Under the Sweetwater Rim

Under the Sweetwater Rim

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  913 ratings  ·  15 reviews

Deep in Indian country, Major Mark Devereaux and his men find a grisly scene: a wagon train savagely attacked, with no survivors. One of the wagons originally with the group is missing; in it is a fortune in gold and Devereaux’s daughter, Mary. The slaughter, Devereaux learns, was not the work of Indians but of a murderous outlaw band. With the stakes rising in a deadly ga

Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1981 by Bantam Books (first published September 1st 1971)

Caleb Despain
Okay so this honestly the first time I've reviewed anything publicly for a while, and I promised myself I'd review the next thing I saw. Then I read, "Under the Sweetwater Rim" by Louis L'amour. Honestly, I need to be careful what promises I make, as it was a rather unremarkable novel. It was my first Louis L'amour novel which I realize is something of a right of passage for Western novel readers. Everyone I know who reads Westerns seems to shower L'amour with some kind of overwhelming praise. H...more
Livia
'Under the Sweetwater Rim' was an enjoyable read. L'Amour gives his audience a feel for the country his characters travel through. Plus, this is a story of two men, Tenadore Brian and Reuben Kelsey, who make different choices in life. I won't spoil the story for anyone, but you see how life turns out for each man. Food for thought for anyone who's considering choices and different ways of doing things.
Fredrick Danysh
Major Matt Devereaux and his men find a massacred wagon train. There are no survivors but on man is missing, a lieutenant traveling with the train against orders.The major determines that the slaughter was carried out by white men not Indians. Is the missing lieutenant alive or dead and what is his relationship to the massacre?
Ratforce
Louis L’Amour is perhaps the best-known western author. This fast-paced, adventurous story of murder and betrayal combines your love of page-turning suspense and western themes and settings. Best of all, fans of Louis L’Amour will never lack for reading. He’s written dozens and dozens of well-loved westerns.
Jill shure
This book had an exciting beginning. So I thought I would be completely absorbed. I was disappointed. Though the book is a fast read, the journey seemed very predictable. As was the ending.
Sharon
This was the first "airport" book I read on a trip home from Cal. Throughout college, I would buy a new book in the airport. Otherwise, I rarely purchased books.
Jarin Smith
Lots of information about the Native Americans and reading sign. Louis L'Amour really does his homework.
Don
I liked L'Amour's memoir, Education of a Wandering Man, but I guess I don't have a taste for his westerns.
Tony
Also read this book for the first time on 17 June 1981 while living in Yuma, Arizona.
Roosevelt Wright
This is classic L'amour. Well written, adventurous and informative. A good read.
Matthew Kern
fun quick read western style.
Charles
Feb 16, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Wayne
Wayne marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jorran
Jorran added it
Jul 21, 2014
Colton Fincannon
Colton Fincannon marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
  • Desert Gold
  • The Shootist
  • The Searchers
  • Hombre
  • Washington! (Wagons West, #9)
  • Shane
  • The R Document
  • The Case of the Rolling Bones (A Perry Mason Mystery)
  • Josey Wales: Two Westerns
  • The Last Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #1)
  • We Shall Not Sleep (World War I, #5)
  • Leopard in the Snow
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed The Walking Drum Hondo Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods