Java for Dummies

Java for Dummies

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The top-selling beginning Java book is now fully updated for Java 7!Java is the platform-independent, object-oriented programming language used for developing web and mobile applications. The revised version offers new functionality and features that have programmers excited, and this popular guide covers them all. This book helps programmers create basic Java objects and...more
Published August 16th 2011 by For Dummies (first published December 11th 2006)

Trilok
It was indeed a good book providing a very good insight of the know hows of java and what it is capable of.
Palindrome Mordnilap
An excellent introduction to the Java programming language, and programming in general. Not only does Barry Burd write in a refreshing, straight-forward style, he also does a great job of explaining object-oriented programming in a way that finally sunk in for me (and I've been programming for many years).

Whether you're an experienced programmer who's new to Java (like me) or just a plain beginner to programming of any kind, this book is pitched equally well.
Lyle Appleyard
REading a technology book from 1996 is like reading a history book. The internet and technology have changed so much. It was meat to see a snapshot of what it was like then. Seventy percent of the browsers were Netscape. Where is it now? The idea of sound and video coming over the internet was an ambitious dream. Music files were in the uLaw format. Some of the information is still relevant. Java did catch on.
Lyle Appleyard
A recruiter recommended that I learn some Java. Like all Dummies book, this was good for someone who knows nothing about the subject. It was good start to learning Java. I will have to do some practial work to become more confident in it.
Andrew Rangel
Jun 13, 2012 Andrew Rangel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Jumping head first in to programming as a hobby. In between this, CodeAcademy, and iTunes U I should do well.

So far this book is a great read, and is very well laid out for beginners. Not too fast, not too slow, just right pace.
Curtis

One of the better intro's to programming in general that I looked through before I began, I can now create basic java applications after a week of readig and practice. Would have hoped for a little more meat but it was good.
Moshe Zioni
God. This is by far the worst tech book I have ever encountered, not to mention bought. (I was young...)
David
Good beginner's guide to Java, especially for someone with some programming experience.
Jsemjoli
Jsemjoli is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Kelly Bates
Kelly Bates is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2014
Hape
Hape marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Gaurav Prabhu
Gaurav Prabhu is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Daniele Caputo
Daniele Caputo is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2014
Sergio
Sergio marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Brianna Payne
Brianna Payne marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Bryan De
Bryan De marked it as to-read
Bryan De
Bryan De marked it as to-read
Michael Steinheuer
Michael Steinheuer marked it as to-read
Carl
Carl added it
May 07, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Beginning Programming with Java For Dummies Android Application Development All-In-One for Dummies Ruby on Rails For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) Java Programming for Android Developers for Dummies Java 2 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))