Start by marking “The Quilter's Kitchen (Elm Creek Quilts, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Quilter's Kitchen (Elm Creek Quilts, #13)

The Quilter's Kitchen (Elm Creek Quilts #13)

3.47  ·  Rating Details ·  2,233 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews
Anna Del Maso had known that she wanted to be a chef since she was in the seventh grade. "Somehow everything in my life ends up being about food," she realizes, as she begins the latest of her food-themed quilts. Her twin passions have converged in a brand-new position as head chef for Elm Creek Quilts, Waterford, Pennsylvania's popular quilting retreat.

As she joins the
Published October 7th 2008 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The Quilter's Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quilter's Kitchen

Pammy
Dec 08, 2008 Pammy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A very quick read with lovely endpapers, this book doesn't qualify as a novella, let alone a novel. Richer in recipes than characters or plot, it looks more like a grade-school short story writing exercise with filler pages than a complete work of any kind. I find it unthinkable that this is part of a "series." The entire "story" fits on the endflaps, and I'm not kidding(The time frame is also roughly two days). Most of the recipes look enticing, but are simple enough they can be found elsewhere ...more
chucklesthescot
I wasn't really sure what to rate this book. I was given this through bookcrossing as I have been looking to read the entire series since discovering an interest in quilting-though I have yet to start any projects!

While this book is classed as book 13 in the series, it is not really a book at all. It is a recipe book with a few pages in each chapter talking about where some of the recipes fit into the history of Elm Creek's Sylvia. It is really used to show the new quilter and chef Anna, learnin
Miriam
Jun 13, 2010 Miriam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book browsing in the library. This book had a cute idea of writing recipes in with the story, but as the other reviews say, it's a very empty story that could have been told in a few pages.

It was very repetitive and never went anywhere.

The first recipes seemed to be dumped into the middle--tripping it up instead of tying into the story. The later ones made more sense, but it seemed like they were trying too hard to string together a story when there never was a real plot. I got
Kathleen Dixon
This has to have been the biggest disappointment I've had in a book. I've been enjoying this series and, apart from one that I felt wasn't up to standard, have found them engaging and very pleasant. This one is touted as a novel with recipes, but there isn't even one chapter worth of novel, the rest is recipes. The 'novel' isn't even that - there's no plot, just 2 women tiding the kitchen and finding memories. Truly it would have taken up less than one chapter in another novel.
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, crafts
This book is worth buying just for the wonderful recipes it contains. Because of these recipes though, I do have to warn that reading this book won't take very long. The recipes are numerous and included within the story itself so the book is actually only about half as long as it looks. I'm not going to take the time to recap the rest of the books as there are twelve that come before and it would take a whole review just for that, but even so, this book could be read as a stand alone.

Sylvia, an
Michelle
This is a short book in the Elm Creek Quilt series and is the 13th novel. It is centered on the current day, with looks back in history. Rather than a full blown story, it is primarily a recipe book with the background of the preparation of the kitchen for remodeling as Sylvia and Anna clean out and pack. Sylvia remembers various short stories about certain items that they find and the recipes revolve around these particular stories. There are descriptions of holiday events, picnics, and more re ...more
Julie Barrett
Oct 25, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The quilter's kitchen an Elm Creek Quilts novel with recipes by Jennifer Chiaverini
This book is mainly about the kitchen at Elm Creek Manor. It is being renovated and Ana got the job to be the chef.
Lots of food and recipes that are served at the quilter's camp. Lots of stories about newly found dishes that hold a
place in Sylvia's heart and family. Love all the stories about the holiday foods.
Love the history of the feedsacks in quilting and farm work. Love hearing about all the treasures they f
Lauren
Jul 11, 2014 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This Elm Creek Quilts novel is just ok. It is basically a cookbook with a very short story mingled within. One of the newest additions to the quilters, Anna Del Maso, is the main character, along with Sylvia Bergstrom Compson, featured in this book. I was hoping to have Chiaverini develop her character some more, but she didn't. Instead book 13 reminisces more about the history of the Manor and retells stories from previous novels. Since the majority of the book is recipes, The Quilter's Kitchen ...more
Alma
Aug 23, 2010 Alma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is part of the Elm Creek Quilters series. It purports to be a novel, but the plot is extremely simple and thin, being only a short story about cleaning out an old kitchen and reliving the memories of meals made there. I’ve tried one recipe for mushroom soup which was pretty good and another for “Parmesan Puffs,” a kind of cheesy shortbread cooky that wasn’t a puff at all. (That one was a one-time experiment!) “Shoo-fly Pie” sounds interesting.
Loralee
Nov 28, 2010 Loralee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Chiaverini usually has engaging plots, characters whose problems interest the reader, and historical detail deftly tied into the story. This book lacks both story and cohesion, and is really more of an excuse for a cookbook. If you want to sample some recipes, go ahead; otherwise, all you need to know from this book is that Sylvia and Anna find a long-lost cornucopia during a kitchen clean-out which they decide to use for a new quilting tradition (see the Quilter's Holiday.)
Cindy
This book introduces a new character, Anna Del Maso to the Elm Creek quilers. Anna will be the new head chef at the Manor and as she and Sylvia dismantle the kitchen in preparation of remodeling, Sylvia shares some of the traditions of the Manor.

