Start by marking “Highland Velvet” as Want to Read:
Highland Velvet

Highland Velvet (Velvet Montgomery Annuals Quadrilogy #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  10,532 Ratings  ·  181 Reviews
Jude Deveraux steps back to a time and place where revenge and rivalry rule men's hearts—and love conquers all—in this wonderful Montgomery novel.

Bronwyn MacArran was a proud Scot. Stephen Montgomery was one of the hated English.

He came to Scotland as a conqueror, saw her beauty and was vanquished. But still she would abhor him.
She owned a temper hot enough to forge the a
Published August 27th 2003 by Pocket Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Velvet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Velvet

Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
4 stars!!

description

I enjoyed book 2 in the Velvet saga a lot more than the first one – likable English alpha male hero, feisty yet vulnerable Scottish heroine, and an engaging, attention-grabbing story set in the beautiful Highlands. This one’s a winner for me!

description

This book picks up where we last saw Stephen in book 1 – after making sure his sister-in-law Judith is okay he’s now three days late to his wedding to Bronwyn, a proud and stubborn Scottish lass who’s the head of her clan. They literally come to bl
Yen-Tzu
Aug 18, 2015 Yen-Tzu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a quarter of this book and I shall go no further. Let me count all the craptastic reasons why:

1. The heroine is the laird of her Scottish clan. In a brilliant bid to improve cross-border relations, King Henry of England has kidnapped the heroine and is forcing her to marry one of his subjects. We might debate the effectiveness of sanctions, but there's no doubt that the art of diplomacy has definitely improved over the years.

2. So our heroine (who's the Medieval version of Princess Di
Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince
Forced into marriage to the English nobleman Stephen Montgomery, Scotswoman Brenna MacArran, the leader of her clan, vows to make his life miserable.

While many of Deveraux's heroes in the Velvet Series had their bad moments, particularly Gavin, and to a lesser extent Miles and Raine, in "Highland Velvet" Stephen Montgomery was the stuff girlish dreams are made of.

Stephen was kind and loving to his sister-in-law, Judith, always taking her side whenever Gavin preferred his evil mistress. He staye
KatieV
Overall, I liked this one better than the first book: The Velvet Promise. There were times, particularly in the 1st half of the book where I would have liked to have slapped Bronwyn. She was just so immature. She was 'almost twenty' when the book began, but I think this is one of those cases where the author should have made her younger. I'll have to admit to finding it a bit squicky when you have an older hero and someone younger than the modern 'age of consent' in a historical, even though I k ...more
Violet90
Mar 11, 2012 Violet90 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like this one since it was so long and the heroine got on my nerve so much. I just wanted to slap her all through the novel. She complained a lot and wanted Stephan to become something he was not even though the poor man tried she still didn't like him and always insulted him which made me wonder how a guy like Stephan can love such an annoying and selfish women. Okay I get she loved her clan so what everyone loves their people but do you have to insult every single Englishman an ...more
Joy
Feb 13, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Johanie
After having read the disappointing “The Velvet Promise”, I was still intrigued with Stephen's story and his Scottish bride who's laird of the MacArran clan. I've always been fond of characters from the Highlands, their traits, mannerisms, expressions, and their burr. I noticed he and Gavin assumed the worst looks of their brides and was astounded to see their real faces, in a way it's stupid but it's best to expect the worst and hope for the best.

In this story, the conflict couldn't be more obv
Pton
May 07, 2010 Pton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really a 3 but I am giving the extra star to Stephen. I liked him as a hero and he's less annoying than his brother, Gavin. However, Browyn is not as great a heroine as Judith. She just seriously annoyed the heck out of me. She started out as an annoying Gavin who easily believed someone else and then she was just angry and dramatic and just stupid at times. I really disliked her for 3/4s of the book. At the ends, she started redeeming herself. I thought the ending was a bit odd sin ...more
Chelsea Holder
Warning... since this book is part of the Velvet Series, spoilers from book one (The Velvet Promise) was mentioned here.

It was okay, just not what I was expecting.....

The story started out great, I love how Stephen and Bronwyn met. I also love their banter, but somehow along the way, it was starting to piss me off, especially the heroine.

After reading book 1, my opinion of Stephen is somewhat like Gavin since he is a warrior. I expect him to be an insensitive jerk and all but it turns out tha
Holly
Sep 12, 2016 Holly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 34%. This has to be one of the most unlikable heroines I have ever read. She complains endlessly about her husband being her enemy because he's English and not Scottish. Then when he tries to learn Scottish ways, she is all I WILL NOT BE FOOLED, I MUST BE ON GUARD BECAUSE HE IS STILL ENGLISH. There's quite literally nothing he could do to make her happy. She's irritating as fuck.

The hero is just as bad - this book was written in the 1980s and you can definitely tell even though it's a hist
Goddess Of Blah
Oct 15, 2010 Goddess Of Blah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loath series, but this particularly book from the series was excellent.

Stephen (as most reviewers have mentioned) is an excellent hero. He's very different from his rich, overly “lordly” dark haired older brother (who epitomises the cliched romantic hero). There's something more to him and that's what makes the book so great.

