Start by marking “Shadow Season: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Shadow Season: A Novel

Shadow Season: A Novel

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  26 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Tom Piccirilli's The Last Kind Words.

An ex-cop, Finn was left literally blinded by violence. The one thing he can still see is the body of his wife, Dani, and a crime scene that won’t fade from his mind’ s eye. Now a professor, Finn never would have guessed that an isolated girls’ prep school could be every bit as dangerous as
Published October 27th 2009 by Bantam (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Season

Johnarthurmiller Miller
This is a gritty noir-ish novel about a blind detective. What writer could possibly make a character who needs his vision to spot clues interesting, dark (pardon the pun) and exiciting? Very few, in my opinion, which is why Tom Piccirilli's "Shadow Season" is top-notch.

Piccirilli's ability to to write about contrasts in this novel is amazing. It's been a while since I've read the book, but I remember one paragraph in which he wrote about his main character wanting to die but needing to live. Wha
Gatorman
Another solid read from Piccirilli, I would give it 3.5 stars but the satisfying open ending elevated it to 4 stars. Piccirilli writes well but sometimes too well, with characters talking in ways real people wouldn't which became frustrating at times. However, the story has a steady pace and the lead character Finn is unique and well-drawn. Enough action and suspense to overcome the book's flaws and the aforementioned ending was rather fitting. Not as good as The Last Kind Words but better than ...more
Miriam
I devoured this fun, suspenseful book in a day. There's a great boarding school plot as well as a curious mystery about a former cop who teaches there. Totally entertaining, well-written and super page-turny. Highly recommended for total reading immersion.
Dorie
Finn is an ex-cop who has lost his sight, his wife and his job, and now works as a teacher at a remote girls-only school. But his violent past is about to catch up with him. The story of what happened to Finn's wife, and how he lost his sight, is revealed gradually through flashbacks. Once the action starts in the book it turns really good and it is difficult to set the book down. There is no denying that this book was an unrelenting thriller -- well, once the action started about 2/3 in. The be ...more
Michael
Finn is a former NY cop who is haunted by the event that left him blind and his wife, Danielle, dead.

He works as a professor in an exclusive girl's school outside of New York.

The story centers on the Christmas vacation and the campus is mostly deserted. The only other male on the campus is an Irishman named Murphy or "Murph." He has a bad shoulder and to the blind Finn, Murph "...smells of shaving lather and whiskey." Murph serves as the groundskeeper at the school.

Although blinded, Finn's othe
Larry Hoffer
Tom Piccirilli may very well be one of the best thriller writers that you've never heard of. With all of the publicity that writers like James Patterson, Lee Child, Stephen Hunter and others get, given the quality of his writing, a little name-recognition for Piccirilli would be well-deserved. Books like The Cold Spot, The Midnight Road and The Coldest Mile are fantastic, grab-you-by-the-throat thrillers, all of which I've devoured in one or two sittings.

That being said, I feel as if Piccirilli
William M.
4 AND 1/2 STARS.

Shadow Season is another brilliant novel by suspense and thriller author Tom Piccirilli. The insight and depth in which he writes about his characters are so raw that, at times, it is painful to read (in a good way, of course). I am constantly blown away by his poetic prose and the layers of psychology he uses to flesh out his characters.

While I became a fan of Piccirilli from his days writing horror, I've grown to appreciate his versatility as a writer of thrillers and crime f
Nick Cato
SHADOW SEASON by Tom Piccirilli (to be published 10/27/09 by Bantam / mmp)

Piccirilli strikes with yet another crime/noir caper, this time pitting a former cop (now a teacher at an isolated private school) against a corrupt ex-partner as well as the mob.

The twist this time is our protagonist, Finn, has been blind since leaving the force. At his new job, he teaches literature and has a relationship with the school nurse; pretty young students continually flirt with him and he spends much time medi
Crini
Um den schrecklichen Tod seiner Frau zu überwinden, lässt Finn alles hinter sich und wird Lehrer an einem Internat in einem sehr abgelegenen, kleinen Ort. Doch mit den Ereignissen dieses einen schrecklichen Tages wird er jeden Tag zu kämpfen haben, denn er verlor nicht nur seine Frau, sondern auch sein Augenlicht und lebt seit dem in völliger Dunkelheit und orientiert sich zum Großteil über seinen Geruchssinn.
Doch als er plötzlich ein Mädchen verletzt auf dem Friedhof nahe der Schule findet, übe
Kerry Clair
Wasn't crazy about this one. I found it a frustrating and abstract read. It almost felt like the author was trying to challenge himself to see if he could write a book like this. It was just constantly frustrating. I really didn't care for it much at all but giving it three stars because this guy can write and his dialogues are really well done. Just didn't care for this book much at all.
Tim Niland
Finn is an former New York City cop now teaching English Literature at an exclusive all-girls prep school. He is also blind from injuries received when he was still on the force. Out for a walk during a deepening snowstorm, Finn comes across an injured girl from the local town whose enigmatic warning sets off a wave of mysterious violence, that threatens to engulf Finn in the life he has tried to leave behind. Piccirilli is one of the best thriller writers currently practicing and this is a deft ...more
David
It is almost as if there are two books here.

