Start by marking “The Secret: What Great Leaders Know -- And Do” as Want to Read:
The Secret: What Great Leaders Know -- And Do

The Secret: What Great Leaders Know -- And Do

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  671 ratings  ·  67 reviews
In the now classic business fable, The Secret, Debbie, a struggling leader finds herself about to lose her job due to poor performance. In a desperate attempt to save her career, she enrolls in a new mentoring program offered by her company. Much to her surprise, Debbie finds her mentor is the president of the company (Jeff Brown). Debbie decides that all she needs is the ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret

На первый взгляд эта книга немного примитивная и банальная. Но в ней собраны наиболее важные принципы и основы такой сложной и обширной темы как лидерство.

Для тех кто только начинает знакомиться с данной тематикой книга станет хорошим путеводителем, а тем кто хорошо знаком с ней поможет оценить свои знания и сделать полезные выводы.
Here’s one thing I loved immediately about this book. It is business wisdom told through a story. I read a lot of books, 95% of them being non-fiction. I rarely read novels, but opening up a book by co-authors Mark Miller and Ken Blanchard provides the substance of a factual learning tool, presented with the appeal of a story we can all relate to. Meet Debbie Brewster, an executive in search of becoming a great leader. As a participant in a mentoring program Debbie quickly learns that there’s a ...more
I borrowed the following comments from an Amazon review:
This is the story of Debbie, a struggling and a failing leader, who learns the lessons of management from her Boss. Miserable with her poor performance, the character of Ken's Book, joins the Mentor Program offered by her company and incidentally, Jeff, the president of the company happens to be the trainer. She thoroughly undergoes the training sessions where she realise her mistakes. She is taught to be a 'Serving Leader' rather than a 's
Told in the form of a story, Miller and Blanchard explain the ideas behind SERVE - the acronym for the five steps that will help change you from a self-serving leader, to a serving leader. It's simple, but effective, and in essence, it's exactly what Jesus Christ exemplified during his 33 years on earth - to be great, you must first be a servant. As a long-time fan of John C. Maxwell (who also wrote the Forward for The Secret), I'm happy to be able to add a new author to my leadership shelf.
The Secret. Bukan cerita tentang pelaku tabrak lari yang dibikin rumit. Bukan, kalo itu Secret korean drama *barbie gagal fokus*.

Daripada buku motivasi, lebih tepat disebut novel motivasi. Tiap babnya adalah lanjutan cerita dari bab sebelumnya, sambung-menyambung, saling merangkai hingga menjadi sebuah cerita utuh dalam satu buku. Dipungkasi dengan ringkasan, poin-poin penting dari masing-masing judul cerita.

The Secret ini buku yang menceritakan tentang perjalanan Debbie Brewster --seorang pemim
Esto más que un libro es un panfleto informativo para leer en una hora. Es el primer libro que leo con tintes de apoyo hacia alguna posición empresarial, realmente no sabía que esperar, pero al ser un libro demasiado simple con un objetivo bien enfocado y bien empleado, ha sido entretenido.

En general es muy directo, no da rodeos y las maneras de ejercer liderazgo son muy generales, pero creo que puede crear importantes pilares en la formación de una cultura de liderazgo, y si ya se tienen las b
Sep 11, 2008 Justin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Justin by: Mark Miller (co-author)
Shelves: q12008
This book was another brick to my patch in enrolling at Grand Canyon University for my EMBA in leadership. Ken Blanchard was the executive sponsor and spent time with my Cohort (14!) at our three residencies at the Blanchard campuses in San Diego. I will always cherish my time spent at the Blanchard residence with Ken and Margie.
Ivo Stoykov
I'm quoted from Foreword because I cannot find better way to describe it:
"When I learned that Ken Blanchard and Mark Miller had collaborated on this project, I knew it
would be a winner. ... My challenge to you is simple: learn The Secret—then apply The Secret. If you do, your leadership and your life will be transformed forever!"
—John C. Maxwell
The book can be read in one sitting. The story is memorable and close to home for every individual looking to become a great leader. What I like the most about the book is how it is centered on learning the meaning of the phrase "GREAT LEADERS SERVE".

Even months after reading the book, I still remember what S.E.R.V.E stands for.

