Start by marking “Breakthrough: Eight Steps to Wellness” as Want to Read:
Breakthrough: Eight Steps to Wellness

Breakthrough: Eight Steps to Wellness

Life-Altering Secrets from Today’s Cutting-Edge Doctors and the #1 New York Times Bestselling Author of Ageless

Today’s most trusted advocate of antiaging medicine, Suzanne Somers, deepens her commitment to helping people lead healthier, happier lives by opening their eyes to cutting-edge, proven remedies and preventative care that most doctors just aren’t talking about wit
Published September 9th 2008 by Harmony (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Breakthrough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakthrough

Lindsay
May 09, 2011 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book took me like a month to read. Of course stopping to read other books probably didn't help, lol. This book kind of reminded me of her other book that I read called Knockout. It has SO much information and your mind gets a little boggled. Its like a text book, you can only read a few chapters at a time, then take a break so you can soak in what you just learned.
This book says that it's about the 8 steps to wellness, but really it kind of just seemed like another chance for her to get peo
Tammy
Nov 29, 2012 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in my late thirties, I started noticing all of these changes happening with my body. After reading this book, I can honestly say that more people need to take this woman seriously. She really knows her stuff. She has done her research, and she has even used her body as its own "guinea pig" to try prove to everybody that bioidentical hormones really works. My fear is that she still hasn't shaken that "blonde bimbo" persona from her Three's Company days, and that a lot of people are goi ...more
Desiree
May 14, 2012 Desiree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of this book was book was a little too overly personal for my taste, it was still a great read. I've heard about bioidentical hormones for a long time. But, I didn't fully understand them. This book really educated me on the whole issue, even though I don't need them yet. It helped me understand the reasons why so many women suffer sad symptoms of menopause and old-age. This is a must read for women in my opinion. There was a lot too this book. It had 8 steps to optimal health. Gre ...more
Jenni
Mar 16, 2011 Jenni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenni by: Allie
Suzanne is bright and knows her stuff. Her animosity towards westernized medicine is a little too zealous for me. Although, I do agree with much of what she says, and completely agree with her endorsement of bio-identical hormones. I really liked her interviews with many of the experts in the field of preventative medicine. That was my favorite part. I could do without Suzanne's biting commentary.

One final thought: Suzanne's daily routine is extensive. She may feel and look GREAT, but she is sp
Cheri
Feb 15, 2009 Cheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dear friend Denise gave this book to me.
My only regret about this book is that I did not read it immediately after it was given to me! This book is a must read for every American, especially for American women. I learned so much from this book and I now have nothing but great respect for Suzanne Somers. Information is Power. This book is a collection of interviews with some of the best, think outside of the box-doctors practicing today & their personal advice. If you are tired of the con
Darlene
Apr 26, 2010 Darlene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting account of the steps you can take to prolong your life. Mostly well researched comments on nutrition, but it reads like a new age bullshit book. I expect that's a product of the author being savvy enough to know where her likely audience lies. The doctors the author quotes seem pretty reputable, though it's clear she didn't always understand what they were telling her. Nonetheless, I think this is a valuable health book with many good insights. Especially if you are a skeptic and ...more
Ashlie
Oct 03, 2008 Ashlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying this book and plan to keep it in my library for the latest research/interviews from the top breakthrough anti-aging doctors. Learn how with the latest research to sleep all night without drugs, preserve eyesight, and about bioidentical hormones, and much more. One of the many studies I found interesting is on page 207. "Studies show this: Mammograms increase the incidence of breast cancer from 1 percent to 3 percent, and one radiation oncologist said it's actually higher tha ...more
Brenda Humphreys
The entire book is about taking bioidentical hormones, which are expensive. It is a promotion for these antiaging doctors that she recommends and for the company where she purchases other wellness products from. I read the whole book to try to get some health tips; I didn't find many. Again, like in her other books, she emphasizes the importance of water. I have started incorporating that habit into my daily routine. I have seen amazing results. I drink 16 oz of lemon water as soon as I wake up ...more
Chris Webber
Aug 26, 2012 Chris Webber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tread carefully into this book. It was recommended by my sister who is a cancer survivor. She prefaced her recommendation by telling me the book is not so much Suzanne Somers but her interviewing medical doctors.

A lot of the medicine in the book is sound. We know that hormones,the endocrine system and our diet are important. Furthermore, the book is packed with good advice about eating clean, avoiding pharmaceutical involvement whenever possible and getting good exercise.

