The Leper's Bell (Sister Fidelma, #14)

The Leper's Bell (Sister Fidelma #14)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In November of 667 A.D., Fidelma of Cashel has returned home to her brother's castle to discover that a servant, her son's nurse, has been found brutally murdered in the woods near town, and her son is missing, presumed kidnapped or worse. Sister Fidelma, sister to king of Muman in Ireland, an advocate of the Brehon courts, and a religieuse of the Celtic Church, and her h
Published October 17th 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 1999)

Adrienne
A mystery story set in medieval Ireland and featuring a lawyer/sleuth noblewoman, Peter Tremayne's The Leper's Bell is a fascinating and satisfying novel.

I enjoyed the setting very much, especially Tremayne's use of actual Irish terms to describe things (he defines them in the text, too) which helped to make the setting more vivid. I did have a difficult time keeping some of the minor characters straight, with all of the unfamiliar Irish names. This is, however, a minor quibble.

Lady Fidelma, th...more
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2009 Rebecca rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: mom
Shelves: mysteries, series
While the Sister Fidelma series does not have to be read in series order, I do recommend it. I clearly skipped some major biographical details between Leper's Bell and the last one I read, and it detached me from the main character more than if this has been my first Sister Fidelma book.
I'd also recommend ignoring the list of "Principal Characters" that prefaces the book, unless you want some clues very early on in the story. That said, Tremayne is masterful enough to throw a curve ball just wh...more
Denise
A mother's worst nightmare...her baby is abducted. Sister Fidelma's success as an advocate of the law has left some people angry. Is this abduction of her son an act of revenge? A political attack on the ruling family (of which Fidelma is a part)? The baby's wet nurse was murdered while the baby was in her care. Was it merely a personal grudge against her. If so, where is the baby?

I've read all of the Sister Fidelma books (in order) and love the tight plots that the author builds. Many of the st...more
Sunsy
Nach Zählung der Histo-Couch ist dies Band 13 (der Band mit Kurzgeschichten wird hier nicht zu der Roman-Reihe gezählt).

Wieder einmal ein Buch, das von Anfang an mit atemloser Spannung vom Schlafen abgehalten hat. Unser Ermittler-Duo in Bestform. Hier gibt es mal nichts zu meckern, und so gebe ich 10/10 Punkte.

Meine Meinung könnt ihr hier nachlesen: http://sunsys-blog.blogspot.de/2014/0... .
Lauren
Just read this over the week after a long break from the series and was well-rewarded. Filled with action and red herrings, we also get to know more about Fidelma's inner feelings about her life. Fidelma is allowed to be a strong woman who also doubts herself, is a mother, has a vocation she loves, and is able to transcend barriers in the 7th century. I've long since gotten over being intimidated by the Celtic pronunciations in the book and just enjoy the evocation of the dark age setting. This...more
Patricia
Well, I could pick out the culprit because evidently anyone who is described as arrogant is the kiler. Otherwise, I loved the story. I was SO pleased that Eadulf finally stood up to and became angry with Fidelma that I read the page twice through in celebration. I was also happy that the author chose to have Eadulf do something independently and get it right. I was even championing that if the baby were found that Eadulf take him and leave, so aggravated had I become with Fidelma and her moods a...more
Carmen
Sister Fidelma and her husband experience every parent's nightmare. Their son has been kidnapped. But no one seems to know how or why. The wet nurse in charge of him was killed, but also no clues are there.

Somehow they unravel all the threads and find their son. He was well cared for and loved, a substitute for someone's baby who had died.

A new character is introduced, will have to see if he is in future books.
Melissa
The Leper's Bell is packed full of historical content, showing the author's expertise on the subject. However, the characters are very two-dimensional and scenes often seem contrived merely as an excuse to inject historic information. The Leper's Bell is a fine read for enthusiasts of Irish history. However, I found the story difficult to engage in and the characters uninteresting.
Allison
I read this for my book group. I enjoyed it, but I really wish Tremayne's books were available on audio. I kept stumbling over all the names of people and places and that distracted me from concentrating on the story. Tremayne has done an incredible amount of research on the time period and it shows in his writing. Fidelma is a strong female character. The plot had several twists.
Nate
the challenge with this book is to understand the language and the culture of the 17th century Irish. there are lots of places and names that you need to remember. but if you've watched a lot of CSI, this would be an easy one to decode. :)
Beverly
I'm not sure why I finished this book--and began the next in the series. The author is pedantic and repititive, and the mystery is thin. However, the culture of 7th century Ireland fascinates me. What can I say?
Donna
Marisa
This is a very face paced novel. It is about the sister to a king and her husband (who is a foreigner) and their son who gets kidnapped and his wet nurse is killed.
Lindsey
The Sister Fidelma series satisfies my love of mysteries and history. At times, this novel was a little slow but I plowed through and am glad I did.
Carole Moran
Sister Fidelma novels are good reads for those who love history and especially the early history of Ireland and/or the church in the British Isles.
Tapley
Jan 26, 2010 Tapley marked it as partially-read
Started when I borrowed from Mom, didn't finish on the trip, so left it in NH - beginning was fine, might pick it up some other time.
berthenia
Sep 24, 2007 berthenia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: series lovers
A bit pedantic, but all in all a good read with lots of historical detail. I'm definitely going for the rest of the series.
Zym
I could never have thought someone could describe such a factually accurate picture of old Celtic lifestyle
Beth
Multiple mysteries entwine to keep you guessing. There is also the very human element of a troubled marriage.
Ann
I love this series - they are equally a entertaining as the Cadfael series by Ellis Peters.
Barbara
Another engaging Fidelma mystery that doesn't fail to engage the reader.
Merima Smajic
Great story this one. Eadulf of seaxmund ham you're the man. Also gormán.
Ann
Oct 13, 2011 Ann added it
A good escape read- ancient Ireland and mystery. A good combination.
Marilyn
I read one and one half pages. background drabness.
Teresa
This series seems to get off to a slow start but worth it.
Review soon @ thefaeryromanticlibrarian.blogspot.com
Mary Devlin
I enjoyed it very much. Definitely worth reading.
Jeanne
The baby is kidnapped. A personal mystery
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • The Widow's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #14)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)
  • The Summer of the Danes (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #18)
  • My Lady Judge (Burren Mysteries, #1)
Peter Berresford Ellis (born 10 March 1943) is a historian, literary biographer, and novelist who has published over 90 books to date either under his own name or his pseudonyms Peter Tremayne and Peter MacAlan. He has also published 95 short stories. His non-fiction books, articles and academic papers have made him acknowledged as an authority on Celtic history and culture. Under Peter Tremayne,...more
More about Peter Tremayne...
Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma, #1) Shroud for the Archbishop (Sister Fidelma, #2) The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4) Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3) Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)