Start by marking “The New Year's Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #11)” as Want to Read:
The New Year's Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #11)

The New Year's Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts #11)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  2,401 ratings  ·  183 reviews
As each holiday season approaches, some revel in welcoming the New Year ahead; others quietly mourn the passing of time gone by. "We can't hold on to the past," says Master Quilter Sylvia Compson, "but we cankeep the best part of 'Auld Lang Syne' in our hearts and in our memories, and we can look forward to the future with hope and resolve."

As Sylvia, a late-in-life newlyw
Published November 13th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The New Year's Quilt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Year's Quilt

Kathie H
Jun 23, 2010 Kathie H rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
I love this series! I'm a quilter & quilt restorer so I really relate to the moments when Ms. Chiaverini's characters are searching through their stashes or lingering over the fine stitches in an heirloom quilt. The narrator of this CD, Christina Moore, makes the experience of reading Ms. Chiaverini's books all the more sublime.
Dlora
I have enjoyed all of Jennifer Chiaverini's Elm Creek Quilts novels, though some more than others. I find the history and skills of quiltmaking described in her series quite interesting. She also adds a lot of historical details; her books that are set in the past have been my most favorite (The Runaway Quilt and The Sugar Camp Quilt).

This book relates many traditions surrounding New Years as celebrated by the ancestors and friends of Sylvia Bergstrom Compson, the main character of this book--
Maureen
I love the quilting books of Elm Manor Quilts. Sylvia has found a second love her new husband Andrew. Her first husband, James had died in the war and she lost her first and only child in child birth. It was almost too much for her to handle. She spent time with her inlaws and finally came to the conclusion to go back to school and become an art teacher. She had a falling out with her sister and brother in law and stayed away for years from her home at Elm Creek Manor. After her sister died and ...more
Charity
This is latest Elm Creek Quilter's book. I enjoyed reminiscing with Silvia as she prepares a New Year's Quilt for her new daughter-in-law. The stories of her life are a lesson to all of us of the importance of forgiveness and kindness. I enjoyed thinking about New Year's Resolutions as I read. Silvia points out in the book that she likes resolutions because it means that the person making them still has hope for the future. I liked that perspective and it helped me to reflect on hope as a action ...more
Padmini Prasad
Even though not a quilter, I love the Elm Creek Quilt Series - especially the volumes that meld stories of the older generation of quilters with the modern time quilters. This book is one of them. I loved it - the 4 start rating is because I found some parts very repetitive.
Melissa
Sometimes I'm just not sure what to think of these books. I get done reading a fantastic one and eagerly start on the next when I'm vastly disappointed. At least in this book the return of one of the main characters happens, but it is just her and the book really ends up being a rehash of previous books. I won't take the time to go through what's happened in the first ten books because it'd take forever, but that's ok because this could be read as a stand alone.

Sylvia Compton has recently marrie
Monica
So, this was another choice for our Reader's Advisory group at work. Chiaverini was one of the canon authors for 'Gentle Reads', and since I've (FULL DISCLOSURE) recently taken up quilting, I thought this was the cozy little book for me.

This is the 11th book the the Elm Creek Quilts series, and its the first one I've read. The first book in the series was unavailable at the library, so I decided to jump in and read this one.

The characterization and style was pretty light and breezy, and the plot
Carol
I enjoyed Silvia as she prepares a New Year's Quilt for her new daughter-in-law. The stories of her life are a lesson to all of us of the importance of forgiveness and kindness. I enjoyed thinking about New Year's Resolutions as I read, though I don't often keep them, so I don't make them. Silvia points out in the book that she likes resolutions because it means that the person making them still has hope for the future. I liked that perspective and it helped me to reflect on hope. There are some ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
This book picks up where The Quilter's Legacy left off. Sylvia and Andrew married on Christmas Eve, and then set off to visit his daughter who is opposed to their marriage. Along the way, Sylvia works on her New Years Quilt and remembers past New Years Eves.