Based on this book, I
Diana Higgins
Dec 21, 2008 Diana Higgins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall an intriguing read. I try to keep up with research about supplements and diet but I had not yet gone to the effort to get curcumin/turmeric and resveratrol until repeatedly reading of their virtues in this book.

I've never read any of her other books; I think what made this book palatable to me was the interviews with the cutting-edge doctors. If it had just been the views of an actress, I don't think I'd have gotten far.

I have no opinion about the bioidentical hormone thing. It seems so
Jenifer
Jan 05, 2009 Jenifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must admit that I'm not a big Suzanne Somers fan, but this book was given to me so I figured I'd see what she had to say. I really took a lot of useful information away from this book. I totally agree that we, as Americans, are far too reliant on pharmaceuticals. The interviews with "breakthrough" doctors were very eye-opening and informative. I'm not a "health nut" by any means, but I do believe in trying natural means to keep yourself healthy. I took notes while reading, and plan on adopting ...more
Krystal
Mar 22, 2009 Krystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw this book in the library, I rolled my eyes. But then I saw Suzanne on Oprah and the stuff she was saying made sense to me, so when I saw it again I decided to give it a go. I was impressed mostly with the fact that the book is comprised of discussions with actual doctors moreso than her personal opinions. The content's pretty controversial but it definitely gave easy to understand explanations about the body, food, the brain, and cancer, specifically. And it also convinced me wh ...more
Penny
Jul 12, 2012 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This was an informative book. If you like to hear information from many doctors to make things more believable when it comes to fighting cancer, this is the book for you. It's not an easy read but you will learn a lot. I didn't care to read about what Suzanne does on a daily/weekly/monthly basis because it's not practical for most of us. My all-time favorite book on cancer that encompasses everything I've read in one book is called, "Cancer is Not a Disease, It's a Survival Mechanism." That book ...more
Debi Seymour
Jul 25, 2010 Debi Seymour rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give more then 5 stars to this book. It should be a must read by both men and women. She interviews some of the top anti-aging doctors, including the best one in the country that has his practice in our own backyard. Some of these doctors are md's who have crossed over to alternative medicine. This book is full of amazing information. I can't say enough good things about it. RUN out and grab yourself a copy. It's a big book, but I'll bet you read it as fast as I did, I couldn't pu ...more
Jonette
Sep 01, 2010 Jonette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I picked this book up from the library I was intriqued but wasn't expecting much....I mean Suzanne Somers? The same person who brought us the thigh master? Well, was I wrong! Suzanne brings cutting edge info from very progressive doctors. She also provides wonderful resources at the end of the book. I highly recommend both men and women read this book, make appropriate dietary/life style changes and then find a doctor who embraces this type of approach.
Gwendolyn
Oct 11, 2008 Gwendolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I haven't read every single page but the information that I have read and studied so far is incredible. If you are looking for answers that don't come out of a prescription, this is a good place to start to find understanding. The book is not Suzanne Somers selling stuff but is discussions with Doctors who are finding new and better ways to fight the onslaught of life and it's effects on our bodies. If you are struggling with hormone issues, it's a good place to find information
Sue
Mar 16, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Self-help book - Always searching for another way to tackle chronic illness without pain pills. This book has info and then some! Interviews doctors on the cutting edge of a new concept in medicine - 'wellness'.
Through Nutritian, Natural Supplements (after testing to see what your body is lacking). Worth the time to read! More than once!
Remember the movie line " I want some of what she's having! " Well, that's how I feel about Ms.Somers!
Sue Constantine
Jun 01, 2012 Sue Constantine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have to admit that the larger than life photo of Suzanne on the cover made it hard for me to pick it up but it turns out the cover does not match the content at all. My functional medicine doctor agrees with a lot of this and it was great to have access to in-depth interviews with leaders in this field. It is a fantastic resource for knowing which tests to ask for and how to get help for chronic conditions that haven't responded to the traditional western medicine approach.
Lrashid
Oct 09, 2008 Lrashid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lrashid by: Deborah O'Hara
This was an excellent source of information in terms of being proactive about our health. I learned that I should be investing money now in supplements and healthy food. If I can spend the money on Starbucks I can certainly splurge on healthy food! About three quarters in I started skipping the chapters written by Somers and only reading the interviews with the physicians. It was much more rewarding that way!
Tamra
