Start by marking “Becoming Real” as Want to Read:
Becoming Real

Becoming Real

The Today show's psychiatrist shows readers how to stop living half a life, break old patterns, and take control

You have a story. The one you're not even aware you're telling yourself, the one you made up as a child to explain the behavior of your parents, the lack of control over your circumstances, the one that's keeping you frombecoming more confident, the story that's
Published May 11th 2004 by Riverhead Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Real

Deb
Feb 21, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
*Finally living for real*

When I picked up Gail's book "Becoming Real" I knew that I had not been happy with my life for years. After I was a few chapters into her book, I discovered why I had not been happy. As I read on, I learned what "stories" I had been telling myself that were preventing me from achieving this happiness. I realized that it was not the rest of the world that was cheating me and overlooking my talents. It was me. By the end of the book, I knew what I had to do to rewrite my s
Sharon
Jun 07, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
I found this book in the house and had no recollection of having read it previously. Even as I read it this time, I didn't remember seeing it before, so it's possible I bought it when it first came out with plans to read and never did so.

Anyway, Saltz talks about the ways we develop mental survival mechanisms as children: stories that we tell ourselves that serve us in our youth and that carry over into adulthood, where they seldom work nearly as well. She describes 10 personality types and what
Maggie
Apr 07, 2014 Maggie rated it liked it
This was an interesting read on personalities and it also fit into the books I have been reading in regards to Reconsiliation & how we need to find that initial thought that was created to protect ourselves but have now become detrimental to our daily dealings with life. Once we can figure out what that thought is we can work on changing it to help us where we are as adults & not get stuck going back to our self protected yet faulted childhood, young adulthood defenses.
Laurie
Jun 28, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it
There are two kinds of people in this world: those who like books that tell you there are two (or 3, or 6, or 10) types of people, and those who don't. I'm usually in the latter camp. But this book by Saltz actually has some valid psychological archetypes, and I found them useful for identifying some of my own patterns. Now if only I could change them ... sigh.
Mary
Oct 07, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
OK, the title is terrible. But it turned out to be one of those books that makes so much sense that you start applying it's theories to everyone you know and trying to convince people to join the cult.
Chris
Jan 16, 2009 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A well-written book that teaches us how to break unhealthy thinking patterns and keep us from realizing our God-given potential. It teaches us how to turn our painful experiences into power.
Caroline Smith
Jun 05, 2008 Caroline Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you know what you want to do but you think you can you can do it but then like you keep telling yourself a story that you can't do it even though you can do it.
Nadine Jones
Jun 18, 2008 Nadine Jones rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
A bunch of common sense hooey, like many self-help books. I didn't bother finishing it, so perhaps it gets better.
~:epiphany:~
Jan 02, 2009 ~:epiphany:~ rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! Right to the point and a must read for everyone!
cati
Oct 03, 2012 cati rated it really liked it
this was helpful
Ras Salassie
Ras Salassie marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Chad
Chad marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Guirrou Oumaima
Guirrou Oumaima marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Ley-Ann Frederiksen
Ley-Ann Frederiksen rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Jane Lane
Jane Lane marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Chris J
Chris J rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Tammi
Tammi marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Debby
Debby rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Sharon Palmeter
Sharon Palmeter marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Della Garner
Della Garner rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015