The first is this dark, strange, disorienting tale of a blind guy. There is mystery and confusion as the pieces of what is going on in his life slowly starts to shuffle together.

The second half of the book is a very straight forward thriller story.

Each, in their ownright, is somewhat satisfying, but together it doesn't quite completely work.

That being said, I like Piccirilli's use of language, he sets the stage and tone really well, I'd be curious to s
Edward
You know anything from Tom Piccirilli is going to be a good read and this is no different. It's about an ex-cop named Finn who now teaches at an exclusive school for girls. Interspersed through the narretive is the backstory of the conflict between him and his old partner Ray. His past and present are about to collide in a bloody way.

Part one of Shadow Season starts a little slow without much action. Once you get to part two though the suspense really starts to build. By part three you are rock
Ron
Very good yet very dark novel. The story is filled with tragedy and betrayal, not many uplifting moments here. I liked the story, it was captivating; slowly drawing you in. Not a lot of action but when something does happen it is suspenseful and unnerving. I almost gave up on this book, the story is told alternating from present day to the past and there is a lot of back story. I read over 100 pages and was still wondering what the main focus of the story was. I am glad I persevered because the ...more
Zora
Jul 12, 2014 Zora marked it as couldnt-get-into  ·  review of another edition
A bit too much creepy pedophile in the main character for my tastes.
Slowrabbit
i haven't read a straight-ahead mass market thriller like this in a long time. to be honest, i wasn't sure what to make of it (or how to rate it). while it pushes around it's fair share of hokey thriller stereotypes, i found it oddly seductive & compelling. and a quick read. but i'm also hopped up on cold medicine so maybe i'm just an easy mark. i have 2 other books by him lying around- maybe once i look at those i'll have a bit more to say or a clearer take on his writing style.
Blu
Another triumph from Tom Piccirilli. Piccirilli is one of the great authors that no one is reading. His stories pack the punch of the old pulp greats, but they are written in fluid, almost poetic prose.

For a look at his upcoming short story collection, FUTILE EFFORTS, check out my review.
Brandon James
I get the feeling this wasn't the best introduction to Tom Piccirilli. Overall I found the story to be alright. Pacing was definitely fast, but I didn't really feel like any of the characters were fleshed out enough, or rather, that I had any reason to care about them. Enjoyable, but forgettable.
Mike OConnor
Enjoyable and fast reading. But thinking back I can't identify anything outstanding about the book. I know it won several awards but it doesn't stand out as a prize winner for me. I found the capabiltiy of the blind ex-cop to be a little hard to believe.
Robert James
I like this author's most recent works a lot but this was pretty good too. The story is pretty suspenseful and the fact that the protagonist is blind makes it unique. The author also makes good use of flashbacks.
Michele
Super creepy, awesome book. The descriptions of life as a blind man were so good. The scary storm was brilliant. The ending was perfect. I loved every minute of life at this Girls School.
Olee B
This one has copped my attention, reeling me in with its fast paced prose. I have to take breaks to savour the literary prowess of Piccirilli.
Tumpale
I really enjoyed this book. The one problem I had is that they're not 'Senegalians', they're 'Senegalese'!
Albehm
I had a difficult time finishing this one. It wasn't one of those books you just can't put down.
Luke Allison
It's Piccirilli in usual form, somewhere between The Midnight Road and November Mourns.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Ceilidh
Ceilidh marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
  • Panic Attack
  • The Prone Gunman
  • Hoodtown
  • Out of the Black
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Blanche Passes Go
  • Switch
  • The Dark Ones
  • Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)
  • Bleed a River Deep (Inspector Devlin, #3)
  • Tequila Sunset
  • Always (Aud Torvingen #3)
  • The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie, #1)
  • The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter (Glasgow Underworld Trilogy, #1)
Hellboy: Emerald Hell The Last Kind Words A Choir of Ill Children The Cold Spot Every Shallow Cut