Start by marking “7 Deadly Scenarios 7 Deadly Scenarios 7 Deadly Scenarios” as Want to Read:
7 Deadly Scenarios 7 Deadly Scenarios 7 Deadly Scenarios

7 Deadly Scenarios 7 Deadly Scenarios 7 Deadly Scenarios

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  201 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
A global pandemic finds millions swarming across the U.S. border. Major American cities are leveled by black-market nukes. China's growing civil unrest ignites a global showdown. Pakistan'scollapse leads to a hunt for its nuclear weapons. What if the worst that could happen actually happens? How will we respond? Are we prepared?
These are the questions that Andrew F. Krepi
Published January 27th 2009 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Deadly Scenarios 7 Deadly Scenarios 7 Deadly Scenarios

William
So how many ways can the United States lose in a future conflict or crisis? Andrew Krepenivich counts the ways in his "7 Deadly Scenarios."

Scenarios are basically hypothetical problems that are within the span of possibility in the real world, which planners use to practice crafting policies and responses. They might fall "out of the blue," but even an unexpected hypothetical will jar the reader into thinking about solutions from different angles, perhaps outside the boundaries of conventional
Paul
Mar 07, 2009 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking at the changing face of war in the 21st Century, this book looks at several deadly scenarios that will threaten America's, and the world's, security in the near future.

A large part of the world's oil tankers have to travel through two geographic choke points: the Strait of Malacca, between Malaysia and Indonesia, and the Persian Gulf. What would happen to the price of oil, and the world economy, if one was closed because a supertanker was sunk in the most inconvenient spot, and the other
Chad Manske
Apr 05, 2015 Chad Manske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first met Andrew Krepenevich when I was running the Air Force's strategy division in 2008. He was finalizing this book and would publish at the beginning of 2009; and after having read it his brilliance is further enhanced in my mind. What he brings to light in this volume should keep most defense planners and strategists up at night. The worst of the worst scenarios are played out with the helpless United States often watching on the sidelines. His scenarios are both plausible and potentially ...more
James
The scenarios the author presents are very plausible. They're grounded in projections of present reality, take place in the near future, and are carefully thought out. Anyone interested in military science, geopolitics, or near-future economics should read this. I hope the leaders of the world are thinking about possibilities like these so that they won't be caught unprepared if they start to happen.
Brandon Williams
Feb 06, 2016 Brandon Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the title indicates, the author presents seven very chilling realistic scenarios that could impact the world in a variety of ways, including a monstrous hike in oil prices due to a Middle East conflict. While 9/11 is nearly 15 years past us, the threat of a devastating attack that shakes the way of living in the developed world is one that is a reminder each of us should realize is a way of life. The Paris attacks last November would have been a horrifying eighth scenario. While the book is s ...more
Cropredy
Jun 20, 2015 Cropredy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Well, are you putting off an indulgence purchase for yourself because you just don't feel the time is right? That the economy or your job or your feelings about the future register towards the negative on your mental scale? Go out and buy that indulgence because after reading this book, you'll feel that if you're alive after one of these plausible scenarios come to pass, you'll feel lucky to have electricity and food so why not give yourself some pleasure now?

As a college student, I read 'Thinki
Cherith Cutestory
Jan 04, 2011 Cherith Cutestory rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Then again, what else do you expect from a book that Joe Lieberman praised? Andrew Krepinevich's book oozes so much hatred, it really makes your jaw drops.

The book propounds 7 catastrophic scenarios. Five of them are caused by or directly related to Muslims. While the other two aren't, Krepinevich nevertheless managed to insert a few parts about "radical Islamists".

Chapter 1 is about the implosion of Pakistan.

- In page 31, Krepinevich mentions something about Jihadists and "terror campaigns in A
Richard
Personally, I wasn't as interested in this book as I thought I would be. So my personal rating would be 2 stars. However, it's not the author's fault that my level of interest is low. Objectively, I would say the book earns at least 4 stars. I split the difference and awarded 3 stars.

Just like the reviews and blurbs say, the author presents 7 possible future conflicts in order to guide US planning and strategy. This isn't pie-in-the-sky stuff. Every scenario is believable and is firmly grounded
William Crosby
Nov 17, 2012 William Crosby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keep in mind that the author is not trying to predict the future, nor does he offer a solution for each scenario. Do that and you won't feel frustrated. Otherwise, the book has a good mix of history (why is a particular scenario developing), current US capabilities (the focus is from a US military point of view so don't look for the author to suggest that we get rid of cars or stop our reliance on oil), and the capabilities and projected mindset of others. Only one scenario does not deal with a ...more
Bruce
This book has a published date of February 2009 which must be born in mind as the author uses a combination of real and fictional footnotes in each of his scenarios making them seem more authentic. All seven are plausible and elements of some have already occurred. The subtitle shows them being militarily based, which they are because it is anticipated the military will deal with all of the issues. Be it an implosion of foreign countries, actual attacks in the US or world wide attacks on lines o ...more
Diane
Jun 16, 2014 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book explores possible future military crises. The author has some prescient observations, particularly about Iraq and the Middle East, but his writing style isn't very engaging. He likes to develop scenarios using fake names for the president and advisors, and this detracts from the writing style.
Kevin
May 25, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A disturbing peek over the military horizon …

Author Andrew Krepinevich has written a chilling cluster of future scenarios in which American power, society and safety may be challenged by both conventional and unconventional foes. 9/11 was minor league compared to some of the situations he describes.

