Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done

Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  9,521 ratings  ·  195 reviews
The book that shows how to get the job done and deliver results . . . whether you’re running an entire company or in your first management job

Larry Bossidy is one of the world’s most acclaimed CEOs, a man with few peers who has a track record for delivering results. Ram Charan is a legendary advisor to senior executives and boards of directors, a man with unparalleled insi...more
Published November 10th 2009 by Crown Business (first published 2002)

Al
Execution: The discipline of Getting Things Done: Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan

Central Truths:

1. Execution is a systematic process of rigorously discussing hows and whats, questioning, tenaciously following through, and ensuring accountability.
2. No company can deliver on its commitments or adapt well to change unless all leaders practice the discipline of execution at all levels.
3. You need robust dialogue to surface the realities of the business.
4. How people talk to each other absolutely deter...more
David Lau
A former manager of mine once told me to read this book. That was back in 2007. It took me until now to read it, but now I understand why he had such high praise for the book.

Execution in it's simplest sense is to: get things done. Period. But it's more complex than those 3 words might suggest. It's about getting the right people in place, building a strategy around the resources available, and finally implementing the strategy, linking the strategy with people.

As with many other books on manag...more
JP
What a completely over-rated book. I suspect this made the top 20 best-ever booklist that led me to it on the basis that the title sounds good, like something a knowledgeable business person should advocate. Bossidy has earned the right to write on this topic, but the story lacks any sense of instructive meat. It's really more suited to a motivational speech or a Tom Peters interview. Reading 250+ pages was painful. Some business books are thoughtful; others make me really dislike business cultu...more
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book. Ram Charan is a very good business strategist and knowledgeable in the area of getting things done. He is articulate and has a thick accent and is very hard to understand. Larry Bossidy is an ex-GE person and is all about process. Larry's stories were pretty good. I felt like I was reading another book about GE. I think it boils down to the fact that some people know how to get things done and others don't. Some people will have things happen because they have good...more
Dharwiyanti
A bit lengthy written with two main messages:

1. As a CEO or a leader at the top level management, it is wrong to only focus on the planning or big pictures. The 'modern'
style of managing is to also make sure how to get the things done. Do not blame the staffs if execution goes wrong.

2. To do point 1 above, make sure you hire good people that are entitled to get things done. To do so, you have to use all channels of reference checking, contact people that know your candidates closely.

Very inspir...more
Ryan
This book is valuable to individuals and is even more value to senior leadership in organizations. I enjoyed considering the key difference between what behaviors successful companies exude. Also, I strongly agree that a culture of execution normally separates industry leaders from other companies. Here is my personal review of this book.

“Execution is a systematic process of rigorously discussing hows and whats, questioning, tenaciously following through, and ensuring accountability. It include...more
TarasProkopyuk
"Исполнение. Система достижения целей" очень хорошая, основательная и тщательно проработанная книга в которой приведено множество принципов, моделей и способов управления персоналом с целью незамедлительной, а главное качественной реализации бизнес-панов а также целей предприятий.

Авторы не просто люди оторванные от действительности теоретики, а люди которые достигли высоких позиций в корпоративном секторе и весьма успешные личности. И возможно поэтому книга у них получилась очень насыщенная и це...more
Maureen Ennis
I was lucky enough to work at AlliedSignal and participate as Larry Bossidy ran the Execution machine he describes in this book. I have found it invaluable in transforming organizations of all sizes.
Robert Chapman
I gave this 3 stars not because it was a bad book, but rather because I think other books better convey a similar but more concise message. Those books would be The Oz Principle and The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals .

The idea that many people intellectualize, philosophize and cannot actually implement or execute is so very true, I have seen it over and over again in my career.

Leaders show up and get into the weeds, it builds dignity in subordinates. Forty perc...more
Megatherium
A rambling mess that seemed to have never crossed an editor's desk, this book read as though it was literally spoken into a tape recorder, transcribed and then published. As to its subject matter: I cannot think of one bromide the "authors" managed to leave out, particularly of the tautological sort. You hire good people by....hiring good people, you build good products by....building good products. Wow.

I finally tossed this sucker aside after about the 84,000th mention of Jack Welch, in such s...more
Tim Andersen
There were some good things to think about as far as open and honest feedback from reviews and assessment. There were also some good points on when to take coaching opportunities. Most of the book was about setting expectations and following through by holding people accountable. There is a lot of emphasis on scrutinizing the business plans of underlings and driving out the specific actions to see if they have actually thought about it or just made up numbers to meet their performance objectives...more
Max
This is one of the better leadership/management books that I have come across. Like most books of the genre, it stresses goals and visions as essential to moving forward, but this book takes it in a different direction: at some point, you need to stop dreaming and start doing something.

Execution stresses a more hands-on approach to leadership. It's not enough to simply sit back and be the idea guy hoping that someone else is taking care of the work. The book is generally written for the CEO leve...more
Thomas Andersen
I might have missed the point of this book, but what I came away with was:
- This is a book based in a different time and while execution is as fundamental to business success the "incarnation" in this book and its implementation is obsolete.
- It's hard to take it too seriously when statements that are key to the message of the book are based upon bad data.
- Most of what's usable in this book is just "re-branded" common sense. While they are good reminders they do not inspire nor impress.
- Stop t...more
Marie desJardins
This was the first book I picked up for my academic leadership reading project, at the recommendation of my university president and others I've talked to. It presents a structured approach to ensuring that "grand plans" actually are turned into reality.

