Start by marking “Bad Girls” as Want to Read:
Bad Girls

Bad Girls

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Thick with suspense and simmering with adolescent turmoil, Bad Girls is an action-adventure survival story that pits a group of troubled teens against a forbidding tropical landscape, an elusive enemy, and, worst of all, each other. It's Mean Girls meets Lord of the Flies, and it marks the debut of an innovative new voice in fiction.

Anna Wheeler's parents have had it up...more
Published June 14th 2005 by MTV Books

To ask other readers questions about Bad Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Girls

Mizuki
Bad Girls starts with a strong opening, and the story plays itself out nicely enough as we follow Anna to the training camp for troubled, teenage deviants.

But unluckily, things falls apart in the middle of the book when a hiking trip goes wrong, after the girls were lost in the forest, the book becomes very focused on action scenes and crisis, whilst character development got thrown out of the window.

Anna, the main character is probably the only character who has any character development, you...more
Beth
Anna is a good girl gone bad, and when her father, author of a popular Christian series, has had enough of her shenanigans (sneaking out, talking back, and oh yeah, getting knocked up) he sends her away to Camp Archstone: a reform school for wayward girls on a remote island in the Bahamas. Apart from time spent with nature, the only "camp" of Archstone is its boot camp style. Run by ex-military, the girls are up at 0500, put on strict schedule heavy with exercise and reflecting on what brought t...more
Emily
You know what they say about "ones trash is another's treasure". This beauty was hidden in a local bookstore just waiting for my hands.
I loved this book- everything about it was just the cherry on top, let me tell you. The situation, one original but definitely used (Lord of the Flies, anyone?), was an on edge thriller that I found entoxicating.
Anna. God, this girl. I think the one reason why I liked her so much is because of her innocence throughout the book. Her she is, surrounded by half-craz...more
Shelby
In the book Bad Girls a girl named Anna gets sent to a boot camp called Camp Archstone. She got sent there because her father didn’t agree with anything she did. Her teacher got her pregnant so she had to get an abortion, and she did drugs. Her father is very religious and he is very against all of that. This book is kind of slow in the first chapter or so, but around the second chapter it speeds up and becomes more interesting. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. It is very good if yo...more
Chelsea West
I loved this book. I would have gone crazy if I got sent there though. I’ve never read a gook that was in like a third persons view, I liked it. It was different. I truly enjoyed this book. I would recommend that every girl reads this. You could learn alot. I know I did. Like survival skills, and what not to do. Some of the things these girls did are ridiculously crazy. It had great anticipating periods. Some parts I just wanted to skip to get to the juicy ones. Its that kind of book that you wa...more
Hailey marie :)
This Book Blew my Mind...when i first picked it up i was not expecting such a good piece of writing. But page by page i found myself more and more into it, and not being able to put it down. every sec i got to pick it up, it'd be in my hands. The suspense, and thrill of not knowing whats going to happen is AMAZING. A great survivor/suspense novel. I have to say i must give MTV BOOKS my props..well done.
Erica P
I would have to say this is one of my favorite books. Its diffrent from the everyday drama books that you see everywhere and has a sense of adventure in it along with survival. Every thing in the book is described really well and gives you a good mental image so you can picture exactly whats going on. Also the book has great suspence.
Franny
I had high expectations for this one, but it was really cheesy. Don't bother.
Miranda (Tempest Books)
Bad Girls was better than I thought it was going to be, but unfortunately still wasn't great. I randomly picked it up off my shelf when I realized that I'd finished all of the other books I'd planned to read that month, and because it's one of the (unread) books I've had the longest. Right from the start, it really reminded me of Phoenix Island , which I read last month, because of the uninhabited island reform camp setting and thriller vibe, although Bad Girls didn't have any fantasy/paranormal...more
Elaine
Several recalcitrant girls are sent to a mostly uninhabited island in the Bahamas to a boot camp-like environment where the guards think nothing of sending a charge to solitary. There seems to be no way off the island and that is if you can escape the guards, forest, mangrove swamps, and chain link fences. No talking during meals, quiet time, class and most other times.

They're about to embark on their first long hike to Clayton Peak, ten miles southwest outside the camp. Counselor Adler and Mis...more
Alina
Bad Girls is essentially a spin off of William Golding’s Lord of the Flies. Anna, the protagonist, has been rebelling against her parents by shoplifting and a series of other not well-thought out things, just to get their attention. Since she has experienced more up’s than down’s in her life, it causes her to act out when what she really needs is to find a way to cope with her feelings. Her parents finally have enough when she crashes her stepmother’s car and maxes out her Dad’s credit card and...more
Liz
With some authors, after you read one novel of theirs that you enjoyed, you feel like you MUST read more. Possibly read every novel ever written by that particular author.

Because of my opinion of Alex McAulay's novel Shelter Me, I decided to read this novel next. Immediately, the setup of the novel reminded me of Shelter Me, and I was hooked.

