Start by marking “A Short History of England, Ireland and Scotland” as Want to Read:
A Short History of England, Ireland and Scotland

A Short History of England, Ireland and Scotland

His passionate love for his wife, Sarah Churchill, ran like a golden thread of romance through Marlborough's stormy career. On the eve of battle, and in the first flush of victory, he must first and last write her; and he would more willingly meet 20,000 Frenchmen than his wife's displeasure! Indeed Sarah seems to have waged her own battles very successfully with her tongu ...more
Published January 1st 2013 by Cosimo Classics (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about A Short History of England, Ireland and Scotland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Short History of England, Ireland and Scotland

Andrew Gass
Mar 01, 2017 Andrew Gass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Effective Summary and Reference Work

While brief and dated at this point, Parmele's little work does a good job of presenting a thorough and balanced portrayal of the history of the British Isles. A good work to keep on hand as a reference for any student of history.
steven e smith
Jan 07, 2016 steven e smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I only knew more

I chose this book to get a stronger understanding of the apparent turmoil between Ireland and England
I'm more confused than ever.
I felt like it presupposed that I had some more of a back ground in this than I do.
That's not the fault of this book or the author, this is my own short coming.
After all it wouldn't be called 'a short history if she filled in all the blanks.
But it pointed out my confusion over all the jumping about of the royalty is not my imagination..
What a tough p
Babak
OK and short intro to the history of the region for beginners. It was interesting to see how the author consider colonizing India more as a favor England did to the Indians. Most focus is on the kings and little on the people.
Neil Tillquist
Jan 03, 2013 Neil Tillquist rated it liked it
Good overview of the history of the UK, from Brits, Angles, and Saxons to 1900. Helped put into context the kings, major battles, religious and political currents, including English domination of the Irish.
Lynn
Oct 20, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a new book, but rather a reprint of an older text. I liked the author's style even if I didn't agree with all the opinions she expressed. It was interesting and primarily an account of each nations various monarchs and their reigns in brief. It was still interesting and informative.
Scott
May 03, 2012 Scott rated it liked it
Text book read. Always wanted to understand the history of Ireland, Scotland and England a little better.
Angela Joyce
Dec 05, 2014 Angela Joyce rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I tried to take into account the year this was written, but it was written with such breathless, emotional arrogance-- exclamation points galore!-- I really couldn't stomach it.
Randy Smith
Randy Smith rated it it was ok
Feb 06, 2016
Glenda and James Malloy
Glenda and James Malloy rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
William Patterson
William Patterson rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2014
peter john wright
peter john wright rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2016
Regina
Regina rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2014
Melissa Williams
Melissa Williams rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Adam Gothelf
Adam Gothelf rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
May 08, 2015
David M. Olsen
David M. Olsen rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
Henriette
Henriette rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Willie C. Nolan
Willie C. Nolan rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Ashe
Ashe rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2014
Christine Blanksvard
Christine Blanksvard rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
May 11, 2017
Larry Landgren
Larry Landgren rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2017
Donavan
Donavan rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2016
Arsalan Zaman
Arsalan Zaman rated it liked it
May 29, 2017
Dallas
Dallas rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
Tsb
Tsb rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Evandro Faria
Evandro Faria rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Chris Mahood
Chris Mahood rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2014
Debby Miller
Debby Miller rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
  • The history of Herodotus — Volume 2
  • The New Jerusalem
  • Edinburgh: Picturesque Notes
  • Short Story: From First Draft to Final Product
  • The Works of Aristotle the Famous Philosopher Containing his Complete Masterpiece and Family Physician; his Experienced Midwife, his Book of Problems and his Remarks on Physiognomy
  • Logic Deductive and Inductive
  • History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science
  • Hero Tales from American History
Mary Platt Parmele (July 14, 1843 - May 26, 1911) was an American author and historian.

Mary Platt was born in Albany, New York and educated in New York. Her first marriage was to J. J. Agnew and her second marriage to Theodore W. Parmele. From 1892 she began contributing philosophical articles and short stories to reviews and magazines, and published Kingdom of the Invisible and Christian Science.
More about Mary Platt Parmele...