Start by marking “Buffalo Valley” as Want to Read:
Buffalo Valley

Buffalo Valley (Dakota #4)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,092 ratings  ·  59 reviews
"It's a time of change for a small prairie town"

Buffalo Valley, North Dakota, has a will to survive, to prosper. And the outside world has discovered Buffalo Valley. A large retail conglomerate plans to move in, which would surely destroy the independent businesses...and maybe the town.

"It's a season of change for Vaughn Kyle"

Just out of the army, he's looking for a life t
Published July 1st 2007 by Mira Books (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Buffalo Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffalo Valley

Cori
Once again, I kept wishing calamities on the characters. I don't know if it is the way that Debbie Macomber ties everything up so sweetly or if it is that I am so morose.
Connie N.
A charming holiday book revisiting Buffalo Valley and its friendly townsfolk. We meet Vaughn as he comes to the town to meet old friend Hassie as well as to get a feel for the town's reaction to the infiltration of his new employer, a large box store. There's a very quick romance between him and Hassie's friend and co-worker, Carrie. The book is sweet and very feel-good, but it's so short that there's barely enough time to get to know the characters or understand them very much. The author provi ...more
Elainefosbrink
Her series really brings to life what it is like living in North Dakota. This was the fourth in a series and when read it brings back memories from the others and feels like revisiting an dear friend.
Heidi
Very short (compared to the other 3), and good story. I liked how the town rallied together to keep Value-X from moving into the community, and ultimately destroying the town, with a love story thrown in for good measure. I also enjoyed how it ended with the wedding invitation.
Michelle Molinari
This is hands down the best book of the Dakota series. A quick read, perfect for a domestic airplane trip. The love story between outsider Vaughn and local gal Carrie as they try to keep a Walmart-type big box store from taking root in their cute small town.
Barbi
I loved this book! The characters in this book are so well described and are so relatable.
Paula Baker
Another wonderful book by Debbie Macomber! Her simplistic style of writing and her characters are always so believable and easy to relate to. I have read many, many of her books and haven't been disappointed yet. She is remarkable in the way she weaves real life romance into her work without making it a steamy sex scene. I, personally, would rather leave those details to my own imagination rather than have them explained vividly to me. I would highly recommend Buffalo Valley ... easy read and ha ...more
Angie
Synopsis: "In this charming volume, Buffalo Valley faces a new challenge. Everyone thinks Vaughn Kyle has come to town to meet Hassie Knight. After all, Vaughn was named after Hassie's dead son, and this is the first time he's come to town. What the folks in town don't know is that Vaughn's fiancée, Natalie Nichols, works for the Value-X conglomerate, and that Natalie has asked Vaughn to use this visit as a scouting trip to evaluate Buffalo Valley as a location for one of their superstores. If t ...more
Another sweet book by Debbie Macomber.
This is a continuation of the Dakota series. I have not read the others in the series and I'm sure I missed a few things, but honestly, it didn't seem to matter. Vaughn Kyle was a new character introduced to Buffalo Valley and he learned all about it as I did. I'm sure for someone who has read the other books, it was nice to meet up with all the old characters and find out how they are doing.
Vaughn goes to Buffalo Valley to meet Hassie Knight, the mother of
Linda C
This is the concluding volume in the Buffalo Valley series and the most predictable of the series. This story takes place 5 years after the last one. All of the couples in the previous volumes appear as integral parts of the story and the side stories which had been resolved are all mentioned. This is the shortest of the 4 stories and this back story telling becomes a little jarring when the heroine here is constantly telling the hero everybody's life story. Vaughn, the hero, is named after Hass ...more
Robin Clemons
Good old fashioned values win everytimw

Good old fashioned values win everytimw

a great way to revisit values that are sadly lacking in today's young people. It reminded me of the town that I have grown to love. People pulling together to bring the best to their communities.

