Start by marking “The Art of Happiness at Work” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Art of Happiness a...

Dalai Lama XIV

The Art of Happiness at Work

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  1,556 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
In this instructive book, His Holiness the Dalai Lama and his Art of Happiness coauthor, Dr. Howard Cutler, apply 2,500 years of Buddhist tradition to the most pressing life issue that many of us face: How do we turn our work and careers into a meaningful, satisfying part of our lives? Utilizing common sense, ancient teachings, and modern psychiatry, The Art of Happiness a ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Riverhead Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Happiness at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Happiness at Work

Laura Lynch
Oct 18, 2009 Laura Lynch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was inspiring, so much so that I read it twice. The comments of the Dalai Lama on happiness at work are relevant and based on common sense and spirituality. One idea is that you have freedom to choose how you approach your career and your co-workers, although other aspects may be beyond your control.. Attitude and balance are also key along with finding your purpose at work. It can be as simple as smiling at people and offering encouragement. Lastly, look at problems both job and life ...more
Jill
Nov 13, 2009 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quotes to remember:

“He reminds us that if we can change some of the external conditions at the workplace that contribute to our dissatisfaction, we certainly should. If not, although it is not always easy or quick, it is still possible to be happy at work through reshaping our attitudes and outlook, through inner training.”

Look at a tense situation as a way to improve yourself. Stay calm and react with dignity.

“Our attitudes about money are more important than the amount we make. As always, in
Sophie
So, I wanted to read a book by the Dalai Lama. I don't even know why I picked it; there are quite a few at our store and I think I just liked the introduction. In any case, this was the first book by the Dalai Lama I read (or maybe I should say "read and finished", because I remember borrowing some of books from our local library when I was still at school, but I never was able to finish them because I found them rather difficult to read).

Technically (and factually) saying that this book is "by
Bayartsetseg Bela
Хүн өөрийн дуртай зүйлээ хийж, тэрнээсээ аз жаргал авч амьдрах нь хамгийн сайхан, хүний хүсч тэмүүлэх ёстой зүйл юм гэдгийг энэ номонд өгүүлсэн. Далай ламтай хийсэн ярилцлагаар энгийн хэрнээ, харилцан ярианы хэлбэрээр бичсэн бөгөөд ойлгоход хэцүү, хүнд хэллэг огт байхгүй. Хүн ямар ч ажил хийгээд мөнгөтэй, нэр хүндтэй болж болно. Гагцхүү тэр хийж байгаа зүйл нь өөрийнхөө бүх сэтгэл зүрхээ зориулан дурласан ажил мөн үү үгүй юу гэдгээс их зүйл хамаарна. Миний бодож явдаг, бусадтай зөрчилддөг байсан ...more
Erin  Cisewski
This book leaned heavily toward the experiences of upper class western industrial workers. Many examples seemed to be from corporate ladder climbers. The brief mention of working class women (who work in a supermarket) critiqued their attitude toward the customer/author whom they were serving. It criticized one worker's attitude and demeanor and how it affected the author/customer negatively, without giving space for a larger social analysis of the situation.

I want to read the book written by t
Brad McKenna
Nov 05, 2015 Brad McKenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
More useful advice from The Dalai Lama! I read The Art of Happiness years ago and if you have not, read that one first.

This book finds Dr. Cutler talking with His Holiness again, specifically about being happy at work. Ever the pragmatist the Dalai Lama admits that not everyone can have a job they love. So his advice focusing on having a positive attitude and thinking about how your work, even if it seems mundane and paltry, can indeed do good. One of his examples is a working on an assembly li
Laurie
Nov 04, 2011 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This helped me to deal with a situation at work of being bullied by a co-worker. I also shared some of the principals with middle and high school students I work with, specifically the concept of working for the money vs. career aspirations/fame vs. a calling; that one must follow a calling to be truly happy and can combined with the other factors but not excluded.
Winnie
Oct 05, 2014 Winnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
If you are a Christian and you read Bible regularly, I'd suggest you skip this one. The few insights draw from the long paragraphs in the Q&A manner are just one sentence as you can find in the Bible. I don't think it worth the time unless you are interested in knowing the richer context/details from Buddhist perspective.

