Fill Out This Application And Wait Over There

Fill Out This Application And Wait Over There

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The 'gap' year. Hailee Moxie's 'Escape to Asia' Access account stands at $129.65. She must join the workforce. This involves getting up unnaturally early in the morning, wearing unattractive clothes and being nice to whining customers, all for very small wages. A very funny first-hand account of life at the bottom of the heap.
288 pages
Published August 2009 by Omnibus

Aiman
I've read a few weird books- I reckon this is one of them. It's pretty funny, not at all well known- a chick's lit book. I just read it someday when I was bored at my school library cos the title sounded amusing. It's a pretty funny story about a girl's part-time jobs but I'm not bothered to give it 3 stars. 2.5 tops.
Ruth Starke is from Adelaide! I had to reference her a lot in all my children's lit essays at uni and kept spelling her name 'Strake' for some reason, apparently that word brings out latent dyslexic tendencies in me.

Anyway I liked this, it was funny and realistic. I do like 'slice of life' type books that deal with everyday, ordinary little dramas instead of big unusual dramas. They're only boring if they're badly written, and this wasn't. Hailee was maybe a bit immature and clueless for an 18 y...more
Kirsti
Jan 30, 2012 Kirsti rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA fans
Recommended to Kirsti by: The Library
I'd say I'd give it a 2.5, leaning more towards the two, for a very good reason. This book is about 200 pages too long! You find yourself reading similar situations over and over, and wondering why you should care. There are snippets of really good writing, and some laugh out loud moments, but on the whole it is a bit of a drag. Hailee reads like a 12 year old at most points, and sounds like an extremely immature 17 year old. I find it hard to believe she went through year 12 and yet reminds clu...more
Our Library Mornington
Hailee Moxie has attitude, and a “gap” year! She is saving to go travelling in Asia, so all she needs is a cool job and away she goes.. But how easy is it to get a cool job – and to keep it? How can she survive the awful hours involved? How will she juggle more than one casual job at once? And how polite are the customers to shop assistants? Can Hailee really save up enough for her air fare, or will those hidden expenses erode her savings?

Find all the answers in this laugh a minute diary from so...more
Julie_ian_curtis
this book RULES. it is like a slice of my life. there are rude and crazy customers. strange and invasive job interviews. creepy and harrassing men in the meat department. chocolate- related work accidents. percent off expired food sales. customer fights over on-sale chickens. gay window dressers. chinese tourists who are afraid of clothing stores. mothers whe date organic spinach growers. its all here - and its TRUE.

if you have ever worked at a dead end 'im gonna kill someone' kinda job then thi...more
Norain MT
The writer is from Adelaide so I can easily imagine what she writes. I guess that is the main attraction for me, but it is not a bad book so even if she is from the Antarctic I will still read it.

I have always wondered if the cashiers are ever sick of saying "Hi, how are you?" to every single customers that go to the counters. Turns out, they do.
Good Golly Miss Holly
Jul 09, 2011 Good Golly Miss Holly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenagers who about to or currently are in the workforce
As I am currently in the process of applying for a few different jobs, I thought this novel would provide some humor and insight to the subject and while there is a little bit of laughter to be had with our protag testing the waters with a range of positions from Check Out Chick to Junior Journalist, it ultimately felt like something was missing.
Liz
Feb 05, 2010 Liz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, humour, ya
This fictional diary of a girl's gap year and the minimum-wage jobs she does to earn money for travelling to Thaliand is quite funny, although it's not one that's going to stick into my mind. If you like journal-entry-style diaries, complete with irony, wicked humour, and daily life, then this one's for you.
Meaghan Mallia
it was good dragged on a bit sorta still good tho read it!!!!!
Hailz
Good book. Pretty funny in some parts. Quick and easy read
Vynka Morkunas
Vynka Morkunas marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Dami Adesina
Dami Adesina marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
Shari-moon Goudis
Shari-moon Goudis marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013