Start by marking “Rough Trails (Star Trek #91)” as Want to Read:
Rough Trails (Star Trek #91)

Rough Trails (Star Trek: New Earth #3)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Captain Kirk's latest voyage has brought him far into the final frontier. His new mission: to help a determined band of pioneers colonize a harsh and unforgiving world, defend the vulnerable settlers from the constant threat of alien invasion, and protect the planet's unique and precious resources for the sake of the entire Federation!
Rough Trails
Months after their depa
Published July 1st 2000 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rough Trails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rough Trails

I don't know how I feel about it, it wasnt good but wasnt bad either. It was nice to have a change in the way that most Star Trek novels are approached and seeing through the perpectives of Sulu, Chevkov, and Uhura. But I couldnt help but feel that it would have been best as a subplot, and my focus kept drifting to other things which is very rare with books related to the Original Series. I hope the next installment in the series will be more engaging.
Mark Helliar
Rough Trails was a rough book to read. The story follows Sulu, Chekov and Uhura on the planet. Sulu was basically a pilot 'about to die' throughout the book. Uhura, in her communications officer hat, was working on a way to communicate with the homesteads throughout the book (which of coarse never worked when it was needed) and was "about to die' a number of times. Chekov was simply 'about to die' all the time either by shuttle wreck, or drowning, or gun shot, or radiation sickness, or exposure, ...more
In this book, some of the main crew of the Enterprise's bridge are sent to help the locals on Belle Terre, after the planet was ravaged by fallout from an unstable moon ("The Burn").

There is quite a big gap, idea-wise, between the second book and this one. Suddenly Belle Terre has become a living hell - colonists are living in fear and violence, the planet isn't being much kinder, and we still don't have any particularly good explanation for it other than "the Burn did it".

Personally I thought t
Benjamin Plume
I honestly expected more from this installment. Once the intrigue really got going at the end, it turned out to be pretty good, but I was really hoping more would happen. Kind of a departure from any of the outside influences and all about the colony itself. Perhaps an important step in the whole picture, but I'd rather have had the internal problems as a B story in all the books than separated out into a single volume.
Chris McCown
Good lord this was a hard book to read. However, I rated it four stars because of the job it does painting a picture of the world the characters are in. The details seem boring, but it's not until you read the next book that you realize how real this one felt. And if you stick with it, the climax is pretty good.
If this book was an independent story it would be decent, but as a 3rd book in the New Earth series, it was mediocre at best. The plot contradicts many elements established by book 2 (Belle Terre), which indicates the author was given only a rough outline of the previous book to use when writing.
Jason Liberg
Jason Liberg marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Nat marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Pamela Holloway
Pamela Holloway marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Matthew Schrick
Matthew Schrick marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Greg DeLong
Greg DeLong marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Frank marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
William Evans
William Evans is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2015
Roger added it
Aug 29, 2015
Johnny marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Allison marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
David added it
Aug 02, 2015
  • Belle Terre (Star Trek: New Earth, #2)
  • The Flaming Arrow (Star Trek: New Earth, #4)
  • Thin Air (Star Trek: New Earth, #5)
  • Wagon Train to the Stars (Star Trek: New Earth, #1)
  • Mind Meld
  • Enterprise (Star Trek: My Brother's Keeper, #3)
  • Across the Universe
  • The Fearful Summons
  • The Joy Machine
  • Death's Angel (Star Trek Adventures, #15)
  • The Trellisane Confrontation
  • Swordhunt (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #3)
  • Crossroad
  • The Better Man
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Serpents Among the Ruins (Star Trek: The Lost Era, 2311)
L.A. Graf reportedly stands for Let's All Get Rich and Famous. Its a pseudonym used by authors Karen Rose Cercone and Julia Ecklar.

They have co-written some eleven Star Trek novels. Their first Star Trek novel came out in 1990.
More about L.A. Graf...

Star Trek: New Earth (6 books)
  • Wagon Train to the Stars (Star Trek: New Earth, #1)
  • Belle Terre (Star Trek: New Earth, #2)
  • The Flaming Arrow (Star Trek: New Earth, #4)
  • Thin Air (Star Trek: New Earth, #5)
  • Challenger (Star Trek: New Earth #6)