One key takeaway tho: if you view work as just a job, the primary focus is on the financial rewards; if you view work as a career, the focus is on advancement; if you view w
Betsy Ng
Oct 10, 2015 Betsy Ng rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book, I'm hoping to find my happiness at work. If you are looking for an answer, this book does not provide you with an explicit answer. Rather, it opens up to various perspectives of finding meaning in your work and valuing your work. I like the way he shared about 3 different ways of perceiving your work: 1) do you see your work as a job that provides your financial needs; 2) do you see your work as a career for progression though pay may not be that good; 3) do you see your work ...more
Eve Kay
Sep 07, 2015 Eve Kay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are several reasons for me to dislike this book so I'll do my best to keep it short.

Firstly, I read it in the hopes of finding any kind of an answer to my current job situation. I did not find any. Also, it was apparent from the beginning I wasn't going to.
Dalailama says on several occasions in the book that he hasn't got an answer to a question or that the question he is asked needs to be viewed from the person's view whom it concerns.
He also gave vast amounts of answers I already knew m
Rebecca
Mar 21, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Buddhist thought, those who are dissatisfied with their work
The book took me quite a while to get through. Part of it was my own distraction with other books, but another part was the fact I didn't find this book quite as enlightening and enthralling as plain old Art of Happiness was. That book I could barely put down. If I did it was to ponder what I'd just read and let it sink in. I could genuinely relate to the material and found the compiling of the meetings to be very well done.

Art of Happiness at Work didn't have quite the same punch for me. Part o
Christopher Sears
The Art of Happiness at Work comes from a series of conversations between the author and the Dalai Lama. I am aware that the Dalai Lama shares credit for the book, but the format of the book makes it clear that the Dalai Lama did not do much writing of the book. However, I don't blame the Howard Cutler or the Dalai Lama for this misrepresentation.

I found that the format of the book worked well for its intent. Cutler includes his own dialog with the Dalai Lama's which gives the book an intimate f
Jason
Nov 07, 2007 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After much success with his first book in collaboration with the Dalai Lama, The Art of Happiness, Howard Cutler decided to write another book. In this book Cutler wanted to explore some ideas and topics not touched upon in the first one. Namely, since work takes up an overwhelming amount of the day for most people, how can we find happiness at work? After all, most of us cannot sit around all day in a cave without venturing out into the real world. If we have no practical way to take our spirit ...more
Patricia
I finished this a few hours ago and wrote down my first thoughts. I was reluctant to criticise Cutler because I felt any criticism would be too close to projection. But I reflected on that and realised that however true that may be, I think it's important to mention why this title isn't on the list of books I'd recommend to people interested in the thoughts of the Dalai Lama, or in finding a way to be happy at work with his help.

Before I start this, I want to say that I'm sure this book can be h
Amanda
Nov 08, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seemed like the perfect book to pick up and read. I have deep respect for The Dalai Lama and I really needed some advice on how to be happier at work.

I used to really love my job. It was exciting, for the most part, and every day usually held something new and challenging in store. Nowadays, it's not like that. There's a distinct vibe of us vs. them in most cases, IT vs. Accountants. Some of the financial folk chose to think that anyone can program so they'll just take care of what they wan
Joshua Degreiff
Nov 07, 2015 Joshua Degreiff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book have useful advices how to handle your life at work but doesn't apply all the fields. Is a good book for beginners to initiate how to be patient, have inner peace, compassionate and be happy with your life. If someone is unhappy with their work the most need to be read by better your life better, after of reading this book you should feel better about yourself. I recommend read more books of Dalai Lama That will compliment and continue your knowledge in this lifetime.
SuZanne
May 10, 2014 SuZanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I found this book in the library at Villa Sumaya on Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. I was only there eight days and reading a few others books as well, so I never finished this book. It is a book that, for me, needs to be read a little at a time and reflected or meditated upon; hence, my failure to finish it before I had to return it to the book shelf and continue my journey through Guatemala. It is a worthy read. Perhaps, if I had finished it I would give it a five star versus only four.
Nina
Apr 23, 2012 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
all the dalai lama books are quick, cheap therapy for when you're feeling depressed and sad. i flew through this book when i was unsure about work and my career and the path i wanted to pursue. it immediately put things in perspective and i found myself feeling better about things so i stopped reading it. ha.

the things he says are obvious and rational. we (westerns, first world countries) put too much emphasis on what we do for a living and how it need not be where we derive our happiness from.
Kevin
Sep 26, 2013 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, business
Mostly fluff. Maybe it was the format of the book that didn't do it for me. The entire book is a series of conversations that the author has with the Dalai Lama on the topic of work. This style gave it a bit of an unprofessional feel. Most of the dialog was not relevant or useful, hence fluff. Too much time was spent trying to explain modern work office problems to someone that has not worked in an office.

