Start by marking “Delta Green : The Rules of Engagement” as Want to Read:
Delta Green : The Rules of Engagement

Delta Green : The Rules of Engagement (Delta Green Fiction)

Delta Green: The Rules of Engagement is the first Delta Green novel, following the release of the short story collection Delta Green: Alien Intelligence. Delta Green weaves the comic terrors of the Cthulhu Mythos seamlessly with the paranoia and shadowy forces of conspiracy theory, updating the stories of jazz era horror writer H. P. Lovecraft to the modern day.
Published February 14th 2000 by Tynes Cowan Corp

To ask other readers questions about Delta Green , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delta Green

Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 Nancy Oakes rated it really liked it
Shelves: weird, lovecraftian
Actually, this is more of a book for people who are into the Delta Green RPGs, which I am not. I'm not a gamer at all, but I thought I'd try the book because it said it was based on the Cthulhu Mythos.

This book is kind of a cross between the X-files, a techno-thriller a la Tom Clancy and is filled with conspiracies behind conspiracies behind conspiracies. The meat of this story is that one of the Delta Green agents (an organization which supposedly started with the FBI raid on Innsmouth -- I'll
neko cam
Mar 05, 2013 neko cam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, horror, madness
Delta Green: The Rules of Engagement (henceforth DG:TRoE) is a wonderfully matter-of-fact presentation of the sort of procedure behind a typical DG operation. Its sense of factuality is enriched by the depth and frank humanity of its characters - even those who are no longer strictly human.

It was tricky at first keeping straight so many characters, each referred to with two or three different names (real name and code name, mostly), but that difficulty quickly fell to the wayside once the story
Psychophant
Though it is inspired by the Delta Green game, and even refers to some scenarios from the rulebook, this is not a gaming book, but a full novel by itself. And not a bad Mythos novel by itself, even if the HPL cosmic horror is clear only at the end, unless you are quite familiar with it to recognize the signs.

It plays on the Heart of Darkness conundrum, where you risk to become what you fight, made even clearer when you fight supernatural horrors. It will help characters realize how alienated the
Ville Halonen
Mar 30, 2016 Ville Halonen rated it really liked it
I was a huge John Tynes fanboy back when this novel came out, but somehow never got to reading it until now. I have to say, he knows his business and this is fine stuff for a first novel. I like his style and his pacing; I was also impressed by the structure.

Compared to Lovecraft, without whom this novel wouldn't exist, Tynes actually has believable and likable characters. They feel human, they have problems, their very human psychologies lead to decisions that shape the story. I quite liked th
Daniel
Jun 30, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing
This is the first Delta Green book I have read, and in fact they are kinda hard to get ahold of now. I am trying to actively acquire the others now. What a good read! Modern weird science/Cthulhu and a mish mosh of other things thrown in for strangeness and to keep things lively. Well written, with interesting characters, and a "hands around your neck" pace, this book doesn't let you go. Read it....read it now! I hope you can find it!

Danny
Matt
Dec 25, 2009 Matt rated it really liked it
I thought this book was fun as hell. Liking Cthulhu, especially modern Cthulhu RPGs, I was stoked for this book. It didn't disappoint. Tynes obviously did a lot of research into how covert agencies work. I also liked the pacing of the story, and the interesting actions the 'player characters' took to get through the adventure (aka story.) Was also REALLY creepy at parts. Woot.
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
May 04, 2009
Bryan Rombough
Bryan Rombough rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Pfong
Pfong rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Ray
Ray rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2008
Chris Sasaki
Chris Sasaki rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Simon
Simon rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Paul Haban
Paul Haban rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Hyrum
Hyrum rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2008
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Abdul
Abdul rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2014
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
May 01, 2012
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Adrian
Adrian rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
Ryan
Ryan rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
David Wienecke
David Wienecke rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2013
Robi Sen
Robi Sen rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Matthew Roberts
Matthew Roberts rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Jon
Jon rated it liked it
May 19, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Delta Green Fiction (8 books)
  • Delta Green: Alien Intelligence
  • Delta Green: Dark Theatres (Short Fiction Collection, Delta Green Cthulhu Mythos)
  • Delta Green: Denied to the Enemy