Start by marking “Grandma's Gloves” as Want to Read:
Grandma's Gloves

Grandma's Gloves

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  42 reviews
A child who loses a beloved grandparent finds comfort in carrying on the activities they shared in this sweet, genuine look at a universal rite of passage.

Grandma is always on her knees in the dirt, with her gardening gloves on, talking to her roses and laughing with the birds-of-paradise. Her home brims with plants and blossoms, and on hot days, she waters her granddaught
Published August 10th 2010 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Grandma's Gloves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandma's Gloves

Sheri
Grandma's Gloves is a beautiful book which handles the subject of grief and loss of loved ones in a way that will benefit children. The story is simple yet it draws you in to find out what happens to the little girl that loves helping her Grandma in the garden. The illustrations are wonderful and light which helps since the subject matter is heavy. I would definitely recommend this books to parents and children who need help after the loss of a loved one.
Joan
Aug 04, 2010 Joan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with young children with elderly grandparents or any elderly relatives.
The story is a very touching story to help a child understand that a grandparent may die but will never leave your heart. The illustrations were beautifully done and I would recommend this book to anybody with children with an elderly grandparent. I am one of those elderly grandparents and it brought tears to my eyes.
I am giving this to my youngest granddaughter.
Hyunjee Jo
Losing someone who is really close is such a mournful moment that we may not want to get. For my country, living with grandmother is very natural and common. A lot of children are raised by grandmother due to both parents working. This book does a great job explaining how the child connects her grandmother in the beginning while explaining how sad it could be when losing someone very close. I really like how the child's mother is now there for the child instead of her grandmother at the last pag ...more
Judy
Not sure about this. Grandma's decline feels a bit rushed. (Tricky to fit things into the picture book format, I know!)

When the little girl says at the end 'You can help me to talk to the roses, scold the succulents and sing with the blackbirds,' it seems fairly clear that she is quoting Grandma, but we never heard Grandma actually say those words in the first half of the book, and that seems a pity.

Some of the illos are wonderful, with a vintage flavour and style. It's a pretty book.

It may be
Kelly
Miss Sarah
I didn't love the pictures at first but realized they really fit with the story by the end. I actually cried at the end. A little girl visits her grandmother and gardens with her and has special tea time but grandma soon gets forgetful and then goes to a hospital. She passes and family comes to empty the house but the girl can cannot forget her grandmothers garden where they had such special time. Very beautiful.
Jane G Meyer
When I was an editor, I received manuscript after manuscript with stories written for children that addressed death. The death of a loved one seems to spur much creative activity, and people feel the need to express themselves and share their stories.

There are many books already on the market for children that help them understand death. This one, Grandma's Gloves, is really very lovely. It follows all the seasons of loving the loved one, learning from her, watching her fail, having her die, th
Jackie
A lovely, gentle story about a young girl's relationship with her grandmother and the feelings that emerge when the beloved grandmother dies. Exquisitely illustrationed and compassionately told, Grandma's Gloves fills each of our senses with the memories we love best about our grandmother. In the story, the grandmother is a passionate gardener and the granddaughter loves to visit her and her garden full of roses, succulents, and birds-of-paradise.

Little-by-little, day-after-day, grandmother is
Kaylee Warzecha
Not a book a would read every day, but certainly an excellent resource for helping children deal with a death in the family. Beautiful illustrations.
Tamara
Adorable story about a girl who loses her precious grandma.
Anji
Loss is a part of life -- a particularly difficult concept to explain to children. Luckily, Cecil Castellucci does a brilliant job of it in this book. We bought it when it came out and read it-- and brought it back out recently as our book of the night when we had a loss in the family. It was perfect. *Perfect*. It's not preachy or sappy or religious or saccharine. It's honest, heartfelt, poetic and simple... Three cheers from one granddaughter of a gardening donut maker to another!!!
Ana
Tender in its dialogue, moving in the way that it addresses grief, loss, and the effects of Alzheimer's disease, Grandma's Gloves is the kind of story that leaves a very delicate yet meaningful impression on its reader. The illustrations are beautifully rendered and seem to help carry the story along, adding a sense of reality... almost as if this little girl were in the room with you, quietly telling you about her grandmother and what made her so incredibly special.
Crista Nimmerichter
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I found the story very touching. It is about a little girl that loses her grandmother. This is a children's book, to help a child understand that a grandparent may die, but is still in your heart. The illustrations were wonderful. I read this to my son the first night and he had me read it again several subsequent nights. I recommend this book to anybody that has children with older grandparents.
Cathy Blackler
Beautiful illustrations from Julia Denos compliment Castellucci's timeless tale of the circle of life. With poignant simplicity readers share an intimate relationship between a grandmother, her granddaughter, and nature. Reading this story reminded me of all of the times my own children have spent with their grandmother, for which I am ever so grateful. The gifts that are treasured and passed on from one generation to the next are truly priceless.
Cindy
Absolutely beautiful story about dealing with the death of a loved one. The author focused on the little girl's favorite garden memories with her grandmother and how she will now share the love of the garden teaching her mother all the things her grandmother taught her. What a great way to keep her grandma's memory alive! Makes me wonder if my grandma was a gardener? :-)
Ngoc  Dang
This is a very sad, but sweet book. The book talk about the death of grandmother. In our society, things are so crazy and violent are just around the corner. This can relate to some students who have dealt with this kind of pain. Teachers can ask students to share about someone they love who passed away. They can share how that person was important in their life.
Mary
Told in first person, the narrator describes how she and her aging grandmother have a special connection that includes gardening. When the grandmother dies, the girl honors the relationship by teaching her mother how to garden. A beautiful picture book that handles a thoughtful subject with loving sensitivity.
Paul  Hankins
One of my grandmother's made rhubarb that grew wild in her back yard.