While much of Sylvia's experiences have been told in other books, this one does add some additional dimensions to those stories. For one, you learn about Sylvia's regrets in leaving Elm Creek Manor the first time, and her regret at never rec
Elaine
Jun 25, 2010 Elaine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most anyone who wants a quick nice read
Recommended to Elaine by: Donna E recommended the author
I thought this was an OK book -- not great literature, but an easy, quick read with a decent story line. It was a little difficult remembering who was who, but perhaps if I'd read the previous ones in the series, that would have made it easier to keep track. A lot of the book is flashbacks -- which helps to fill in the back story and adds some depth and interest. Story is a bit predictable; I have a small problem with believability with some of the conversations involving the main character when ...more
Nathalie S
Sylvia and Andrew have finally married on Christmas Eve at the manor surrounded by their many friends. Unfortunately, Andrew's children were missing as they had declined spending Christmas with them. Sylvia and Andrew had decided to keep their wedding a surprise. After Christmas and on their honeymoon, they decide to head out to Amy's home, figuring that if they could win Amy over, the others would follow for Amy was the biggest hurdle. All is well in the end but not without much worry and drama ...more
Amber
I don't know why I love these books but I really do. This book is a part of a whole series of "quilt" books. The writer is an avid quilter (from Madison) who now writes books about a group of quilting ladies. (The first in the series is called The Quilter's Apprentice.) I don't feel like the writing is wonderful but I feel like the stories are easy to read, entertaining and inspiring. I liked this one because of the talk about traditions-it reminded me that I want to make strong traditions a par ...more
Julie Barrett
The New Year's Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #11) by Jennifer Chiaverini
In this book, good as a a stand alone the story follows Sylvia and her life as a child and then onward through the years.
The ones that touched me the most where the depression years when they had lost their mother but the farm was doing ok because of the thoroughbred horses they raised.
Others came by to work with hopes of getting fed and a place to sleep. Love that she took it upon herself after her father dropped the boys off a
Denise
I love this series of books. Besides the quilting info the story of the Bergstrom family over the years since they came to America is fascinating. The author has woven a believable family history! I love this story for it's emphasis on forgiving and letting go in order to move on and find happiness in life even through immense trial and sorrow.
Jean
Although I gave it two stars, it was well written. I have read nine previous books in the quilt series by Jennifer and frankly this one was a composition using many of the stories in the the first books only adding more detail. If you need to catch up before moving on to her future quilt books, this is a good one to read.
Mary
After Sylvia Compson marries Andrew on Christmas Eve, they travel to Andrew's daughter's home hoping for her approval of their marriage. Sylvia relives memories of past New Years along the way. The book was mainly a rehashing of incidents from other books in the series, but still fun to read.
Amanda
This is another enjoyable book in the Elm Creek Quilt series. This story is about putting aside conflict and putting family first. I enjoyed it; it was a quick read, a tear-jerker at parts, and yet it has a happy ending. It was also a quick and easy read.
Pat
Maybe I've been reading too many of Chiaverini's books in a row but this book is most definitely a re-hash a re-cap of the others. A very small, undeveloped conflict coupled with an ending that "tells" instead of "shows" made this a bore.
Betsy Diamant-cohen
This book was given to me by a good friend and I can see why! It is a lovely story about love, friendships, mistakes, forgiveness, and hope. What a great way to start out the New Year by reading this book!
Anne Marie
I enjoyed this book even though I do not quilt, and do not understand any of the quilting terms. But this was a heartwarming story about a quilter, Sylvia, her family memories, and her present problem of her new husband Andrew's children who are having a tough time accepting her into the family. I liked the flash backs of New Year's Eves from the past, telling us about Sylvia's family and Elm Creek Manor, their home. I didn't care much for Andrew's grown children, especially his daughter Amy, no ...more
Kim
I was enjoying this series, but I like it when the present day plays more of a part. Not only was this the second book in a row that spent more time back in time than in today, but it was quite repetitive. The general outline of this story had already been lain out in the other books, and here it was put together in final detail. At least, I hope it's final.

I was excited a couple of books ago to see how the new staff do at Elm Creek Quilts, but I've been lead astray these last two books. I cert
Pamela
Summary: The main character (Sylvia Compson) is a woman in her 60s who is recently married. Her daughter-in-law does not approve of the relationship and she and her husband are going to break the news to her over Christmas. While driving there, she is working on her "new year's quilt" and each square represents a story and time in her life where she has learned a hard life lesson. As she goes through each square she tells the story through flashbacks.

Appeal (pacing): The book unviels itself slow
Lorrie
Jodi
Kristi

On the recommendation of my mom I skipped ahead to this title. It was a good call on her part. I was worried some of the contemporary storyline would be given away, but this book really did just flow right on from The Quilter's Legacy. It was a shorter read then I've come to expect from this series, but since it was a continuation of book 5 it didn't suffer from the brevity.
Tracy Collier
Very sweet as always. This book focused more on the aftermath of Sylvia's marriage to Andrew as well as some recap and more details about the time when her mother died and later, her first husband. It, of course, focused on previous New Year's celebrations. Very nice and tied the other stories together. Looking forward to the next one!
Becky
Too much flashback and not enough of the current story... I felt as though we were rehashing what so many of the books before had already told us, just in greater detail... I did enjoy the story as a whole, just felt that I had read a lot of it before. Overall a fun short read.
Becky
Readstoomuch
I'm reading these some on order and a few put if order . . . by accident and because I'm a slow reader and forget which ones I've read before! I enjoying them so much and will hate to finish the series. Very light reading . . . Lovely story telling. I love the different places where Jennifer Chiaverini takes the reader. xoxoxo
Tiffeny
Didn't enjoy this story as much as I did The Christmas Quilt, but I did like it. And it filled in a lot of the holes of Sylvia's past that The Christmas Quilt didn't. If you've read The Christmas Quilt, this book is a must.
Quilting/American History 10 26 Mar 26, 2014 09:47AM
  • A Thread So Thin (Cobbled Quilt #3)
  • Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper, #6)
  • Wedding Ring (Shenandoah Album)
  • The Lover's Knot (Someday Quilts Mystery, #1)
  • Two Days After the Wedding (Ladies of Covington, #6)
  • The Healing Quilt
Jennifer Chiaverini is the New York Times bestselling author of several acclaimed historical novels and the beloved Elm Creek Quilts series, as well as six collections of quilt patterns inspired by her books. A graduate of the University of Notre Dame and the University of Chicago, she lives with her husband and two sons in Madison, Wisconsin. About her historical fiction, the Milwaukee Journal Se ...more
More about Jennifer Chiaverini...

Elm Creek Quilts (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Quilter's Apprentice (Elm Creek Quilts, #1)
  • Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)
  • The Cross-Country Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #3)
  • The Runaway Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #4)
  • The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5)
  • The Master Quilter (Elm Creek Quilts, #6)
  • The Sugar Camp Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #7)
  • The Christmas Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #8)
  • Circle of Quilters (Elm Creek Quilts, #9)
  • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)
Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker The Quilter's Apprentice (Elm Creek Quilts, #1) The Runaway Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #4) The Quilter's Legacy (Elm Creek Quilts, #5) Round Robin (Elm Creek Quilts, #2)