I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to learn or be reminded of the way things were for past generations.
Jan Mcleod
As expected, this is basically a love story between Vaughn and Carrie, but it has so much more to it--the love and support of family unity and the unity of a community as well.
Vaughn completely changes his mind about Buffalo Valley after seeing the values people have about their community and each other.
It definitely is a book I would recommend, but I'm sorry to see the send of the series and the friends we've come to know and love.
Michelle
I was so excited to finally find this book to be able to read the last book in the Dakota series since the first three were so good. Unfortunately this book was bad. It was an ok story but not enough involvement from previous characters in the series to overcome the main characters. The main couple had little chemisty; the courtship was full of lies; and then wrapped up in 5 minutes to a happy ending. The other focus of the story was Value X coming to town and how the people were fighting back y ...more
Corriejane
I loved this series despite it being older and out of date. I was really excited when I stumbled upon this 4th book. I read it in a day so I wish it was a little longer but it was good. It is set a few years after the trilogy so I enjoyed hearing how things changed since the last novel. I am never disappointed with Debbie Macomber!
Medea Royal
Just finished Buffalo Valley and I have to say I really liked it, once again Debbie Macomber has shown us small town America at its best and how it can hold out against big corporate companies trying to take over small businesses. Those small businesses are the cornerstone of America and as Americans we forgot how this great country got started and it's small towns like Buffalo Valley that shows us that small town America will not die quietly, but live and prosper just fine. I am really glad I r ...more
Rosie
A refreshing though predictable read--my first Macomber read. I enjoyed it even though it was the end of the series. I had picked it up as a possible Christmas gift but decided to read it myself--so glad I did!
Culleen
very well written 4th installment of the Dakota series. Macomber did a great job of reminding the reader of who the characters were and how they were intertwined. She also did a nice job introducing new characters. I felt like I was in Buffalo Valley.
Helen
This book just fell really flat for me compared to the other books in the series. If it had not been so short I would not have even finished reading it. it didn't carry any of the charm of the original characters in my opinion.
Betty Silvia
I was disappointed in this book as I didn't like the main character Carrie. The drama was forced, and I was wishing something bad would happen to this girl so she would really have something to complain about. Not much action - unless you count the cookie exchange at the church. Dull and predictable.
Gail Jorgensen
nice Christmas story by Debbie Macomber a nice change from all the mysteries I have been reading.
Ashley Wong
Great novel with well-described characters as well as a perfect ending.
Thea
Loved this series but the end left me with unanswered questions I hate that.
J.B. Stockings
A totally predictable, totally forgettable story. Macomber spends so much time trying to review all her town's characters, she spends very little time developing the two people the book is supposed to center around. They start to do something together, and she just cuts off to some part of the story we couldn't care less about. There's never any real confrontation with the big, bad Value-X that is supposedly coming to destroy their town, and the climax just falls flat. She obviously just rushed ...more
Linda
Loved this series! Sorry to see it end.
Leanne Langan
Great end of series book. Reminds me of my childhood in Minnesota and North Dakota
Kim Hampton
A fitting ending to the "Dakota" series. Vaughn comes to town to meet the mother of the man he was named after. Hassie's son died in Vietnam and his fiancee married his best friend instead and named her only son after her first love. What the town doesn't know is that Vaughn has a secret: he's working for the big-box retailer that wants to open a chain store in Buffalo Valley. He doesn't plan to fall in love with Carrie, the pharmacy intern, but he can't help himself. Will his secret destroy any ...more
Don Nelson
Buffalo Valley, ND continued
Samantha
I would move to Buffalo Valley too.
  • Amazing Gracie
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Lady Margery's Intrigue (Regency Royal, #4)
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)
  • The Bachelor Prince
  • Best Laid Plans (Loving Jack, #2)
  • Just Like a Man (OPUS prequel)
  • Hot Flash Holidays
  • Hey, Good Looking
  • To Commit
  • Almost Home
  • Innocence (A Forbidden Love, Book 1)
  • Woodrose Mountain (Hope's Crossing,#2)
  • For Better or Hearse (Annabelle Archer, #2)
  • One Summer (Shelter Bay, #2)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • House of Glass
  • Never Tease a Wolf

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #
More about Debbie Macomber...

Dakota (4 books)
  • Dakota Born (Dakota, #1)
  • Dakota Home (Dakota, #2)
  • Always Dakota (Dakota, #3)
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5) Back on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #4)