Start by marking “Contes de Les Mille et Une Nuits” as Want to Read:
Contes de Les Mille et Une Nuits

Contes de Les Mille et Une Nuits

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This scarce antiquarian book is included in our special Legacy Reprint Series. In the interest of creating a more extensive selection of rare historical book reprints, we have chosen to reproduce this title even though it may possibly have occasional imperfections such as missing and blurred pages, missing text, poor pictures, markings, dark backgrounds and other reproduct ...more
Paperback, Jean Claude Lattes -Paris, 391 pages
Published 1987 by Bibliotheque Lattes -Paris (first published January 1st 1909)

To ask other readers questions about Contes de Les Mille et Une Nuits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contes de Les Mille et Une Nuits

Saskia Marijke Niehorster-Cook
Sweet rendering of the many tales (though not all the one thousand and one nights) of Shahrazad to her cruel husband who so far marries a virgin each night only to behead her in the morning. This is the tale of an intelligent and ingenuous woman who uses her gift of lore and story telling to entice a cruel man to let her live just one more night if only to know the ending of a story through out a thousand and one nights. A total of two and a half years of story telling! She even bears him childr ...more
Miranda
" I just finished this book after starting it two years ago on a fun solo trip that I took to Victoria, BC. I spent the entire weekend sitting in various coffee shops and tea houses reading this book. It was a perfect thing to do on a recreational trip with it's stories of intrigue and mystery. It took, this group reading it for me to finish the last hundred pages or so though.

I was most interested in seeing how pervasive faith and God was to the Middle Eastern culture. Every single story has Go
Todd Nemet
My daughter got this from her violin teacher as a gift for practicing (which I'm pretty sure she lied about).

Arabian Nights is one of those classics that I always wanted to check out, so I figured this 200 or so pages in large print would be worth checking out. There are also some very-faded illustrated plates by Edmund Dulac scattered throughout the book.

There are six stories from Arabian nights in this book, and it dispatched with the framing story of the queen who tells nightly stories to sav
Melissa Knight
I enjoyed Nights quite a bit. The stories are varied in terms of subject matter and genre, and there's plenty of ladies with magical powers, genies and family drama to keep one entertained. My main regret is that the Lane translation is bowdlerized and has been purged of all the things Victorians would find distasteful, namely the sexy bits. I think I'll pick up a different version one day and read it again once i've had a little time.
Julie Herr
First of all the version I read was 200 pages not 144 so it was slightly longer than the information on the site would let you believe. These are interesting stories. I especially enjoyed the stories about Sinbad the Sailor. I expected the stories to be shorter and there to be more of them but I was wrong. The stories were very detailed, sometimes overly detailed. Overall all of the stories were enjoyable.
Peter
Aug 21, 2008 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love stories
Shelves: partly-read
Wonderful stories and images, entire cities and palaces springing out of the imaginations of the tales' tellers. Rich tapestry of a culture built around hospitality, honor, deep and sometimes forbidden emotions.

Slowly working my way through this.
Dorothy
A rediscovered old much-loved edition. My favorite story is still "Farizad of the Rose's Smile."
Lorna
If you love Grimms......you will love this....I did.
Sarah Judd
Sarah Judd marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Marianne Stone
Marianne Stone marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Cherie
Cherie marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Catzen Welch
Catzen Welch marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Sandeep Soodan
Sandeep Soodan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Linda Fouquet
Linda Fouquet is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Lena Steinberg
Lena Steinberg marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Lara Mandli
Lara Mandli marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Keepitplainjane
Keepitplainjane marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Sirona
Sirona added it
Aug 05, 2014
Mandy D
Mandy D marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Delmy  =^.^=
Delmy =^.^= marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
mensch
mensch added it
Jun 28, 2014
Brandi Neifert
Brandi Neifert marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Quran