Another grandmother continually raked a hillside on Greenwood Church Road in order to prepare a flower garden each year. I still see her working in her house dress, using a dirty glove to sweep a lock of shock-white hair from her face as she worked.

Beautiful spring-time read-aloud.
Lenna
This book is really sad, but touching. A young girl learns how to garden from her grandmother until her grandmother ends up in the hospital with alzheimer's. The grandmother passes away abruptly and the young girl decides to carry on gardening, teaching her mother what her grandmother taught her. It made me cry.
Tatiana
A sweet, floral tribute to a dearly departed grandmother. Cecil Castellucci captures the beauty of friendship between granddaughter and grandmother, a special bond forged in the garden and cemented at the kitchen table over tea, cookies and special secret doughnuts. Highly recommended for ages five and up.
Dana
Dec 26, 2014 Dana rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Beautiful story of love and loss, traditions living on once a loved one dies. The grandma's death was a little abrupt, but I guess it can feel like that (more than I'd like to admit), especially from a young child's perspective. Worth a purchase, best book dealing with death that I've encountered thus far.
Dolly
Aug 26, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a heartwarming tale about a close extended family and the nurturing and memories that last beyond a person's lifetime. The book deals frankly, yet sensitively with the subject of death and while sad, it depicts how we can honor a loved one's memory by keeping our love and our memories alive.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Pull out the tissues. You will cry by the end of the book I am pretty sure of it. The book is about a little girl whose grandmother passes away. The resolution and the child's coming to terms is one of the best that I have seen when dealing with this topic.
Sheri
I liked this book but it is a book about Grandma and death. It might be away to introduce the subject of death and dying to children or give to a child who has lost her grandparent. Was very moving book for elementary 4-8 year old students.
Brindi
At first glance this book was perfect for SRP, but then I read it. It's beautiful but it's about death. The illustrations are wonderful and the story is very nicely done. Perfect for a little one dealing with the loss of a grandparent.
Penny
Lovely book (and illustrations) which shows a little girl's devotion to her grandmother as grandma becomes forgetful and more remote because of alzheimer,s disease. Will be soothing for a child going through this situation.
Inspired Kathy
It's not very often a children's book brings tears to my eyes but this one did. Beautiful illustrations and simple text make this the perfect book to share with a child who is dealing with the death of a loved one.
Betsy
Another sad but sweet read. This book does a good job of broaching the subject of Alzheimer's/Dementia with young children. THe beautiful illustrations add to the nostalgia of the story.
Lisbeth Solberg
Wonderful, wonderful illustrations. The bright cover belies the sad subject matter. I bought this at a Children's Literature Council Gala I attended with my book-loving friend Karen Ewen.
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • The Junkyard Wonders
  • Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World
  • Visiting Day
  • The Scar
  • Elsie's Bird
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • Yucky Worms
  • Sister Anne's Hands
  • Animal House
  • The Fabulous Bouncing Chowder
  • Kindergarten Diary
Cecil Castellucci is an author of young adult novels and comic books. Titles include Boy Proof, The Year of the Beasts (illustrated by Nate Powell), First Day on Earth, Rose Sees Red, Beige, The Queen of Cool The Plain Janes and Janes in Love (illustrated by Jim Rugg), Tin Star and Odd Duck (illustrated by Sara Varon).

Her short stories have been published in various places including Black Clock,
More about Cecil Castellucci...
The Plain Janes (Janes, #1) Odd Duck Boy Proof Janes in Love (Janes, #2) Beige