I thought the "building block" framework (seven essential behaviors for leaders, creating a framework for cultural change, and selecting the right people) to be the most relevant part of the book for the context of academic leadership. The "Peop...more
Mary
Loved this book. Again, had to read it for a class but man do all business leaders need to read it. Turn your goals into results people! Stop sitting around and waiting for someone under you to do it for you!
Naomi
I loved this book. It was simply fantastic and laid out a number of important points in regards to follow through. I have recommended this book to a number of clients I have worked with.
Paul Bard
It's not worth reading, in my opinion, because it's full of jargon and puffery. Who knows if the wall of corporate verbiage has any meaning or not? Apparently many are convinced it does. I am not.

As to the puffery, the book makes out plain prudence to be some great new discovery. This is not even marketing, but simply spin, as far as I can see. Because the authors are corporate leaders, this book is treated better than it deserves. It deserves to be treated as an marketing addition to the author...more
Russ
Not an easy read, but great stuff. Must be read several times.
Anita Griffin
Great book and is also available as a talking book.
Nirav Goswami
this is a good book for all management people.
Peter L
If I recall correctly, this book became necessary reading while working as Director Marketing, Internet at Molson Coors Canada very early in my career there. Current CEO Dan O'Neill became a big believer in the advantages and performance benefits that could arise if we could just inch by inch become much better at EXECUTION of not only the smallest local tactical promotions but ALL efforts everyday. Great ideas and the perfect promotional campaign only fails or certainly falls way short if poorl...more
Donovan Richards
The Academy and the Company
Having experienced this phenomenon over the last year or so, I can safely attest to its accuracy. The shift between academic life and business life is stark, challenging, and effulgent.

The scholarly life requires deep rumination, careful consideration, and an ability to distill complexity into simplicity so that others might learn. In terms of delivery, the academic certainly has deadlines, but responsibility falls on one’s self. There are no clear and present responsi...more
Lowell
A very solid, important book in understanding the difference between "wanting" to do something and actually "doing" it. So many of us talk a good game about what we want to do, and then fail terribly at accomplishing our goal, while trying to rationalize our failure so that we feel good. And as somebody wisely said: "Rationalization is logic through self-deception." I've read this book twice, and it has provided great motivation to me over the past few years.

That said, it's not well written in a...more
Lauren
John had recommended this book to me, and I thought it made good sense to read given the number of projects to execute on my plate. After making it through the book, it was clear to me that for my purposes I could have read the first chapter and the letter at the end of the book very closely, and then just have skimmed the rest of the book.

My main takeaways are:
* Leaders actually get things done
* Do not hide from reality
* Link strategy with people and operations

I suspect this will be a book tha...more
Devin Partlow
The first time I've read something about what execution actually is. Usually its this magical action that only a few do, but they actually write about what it is specifically and how to do it. I dig, I dig.

The letter in the end was cool too.
Paul
Includes helpful elucidation of team building skills: follow-up, talent building, realistic planning, accountability, etc. But much of ot is written at a an executive level. Hard for me to relate to.
David
Full Discloser : I am a management consultant specializing in operations strategy.

This is insightful in that it focuses on the execution as the key to success (which I agree with). It also points out the critical need for CEO to follow through the execution phases (rather then stopping at the visioning and strategy formulation). It has good examples (although rather high level and abstract) and Larry B's commentary (i.e. what's going on in a CEO's head).

Up to Building Block section was a good...more
Derek
(OVERDRIVE)
Quite a heavy business book. This is legitimate. These guys have been in the trenches and have had to make the hard decisions. The audiobook has all of them take turns speaking about their experiences at GE, at Honeywell, consulting with billion dollar companies, etc and they get to the point. It was beyond my purpose for reading at times (specifically big business kinda stuff when I want small/startup type of info) but it's only a 4 star because I'm not a big-business owner, otherwis...more
Rowena Morais
Superb book. Perfect for those with a plan for getting to where they want to go. For a plan is only part of the game - execution takes you the rest of the way.
Zaher Alhaj
I think the book is overrated.

Although it includes some useful tips, however it lacks the deep thoughts that one can expect form such an over-hyped book.
Does execution trump empowerment? 2 16 Jun 15, 2014 10:36PM
  • Competing for the Future
  • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Only the Paranoid Survive
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
  • Leading Change
  • The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: A Leadership Fable
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • Primal Leadership: Realizing the Power of Emotional Intelligence
  • Winning
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • The SPEED of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
What the CEO Wants You to Know: Using Your Business Acumen to Understand How Your Company Really Works Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership Powered Company What the Customer Wants You to Know: How Everybody Needs to Think Differently About Sales Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning

“The foundation of changing behavior is linking rewards to performance and making the linkages transparent.” 1 likes
“plan scattered” 0 likes