The book has some wonderful recipes related to the traditions of the Manor, which remind me of my Pennsylvania Dutch heritage and I'll be trying them soon.
Myrna
Dec 10, 2008 Myrna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I love the Elm Creek Quilters, and it was really neat seeing the recipes. The story itself wasn't very long, and the book was mainly recipes, but there were a few hints of...what? a relationship change, maybe? Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying Summer's Vegetarian Chili!
Lain
Jun 27, 2011 Lain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have liked a little more "meat" to this. The recipes look great, but there wasn't enough exposition in between.
Lindsay
Very very short book, about half is recipes. I wouldn't count this as part of the series, but rather a companion to the series
Susan T. T.
Merely a short story or narrative surrounded by the recipes from the food mentions throughout the series. A disappointment.
Sandra
Jan 09, 2017 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Looking at the recipes mostly.
Susan
Mar 15, 2017 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for the home-style recipes which are handy to have all in one book, but only 1 star for the story -- or lack thereof. I at least thought the ending might be one of the story's often recalled feasts with other characters attending. Disappointing.
Anwnh5
Mar 10, 2017 Anwnh5 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a cookbook than a novel. Contained short stories
Ruth
Mar 06, 2017 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely short read. Sylvia and the new chef Anna clear out the cabinets in the Elm Creek Manor kitchen as they prepare for a total kitchen renovation. While they find more and more Bergstrom treasures, from flour sack aprons to a beloved crystal bowl, Sylvia shares stories of what it was like growing up in the manor. A majority of the books is recipes created around the family recipes of the past.
Trish
Oct 28, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It occurs to me I am not giving Chiaverini the credit she amply deserves for imagining this series so completely and with such a sense of fun. The recipes in this book, created by Sally Sampson, include some really special treats. The recipes are from the olden days and include massive amounts of butter, but one can imagine ways to improve the calorie count. Shortly after looking through the recipes I happened to watch an episode of Julia Child on television and discover that the pie crust recip ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
In the tradition of every character needing their own book, comes The Quilter's Kitchen. Anna was introduced to Elm Creek in Circle of Quilters. In that book, she interviewed to become one of the new Elm Creek Quilters but was, instead, hired as the head chef for Elm Creek Manor. This book covers one day as Anna and Sylvia clean out the Elm Creek Manor kitchen in preparation for a major remodeling.

Anna is trying to find her place among the quilters and, predictably, the story is full of Sylvia's
Andrea Guy
I've read several books in Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilts series. I read them because I love the stories Sylvia tells about the history of Elm Creek Manor.

This book, however is bogged down by recipes, too many recipes and not enough story.