That's where the similarities ended. With this, I attempted, for every page I read, to guess what would happen next. Would they get sold into slavery? Would...more
Jirah Stewart
This book was a surprise for me. I don't usually read action novels, but I felt like I needed to get out of my comfort zone of the typical teenage romances and drama. If you're the 'Sisterhood of the traveling pants' type of person, I would put this book down, and run far far away from it.
The action content in this book is jam-packed. This book is a total page turner. You connect with the characters and feel like you're in one of those scary thriller movies. Constantly feeling the need to yell...more
Emily
I have to say, I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. Because it was MTV books, I instantly had low standards set because, well, it's MTV. I really, honest to god, couldn't put this book down. I loved pretty much everything about this book. They only thing that really put me off was the constant use of curse words. It's understandable because of the audience its geared towards and the fact its told through the eyes of a teenage girl. But I just generally don't like swearing.
Other...more
Ezra
I finished this book not so long ago and I enjoyed it alot. It had great inticing periods, and a great plot. I think that this book is a great book for people who want to read books about two worlds put together. A world like the one we live in today, and a world of killers, and carless people. I think that this book was great because the author didn't just write about a lost group of girls but added in alot of things that 14 year olds can sometimes compare to. This book is like nothing that I h...more
Kayla
I read Bad Girls in about two days after getting hooked to find out what happened next. While the third person point of view is limiting to getting to know the characters and the author relies on stereotypes for the personalities of the girls, the story is what makes this book a great read. You'll find yourself drawn in wanting to know what happens next. While the ending could use a bit of an improvement, I still enjoyed reading.
Emily Crow
This is kind of a trashy read...delinquent girls sent to a wilderness camp on a deserted island, and all of a sudden weird/scary stuff starts to happen? I read this book while my husband was working at the (now defunct) Borders bookstore, waiting for his shift to end while drinking endless cups of tea. I did enjoy it, and will keep an eye out for other stories by this author. The ending seemed unrealistically sappy, though.
Juanita
I absolutely loved this book. It was about a girl that was real trouble at home so her parents send her away to a type of boot camp in Miami. They were very strict there until they went on a trip with the camp in a forest and all the advisers got killed. So all the girls that are troubled including this girl Anna had to find there way out of the forest alive and not get into any trouble.
Blanket
Pros:
*Interesting premise
*Quick read

Cons:
*Cheesy writing
*Shallow, stereotypical characters
*Author did not do a good job at portraying "girl world" in an interesting or realistic way

Most hilarious line (vaguely spoilery):
"A scene right out of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre awaited them, a brutal masterpiece of violence painted on the walls of the cave."

Rose Dawson
The book was originally borrowed from my sister, but I'm already impressed annotation.So I borrowed it from her but I definitely don't regret.The book was just a bombastic!This experience, it leaves something in you.I held Anna inches.And I'm not spoilered.Definitely recommend. ;)
Kelly
Original rating: 4 stars.
Reread rating: 3 stars.

Beginning has a pretty good hook but then it slows down for a while. The twists really held me my first read but it doesn't hold up as much to rereading, especially years later. Didn't finish it this time, but good story.
Lauren
Mar 31, 2008 Lauren rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
this book was really good. i have to say its one of my favorite books so far that ive read. its really scary at some points and reminds me of lord of the flies. its something you really rarely get to read about which makes it even better.
Andrea
this book was juicy and suspenseful. however, i was disturbed by the fact that a grown man would write something so sadistic about a group of teenage girls. i don't know ... certain aspects of it were just icky.
Adelina
Uma história muito bem contada. Capta a atenção do leitor do princípio ao fim. Li a versão espanhola http://www.amazon.com/Chicas-Malas-Sp.... Empresto ou troco a quem quiser.
Jenn
A pretty good Survivor story for teens. Almost like a "don't be bad growing up or you'll be sent to a military-type camp on a semi-deserted island and end up like one of these girls" type of book.

Liz
It was an alright book. I loved how Kara just vanished just as she had wanted. The only part of the book I did not like was the amount of bad language used. It could have been toned down a bit.
Dawn
This book keep me on the edge of my seat. It was crazy. Most books like this don't have the suspense that I like, but this one does. It's a can't-put-down kind of book.
Becca Wilson
May 13, 2012 Becca Wilson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who are looking for a fast read
I loved this book! It was suspenseful and had a good ending, took me only a few hours to read it was very well written and easy to follow...a very good beach read!
Christine
I liked it. I thought it was very interesting and that the main character wasn't that bad at all, just had a few misunderstandings with her parents perhaps.
Scarlett N.
I thought this book was awesome. It took lord of the flies and made it ten times better. If I could rate this book on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it an 11.
  • Las chicas de alambre
  • The Pursuit of Happiness
  • Kill Me, Kiss Me Volume 3 (Kill Me, Kiss Me, #3)
  • Nebezpečná láska (Bavettovi, #1)
  • Romeo and Juliet (Manga Shakespeare)
  • Graffiti Girl
  • Dášeňka, čili život štěněte
  • Princess of Egypt: An Egyptian Girl's Diary, 1490 BC
  • Pocahontas (Classic)
  • The Second Virginity of Suzy Green
  • Twelve Long Months
  • Rich Boys (Island Summer, #2)
  • Meet Me at the Boardwalk
  • Adios to My Old Life
  • The Last of Us: American Dreams #1
  • Histoires inédites du Petit Nicolas (Histoires inédites Du Petit Nicolas, #2)
  • I Was a Teenage Popsicle
  • How It's Done
Alex McAulay was born in Seattle, but grew up in Dallas, Texas and Dayton, Ohio. He is the author of four novels, including Shelter Me and Bad Girls, which is in development as a feature film. Alex is a graduate of Brown University, and currently lives in Santa Monica with his wife Lisa.

More about Alex McAulay...
Oblivion Road Lost Summer Shelter Me