Start by marking “Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done” as Want to Read:
Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done

Execution: The Discipline of Getting Things Done

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  16,707 Ratings  ·  278 Reviews
The book that shows how to get the job done and deliver results . . . whether you’re running an entire company or in your first management job

Larry Bossidy is one of the world’s most acclaimed CEOs, a man with few peers who has a track record for delivering results. Ram Charan is a legendary advisor to senior executives and boards of directors, a man with unparalleled insi
Published November 10th 2009 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Execution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Execution

Feb 21, 2012 Al rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Execution: The discipline of Getting Things Done: Larry Bossidy and Ram Charan

Central Truths:

1. Execution is a systematic process of rigorously discussing hows and whats, questioning, tenaciously following through, and ensuring accountability.
2. No company can deliver on its commitments or adapt well to change unless all leaders practice the discipline of execution at all levels.
3. You need robust dialogue to surface the realities of the business.
4. How people talk to each other absolutely deter
May 18, 2013 JP rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a completely over-rated book. I suspect this made the top 20 best-ever booklist that led me to it on the basis that the title sounds good, like something a knowledgeable business person should advocate. Bossidy has earned the right to write on this topic, but the story lacks any sense of instructive meat. It's really more suited to a motivational speech or a Tom Peters interview. Reading 250+ pages was painful. Some business books are thoughtful; others make me really dislike business cultu ...more
A bit lengthy written with two main messages:

1. As a CEO or a leader at the top level management, it is wrong to only focus on the planning or big pictures. The 'modern'
style of managing is to also make sure how to get the things done. Do not blame the staffs if execution goes wrong.

2. To do point 1 above, make sure you hire good people that are entitled to get things done. To do so, you have to use all channels of reference checking, contact people that know your candidates closely.

Very inspir
David Lau
A former manager of mine once told me to read this book. That was back in 2007. It took me until now to read it, but now I understand why he had such high praise for the book.

Execution in it's simplest sense is to: get things done. Period. But it's more complex than those 3 words might suggest. It's about getting the right people in place, building a strategy around the resources available, and finally implementing the strategy, linking the strategy with people.

As with many other books on manag
CV Rick
It's not you, it's me.

Well . . . that's what I think at least.

So many business books read like a rehash of a boring seminar and this is no exception. Every page could be a power point. Every line could be a bullet point. Everything is crafted for presentation with very little background, substance or reference. Anecdote is not evidence, yet anecdote is ever-present.

You know, it reminds me of sitting through talks and speeches in church when I was a kid. All Mormon talks are exactly like this
Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book. Ram Charan is a very good business strategist and knowledgeable in the area of getting things done. He is articulate and has a thick accent and is very hard to understand. Larry Bossidy is an ex-GE person and is all about process. Larry's stories were pretty good. I felt like I was reading another book about GE. I think it boils down to the fact that some people know how to get things done and others don't. Some people will have things happen because they have good ...more
Nov 28, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is valuable to individuals and is even more value to senior leadership in organizations. I enjoyed considering the key difference between what behaviors successful companies exude. Also, I strongly agree that a culture of execution normally separates industry leaders from other companies. Here is my personal review of this book.

“Execution is a systematic process of rigorously discussing hows and whats, questioning, tenaciously following through, and ensuring accountability. It include
Robert Chapman
I gave this 3 stars not because it was a bad book, but rather because I think other books better convey a similar but more concise message. Those books would be The Oz Principle and The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals .

The idea that many people intellectualize, philosophize and cannot actually implement or execute is so very true, I have seen it over and over again in my career.

Leaders show up and get into the weeds, it builds dignity in subordinates. Forty perc
Mar 05, 2011 Patrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A rambling mess that seemed to have never crossed an editor's desk, this book read as though it was literally spoken into a tape recorder, transcribed and then published. As to its subject matter: I cannot think of one bromide the "authors" managed to leave out, particularly of the tautological sort. You hire good people by....hiring good people, you build good products by....building good products. Wow.

I finally tossed this sucker aside after about the 84,000th mention of Jack Welch, in such s
"Исполнение. Система достижения целей" очень хорошая, основательная и тщательно проработанная книга в которой приведено множество принципов, моделей и способов управления персоналом с целью незамедлительной, а главное качественной реализации бизнес-панов а также целей предприятий.

Авторы не просто люди оторванные от действительности теоретики, а люди которые достигли высоких позиций в корпоративном секторе и весьма успешные личности. И возможно поэтому книга у них получилась очень насыщенная и це
Tim Andersen
There were some good things to think about as far as open and honest feedback from reviews and assessment. There were also some good points on when to take coaching opportunities. Most of the book was about setting expectations and following through by holding people accountable. There is a lot of emphasis on scrutinizing the business plans of underlings and driving out the specific actions to see if they have actually thought about it or just made up numbers to meet their performance objectives ...more
Paul Bard
Jul 27, 2014 Paul Bard rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-to-be-read
It's not worth reading, in my opinion, because it's full of jargon and puffery. Who knows if the wall of corporate verbiage has any meaning or not? Apparently many are convinced it does. I am not.