That is something I find it hard to believe, when it comes to the rich details Ms. Chiaverini goes to, in describing some of the meals that Sylvia shared with her family. Food was very much a part of life at Elm Creek Manor, but the recipes don't seem
penelopewanders
Number 13 in the Elm Creek Quilt series made available as a spiral by weeder.
I was intrigued when I realized this one wasn't on its way or circulating... so I ordered it, thinking to make it available if other spiral participants wanted to read it too.
Now that I have it and have read it, I understand why it wasn't included in the spiral. It's quite short, but more than that, it's actually more a cookbook. For this reason I am not tempted to send it on.
The whole story boils down to Anna and Sy
Lorraine
Jun 10, 2016 Lorraine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the 1st truly disappointing book of this series. The story- what there was of it- was fine, and that's the only reason why I gave it 2 stars. Most of the book-and I literally mean MOST - is made up of recipes. I'd say 2/3 recipes. I read this book in 3 days. It would have been 1 day if I had more time to read. I am not against fictional stories with recipes. A few years ago, I read and enjoyed a mystery series with recipes for the dishes they made in the story. Those were mostly story a ...more
Donna
Sep 18, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Anna Del Maso is the new chef at Elm Creek Manor. She had interviewed for a position as a quilter; but, the quilters liked the idea of her as chef, as the previous chef had quit.
Anna and Sylvia are cleaning out cupboards and other places to prepare for the kitchen to be updated with new appliances and cookware. It seems the kitchen was due for an update as had not been done since the 1940's. A lot of reminiscing is done by Sylvia as they go through the things. Sylvia tells of all the many diffe
Dlora
Mar 01, 2015 Dlora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
A short little book and not really a story. More a fleshing out of the traditions and special holiday meals revolving around the Bergstrom family. It's interesting from a historical perspective, learning about dishes and traditions dating from the 1858s, such as covered dish socials (what we'd call potlucks), the Harvest Dance social, National Quilting Day events, and other holiday activities. The stories are sparked during a remodel of the antiquated kitchen, as new chef Anna and owner Sylvia B ...more
Barbara
Oct 21, 2008 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the Elm Creek books...or a story with recipes
Shelves: general-fiction
Lovely to spend a little time with at least 2 of the Elm Creek Quilters, Sylvia and Anna.

It's definitely a short story, spread out with reflections of the celebrations of life with the kitchen (and food) at the center. About 100 recipes punctuate each chapter's reflections and some of them look TASTY! I'm thinking the pink champagne cake might get made for a friend's birthday...she'd enjoy it.

Only 2 stars because it really is a "short" story and I haven't tried any of the recipes yet. It might
Linda
Aug 11, 2014 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I made two things out of this before I read the "story" around it. Both things were well received, however not up to my standards to make my permanent collection. The story is the same way. Anna is the new cook at Elm Creek Manor. Part of the arrangement is for her to get a remodeled kitchen. She shows up to help clear out cupboards to find the owner Sylvia already doing it.

They find trash and treasures, each inspiring Sylvia to relay some Elm Creek memory. Then there are recipes. We never reall
Phoebe
Recommended by a friend who'd heard about it on the radio and thought the concept was compelling, I dove into The Quilter's Kitchen without really knowing what to expect. So no surprise, really, that the book didn't work for me. Although I was interested in the story told within the story, I didn't quite connect with the characters. The sense of urgency or risk was nil, combined with actual recipes lumped into collections that did not interact in the least with the rest of the story. It was a di ...more
Linda
Jan 05, 2013 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elm-creek-series
  • Tumbling Blocks (Benni Harper, #13)
  • Touching Stars (Shenandoah Album)
  • The Lover's Knot (Someday Quilts Mystery, #1)
  • A Single Thread (Cobbled Quilt #1)
  • The Truly Terribly Horrible Sweater...That Grandma Knit (Blossom Street Kids Books)
Jennifer Chiaverini is the New York Times bestselling author of several acclaimed historical novels and the beloved Elm Creek Quilts series, as well as six collections of quilt patterns inspired by her books. A graduate of the University of Notre Dame and the University of Chicago, she lives with her husband and two sons in Madison, Wisconsin. About her historical fiction, the Milwaukee Journal Se ...more
More about Jennifer Chiaverini...

Elm Creek Quilts (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Quilter's Apprentice (Elm Creek Quilts, #1)
  • Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)
  • The Cross-Country Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #3)
  • The Runaway Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #4)
  • The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5)
  • The Master Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #6)
  • The Sugar Camp Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #7)
  • The Christmas Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #8)
  • Circle of Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #9)
  • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)