The Executor

The Executor (Vertigo Crime)

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  18 reviews
THE EXECUTOR is the story of Joseph, a retired pro athlete, who returns to his hometown in upstate New York when he's named executor of his high-school sweetheart's will. In a search to find out what really happened to Miriam following her mysterious death, Joseph is confronted with his own illicit past and the possibility that the two are connected.
Published May 25th 2010 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Executor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Executor

Erik
Yet another notch in Vertigo Crime’s nascent line of graphic novels that explore a well-trodden genre that never fails to captivate. Mutti may not be the best artist, in my layman’s opinion, for this riveting and sordid tale of a long-ago series of crimes that haunt Joe Ullen, a former pro-hockey player who becomes the titular executor of his late high school girlfriend. Yet Evans’ plot bends in such a way to deliver a wallop when the secrets behind his ex-girlfriend’s recent death – some twenty...more
Tobin
A gritty crime yarn. I just couldn't pass it up when I saw it on the library shelf. It's Vertigo Crime! The imprint hasn't let me down yet.

I gave it an 8/10 on my personal scale.

-tpl
Nikmaack
I decided to check out the Vertigo Crime graphic novels because one of them was cheesy but fun. Others have been god awful. Two looked so bad I didn't even bother trying to read them after the first few pages.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Are they aiming for a depth comics just can't reach? Or is it just that the stories they're aiming for are too complex for a comic book of such few pages?

With this particular novel, I eventually found myself skimming. I just wanted it to be over. When the...more
Colin Birge
At its best, The Executor reminds me of Andrew Vachss' "Two Trains Running" and "The Getaway Man," noir-driven stories of small towns with deadly secrets. Andrea Mutti's art is dark, lush, and perfectly suited for the tale. Jon Evans' script betrays a few Canadian touches (a retired pro hockey player as small-town hero?) and starts a bit slowly for a thriller, but ramps up very quickly. His dialog is believable and interesting without being mannered or staccato, and his outsider's perspective on...more
Trisha
This is the first graphic novel I've ever read, so keep that in mind.

Frankly, the writing was like a slice of swiss cheese: full of holes. Not holes in plot but holes in story in general.

Also, the illustration left a lot to be desired. While the artist was good with nature and dark imagery, she wasn't able to draw women very well. They all looked like men. Except when boobs were present.

Still, the story caught me toward the end, so that's why it gets 2 stars instead of 1.
Jason Seaver
The newest selection from "Vertigo Crime" is a tight, suspenseful noir comic set against the backdrop of a small town next to an Indian reservation. It does the job well: Quick set-up, story that hints at something bad and winds up getting worse. The art is clean, using gray scales rather than the stark black-and-white of some of the other books in the line.
Nicole Romine
There are some very unsettling and dark plot lines in "The Executor," from Vertigo's graphic mystery series. Despite the disturbing narrative, I was not engaged in the story. This is probably the result of the graphic novel's dialogue and art, both of which was stiff. A slightly disappointing read.
Steve
A tight crime thriller with very clean art that helps the storytelling a great deal. Fast-paced with lots of twists and turns. One of the best Vertigo Crime books yet.
Josh
Certainly the strongest of the Vertigo Crime books I've read so far. This is especially true in the art department, and I hope to see more from Andrea Mutti soon.
Desiree
Intriguing tale! Things take an exciting turn when the protagonist returns home to execute a will... Recommended for crime graphic novel readers!
William Thomas
Written and paneled like a poorly edited low budget 80's thriller. Nothing special, but not the bottom of the barrel either. Just poor execution.
Stien
David
Nov 23, 2012 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comix
Digging these Vertigo crime graphic novels. This one was solid. Intense subject matter. Read it in one sitting.
Adam
Jul 02, 2010 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comic
One if the better Vertigo Crime books. Better than Area 10 even.
Michael Bacon
Well-told but not particularly unique crime story.
Brendan Howard
Feb 07, 2012 Brendan Howard rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Scalped, modern noir, and minimalist dialogue
Shelves: comic-books
A good contemporary thriller of a graphic novel.
Twan
Jul 25, 2012 Twan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Mohawks and murders.
Jordan McPeek
Jordan McPeek marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Filipe Alves
Filipe Alves marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Cory
Cory added it
Jul 24, 2014
Will Cooper
Will Cooper marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Holly Barker
Holly Barker marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Beasts of New York: A Children's Book for Grown-Ups Invisible Armies Dark Places The Night Of Knives The Blood Price