Start by marking “Brownie & Pearl Step Out” as Want to Read:
Brownie & Pearl Step Out

Brownie & Pearl Step Out (Brownie & Pearl)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Meet Brownie, a little girl with a flair for the frou-frou, and Pearl, her feisty feline sidekick! They’re heading out on the town for a birthday party, and the celebration is certain to be filled with friends and presents and games and treats. But when Brownie feels shy about ringing the doorbell, will Pearl be able to revive her stepping-out spirit?

With its si...more
Published December 29th 2009 by Beach Lane Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Brownie & Pearl Step Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brownie & Pearl Step Out

Destiny Dawn Long
My daughter loves this book. As soon as she saw it at the library, she insisted that we borrow it. And since then we've read it countless times. The story is simple: a shy little girl and her cat go to a birthday party, when the girl has doubts her cat takes the lead, and ultimately a good time is had by all. It seems to be targeted toward beginning readers--all of the sentences are short. Structures are repetitive. Word choices are basic. Which are all things that can make it a bore to read alo...more
Tasha
In this simple, charming story, Rylant explores shyness. Brownie, the little girl, and Pearl, her cat, are going to a birthday party that cats are invited to too. Once they are at the door to the party, Brownie starts to feel shy about knocking. Pearl, though, is not shy at all and enters the house by the cat door, forcing Brownie to have to knock and join the party. By the end of the party, full of cake and ice cream and having played lots of games, Brownie is very happy to have come.

Rylant ha...more
Julie
Here is a simple, attractive book suitable for reading aloud (concepts: friendship, pets, birthday parties) but also wonderful for beginning readers.

A little girl named Brownie is on the way to a birthday party with her cat Pearl. At the doorstep, Brownie feels too shy to knock. Pearl confidently steps through the kitty door. Now Pearl must knock and follow her cat. Both have a great time at the party, of course.

No page has more than 4 sentences nor more than 13 words. The illustrations are lar...more
Sweet's Family Bookshelves
Super easy reader. Preschool and younger. Not too much to the story but has such beautiful pictures that we read it anyway. :)
Librariansteph
"Brownie & Pearl" is a great series for 2 year olds. Reminds me of Maisy, which my kids loved as toddlers.
Cassie
Brownie & Pearl are headed out to a birthday party for kids and cats. Brownie is a bit shy to actually knock at the door, but not Pearl who boldly enters through the cat door. Good for you Pearl! Brownie has to knock now and at the end of the party, is very happy she did.
The color palette used by Brian Briggs first drew me to this new birthday book by Cynthia Rylant. The cover is eye-catching and very cutsie and the story is fun to share aloud and even great for a beginning reader to share w...more
Jodie
An easy read story about a girl and a cat.
Bridget R. Wilson
Brownie and her cat Pearl are going to a birthday party. Brownie's not sure about going in, but Pearl is. They play games, eat cake and ice cream, and have a wonderful time.

What I thought: A great book. The text is perfect for preschoolers. The illustrations are great--so colorful. I predict this book will be popular with my Fancy Nancy/Princess fans.

Exciting news, readers! Brownie & Pearl is a series. The second book Brownie & Pearl Get Dolled Up was published in May

Story Time Themes: C...more
Jennifer Danko
Cynthia Rylant did a great job at presenting a simple moral to this great children’s book. Without making it obvious she let the children know that is better to face your fears than to walk away from them all together. The pictures are bright colorful. The hues of pink and flowers everywhere make this book especially attractive for girls. The book is an easy read and great for children who are learning to read. There are only a few words on each page. This creates a less intimidating challenge...more
The Library Lady
I love cats--I have two. I love little brunette girls--I have two. And I (generally) love Cynthia Rylant's books--I have many on the library shelves. So why don't I like this?

Perhaps because it's cloyingly sweet in both art--looks like the worst of Japanese "cute". Perhaps because of the text, which is stilted in a "Pat the Bunny" sort of fashion.Probably both.

Did Rylant really write this? Was she overdosed on last year's Easter candy or something?

And this is apparently a new series.
Feh............more
New Lenox
Great read-alouds!
Meredith
Brownie and Pearl attend a birthday party to which cats are invited.

The Brownie & Pearl series in which the odd idiomatic phrases "get dolled up," "go for a spin," "grab a bite," "hit the hay," "make good," "see the sights," "step out," and "take a dip" are illustrated and explored is extremely cute and a hit with toddler girls. However, my husband and I find the lack of parental supervision is somewhat disturbing.
S.j.reads
Cute story with adorable pictures. I expected Brownie to become ill after all the cake and ice cream (I have boys...it's what they'd want in a book) and was glad to see that wasn't the case...although the picture made it seem that way. Still, the girls really enjoyed this one and liked pointing things out in the pictures. Probably not one I'll re-read a bunch or get out again, but nice book to borrow from the library.
Jess Brown
Rylant does a nice job of using easy beginning-to-read words combined with bright, attractive illustrations to explore shyness and timidity. Brownie is nervous about attending a birthday party (which I'm sure many kids will feel, naturally), but through the help of eager Pearl, she finds herself having a great time. I like that this book is both a good read aloud and good for beginning readers.
Franki Sibberson
I was very excited to see a new book by Cynthia Rylant! This one is very different from her others and I am wondering if it is going to be a series. A very simple picture book about a little girl and her cat who are attending a party. They are feeling a little shy at the beginning but then end up having a great time! The illustrations will draw kids in.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I was disappointed by this one. The language was a bit too spare, sounding like a Dick and Jane book. It was very simple. I'd recomend this one if you have a very young girl child with a pretty short attention span.

This book gets girly bonus points for being very pink.
Sarah Souther
Brownie goes to a party with her cat, Pearl, but finds she is shy. Pearl isn't. The story is a bit simple and bland to read to a small child. If there were slightly fewer words on a line, this would be a great easy reader. The illustrations are bright and fun.
Dolly
Oct 02, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: 2010, birthday, childrens, pets
Cute story about a birthday party and how a little girl overcomes her shyness to enjoy herself. Very cute and colorful illustrations and simple narrative - perfect for beginning readers. We've read this one a few times.
Mary
Feb 05, 2010 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Brownie is a shy little girl on her way to a birthday party with her cat. A sweet, simple story by Cynthia Rylant. Perfect for toddlers and prechoolers or beginning readers.
Melissa
A good short book that introduces what might happen at a party (games, ice cream) and how a child might feel (shy, happy). Cute illustrations.
Nicole
A girl and her cat go to a birthday party. The girl is nervous before going in, but the cat is excited and runs ahead through the cat door!
Destinee Sutton
So the little girl is named Brownie and the cat is named Pearl? Really? That's like if she named the boy Mudge and the dog Henry.
Christi
The kids gave this one a five! The illustrations are sweet. The Bownie and Pearl books are cute and fun for beginning readers!
Victoria Vogel
My daughter absolutely loved Brownie and Pearl and asks for this book over and over again.
Really cute book about overcoming shyness. It helps to have a cat to lead the way.
Ruth
Eliza read this book and memorized it! She loved it so much, we had to buy our own copy.
Denise
Bright illustrations and light text make this great for storytime with toddlers.
the Reeds
simplistic early reader. the younger ones liked it well enough.
Peacegal
Brownie overcomes her shyness about attending a birthday party.
Connie
Mar 30, 2010 Connie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: jv
Little girl, Brownie, and her cat go to a birthday party.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...
The Relatives Came Missing May When I Was Young in the Mountains Henry and Mudge: The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1) Old Town in the Green Groves: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Lost Little House Years