great deal of serious reading in that time and work in a profession dedicated to getting the facts straight. I also see this has been on my To Read list for 6 years, probably after something else I was reading at the time referenced or recommended this book.

It's also important to note this is the 2007 softcover reprint of the 2001 updated edition of a book originally published i
Laura Cushing
Sep 27, 2013 Laura Cushing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading about cryptozoology, and weird places where strange things have supposedly happened. I don't believe in the vast majority of it, but I do like reading what evidence / reports / etc there are in favor of such things having occurred.

This book is nice because it not only presents the sightings of a creature, but also talks about which accounts can be considered somewhat credible vs not really credible at all. That is a nice objectivity, instead of an author trying to convince you th
Sharon
Apr 22, 2016 Sharon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I admit I can be a bit of a skeptic although I enjoy reading about ghosts and the like. But to make a claim that Nile monitors "mysteriously" appearing in Florida had to have been teleported there is pure fantasy and irresponsible reporting. The creatures had to have been transported - not teleported - by humans - not extraterrestrials - either intentionally or by error and released into the wild. Needless to say, I did not finish the book.
Berbs
Jul 01, 2016 Berbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting points here and there, fairly clever in its presentation. All and all an enjoyable read with a few myths you may have never heard of before.
Ashley
LOVE. I know certain people don't get it, my love of cyptozoology and paranormal things. These are my American Gods, if I may borrow an idea from another book. Most of the Bigfoot and other legends are born and reborn again and again, similiar legends go back decades and even centuries. Some of them are bastardizations of old world legends brought over mb immigrants, and some are 100% American. The point is, the legends about certain cites and creatures and WHATEVER are so tied to the area they ...more
Sean Kimmel
Feb 01, 2013 Sean Kimmel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
You may (or more likely do not) know that I engaged by the very notion of cryptids and unkown creatures. So it's no surprised I loved this book.
Coleman fills it with case studies from years of research from him and other colleagues. Then he leaves it up to the reader to decide what to believe. It's filled with topics on Bigfoot, lake monsters, maned felines, pumas, North American Apes, devil monkeys (kangeroo type creatures), The Jersey Devil, giant fish, giant snakes, and many other things.
A m
Andrew
Aug 25, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the edition I have, but this book was hugely influential on me. It was the first real book on cryptozoology and Forteana I read (before Fort himself, even). It contains some nifty stuff on coincidental naming of some Fortean "hotspots." Some of my favorite sections of the book are those dealing with Momo, giant snakes, and spates of erratic kangaroos and cats.
Faith Bicknell-Brown
I have a voracious interest in all things strange. What appealed to me about this was how much info about strange beasts, etc., were in Ohio, a state where you hear very li'l about re these topics. This is a great book for anyone who loves the weird and scary and those who like to write about those things.
Gina
Jun 29, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book to read. There are a lot of interesting "mysteries" out there. I'd recommend it to anyone who loves the unexplained. A lot of good stories in Wisconsin, too.
Loren Toddy
Not only is this a fun read but something about this world we live in that we all don't know a lot about. Informative and very intriguing. A very engaging read.
Taylor
May 25, 2012 Taylor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
a little too much chating and not enough research. If it had either more chatting or more research it would be a 3 or 4 star book.
Mark Matzke
Dec 15, 2010 Mark Matzke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coleman is the best when it comes to cryptozoology/Forteana. If you only read one book about "weird stuff" make it this one.
Zinnia
Feb 10, 2009 Zinnia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darn fantastic reference and curiousity book if you're into anything strange, cryptozoology, or paranormal.
Alissa
Feb 12, 2009 Alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book, but full of errors and comma splices that a good editor should have been able to spot.
A. Thurman
Mar 19, 2010 A. Thurman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-loan
Comprehensive, but Coleman or the publisher needs a new editor - I found grammatical errors (!)
Art
Feb 24, 2009 Art rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read on Cryptids.
Kate
Nov 03, 2010 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Complete crap
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Christopher Obert
Christopher Obert marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Heather Mcclesket
Heather Mcclesket marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Damiana Punzi
Damiana Punzi marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Matt Nikitas
Matt Nikitas rated it it was amazing
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Katlyn
Katlyn marked it as to-read
Janie C.
Janie C. marked it as to-read
  • Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America
  • Monsters of the Sea
  • The Beast of Boggy Creek The True Story of the Fouke Monster
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • Weird U.S.: Your Travel Guide to America's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets (Weird Travel Guides)
  • The Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings
  • Three Men Seeking Monsters: Six Weeks in Pursuit of Werewolves, Lake Monsters, Giant Cats, Ghostly Devil Dogs & Ape-men
  • The Cryptopedia: A Dictionary of the Weird, Strange, and Downright Bizarre
  • Starfish Girl
  • Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science
  • The Encyclopedia of Vampires, Werewolves, and Other Monsters
  • The Book of Werewolves
Loren Coleman is one of the world's leading cryptozoologists. An honorary member of the British Columbia Scientific Cryptozoology Club, and several other international organizations, he is also a Life Member of the International Society of Cryptozoology. Starting his fieldwork and investigations in 1960, after traveling and trekking extensively in pursue of cryptozoological mysteries, Coleman bega ...more
More about Loren Coleman...