If you are looking for a step by step guide, this book is not for you. What this book accomplishes is giving you enough material in a very simple thought provoking manner
I love to study leadership: when it comes to leadership there is always something to learn and more is never enough. It wasn't my first book on the subject and it was exciting to read. The book is amazing.
The was a very easy to read book on Leadership. It talks about basic leadership principles. It is worth reading for anyone who wants to be an effective manager.
A very good overview of the SERVE model of leadership, showing an example of how this can transform a person and an organization.
Newly Bought, Should be read more than once with a pen and paper to jotter notes... it is a great book.
The Secret that great leaders know and do is that "Great leaders SERVE." Originally written a decade ago in 1994, this book by Ken Blanchard and Mark Miller presents the idea of servant leadership in an easy and quick to read package. The ideas are not new, but the book effectively packages them into a clear vision. While written for a business audience, the approach can certainly be applied in other parts of your life as well.

Read my complete review at:

Judy Bell
What an EPIC book! Totally turned my beliefs of what leadership was on its head! Wow. This is a book to read more than once. Highly recommend reading it if you are building any kind of team. The wisdom written within these pages will transform your life.
Emerson John Tiu Ng
....A self-help book for a story telling manner...
This book I mistook for the Book that Oprah highlighted. It is NOT the same. It is a good book with valuable information but not the same as the other. I have yet to read the other one still. Which I plan to still do. This book emphasies service to suceed in what ever it is you are trying to accomplish. As stated in the description found on good reads. The five ways in which leaders can succeed through service are seeing and shaping the future; engaging and developing others; reinventing continu ...more
Easy read, some good info.
Russ Skinner
Excellent read. Highly recommended. As with "The One Minute Manager" not a lot of depth, but plenty of food for thought (or in this case, screen shots).

And not exactly a long read: started it this afternoon and finished just after supper (but will be thinking about it for a while, I suspect).
Madhur Ahuja
Nice short book on leadership
Chantal Bechervaise
This book stands the test if time and is a gem in the realm of leadership books. Ken Blanchard and Mark Miller provide clear and concise information and principles that you can take and put into practice right away. This updated version with the self-assessment and FAQ have improved upon an already great book. If you take what is in this book and apply it to the way you lead, you will see a dramatic change in the way others respond to you.
Steve Schick
This is my first review on here, so be nice. :) The Secret is not your ordinary leadership book. It doesn't have lists of definitions and procedures to remember. Instead, it is written as a short story with characters. This is important because people are captivated more by characters than by lists. The authors do a great job explaining there leadership philosophy through the use of the short story.
A quick read (or listen) - lots of common sense and even inspiring in places. Leadership/Management lessons told through a (slightly contrived) fictional account of a failing leader and her growth through active mentoring. Bottom line: good leaders serve others -- think about the people around you and the mission of the organization and do whatever you can to support them.
Abbey Ables
First bought this as an audiobook. The concept in this book is easy to grasp esp that it's in a story format. I love "the secret" so I used it to set foundations and direction at work. My boss and colleagues were impressed. I ordered the actual book after listening to the audio because I want to pursue the lessons. Highly recommended for those aspiring to be great leaders.
I read this as if it were an 80s sitcom with a laugh track and everyone has horrible hair. I literally threw the book when one of the supporting characters (yes, this is entirely fictionalized) mentioned that he'd love to dine with Jesus of Nazareth.

It has good ideas but it's cheesy as hell.
I enjoyed this book very much and I think it would do well as a mandatory book to read for any business student. I will use the advise in this book for any future positions. I think this book could help anyone in any position in any type of business.
A must read and a really enjoyable read.
An easy read but full of good nuggets of advice. I like that each chapter has challenge questions (like homework) you can use to apply the lessons. Recommended reading no matter if you want to lead, are new to leading or have been in leadership for a while. We can all use these reminders.
I like that this book is short and accessable. It's written in the form of a story, which makes the book read quickly. Disclaimer - the authors are not fiction writers, so it can be awkward and cheesy at parts. But, keep with it, you'll learn a lot about leadership in not a lot of time.
I read this book in a day, it doesn't take much to go through it. Most books like this tend to be dull and boring, but this book read like a short story. It has a lot of good and thought provoking elements that are good for any level of management, as there's always room to improve.
  • Chess, Not Checkers: Elevate Your Leadership Game
  • Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • How to Become CEO: The Rules for Rising to the Top of Any Organization
  • The Secret Science: For the Physical and Spiritual Transformation of Man (Hermetic Philosophy, Book 1)
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Unusually Excellent: The Necessary Nine Skills Required for the Practice of Great Leadership
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
  • Visioneering: God's Blueprint for Developing and Maintaining Personal Vision
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...