While I have not yet read the original, Art of Happiness, I can imagine what it covers base
Lauren Roemer Boehm
A little slow and repetitive. It does make you feel more grateful of your situation or want to make a change to a job that does make you feel grateful. There are so many things we complain about in the workplace when in reality, we control our attitude and feelings. We can invoke change and feel happier.
Heather
Sep 08, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the style of this piece as it had views from the Dalai Lama and Howard Cutler. This book contains a lot of great advice and probably what I took from it the most is that we can see our work as our job, career or a calling and each serves a purpose at different times. How we are in life is how we will be at our job and there is so much more to life than our jobs!
Stephanie
I enjoyed this! It's really edited interviews with the Dalai Lama on work and happiness and his basic advice is that your attitude about work matters most. There are some great anecdotes where the Dalai Lama is confused about western work culture, and also how the only alternative career he can think of for himself is to be a hermit.
Janelle
Jul 07, 2009 Janelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The narrative takes the form of a discussion between Cutler and the Dalai Lama on the nature of finding satisfaction in one's occupation. The content is great and provoked a lot of thought for myself; I also found that my attitude toward work was greatly improved on the days that I listened to this on my way there and back. A lot of their postulations came down to that: simply adjusting your individual expectations and attitude toward your work, as well as weighing your values and how they corre ...more
Loraine Lawson
Jul 05, 2016 Loraine Lawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable read that's surprisingly humorous. Westerner Howard Cutler tried hard to get the expected sound bytes from the Dalai Lama. Instead, Cutler and the reader get honesty and unanticipated insights.
Aefener Alatus
This is a very nice reading for non-Buddhists who are dissatisfied at work and want to change it. However, for me a Buddhist practitioner, the book is to shallow. It gives some practical tips based on Buddhist philosophy but it doesn't really teach dharma. Still, a rather good book.
Aaron Graves
Jan 09, 2015 Aaron Graves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carrying on some themes from the pair's first book together, The Art of Happiness, however this one focused more on work (as the title suggests), and how one might find happiness at their employment.
Keksisbaby
Jul 25, 2012 Keksisbaby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
Da hat der Übersetzer des Titels doch glatt den Englischkurs für Anfänger verpasst. Denn soweit ich weiß heißt: "The Art of Happiness at Work" nicht mal im übertragenen Sinne "Glücksregeln für den Alltag". Demzufolge hatte ich beim Lesen etwas anderes erwartet.Aber nunja wie man in seinem Job glücklich wird hat ja auch etwas für sich. Ich mochte besonders die heitere Gelassenheit des Dalai Lamas und seine Sicht der selbstverständlichen westlichen Begriffe. Ich bin nicht der Meinung das dieses Bu ...more
Alex Silva
Oct 02, 2015 Alex Silva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Um livro cativante porém menor! Digo isso porque ao ler a Arte da Felicidade, criei uma expectativa gigantesca por esta obra a qual não foi atendida...enfim..uma obra a ser lida e guardada
GN
Dec 14, 2014 GN rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was enlightening and entertaining. It gave me a new perspective of being a work and taught me how to analyse my work situations.
Togar  Silaban
Baca edisi Bahasa Indonesia.
Tenzin Gyatso, yang ditahbiskan menjadi Dalai Lama XIV, mencerahkan pembaca lewat buku yang dituliskan oleh Howard Cutler. Buku yang merupakan hasil perpaduan pemikiran kedua orang yang saling mengisi. Dalai Lama sebagai pemimpin Tibet yang juga Bhiksu, sementara Howard Cutler seorang psikolog. Diskusi kedua orang ini menjadi suatu pemikiran yang mencerahkan bagi para pekerja.

Pengalaman praktek seorang psikolog dilengkapi dengan pemikiran seorang biksu, menjadikan buk
  • Awakening the Buddhist Heart: Integrating Love, Meaning, and Connection into Every Part of Your Life
  • Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living
  • Bodhisattva Mind: Teachings to Cultivate Courage and Awareness in the Midst of Suffering
  • The Little Zen Companion
  • The Monk and the Philosopher: A Father and Son Discuss the Meaning of Life
  • Essential Zen
  • The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness
  • Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...