Start by marking “When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West, #3)” as Want to Read:
When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West, #3)

When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,353 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Elizabeth Delancy and her husband, Wynn, a mountie, must rely on their faith to see them through hardships, when Wynn is sent to a new posting.
Published April 1st 1986 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about When Breaks the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Breaks the Dawn

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
What's on my bookshelves
421st out of 513 books — 17 voters
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardPerfume by Patrick SüskindLove in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezThe Cider House Rules by John Irving
Best Books of 1985
74th out of 139 books — 100 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“After surviving a harsh first year in the far north, Elizabeth Delaney and her Royal Canadian Mountie husband, Wynn, are settling into the small community of Beaver Creek. Elizabeth is once more teaching school, and they seem to be gradually making a place for themselves among the Indians. And then the news arrives...”

Series: Book #3 of the “Canadian West” series. (Book #1 review Here! and Book #2 review Here!) {There is a movie based on the first book of this series with the sa
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When Breaks the Dawn is the third novel in Janette Oke's Canadian West series. I found that this book was much improved over the second in the series and just as good as the first.

This installment starts out exactly where the second book left it, at the trader's and his wife's return to the settlement with much needed supplies. Unlike the other books however, this one covers several years instead of just one year.

Elizabeth has largely adjusted to living life in the frigid North and with her frie
Christina
Apr 11, 2016 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part three of the Canadian West series gives us a deeper look at Elizabeth's new life in the North. By now she has established friendships, attempted to start a school for the settlement children, and has generally settled in.

As with the first two books, the emotion is very honest and raw, especially when Elizabeth begins longing for a child.

Unlike the others in the series, this books spans over several years. There were still detailed accounts of the important events in the settlement and Eli
Alexis Villery
I used to read Janette Oke a lot when I was younger so I decided to pick up this book in a moment of nostalgia. In a nutshell, this book is about the trial and tribulations of Elizabeth and Wynn while they endure the hardships of the rugged west.

You don't have to have read the first two books in the series but it might be helpful. Some characters are mentioned in passing that will be unfamiliar if you haven't read the previous two books but it doesn't affect the present storyline much. Some boo
Annalisa
Apr 26, 2009 Annalisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Digging deeper into the Northern Canadian Mounties' wife experience, Janette Oke expands on the When Calls the Heart series (a.k.a The Canadian West series), exploring day to day life as our young couple settles in their new home, becoming accustomed to the rural hardships and realities. This story returns to Elizabeth's teaching roots, and addresses infertility in one of the most honest and unabashed portrayals I've seen in fiction. Here there is no sugarcoating the heartache, worry, and deep g ...more
Gale
Nov 28, 2014 Gale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Birth of a Frontier Wife”

In this 3rd book of the Schoolteacher Meets Mountie quartet
Elizabeth and Wynn are firmly established in the little Indian village in the Canadian northwest. Kip, their silver-furred husky, comes into his own. With the return of Spring the long-awaited supply train arrives so the villagers do not starve and the men can rebuild the burned-out trading post. Nimmie, Elizabeth’s dear Indian girlfriend, urges her to take up her dream to establish a school for the Native
Natalie
Apr 09, 2016 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first one but the second book in this series fell flat for me because there was no real courtship between the two main characters - it just sort of happened.

The third book basically details Elizabeth's longing for a child. Now granted I know that this series is set in an earlier time period, but I would still like to see some female empowerment. She mopes a LOT, saying things like "God had blessed so many women with babies, but not me" or "I needed a child to make my life complete" o
Allan67
This is another book that I have just finished reading to the wife. It is a continuation of the second book and takes up when the people of the settlement meet the supply wagon train in the Spring. I think that without reading the first two books of this series, we would have missed much. Much of the book focuses on Elizabeth and Wynn's inability to have children, their taking in what would now be called foster children and the emotions of giving up the children that have become a part of their ...more
Kristilyn
And again this book takes off where the last one ended – perfect since I dove right into it (I didn’t do the same with the fourth book, so hopefully I can still get into that one!). I felt like this book struggled from being in the middle of a series. It dealt more with the personal struggles of Wynn and Elizabeth and not too much else.

Elizabeth has finally started to feel at home, she’s started teaching again, she’s made some friends, but the idea of family is what’s starting to bug her, especi
Jessica
I enjoyed this third book of the Canadian West series. I will say that the content and writing is built for an older audience. Not that there was anything inappropriate within the pages. From the little I've read, Oke seems to write clean books. But it struck me while reading that many of the struggles Elizabeth and Wynn face are marital and adult life related. For instance, the desire that the couple shares of having a child or the daily, difficult grind of living in the wilderness.

