Start by marking “Adventures of a Hollywood Secretary: Her Private Letters from Inside the Studios of the 1920s” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Adventures of a Hollywood Secretary is an insider’s view of the film studios of the 1920s—and the first from a secretary’s perspective. Rich in gossip, it is also an eyewitness report of Hollywood in transition. In the summer of 1924, Valeria Belletti and her friend Irma visited California, but instead of returning home to New York, the twenty-six-year-old Valeria decided ...more
Published May 15th 2006 by University of California Press (first published April 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Adventures of a Hollywood Secretary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures of a Hollywood Secretary

The Parade's Gone By... by Kevin BrownlowLulu in Hollywood by Louise BrooksHollywood by Kevin BrownlowBuster Keaton Remembered by Eleanor KeatonMy Autobiography by Charles Chaplin
Books about Silent Movies
41st out of 139 books — 51 voters
The Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsWild by Cheryl StrayedMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisLucky by Alice SeboldTruth and Beauty by Ann Patchett
Personal Essays that Should be Read
90th out of 91 books — 66 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert
I really enjoyed this. It's very slight--basically a diary through letters of a secretary's work in Holyywod ca. 1926-1928, but there's plenty of name-dropping and neat observations about some of the leading movie folk of the era.
Greta
Very entertaining diary of a woman who was Sam Goldwyn’s secretary. Lots of stuff on Ronald Colman and some on Vilma Banky. Mentions that Lionel Barrymore was terrible on stage in The Copperhead performance she saw because “he’s in terrible condition due to dope.” You never know what you'll find in people's diaries.
Lis
Fascinating. It's almost unbelievable that these are actual letters to a friend, instead of written for a novel. I love Valeria's spirit and her bold decision to leave home and live somewhere else. It's a great example of female empowerment.
Samantha Glasser
Valeria Belletti was an ordinary girl who moved to the west coast for her health. Her asthma got better in the sunshine of California, and before long she got a job as a secretary to Samuel Goldwyn. At his studio she met many famous celebrities like screenwriter Frances Marion and actor Ronald Colman. Later, she visited her home in Italy and returned to California to work for Cecil B. DeMille. Her story is told through her letters to her friend Irma which were rediscovered decades later by autho ...more
C. Zampa
I highly recommend this book for a candid, fascinating glimpse into the real world of the Hollywood studios in the 1920's.
Valerie Belletti,a young Italian New Yorker, moved to sunny Los Angeles and began work as a secretary for studio moguls. During the course of her life in California, she wrote letters to a friend back home in New York, and years later her friend compiled the correspondence and had them published. And the result is a magnificent patchwork of true stories of daily life behind-
Autumn
Totally boring in the best way. Like reading the letters you would write to your bestie if you had been living in Hollywood in the 20s. Not really for people looking for hot hot backstage gossip, but a great read for any lady in her 20s who is trying to have an adventure and figure out what to do in life. Valeria goes on dates, reads some philosophy, briefly takes up golf and Bohemia and occasionally attends a liquor party. These letters are gems and I'm so glad Irma saved them and Cari Beaucham ...more
Kim
I loved this book. It's a collection of letters sent between the years 1924-1929 from a woman who would become the secretary to Samuel Goldwyn and is associated with discovering a famous movie star from the era. I found her letters to be timeless and I loved the insight she gives to Hollywood during this period. The way she writes about prohibition, working with famous people, finding love and living in Los Angeles I truly was wrapped up in her letters!
Graceann
Nov 29, 2007 Graceann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Film Lovers
Shelves: film-history, memoir
The letters that Miss Belletti wrote were only meant to be seen by her friend, but they were so insightful, newsy and interesting that it's a lucky happenstance that they were kept. They are brilliant, fly-on-the-wall observations of Hollywood life and I couldn't bear to see the story end. It was a delight to meet Cari Beauchamp the day I finished reading this book and getting her to sign it for me. What an honor!
Jenny
A collection of letters written by Sam Goldwyn's secretary, Valerie Belletti, to a friend back home. This is a fascinating look at behind-the-scenes look at the movie-making industry. Edited by Cari Beauchamp.
Stefanie
This collection of annotated letters really brings you back into the time. It was a joy to read especially for this film degree graduate. A must read for people who are interested in early Hollywood culture.
Lesley Speed
I enjoyed this book. Much of it is banal, but that's part of the point: Valeria's letters provide a view of day-to-day life in the Hollywood studios. This book brings the period and places to life.
Jane
Years, later, I still think about this book. I loved everything about it. The everyday perspective in a "glamorous" place is pure charm.
Ashley

Truly charming
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Francesca Stephens
Francesca Stephens marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Janine
Janine marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Stephanie Woodland
Stephanie Woodland marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Jbb18
Jbb18 added it
Aug 30, 2014
Marsha Van winkle
Marsha Van winkle marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Ebonique
Ebonique marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2014