Start by marking “Java for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Java for Dummies

Java for Dummies

The top-selling beginning Java book is now fully updated for Java 7! Java is the platform-independent, object-oriented programming language used for developing web and mobile applications. The revised version offers new functionality and features that have programmers excited, and this popular guide covers them all. This book helps programmers create basic Java objects and ...more
Published August 16th 2011 by For Dummies (first published December 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Java for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java for Dummies

Howard Ray
Sep 10, 2015 Howard Ray rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for any beginner developer who wants to learn basic programming skills. It is also a great book for an experienced developer who wants to bring his skills to the next level by learning Java.
Henry
Oct 09, 2016 Henry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It taught me Java fairly well(with help of online material) but it was kind of tough to read and didn't cover enough topics or enough topics thuroughly
Lyle Appleyard
REading a technology book from 1996 is like reading a history book. The internet and technology have changed so much. It was meat to see a snapshot of what it was like then. Seventy percent of the browsers were Netscape. Where is it now? The idea of sound and video coming over the internet was an ambitious dream. Music files were in the uLaw format. Some of the information is still relevant. Java did catch on.
Palindrome Mordnilap
An excellent introduction to the Java programming language, and programming in general. Not only does Barry Burd write in a refreshing, straight-forward style, he also does a great job of explaining object-oriented programming in a way that finally sunk in for me (and I've been programming for many years).

Whether you're an experienced programmer who's new to Java (like me) or just a plain beginner to programming of any kind, this book is pitched equally well.
Zuzana
Nov 17, 2015 Zuzana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So useful if you want to learn this programming language. If you have studied before another programming language, you should jump some chapters. But, if you have time, I recommend you to read the whole book because it has a lot of interesting things that I didn't know and the professors don't tell you at University.
Dreyden
A very basic intro to Java fundamentals. For me, someone who doesn't understand programming at all, helped me get through my Java class. The book uses very simple analogies and metaphors to explain the basics of the Java programming language.
Andrew Rangel
Jun 13, 2012 Andrew Rangel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Jumping head first in to programming as a hobby. In between this, CodeAcademy, and iTunes U I should do well.

So far this book is a great read, and is very well laid out for beginners. Not too fast, not too slow, just right pace.
Lyle Appleyard
Jan 11, 2013 Lyle Appleyard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A recruiter recommended that I learn some Java. Like all Dummies book, this was good for someone who knows nothing about the subject. It was good start to learning Java. I will have to do some practial work to become more confident in it.
Curtis
Nov 07, 2012 Curtis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming

One of the better intro's to programming in general that I looked through before I began, I can now create basic java applications after a week of readig and practice. Would have hoped for a little more meat but it was good.
David
May 21, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good beginner's guide to Java, especially for someone with some programming experience.
Moshe Zioni
God. This is by far the worst tech book I have ever encountered, not to mention bought. (I was young...)
Trilok Reddy
Feb 01, 2014 Trilok Reddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was indeed a good book providing a very good insight of the know hows of java and what it is capable of.
Adel Wehbi
Adel Wehbi rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Lightning
Lightning rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Daniel Babbev
Daniel Babbev rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2017
Maikel
Maikel rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
nissassa007
nissassa007 rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Shirley
Shirley rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2012
Kiran Vegireddy
Kiran Vegireddy rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Dexter
Dexter rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2013
Nikhil Palekar
Nikhil Palekar rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015
Ethan
Ethan rated it did not like it
Oct 19, 2014
Charles
Charles rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Rory
Rory rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2013
Mario Peshev
Mario Peshev rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Neha Kallianpurkar
Neha Kallianpurkar rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2017
Эрдэнэзаяа
Эрдэнэзаяа rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2014
Maksim
Maksim rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
  • Podcasting For Dummies
  • Watch My Back: The Geoff Thompson Story
  • Java 2: The Complete Reference
  • Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics
  • Books by Oliver Sacks: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat / An Anthropologist on Mars/Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain
  • The Life Cycle Completed
  • The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression
  • Deal With It: A Whole New Approach to Your Body, Brain and Life as a gURL
  • HTML, XHTML & CSS for Dummies
  • Comptia A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802)
  • Head First Software Development
  • Awakenings / A Leg to Stand On / The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat / Seeing Voices

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »