Start by marking “Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done” as Want to Read:
Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done

Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  12,455 ratings  ·  223 reviews
The book that shows how to get the job done and deliver results . . . whether you’re running an entire company or in your first management job

Larry Bossidy is one of the world’s most acclaimed CEOs, a man with few peers who has a track record for delivering results. Ram Charan is a legendary advisor to senior executives and boards of directors, a man with unparalleled insi
Published November 10th 2009 by Crown Business (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Execution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Execution

Al
Execution: The discipline of Getting Things Done: Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan

Central Truths:

1. Execution is a systematic process of rigorously discussing hows and whats, questioning, tenaciously following through, and ensuring accountability.
2. No company can deliver on its commitments or adapt well to change unless all leaders practice the discipline of execution at all levels.
3. You need robust dialogue to surface the realities of the business.
4. How people talk to each other absolutely deter
David Lau
A former manager of mine once told me to read this book. That was back in 2007. It took me until now to read it, but now I understand why he had such high praise for the book.

Execution in it's simplest sense is to: get things done. Period. But it's more complex than those 3 words might suggest. It's about getting the right people in place, building a strategy around the resources available, and finally implementing the strategy, linking the strategy with people.

As with many other books on manag
JP
What a completely over-rated book. I suspect this made the top 20 best-ever booklist that led me to it on the basis that the title sounds good, like something a knowledgeable business person should advocate. Bossidy has earned the right to write on this topic, but the story lacks any sense of instructive meat. It's really more suited to a motivational speech or a Tom Peters interview. Reading 250+ pages was painful. Some business books are thoughtful; others make me really dislike business cultu ...more
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book. Ram Charan is a very good business strategist and knowledgeable in the area of getting things done. He is articulate and has a thick accent and is very hard to understand. Larry Bossidy is an ex-GE person and is all about process. Larry's stories were pretty good. I felt like I was reading another book about GE. I think it boils down to the fact that some people know how to get things done and others don't. Some people will have things happen because they have good ...more
Dharwiyanti
A bit lengthy written with two main messages:

1. As a CEO or a leader at the top level management, it is wrong to only focus on the planning or big pictures. The 'modern'
style of managing is to also make sure how to get the things done. Do not blame the staffs if execution goes wrong.

2. To do point 1 above, make sure you hire good people that are entitled to get things done. To do so, you have to use all channels of reference checking, contact people that know your candidates closely.

Very inspir
TarasProkopyuk
"Исполнение. Система достижения целей" очень хорошая, основательная и тщательно проработанная книга в которой приведено множество принципов, моделей и способов управления персоналом с целью незамедлительной, а главное качественной реализации бизнес-панов а также целей предприятий.

Авторы не просто люди оторванные от действительности теоретики, а люди которые достигли высоких позиций в корпоративном секторе и весьма успешные личности. И возможно поэтому книга у них получилась очень насыщенная и це
CV Rick
It's not you, it's me.

Well . . . that's what I think at least.

So many business books read like a rehash of a boring seminar and this is no exception. Every page could be a power point. Every line could be a bullet point. Everything is crafted for presentation with very little background, substance or reference. Anecdote is not evidence, yet anecdote is ever-present.

You know, it reminds me of sitting through talks and speeches in church when I was a kid. All Mormon talks are exactly like this
Ryan
This book is valuable to individuals and is even more value to senior leadership in organizations. I enjoyed considering the key difference between what behaviors successful companies exude. Also, I strongly agree that a culture of execution normally separates industry leaders from other companies. Here is my personal review of this book.

“Execution is a systematic process of rigorously discussing hows and whats, questioning, tenaciously following through, and ensuring accountability. It include
Robert Chapman
I gave this 3 stars not because it was a bad book, but rather because I think other books better convey a similar but more concise message. Those books would be The Oz Principle and The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals .

The idea that many people intellectualize, philosophize and cannot actually implement or execute is so very true, I have seen it over and over again in my career.

Leaders show up and get into the weeds, it builds dignity in subordinates. Forty perc
Megatherium
A rambling mess that seemed to have never crossed an editor's desk, this book read as though it was literally spoken into a tape recorder, transcribed and then published. As to its subject matter: I cannot think of one bromide the "authors" managed to leave out, particularly of the tautological sort. You hire good people by....hiring good people, you build good products by....building good products. Wow.

I finally tossed this sucker aside after about the 84,000th mention of Jack Welch, in such s
Tim Andersen
There were some good things to think about as far as open and honest feedback from reviews and assessment. There were also some good points on when to take coaching opportunities. Most of the book was about setting expectations and following through by holding people accountable. There is a lot of emphasis on scrutinizing the business plans of underlings and driving out the specific actions to see if they have actually thought about it or just made up numbers to meet their performance objectives ...more
Paul Bard
It's not worth reading, in my opinion, because it's full of jargon and puffery. Who knows if the wall of corporate verbiage has any meaning or not? Apparently many are convinced it does. I am not.

