Start by marking “The Blackbird Papers” as Want to Read:
The Blackbird Papers

The Blackbird Papers

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  35 reviews
A rainy night . . . A stranded motorist . . . A Good Samaritan passerby … a Nobel Prize–winning professor . . . The setup for a shocking murder designed to cover up an even more sinister crime . . .

The Blackbird Papers marks the debut of Ian Smith, a major new talent in crime fiction, and of Sterling Bledsoe, his smart and occasionally combative sleuth.

World-renowned Dar
Published June 15th 2004 by Doubleday (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Blackbird Papers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blackbird Papers

La Tonya  Jordan
Mar 22, 2015 La Tonya Jordan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Suspense, Mystery
Recommended to La Tonya by: Circle of Friends Book Club
Shelves: good-read
A novel which will leave you in suspense: introducing Sterling Bledsoe a FBI agent with finesse, ingénues, cleverness, and a way at getting to the truth. He is investigating the untimely and mysterious death of his brother Wilson Bledsoe, a world-renowned professor at Dartmouth.

The murder takes him through twist, turns, and valley leading him finally to dead blackbirds. (view spoiler)
Mocha Girl
prominent, award-winning African American Dartmouth etiologist is murdered in rural Vermont and his brother, FBI Special Agent, Sterling Bledsoe, spearheads the investigation. When circumstantial evidence points to white supremacists, Sterling senses a cover-up and digs deeper to find the truth. The story then follows his methodical steps as he conducts interviews, observes autopsies, and delves into his famous brother's clandestine research project involving thousands of dead blackbirds found ...more
Linda Boyd
This is a debut book by written Dr.Ian Smith. Dr. Wilson Bledsoe, a scientist and professor at Dartmouth college has been working on the untimely deaths of blackbirds. One night on his way home from a party celebrating another award, Wilson Bledsoe is murdered, the question is why, his brother Sterling Bledsoe is a FBI agent and is called in to find out what has happened to his brother. This is a good first novel by Ian Smith.
Betterthanfiction
When the going gets tough, some of the tough read cheesy murder mysteries. I grabbed this one at random (ok, the cover was red and shiny). Blackbird turned out to be one of the best and most imaginative mysteries I have read in ages. While most mysteries fit into a category of one or another (cozy, medical, true crime), Smith doesn’t pigeonhole himself. The plot is good and fast moving, lots of action without getting really squishy, bits of interesting science and medical fact thrown in and real ...more
Donna Bennett
The plot was good but not executed in a way that excited me as a reader. Quite obviously there was a lot of research put into this book. The ecological thriller bored me. I was lost with all of the scientific terminology, etc. Ian Smith did ok breaking down concepts. The mystery became so deep that the plot was hard to keep up with. Many of the clues throughout the story were too easy for Sterling to find. If he needed certain information, he found it. The number of supporting characters clouded ...more
Anna
The Blackbird Papers is a mystery novel by Ian Smith. It is his debut novel. On his way home after receiving a prestigious award, Professor Wilson Bledsoe, who teaches at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, is murdered. His brother, FBI agent Sterling Bledsoe persuades his boss to allow him to lead the investigation into the murder. Carved into his brother’s chest is the word “nigger.” At first the trail leads to a group of white supremacist. Sterling, however, is skeptical. The men hav ...more
Paul Parsons
Sometimes, I read a book to take me back in time. This murder mystery, written by Ian Smith, better known now for his TV persona and self help efforts, opens in Hanover New Hampshire on the campus of Dartmouth College, my alma mater. The story itself is a better than average one, but what I enjoyed most was the feeling of being back in Hanover. I was a bit surprised, when reviewing Smith's bio, to find he did not get his degree there. If you love this genre, this book might be worth your time.
Jenn
Carolyn
Maybe some of you know who this author is - apparently he's a doctor who is sometimes on "The View" ? Whatever. I picked this up because the blurb intrigued me. A mystery novel complete with dysfunctional family relationships, potentially racially motivated crimes, and small-town secrets. Pretty enjoyable.
Homewood Public Library
Dr. Ian Smith is famous for trying to get America to lose weight and get healthy. He has written several books on the subject. Several years ago he got the fiction bug and penned a book entitled The Blackbird Papers.