As to the puffery, the book makes out plain prudence to be some great new discovery. This is not even marketing, but simply spin, as far as I can see. Because the authors are corporate leaders, this book is treated better than it deserves. It deserves to be treated as an marketing addition to the author
Thomas Andersen
May 31, 2011 Thomas Andersen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
I might have missed the point of this book, but what I came away with was:
- This is a book based in a different time and while execution is as fundamental to business success the "incarnation" in this book and its implementation is obsolete.
- It's hard to take it too seriously when statements that are key to the message of the book are based upon bad data.
- Most of what's usable in this book is just "re-branded" common sense. While they are good reminders they do not inspire nor impress.
- Stop t
Maureen Ennis
I was lucky enough to work at AlliedSignal and participate as Larry Bossidy ran the Execution machine he describes in this book. I have found it invaluable in transforming organizations of all sizes.
Zaher Alhaj
I think the book is overrated.

Although it includes some useful tips, however it lacks the deep thoughts that one can expect form such an over-hyped book.
Li Li
Mar 14, 2016 Li Li rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 Building Blocks of Execution

#A – The leaders 7 essential behavior
1. Know your people and business
a. Master the art of questioning and take questions – you intuitively know the culture and how well the managers normally communicates w/ the workforce.
b. Build personal connection – absent that personal connection, you are just a name.
c. Conduct business reviews – show up as a way of your appreciation and a reward for their extensive preparation. It’s not an interrogation, but take the form of a
Jun 09, 2013 Max rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the better leadership/management books that I have come across. Like most books of the genre, it stresses goals and visions as essential to moving forward, but this book takes it in a different direction: at some point, you need to stop dreaming and start doing something.

Execution stresses a more hands-on approach to leadership. It's not enough to simply sit back and be the idea guy hoping that someone else is taking care of the work. The book is generally written for the CEO leve
James Pritchert
Nov 25, 2014 James Pritchert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business leaders
This is a vintage read from the early 2000s. It is directed towards CEOs and those who want to be CEOs. All that aside, I enjoyed it and I have retrieved some useful nuggets of information that I am able to apply in my current position which is far from the CEO suite. It is a good thing to view the world of work from the top level instead of the trenches. It tends to help put things into perspective for us working guys.
Mark Hanson
A few interesting and helpful suggestions, but for the most part it was a lot of verbiage without much actionable content. Geared for much larger organizations with a larger hierarchical structure of authority where one can push off the actual process of doing to many direct reports.
Dec 11, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Again, had to read it for a class but man do all business leaders need to read it. Turn your goals into results people! Stop sitting around and waiting for someone under you to do it for you!
Mar 29, 2015 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
It's been awhile since I read this but I remember it being helpful at the stage of my career where I was shifting into more strictly management responsibilities.
Carol Ferguson
I tried to listen to the audiobook and it was terrible. What a shame - the subject sounded intriguing. I have up.
Aug 24, 2011 Naomi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was simply fantastic and laid out a number of important points in regards to follow through. I have recommended this book to a number of clients I have worked with.
Anita Griffin
Mar 01, 2009 Anita Griffin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, all-books
Great book and is also available as a talking book.
Jan 06, 2010 Russ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Not an easy read, but great stuff. Must be read several times.
Nirav Goswami
Aug 29, 2008 Nirav Goswami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: th
this is a good book for all management people.
Narek Manukyan
No hidden truths revealed, still some real cases to consider.
Oct 20, 2014 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall very good, I recommend it for anyone with interest in leadership and/or management (of course those two ideas are not the same, but the concept of execution as laid out here is important to both, albeit to the former more so). As one might expect, the more important and more general ideas are presented first, with increasing granularity toward the end of the book. Depending on one's own background and interest, some of the latter parts may be of more marginal interest; for example, those ...more
Donovan Richards
The Academy and the Company
Having experienced this phenomenon over the last year or so, I can safely attest to its accuracy. The shift between academic life and business life is stark, challenging, and effulgent.

The scholarly life requires deep rumination, careful consideration, and an ability to distill complexity into simplicity so that others might learn. In terms of delivery, the academic certainly has deadlines, but responsibility falls on one’s self. There are no clear and present responsi
Alejandro Rentería
I really enjoyed reading this book, it provides real life examples of how companies like GE and Honeywell have excelled on their fields by having a good understanding of their culture, being good at developing their people and by knowing how to close the gap between strategy and operations. I would have like to read a newer edition with up to date examples more aligned with the current leading industries and the current economic environment, that looks quite different than 15 years ago.
Does execution trump empowerment? 2 20 Jun 15, 2014 10:36PM
  • Competing for the Future
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • In Search of Excellence: Lessons from America's Best-Run Companies
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action
  • Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?: Inside IBM's Historic Turnaround
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Leading Change
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • The Game-Changer
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • Financial Intelligence: A Manager's Guide to Knowing What the Numbers Really Mean
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • Management Challenges for the 21st Century
  • First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • The Discipline of Market Leaders: Choose Your Customers, Narrow Your Focus, Dominate Your Market

“The foundation of changing behavior is linking rewards to performance and making the linkages transparent.” 2 likes
“The leader must be in charge of getting things done by running the three core processes—picking other leaders, setting the strategic direction, and conducting operations.” 2 likes