Blank-133x176
She's Gone

Kwame Senu Neville Dawes

She's Gone

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  9 reviews

A prominent Jamaican reggae singer falls in love with an African American woman while on tour in South Carolina. The two struggle to forge a relationship across a cultural and psychological divide in a story that spans from Jamaica to South Carolina to New York City.
Published by Palgrave MacMillan (first published February 1st 2007)

Shivanee (Novel Niche)
Excerpted from the full review:

"I’ve seen several volumes of Dawes’ poetry collections lining local bookstore shelves, but reading She’s Gone, a Caribbean mystic-meets-American urbane love story, is the first true interaction I’ve had with his work.

One sizzling Southern Carolina night, the paths of Kofi, a Jamaican roots reggae man, and Keisha, an American sex and gender researcher, intersect. This book is about how they come to each other, come for each other, how they live together, as well as...more
Muna_booklova
The first part of the book was engaging as the story unfoled it became less and less. When it unfolded that she was pregnant I was no longer interested, that just seemed like the easiest route for the author to take and I was dissapointed when it happened. There never seemed to be any kind of serious love match between the two characters, which is fine but then there has to be enough of a plot to keep interest. The ending sucked I was expecting better.
Leila
I bought this book at Kristin's bookshop in St. George's (Go check it out if you haven't already)!

Kwame Dawes spoke at Bermuda College awhile back and impressed me. Thought I would try this novel.

It was equal parts trashy, simple, layered, quick and delicious.

it felt like i was indulging a guilty pleasure the whole time i was reading .... and I enjoyed it :)

Kristi
Spoiler alert: Story of a passionate love affair between an unstable musician from Jamaica and a female professor from the American South. Their relationship causes them to face some of their demons before they can move forward together -- at least for the time being.

Strange and haunting.
Danielle Strickman
A debut novel about a cross-cultural relationship- set in NY, American South and Cariggean. Psychological, cultural, gender issues, all beautifully written. Ghanizn born Jamaican author.
montana
Nov 08, 2007 montana rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: babylon is a state of mind
interesting so far in terms of interaction between west indian and black american population. also about reggae... heart heart heart.
Dennis
Captivating book about an international, intercultural romance that is by no means a fairytale.
Inbal Alon
most of the time I felt like I just wanted to get through it but not for the right reasons
Leah Tallawah
Again it's been awhile but I enjoyed it, and I actually have a signed copy. :)
Carol
Great poetic realistic writing. Fierce prose.
Marci Mayhue
Marci Mayhue marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Tanuja
Tanuja marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Terrisa
Terrisa marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Felicia York
Felicia York marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Lauren K. Alleyne
Lauren K. Alleyne marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Marisa
Marisa marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Tan Morgan
Tan Morgan marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Akemi
Akemi marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Marlena
Marlena marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Shana
Shana marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Yves
Yves marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Andria
Andria marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014