The Blackbird Papers centers on the disappearance and death of a prominent African-American Ethologist at Dartmouth College. The lead FBI investigator happens to be the professor’s estranged brother who still suffers from being the number two son. As a reader you are left wondering w
Kathryn Harriet
Engaging all the way through with a few unexpected plot twists that added to the, could-not-put-it-down-until-I-finished-it, thrill of the story.
Casi K.
I expected to really like this book. I didn't. Probably one of the most boring "thrillers" I've ever read. It felt like someone did a whole bunch of research and wrapped a story around it. It didn't have that natural flow that it should have had. A lot of the phrases and metaphors were very common and cliché. I was glad when it finally ended. On a positive note, it was very well researched and I learned a lot about blackbirds and sunflowers.
Christy Walker
I had some time to spare and thought I'd give this a try since I watched celebrity fit club. Boy was I surprised. I read the whole thing, had a hard time putting it down, in one day. The characters were imperfect and the story line intriguing. I was pretty sure I wnew whodunit as soon as it was done, but there was a gutpunch at the end that threw me, even though I saw it coming.
Erin
I though the book was really well written and gave you the feeling of being out in the wild with the characters....although i had my suspicions about one character...which later turned out to be true....the twists and turns and conspiracy against human kind at the end were unseen and thrilling.....def a good read
Monique
Murder in a small college town..a distinguished scholar stops to help a fellow pedestrian and it ends up being his last night--but why? As his estranged brother tries to piece the puzzle together more questions are raised and the surprise at the end will definitely catch you off guard..Good but not great read.
Ben
An entertaining "whodunit" with elements of corporate conspiracy. This is author Ian Smith's debut novel and that showed at times in that plot movement and character development was occasionally clunky, but I would definitely be interested in more novels from this author like "The Blackbird Papers."
Sholeen
Seems the only draw is the descriptions of the Upper Valley, and those don't really ring true from my experience. I think I made it to page 15 or something. Life is short and there are tons of great books out there....
Kanesha
This was a very good book! Before this I only knew of Ian Smith as Dr. Ian Smith on Celebrity Fit Club but he took this book to a new level. I would suggest this book to anyone looking for a good exciting read.
Michelle Patterson
Loved it; page turner. The characters are so fresh and vivid. I enjoyed this debut novel and hoping Ian Smith writes another follow up one. It was refreshing to see a well written, thought out plot.
Carol
Oct 07, 2007 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: urban-romance
Ian Smith is a creative writer.
I read this book in two days.
This books is full of suspense, detailed plots, and very intense.
Easy to read!
A well writing book.....
K
good 1st. some typos in arc, some dangling scenarios, but overall good popcorn. wonder about some of the factual info re redwing blackbirds, sunflower oil corps, etc.
Eboni
Excellent murder suspense! Definitely did not expect the ending and hate there has not been a follow up to this book.
Kate
Oct 22, 2009 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: k9lyons@gmail.com
I didn't want to put this book down! A well-written story with very believable characters.
Melina
I wish the author would try his hand at another work of fictionl I really enjoyed this story.
Tom
Nice read, some unusual, unexpexted turns in a classical "whodunnit". Really nice setting.
June
This book was a well written and exciting mystery with lots of twists and turns.
Daphne
Come on Dr. Smith! This was a phenomenal read! Where's the next book????
Cindy Smith
this was ok to good. had your murder, rogue fbi agent, chases, etc
Markw
what a great book...lot of intrigue around campus and real world
Sam
Really good book worth reading. Highly recommend.
  • Cinnamon Kiss (Easy Rawlins #10)
  • Dying in the Dark (Tamara Hayle, #7)
  • The River Where Blood Is Born (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
  • Shades of Jade (Strivers Row)
  • Heard It All Before
  • Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)
  • Bruised Hibiscus
  • What Becomes of the Brokenhearted: A Memoir
  • Camilla's Roses
  • The Future Has a Past: Stories
  • A Life in Letters
  • Drama In The Church
  • A Love Noire: A Novel
  • Who Does She Think She Is?
  • Passport Diaries
  • Rhythms
  • The Same River Twice
Librarian's Note: There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads.
More about Ian Smith...