As to the puffery, the book makes out plain prudence to be some great new discovery. This is not even marketing, but simply spin, as far as I can see. Because the authors are corporate leaders, this book is treated better than it deserves. It deserves to be treated as an marketing addition to the author
Thomas Andersen
I might have missed the point of this book, but what I came away with was:
- This is a book based in a different time and while execution is as fundamental to business success the "incarnation" in this book and its implementation is obsolete.
- It's hard to take it too seriously when statements that are key to the message of the book are based upon bad data.
- Most of what's usable in this book is just "re-branded" common sense. While they are good reminders they do not inspire nor impress.
- Stop t
Maureen Ennis
I was lucky enough to work at AlliedSignal and participate as Larry Bossidy ran the Execution machine he describes in this book. I have found it invaluable in transforming organizations of all sizes.
Zaher Alhaj
I think the book is overrated.

Although it includes some useful tips, however it lacks the deep thoughts that one can expect form such an over-hyped book.
Brad
It's been awhile since I read this but I remember it being helpful at the stage of my career where I was shifting into more strictly management responsibilities.
Max
This is one of the better leadership/management books that I have come across. Like most books of the genre, it stresses goals and visions as essential to moving forward, but this book takes it in a different direction: at some point, you need to stop dreaming and start doing something.

Execution stresses a more hands-on approach to leadership. It's not enough to simply sit back and be the idea guy hoping that someone else is taking care of the work. The book is generally written for the CEO leve
Marie desJardins
This was the first book I picked up for my academic leadership reading project, at the recommendation of my university president and others I've talked to. It presents a structured approach to ensuring that "grand plans" actually are turned into reality.

I thought the "building block" framework (seven essential behaviors for leaders, creating a framework for cultural change, and selecting the right people) to be the most relevant part of the book for the context of academic leadership. The "Peop
Todd
Overall very good, I recommend it for anyone with interest in leadership and/or management (of course those two ideas are not the same, but the concept of execution as laid out here is important to both, albeit to the former more so). As one might expect, the more important and more general ideas are presented first, with increasing granularity toward the end of the book. Depending on one's own background and interest, some of the latter parts may be of more marginal interest; for example, those ...more
James Pritchert
Nov 25, 2014 James Pritchert rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business leaders
This is a vintage read from the early 2000s. It is directed towards CEOs and those who want to be CEOs. All that aside, I enjoyed it and I have retrieved some useful nuggets of information that I am able to apply in my current position which is far from the CEO suite. It is a good thing to view the world of work from the top level instead of the trenches. It tends to help put things into perspective for us working guys.
Ray Kelly
Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done is a guide to the principles of execution, and according to the authors, Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan, it is the leader's most important job. They remind leaders of the importance of being deeply and passionately engaged, and how we need to stay close to the details of our business without micro-managing. They offer us useful advice about how to improve the links between people (who?), strategy (why and what?) and operations (how?) and explain how ...more
Mark Hanson
A few interesting and helpful suggestions, but for the most part it was a lot of verbiage without much actionable content. Geared for much larger organizations with a larger hierarchical structure of authority where one can push off the actual process of doing to many direct reports.
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro La clave de los negocios está en la ejecución, de Ram Charan y Larry Bossidy.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: liderazgo, estrategia y modelos de negocio, características de un buen líder.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro La clave de los negocios está en la ejecución, Por qué la diferencia entre una empresa normal y otra extraordinaria está en la ejecución, en hacer la
Austin Walker
After reading this book in one sitting, I am not entirely certain what it brings to the table that an experienced leader would not already know.

The basic premise of the book is that success in business comes down to how people, plans, and operations work together and execution is based on those core processes. In other words, leaders need to know their people, what their people need to do, and how their people do it.

Though there were some helpful parts of the book, it varies from third person,
Mary
Loved this book. Again, had to read it for a class but man do all business leaders need to read it. Turn your goals into results people! Stop sitting around and waiting for someone under you to do it for you!
Naomi
I loved this book. It was simply fantastic and laid out a number of important points in regards to follow through. I have recommended this book to a number of clients I have worked with.
Marc Dorval
A proponent of "no excuses" management, this book is about making yourself, and your team, accountable. A laudable goal. The book has lots of ideas about how to make it happen and examples on how it's been done.

I had already put some of the techniques to work prior to reading the book, and more are now in place. However, I'm concerned that some of the authors' ideas don't fully translate to the small-business market. This isn't an excuse! Rather, there are limits to the resources available to th
Russ
Not an easy read, but great stuff. Must be read several times.
Anita Griffin
Great book and is also available as a talking book.
Nirav Goswami
this is a good book for all management people.
Does execution trump empowerment? 2 20 Jun 15, 2014 10:36PM
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • Only the Paranoid Survive
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Leading Change
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • The Essential Drucker
  • The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • The Speed of Trust: The One Thing that Changes Everything
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
What the CEO Wants You to Know: Using Business Acumen to Understand How Your Company Really Works Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't The Leadership Pipeline: How to Build the Leadership-Powered Company What the Customer Wants You to Know: How Everybody Needs to Think Differently About Sales Profitable Growth Is Everyone's Business: 10 Tools You Can Use Monday Morning

“The foundation of changing behavior is linking rewards to performance and making the linkages transparent.” 1 likes
“The heart of execution lies in the three core processes: the people process, the strategy process, and the operations process.” 0 likes