Becoming Real

Becoming Real

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The Today show's psychiatrist shows readers how to stop living half a life, break old patterns, and take control

You have a story. The one you're not even aware you're telling yourself, the one you made up as a child to explain the behavior of your parents, the lack of control over your circumstances, the one that's keeping you frombecoming more confident, the story that's...more
Published May 11th 2004 by Riverhead Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Real

Sharon
I found this book in the house and had no recollection of having read it previously. Even as I read it this time, I didn't remember seeing it before, so it's possible I bought it when it first came out with plans to read and never did so.

Anyway, Saltz talks about the ways we develop mental survival mechanisms as children: stories that we tell ourselves that serve us in our youth and that carry over into adulthood, where they seldom work nearly as well. She describes 10 personality types and what...more
Deb
*Finally living for real*

When I picked up Gail's book "Becoming Real" I knew that I had not been happy with my life for years. After I was a few chapters into her book, I discovered why I had not been happy. As I read on, I learned what "stories" I had been telling myself that were preventing me from achieving this happiness. I realized that it was not the rest of the world that was cheating me and overlooking my talents. It was me. By the end of the book, I knew what I had to do to rewrite my s...more
Maggie
This was an interesting read on personalities and it also fit into the books I have been reading in regards to Reconsiliation & how we need to find that initial thought that was created to protect ourselves but have now become detrimental to our daily dealings with life. Once we can figure out what that thought is we can work on changing it to help us where we are as adults & not get stuck going back to our self protected yet faulted childhood, young adulthood defenses.
Laurie
There are two kinds of people in this world: those who like books that tell you there are two (or 3, or 6, or 10) types of people, and those who don't. I'm usually in the latter camp. But this book by Saltz actually has some valid psychological archetypes, and I found them useful for identifying some of my own patterns. Now if only I could change them ... sigh.
Mary
OK, the title is terrible. But it turned out to be one of those books that makes so much sense that you start applying it's theories to everyone you know and trying to convince people to join the cult.
Chris
A well-written book that teaches us how to break unhealthy thinking patterns and keep us from realizing our God-given potential. It teaches us how to turn our painful experiences into power.
Caroline Smith
If you know what you want to do but you think you can you can do it but then like you keep telling yourself a story that you can't do it even though you can do it.
Nadine Jones
A bunch of common sense hooey, like many self-help books. I didn't bother finishing it, so perhaps it gets better.
~:epiphany:~
This book was awesome! Right to the point and a must read for everyone!
cati
this was helpful
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jennifer Skains
Jennifer Skains marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Sissyt
Sissyt added it
Apr 27, 2014
Lilli Kashef
Lilli Kashef marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Bridget Burke
Bridget Burke marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Gabrielle Mogannam
Gabrielle Mogannam is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2013
Carly Caraway
Carly Caraway is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2013
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Anatomy of a Secret Life: The Psychology of Living a Lie Amazing You: Getting Smart About Your Private Parts Changing You: A Guide to Body Changes and Sexuality The Ripple Effect: How Better Sex Can Lead to a Better Life When the Sex is Good, Life is Good: Discovering the Emotional Secret to Real Pleasure in the Bedroom-and Everywhere Else