Start by marking “A Friend Like You” as Want to Read:
A Friend Like You

A Friend Like You

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Adorable photos of unlikely-but-true animal friends, paired with easy-to-read text, create a heartwarming portrait of the many faces of friendship.

Photographer Tanja Askani adopts orphaned or injured animals -- wolf pups, raccoons, owls, rabbits, and fawns, among others -- and under her care, unexpected friendships form. This collection of Tanja's heart-meltingly cute phot
Published December 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Friend Like You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Friend Like You

Kathryn
4.5 STARS When I first picked this book up at the library I thought it would be little more than one of those glorified email forwards (you know the ones, with the cute animals in funny or adorable situations) but, well, I'm a sucker for those forwards so I added this to my stack. And, I'm so glad I did! It ended up being much more than just a book with cute animal pictures.

The "story" is one about friendship, how the most unlikely pairings can yield strong friendships and how to be a good frien
Ann
Mar 10, 2011 Ann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Animal lovers!
The text here isn't anything amazing, but the pictures and theme are just so cute that I fell in love!

Askani rehabilitates wildlife and some of her "patients" have become good friends, despite their being different species.

The end of the book has more detail about each of the animals, what they are and how they came to Askani, that young (and old) animal lovers are sure to delight in!

Lisa Vegan
Mar 18, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all animal loving kids, and adults too
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
So, the story in the book proper is a simple little one about friendship of interest only to young kids, I’d think. So, why did I give this book 5 stars? First of all, each page has superb photographs of paired animal friends, and secondly, and most importantly, in the back of the book there is a one page section about the author and then a three page long section about the animals. And, it would be a shame not to share all that information with everyone, even the youngest children. The photos i ...more
babyhippoface
The "Cute Factor" is over the top on this one. :)

Excellent photos of unlikely pairs of animal friends are the highlight of this simple picture book by Tanja Askani, who has devoted her life to protecting wild animals, especially those orphaned or wounded. 18 crisp, color photographs reveal some of the personalities involved in the friendships, from a squirrel-owl combo to a cat-rat pair, and including more exotic animals like coatis and martens. Accompanying text emphasizes the importance of fri
Kathleen Garber
This is a beautiful photo book with real photographs of unlikely animal friends (Like dogs and birds, cats and rats, rabbit and coati, hedgehog and rabbit...) Accompanying each photo is a few words about friendship, so that read together it seems like a poem (Something just tells me we are going to get along, we'll share adventures....)

Also at the end of the book is a short paragraph of facts about the friends. e.g. names, how they met, where they live, their owners etc....)

My favourite photo is
David
Photographer Tanja Askani adopts orphaned or injured animals -- wolf pups, raccoons, owls, rabbits, and fawns, among others -- and under her care, unexpected friendships form. This collection of Tanja's cute photographs, accompanied by simple text celebrating the comforts & delights of friendship, is sure to appeal to anyone who loves animals & appreciates a true friend.

A Friend Like You features very cute pictures of odd couple animal pairings. Tanja Askani indentifies the animals and
Bookless00
I'm so bummed the photo of the book cover isn't showing up on this web link! Photographs of rescued animals who have made some unlikely friendships with one another. Simple text about friendship and devotiona accompanies the full-page photographs. Stories of the individual animals and Tanja, their rescuer, are included at the end of the book. Also see Owen and Mzee:the True Story of a Remarkable Friendship by Isabella Hatkoff.
Kay Dugan
I noticed that many of us like animals, especially by looking at everyone's profiles. This is a book for all groups, not just for little kids. It is a photo essay of unlikely animal pairings. The photos are great and were taken by the author during her work with rescued animals. For each picture the author includes a description of what true friends are.
VegasGal
In short - I loved this adorable, short and sweet, heartwarming photo collection of animal friends.
While the words were a bit mushy, they didn't overwhelm the reader and cause any spontaneous eye-rolling or gagging from too much sweetness.
I especially enjoyed the end of the book that included the author's personal stories of each animal photographed.
Sara
AAAA this book is full of cute squeeness. Large photographs of actual adorable animals actually hanging out (A PIG AND A DOG, A BUNNY AND A DEER, A DOG AND A FOX), and sweet simple text about friendship. PERFECT for toddlers, I might read it to preschoolers just because they will LOVE the photos (even though the text is super simple). So. Cute.
Peacegal
"Squee Lit" has a new contender with "A Friend Like You." Animals in unusual interspecies friendships are displayed in a variety of adorable photographs. Best of all, these weren't simply confused young animals shoved together for a snapshot, but a wildlife rehabber's rescued critters caught in moments of genuine interaction.
Michelle
This book is a bunch of pictures with various kinds of animals hanging out together, some of whom are not usually friends. The best feature is at the back of the book where she explains each of the animals and how they became friends. Adorable cuteness
Amanda
I don't know what the best thing is in this book: the excellent photos; the simple, loving text; or the fact that this is all true and from the farm of the author . . . so she sees this sort of everyday magic all the time.
Tricia
Using photos of rescued animals ranging from hedgehogs to wolf pups, this book has simple text about friendship. Children will love seeing how the animals are interacting with each other in the photographs.
Kim
Photographs accompany this book about different animals being friends. The animals are raised by one woman who takes in abandoned and injured wildlife. Nice way to discuss what makes a friend.
Beth
Anyone of animal can be a good friend. The photographs of the animals are charming. The photograph of Remy the Rat and Livia the cat is so unlikely that it can only be real. This is an adorable book.
Emily
omg this is one of the cutest animal picture books ever, almost better than mr Winkle and mr winkle is THE cutest animal ever, he won a contest...
pick it up and feel all gooey (in a good way)
Kristen
I love the photographs. They are adorable. The text is pretty "meh" however, and I wouldn't recommend this for story time. More of a one-on-one book with an animal lover.
Renee
Feb 10, 2011 Renee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK-K
This was so cute, it's ridiculous. I liked the explanations about the different featured animals at the ends. Sure to fly off elementary school libary shelves.

Brandy Locchetta
Absolutely precious! A must have if you teach young children. The pictures are fantastic and so rich in content though the words are very few... Love it!
Julia Jasztal
I liked the real pictures of the real animals but I got bored reading the paragraph about each at the end. My Mom liked reading those though.
carissa
Recommended Ages: toddlers - pre-K

Simple text and photographs of unexpected animal pairs reveal different aspects of friendship.
Amanda
Short and sweet. Interesting animals pictured in odd pairings. Thank goodness for the descriptions in the back!
Alexa
Cute pictures made all the more awesome by explanations of the animals and their relationships in the back.
KarenB
This is the most adorable book about friendship. Recommended for every age and all animal lovers.
Karen
quick read, easy to understand, cute illustrations, great book for kids
Leah
Awesomely cutes pics of animal friends + a sweet story about friendship.
Prplpckl
A book about friendship as depicted by random animal pairs in photos.
Dana
Super cute and would work for storytimes of many ages.
Allison
This is the most adorable kids book!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kinship with the Wolf: The Amazing Story of the Woman Who Lives with Wolves Unsere Wölfin Flocke: Vom Abenteuer, Ein Raubtier Zu Hause Aufzuziehen Wolfsspuren: Die Frau, die mit den Wölfen lebt