Start by marking “Rough Trails (Star Trek #91)” as Want to Read:
Rough Trails (Star Trek #91)

Rough Trails (Star Trek: New Earth #3)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Captain Kirk's latest voyage has brought him far into the final frontier. His new mission: to help a determined band of pioneers colonize a harsh and unforgiving world, defend the vulnerable settlers from the constant threat of alien invasion, and protect the planet's unique and precious resources for the sake of the entire Federation!

Rough Trails

Months after their dep

Published June 26th 2000 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rough Trails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rough Trails

Jess
In this book, some of the main crew of the Enterprise's bridge are sent to help the locals on Belle Terre, after the planet was ravaged by fallout from an unstable moon ("The Burn").

There is quite a big gap, idea-wise, between the second book and this one. Suddenly Belle Terre has become a living hell - colonists are living in fear and violence, the planet isn't being much kinder, and we still don't have any particularly good explanation for it other than "the Burn did it".

Personally I thought t
Kim
I don't know how I feel about it, it wasnt good but wasnt bad either. It was nice to have a change in the way that most Star Trek novels are approached and seeing through the perpectives of Sulu, Chevkov, and Uhura. But I couldnt help but feel that it would have been best as a subplot, and my focus kept drifting to other things which is very rare with books related to the Original Series. I hope the next installment in the series will be more engaging.
Benjamin Plume
I honestly expected more from this installment. Once the intrigue really got going at the end, it turned out to be pretty good, but I was really hoping more would happen. Kind of a departure from any of the outside influences and all about the colony itself. Perhaps an important step in the whole picture, but I'd rather have had the internal problems as a B story in all the books than separated out into a single volume.
Chris McCown
Good lord this was a hard book to read. However, I rated it four stars because of the job it does painting a picture of the world the characters are in. The details seem boring, but it's not until you read the next book that you realize how real this one felt. And if you stick with it, the climax is pretty good.
Kreg
If this book was an independent story it would be decent, but as a 3rd book in the New Earth series, it was mediocre at best. The plot contradicts many elements established by book 2 (Belle Terre), which indicates the author was given only a rough outline of the previous book to use when writing.
Amanda Wulf
Amanda Wulf marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Leslie S
Leslie S marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Jennifer Phillips
Jennifer Phillips marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Jesse Athey
Jesse Athey marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Cyberiouse
Cyberiouse marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Steven Tomkins
Steven Tomkins marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
George
George marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Greg Sorell
Greg Sorell marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Mar 30, 2015
Caprice Procarione
Caprice Procarione marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
  • Belle Terre (Star Trek: New Earth, #2)
  • The Flaming Arrow (Star Trek: New Earth, #4)
  • Thin Air (Star Trek: New Earth, #5)
  • Wagon Train to the Stars (Star Trek: New Earth, #1)
  • Constitution (Star Trek: My Brother's Keeper, #2)
  • Across the Universe
  • The Joy Machine
  • The Fearful Summons
  • Mind Meld
  • Swordhunt (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #3)
  • Crossroad
  • Death's Angel (Star Trek Adventures, #15)
  • The Trellisane Confrontation
  • Rules of Engagement
  • Assignment: Eternity
L.A. Graf reportedly stands for Let's All Get Rich and Famous. Its a pseudonym used by authors Karen Rose Cercone and Julia Ecklar.

They have co-written some eleven Star Trek novels. Their first Star Trek novel came out in 1990.
More about L.A. Graf...

Star Trek: New Earth (6 books)
  • Wagon Train to the Stars (Star Trek: New Earth, #1)
  • Belle Terre (Star Trek: New Earth, #2)
  • The Flaming Arrow (Star Trek: New Earth, #4)
  • Thin Air (Star Trek: New Earth, #5)
  • Challenger (Star Trek: New Earth #6)
Caretaker (Star Trek Voyager, #1) Time's Enemy (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, #16) Ice Trap Death Count Traitor Winds (Star Trek: The Lost Years, #3)