Start by marking “Secrets of the Gnomes” as Want to Read:
Secrets of the Gnomes

Secrets of the Gnomes

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  955 ratings  ·  15 reviews
An account of the life and work of gnomes, based on first-hand observations by the author and artist, who, themselves turned into gnomes, visited with gnomes in Lapland and Siberia.
Published June 1st 1987 by Random House Value Publishing (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of the Gnomes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of the Gnomes

Tithe by Holly BlackThe Hunter's Moon by O.R. MellingThe Iron King by Julie KagawaDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningThrough the Mists of Faerie by The Silver Elves
Sidhe
112th out of 205 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

Traveller

These little gnomes are quite similar to British gnomes and brownies, however, they are more industrious and helpful.

These are excellent books for children; (and definitely the kind you'd keep into adulthood).

Inbetween little folktales and self-made-up stories about the fey folk, the authors pop in some general knowledge stuff, like for instance botany, biology and geology and little projects of things the gnomes make to try out yourself (especially if you're a children), with snippets of know
Paquita Maria Sanchez
Gnomes are so much cooler than trolls. They are resourceful, inventive, compassionate, loving, creative, and fun. They can communicate with animals, hitch rides on their backs, help them in times of need, and occasionally even playfully outwit them. Mostly, though, they're friends.

photo 20140128_105042_zpsa5bcda52.jpg

Trolls, on the other hand, are no friends of the gnomes. From birth, these near-monosyllabic, cretinous creatures "start kicking around blindly," solely capable of "discerning things they can pester." As the secret b
Kara
Sep 24, 2008 Kara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kara by: Gift from Matthew Seuschek
This was a fun book. Anyone who appreciates being cozy and loves going on little adventures will love this one. And of course any gnome lover will be thrilled at all the gnome info gathered on its pages.
Tonari
E' ormai perso in qualche meandro di casa dei miei, in attesa di tornare alla luce quando meno lo si aspetta.

Letto ormai parecchi anni fa me lo ricordo comunque come una lettura piacevolissima: �� l'avventura di due uomini tramutatisi in gnomi che studiano da vicino le abitudini, i costumi e gli strumenti di questo curioso popolo, compilando una sorta di vademecum. Il finale forse �� un po' troppo moraleggiante, ma ci si pu�� passare sopra.
Molto belle le immagini, un libro consigliato (da legg

BoekenTrol
Again I loved the drawings in this book. The text too, but to me that was not the most important. At the time that I read it, this book openened new worlds to me, not only the gnome world, but also worlds as in other countries.
I was very scared by the very realistic drawings of the trolls, but the interesting things: how gnomes live, what they do, how they dress, differences between gnomes in different parts of the world made that less. And, after reading it many times, I already knew when the t
Penelope Brown
I am a big nerd, so I loved it!
Elias
It's a good story and the images by Rien Poortvliet are amazing. The most disturbing thing about this book, is that it is a sequel to the book 'Gnomes' by the same author, Wil Huygen, but contradicts the first book in some ways. Therefor my rating is only two stars: it was OK.
Marji
Ik heb een paar boeken van Poortvliet, van de trollen en het leven van de kabouters. Absoluut adorable, heerlijk om in weg te duiken op een regenachtig weekend, prachtige illustraties, uitleg en wat mij betreft, Kabouters bestaan!
Fredrick Danysh
Gnomes are mythical creature found in yards and on one travel website. With easy to read information and colorful illustrations, the author dwells into the creatures habits and lifestyle.
Linda
Gnomes are friendly with animals and know all the plants. This quality reminds me of my oldest daughter. The book has a wonderful story quality because of its illustrations.
Jason Ruggles
I loved this book. The illustrations are amazing, if a bit dated. And who knew there'd be a takeaway message at the end?
Myriam
Zeer mooie tekeningen met grappige teksten. je zou beginnen denken dat kabouters echt bestaan of is dat zo???
flannery
someday i am going to make some man VERY HAPPY (when i tell him the secrets of the gnomes)
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Virginia Marie Rodriguez
Virginia Marie Rodriguez marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Savannah Santilli
Savannah Santilli marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Kymberley Page
Kymberley Page marked it as to-read
Amanda Quental
Amanda Quental marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
  • The Goblin Companion
  • Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins: An Encyclopedia
  • The Secret History of Giants
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • Fairies
Dogs The Complete Gnomes Gnomes The Book of the Sandman and the Alphabet of Sleep Noah's Ark