Apr 13, 2010 Tamra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow--she really is investing her time and money into health preservation! Interesting topic and information, whether or not you can adopt her practices. I learned that: macular degeneration starts in the stomach; testosterone level in men today is dramatically lower on average than in 1980s (possibly due to stress, obesity, toxins and insecticides); MSG is a nerve toxin; and Aspartame "produces the very same brain damage that MSG does".
Barbara
Dec 03, 2008 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kim
Recommended to Barbara by: I like her writing
It was a wonderful informative book telling the American people about what the Food Manufacturers are putting into our food. Bad things that can hurt us. We need to educate our children also. Let them know that what we eat can damage our cells of our body.
I recommend this book to everyone. It make you aware of what's happening all around us. I'm glad someone has the courage to be honest.
Marla Milligan
Mar 23, 2011 Marla Milligan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and honestly thing everyone should read it. My friend was cleaning out her stuff and gave me some books and this was one of them. I would of never chose this to read but am so glad I did. It is alternatives to prescription drugs and I learned so much!! A must read for everyone I love.
Feb 04, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the interviews with the doctors. This is a book I would buy if my chiropractor believed in bio-identical hormones. We haven't connected yet on this topic. I need to learn more about this topic. I did enjoy the book and her writing. She also has good podcasts on itunes from interviews about this book that are informative for someone who is a listener and likes the info free.
Belann
Jun 11, 2013 Belann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In interview style with several prominent anti-aging doctors, Suzanne Somers brings to light some of the latest in anti-aging medicine. I have to say, if I had the money, I might be pursuing bioidential hormones and banking my stem cells. The future of medicine might keep us eternally young, or at least the rich.
Rhonda
Nov 19, 2008 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
This book contains a wealth of health information. I usually take what I read with a grain of salt, but I am quite interested in health information, and I am familiar with a lot of the topics in here. Very good advice, very worth reading, take all the advice you can. I'm not that into the daily bio-identicals the author takes, but the rest of it is good preventative medicine.
Greg Cox
Jul 08, 2010 Greg Cox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book what my beginning to a healthier me. I now eat mostly organic and am very into health, nutrition and wellness.. It can kind of be a depressing thought after you realize how unhealthy Americans are. This book was definitely a great eye-opener and I'm glad to have picked it up while I was on vacation in Boise, Idaho! GREAT READ!
Denise
Oct 06, 2010 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book for you, your husband/significant other/mother, sister, daughter, father, and son and anyone whose well-being is important to you. Recommended by my new doctor, I thought, really, what could Krissy have to say about Wellness? You'd be surprised...
Amy
Oct 28, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Has some interesting alternative therapies I had not yet heard. It is in an interview format with Suzanne Somers and doctors. I wish I could get my husband to read something about nutrition and excitotoxins so he would quit buying cheetoes and capri sun for our children.
Janet Gray
Mar 30, 2009 Janet Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that you keep around as a reference book. It is so informative and a book that everyone should read. There are many interviews with progressive doctors who believe in practicing "Breakthrough" medicine.
Russell
Nov 03, 2009 Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed the interviews and medical information supplied by the doctors. Admittedly Suzanne Somers is not a doctor, but she lets the doctors tell their story. In that process the doctors tell us about many other interesting factors (D-Mannos for example)
  • Feeling Fat, Fuzzy or Frazzled? : A 3-Step Program to: Beat Hormone Havoc, Restore Thyroid, Adrenal, and Reproductive Balance, and Feel Better Fast!
  • Essential Ayurveda: What It Is and What It Can Do for You
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • The Hormone Diet: Lose Fat. Gain Strength. Live Younger Longer.
  • Eat, Taste, Heal: An Ayurvedic Cookbook for Modern Living
  • You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty
  • The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change
  • 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart: Boost Metabolism, Lower Cholesterol, and Dramatically Improve Your Health
  • A Reasonable Life: Toward a Simpler, Secure, More Humane Existence
  • Eating Well for Optimum Health
  • Cancer: Step Outside the Box
  • Basic Teachings of the Buddha
  • Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way: Creating Happiness with Meditation, Yoga, and Ayurveda
  • Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause
  • The Gluten-Free Bible: The Thoroughly Indispensable Guide to Negotiating Life without Wheat
  • Guardian (Warriors for the Light #6)
  • The Complete Herb Book
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause: The Breakthrough Book on Natural Hormone Balance

Suzanne Somers is an American actress, author, and businesswoman. Best known for her role as the ditzy blonde Chrissy Snow on the ABC sitcom Three's Company, she also had a noted starring role on the sitcom Step by Step as Carol Foster Lambert. She later capitalized on her acting career by also establishing he
More about Suzanne Somers...