Krepinevich is neither predicting nor ruling out these set pieces, aiming to stimulate strategic thinking and planning for the American military as part of its war gaming.

One can only hope that such
Maria
What if Pakistan broke out in civil war, with both factions controlling nuclear weapons? What if a nuclear bomb was used on US soil? What if a pandemic swept the world and our health care and borders collapsed? What if Iran developed a nuclear bomb and attacked Israel? Krepinevich explores these possibilities and more to jump start the conversation of what our military should be preparing for in the next ten years.

Why I started this book: I put myself on hold for several books and this one just
John
Dec 11, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating look at some potential future conflicts. As Krepinevich himself states, these scenarios aren't necessarily likely - rather, they're written with a level of hyperrealistic detail to illustrate potential shortcomings in the U.S. military posture. It's a quick but engrossing summary of some hotspots around the globe, if nothing else: Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, China, Mexico and others. The author wears his politics on his sleeve in a few places but it's not glaring enough to be dist ...more
Flavio
I would like to real this book? What do I have to do for this?
Thanks!
Patrick Shrier
Feb 05, 2015 Patrick Shrier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent set of possible scenarios that could challenge the US in the coming years.
Kate
Aug 26, 2016 Kate added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Book report by PFC Haring.
Eric Rivero
Oct 09, 2012 Eric Rivero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tremendous insight into DoD strategists identified potential causes of future conflicts which could impact/draw in the United States. Some of the scenarios include China, plagued by a stumbling economy, invades Taiwan; Iran, mines the straits of Hormuz, and a viral epidemic in Mexico...amongst others. Very eye-opening and interesting. I thought each scenario went on longer than it needed to...averaged 30pgs/scenario. Should have been 20pgs max.
Frank Kelly
Krepinevich offers seven global crisis scenarios -- more like war gaming exercises -- that could happen in the coming years. Ranging from Iran to China to Russia, each is scary in their own way, well thought out and quite provacative. For the political strategist as well as market strategists, this is a good book to feed your imagination and expand your vision of just what might happen one day (God forbid!).
James
Dec 28, 2014 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not entirely comfortable with the fact that this author has given seven very thorough ideas to anyone interested in destroying the planet
Stacy
Feb 28, 2010 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
For writers, this is an interesting study in projecting future realities based on current facts. I don't agree with several of his core premises, so I'm finding most of the scenarios implausible, but there's enough walk-through of how the projection process works to make for interesting reading (I am, admittedly, skipping some of the clunkier sections).
Kate
Jul 16, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating description of 7 possible scenarios the US may find itself in in the future. They range from domestic bombings to a pandemic to civil war in Pakistan. Basing these scenarios off of trends that have developed within the last 1-2 decades, Krepinevich paints believable pictures of a drastically different world.
Dorothy
Jan 08, 2013 Dorothy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
Cool concept - scenarios imagined and detailed by a military futurist, a person paid to think up how current trends will project into the next 10-30 years. I never finished it due to a combination of (1) the book's dry nature, and (2) my paranoid nature. I really don't need anything else to worry about.
Jake
Apr 01, 2009 Jake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well researched. The author is very knowledgeable about the subject and helps the reader think outside the box in assessing different scenarios. However, it is not as layman friendly as I would have preferred.
Micah
Jul 21, 2013 Micah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deadly Scenario #8: The aliens from Signs come back wearing wetsuits. They tickle all the adults to death, leaving the children to take care of things Lord of the Flies style.

Just something to think about...
Loren
Sep 14, 2011 Loren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Scary but a little far fetched and very little into how would be the best way to solve the problems. Hate having problems that people don't suggest an answer for.
Patmead
Aug 18, 2010 Patmead rated it really liked it
Food for thought. Scenario thinking is important for many things in life.
Jared Sutton
Jun 15, 2013 Jared Sutton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really good. Gave an interesting perspective on foreign policy.
Tom
Aug 10, 2011 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
highly fictionalized with fake references.
Hassnain Farooq
Well in making conspiracies Sky is the limit
  • Another Bloody Century
  • A Fiery Peace in a Cold War: Bernard Schriever and the Ultimate Weapon
  • John Brown: His Fight for Freedom
  • Medea: Harlan's World
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • The Army of the Republic: A Novel