Bronwyn could be overly dramatic at times which was an annoyance, but one can appreciate her strengths. The other heroine was a sap (Judith) who allowed her husband to tre
Splage
Late for his own wedding by 4 days, not a way to impress a bride that despises you already and has never met you. Especially Bronwyn who is named head of her clan after her father is killed by the hated English- and yes Stephen Montgomery, the groom, is English as well-- another strike. Another great book in the Montgomery series with many twist and turns, ups and downs and great make up sex since the H/h were always fighting.

I really didn't like the heroine at the beginning of the book, she wa

laurenpie
Sep 22, 2013 laurenpie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-past
My first-ever romance novel.

Truly enjoyed this one when I was young, early 20's.

My tastes have changed so much through the years--who knows what I'd think if I read this series now. Another consideration is that, at the time, I hadn't much experience in reading any contemporary novels at all, of any genre, so I didn't really have a good basis for comparison in assigning value to them. But, that all said, I do remember absolutely loving Highland Velvet back then, so much so that I re-read it a
Kristine
Jenny
note to self: avoid due to heroine
Melanie
Although I didn't like this one as much as Velvet Promis, I did enjoy Stephen and Bronwyn's story: she kind of grated on my nerves, never believing him, and at the end, I was pissed off with Stephen, who acted like an utter ass... I didn't really see the point in her captivity at the end, but it might have been to build a storyline for the next two books..
All in all, it was diverting, and I loved the fact that she wasn't some meek apathetic heroine:-)
Rebecca McNutt
I usually avoid romance novels, but the characters and setting of this one caught my attention and it does have some good chapters about loyalty and trust.
Gardavson
Mar 13, 2009 Gardavson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. All in all a good series. Bronwyn is a tad stronger than I generally like my heroines but I liked her and she was a good match for Stephen. Stephen makes a great hero.
Rahma MJ
May 10, 2015 Rahma MJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1 star for Stephen I loved him. But I'm very disappointed this is by far the most annoying and least mature heroine I have ever read. I really wwanted to finish the book but I couldn't.
Perry ★TBBSisterhood Blog★
Epic BR with my girl Feifei
Mrs  Truthandnothingbut
I disliked the h.
Vallsykes
Jude Deveraux is an old time favorite. Her heroes are usually just edgy enough to be considered medieval a**holes, but they more than likely redeem themselves, and her heroines have spunk, even when they sometimes can go either way: too submissive or too OTT.

In this story, Bronwyn, the heroine was kind of OTT and TSTL. Despite this, I somehow ended up liking about 85% of the story because it had some action and didn't feel too slow in pace. Plus, I liked the hero most of the time. However, Bronw
Valentina
Jan 03, 2017 Valentina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a New Year's gift from a sister, and it served its purpose. It's a very readable romance novel, set in Scotland, a bit earlier than the other romance books I've read on my latest, on-going spree (in the time of Henry VII, if I'm not wrong). The Scottish/English relationship has been very intriguing to me ever since I first read A Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught, which deals with a topic similar to the one in Highland Velvet.

I assume this would have been even more enjoyable if the
Sharon Eikenberry-Deary
When one is told by the king you have to marry a man you don't know it is hard, but when he tells you is for your country you other thoughts. When you are stood up at the alter and no message of why the groom is not there does not constituate a firm foundation for a marriage. Especially if it one you don't want but being pushed and then to top it off it is to Englishman, when you are a Scot. Through trails and tribulations an even ground is found. Where realizing sometimes we have to look at the ...more
KC
Read this years ago. Bronwyn annoyed me with her immaturity and unfair treatment of Stephen. It wouldn't have been so bad if Bronwyn had actually grown by the novel's end, but I don't remember that happening.

On the other hand, I had a crush on the delicious Stephen. Be my book boyfriend, please? I loved how he could be brave and kind, yet also a be a fierce warrior. What's more, his love for and patience with Bronwyn never seemed to waver despite her antics. The best Montgomery brother in the se
Janja
Dec 16, 2016 Janja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story but i hated Bronwy..she was a real pain in the a..... ,and for me she's the one who ruins all the fun.
AmelieD
Nov 23, 2016 AmelieD rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action, romance, colorful characters - an enjoyable read.
Margaret
Jan 03, 2017 Margaret rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. I just could not get into the characters. Deveraux's books are usually among my favorites.
Winnie
Nov 20, 2016 Winnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The heroine is a whinny dump prideful stupid girl.
Amy
Sep 16, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elise Wilson
This is my first book by Jude Devereaux. I purchased it because it received such great reviews, but I'm sorry to say that I'm in the minority since I disagree. First, let me state that the author is a good writer. I even liked the plot, where a woman is portrayed as laird, rather than a man. I was looking forward to reading how a woman during that time overcame the many obstacles inherent in assuming such a position -- and yet managed to capture love at the same time.

This proved to be annoying r
  • Defy Not the Heart (Shefford's Knights, #1)
  • The Conqueror (deWarenne Dynasty, #1)
  • Gentle Warrior
  • Lord of Hawkfell Island (Viking, #2)
  • The Warlord (Montagues, #1)
  • Moonstruck Madness (Dominick, #1)
  • The Dragon Lord
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...

Velvet Montgomery Annuals Quadrilogy (4 books)
  • The Velvet Promise