This book se
Becky
When Breaks the Dawn continues right where When Comes The Spring leaves off. In When Comes The Spring, the community is desperate but resourceful after a horrible fire destroys the village's supply store. Without these resources to see them through, the whole community is at risk. Alone these families and individuals have little chance, but, working together, well, they might just survive: not that it will be easy, but still, there's hope. When Breaks the Dawn begins with the arrival of the supp ...more
Telisha
Sep 08, 2015 Telisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Hilary
Now settled in the remote village with her Mountie husband, Elizabeth's life is still full of changes. Her friends need help, she wants to start a school, and she desperately wants to start a family. The emotional turmoil and pain some of these cause may hit close to home for some, but the author doesn't dwell on sadness for too long - and Elizabeth's faith in God always brings hope.
Kristi
At this point i find Elizabeth's barrenness to be a bit unbelievable. i love Kip and feel for her on Susie and Samuel but she is healthier than the native women and that she hasn't at least miscarried seems odd. The years seem to fly by and Elizabeth finds wilderness life suits her, she isn't ill or infirm, it seems to only serve to provide angst.
Terri
May 31, 2016 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Elizabeth and Wynn help the settlement rebuild the trading post, Elizabeth starts a school, and Elizabeth struggles because she isn't able to have any children. She takes in two different children, but both are taken back by their families which cause her additional heartbreak. In the end, Wynn is sent to another posting and Elizabeth has come to terms with being childless.
Cricket
Jul 19, 2016 Cricket rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Another good book in this series. Elizabeth and Wynn story continues in North Canada. The trials of livelihood that far north is interesting and difficult. How they deal with weather, sickness, and the fact of no children. Truly enjoyed this series and now onward to book 4.
Beverly
Mar 27, 2014 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a really good story about life in the Canadian northwest in 1910. Author describes their lives in great detail. Because of the TV, I visualize the characters I have come to know from the TV series. Have gotten into this series and am enjoying the characters. Looking forward to the next book.
AJ
Feb 22, 2014 AJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abby
Mar 20, 2014 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WIIA: Struggling Elizabeth makes her way through while being saddened by the fact that she may never have children. She also helps a lot of children.

Pros: This was sweet, full of hardships but real like.

Cons: Sad. I cried.

Iffy: She really wants a baby but she can't conceive.
Catherine
I have enjoyed this series, however, I have been disappointed about some things that have happened. I also am not always sure that I love Elizabeth's character. I think she seems like she doesn't know what she wants half the time. She never seems to be fully satisfied.
Theresa Pollard
Oct 07, 2015 Theresa Pollard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you really liked the first book, but thought the second was only okay...hold on! because this one is better! I liked it almost as much as the first! In this book, Elizabeth adapts to the northern pioneer life and becomes the strong woman that we knew she could be.
Ngdecker
Mar 12, 2014 Ngdecker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Once again, I really enjoyed this book - the 3rd in the series. Because we had a difficult time having children, I could really relate to Elizabeth's heartache and disappointment. I am looking forward to book #4.
Dana
Jun 14, 2016 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely my favorite style book. I loved it. I gave it a 4 because I felt like the seasons/years passed too quickly. When we had just talked about one winter, for example, she moved very quickly to the next winter and a few times I was confused.
Claudia Bianco
Reread again. These are a little more boring then I remember....but still interesting at the same time:) I think I'll continue with the series cause I don't really remember what happens and they're short and quick reads:)
Bookwoman67
Solid entry. I just can't help comparing it to Mrs. Mike, one of my all time favorites.
Weezie
Feb 08, 2016 Weezie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, 2016
This covers 3 years in a very quick amount of time. Still a good story, just prepare yourself for an onslaught of 'motherhood is the end all be all' and 'I'm not complete without a child'. Ugh.
Jeannette Tomko
Apr 03, 2014 Jeannette Tomko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Canadian West book 3

Anyone who likes Janette Woke books will love this series. The book draws you in and you do not want to put it down. Can't wait to start the next book!
Sandra Caraway
wonderful story by Janette Oak

Felt.that this book had beautiful story about how the White people and the Indians were able to live together in harmony
Shayna Dobbins
Jan 05, 2016 Shayna Dobbins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series!

I have been reading this series all week. Every two days or so I finish a book and I immediately buy the next one. I'm hooked!
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Dec 17, 2014 04:06PM
  • A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #4)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)
  • The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)
  • The Dixie Widow: 1862 (The House of Winslow)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Canadian West (6 books)
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • When Comes the Spring (Canadian West #2)
  • When Hope Springs New (Canadian West #4)
  • Beyond the Gathering Storm (Canadian West #5)
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)