Start by marking “Great Grammar Book” as Want to Read:
Great Grammar Book

Great Grammar Book

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Book by Marsha Sramek
Published January 28th 2009 by Ingram (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Great Grammar Book, please sign up.

Marsha Sramek There are two separate versions of this book. The current edition of the book with the answer key is ISBN 978-0-9841157-0-9. The ISBN for the new…moreThere are two separate versions of this book. The current edition of the book with the answer key is ISBN 978-0-9841157-0-9. The ISBN for the new second edition with the answer key is ISBN 978-0-9841157-2-3.
Sometimes sellers on Amazon say they are selling ISBN 978-0-9841157-0-9, when it really isn't that edition. Sorry about these sellers, but I have no control over them and get no money from them either(less)
The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr.On Writing by Stephen KingMFA in a Box by John RemberBird by Bird by Anne LamottThe Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
Best Books For Writers
41st out of 61 books — 51 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Notebook by Nicholas SparksOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotBook of a Thousand Days by Shannon HaleThe Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
Books With 'Book' In The Title
230th out of 392 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda B

The Great Grammar Book is an essential tool for students and writers. The book begins with a one-hundred question diagnostic test to allow the reader to assess their strengths and weaknesses. It is written in traditional text book style with brief explanations of the rules, followed by an exercise to put what is learned into practice. I thought the chapter on Successful Writing Strategies to be especially helpful. My only criticism is with the way it is advertised as entertaining. Some of the se
Marjorie
Given To Me For An Honest Review

The Great Grammar Book by Marsha Sramek is a book that is a must have for everyone. This book helps everyone with their grammar and writing. In the beginning of the book is a diagnostic test. This test shows you where you may need help. Following that come twelve chapters with exercises and chapter reviews which take you through the chapter high points. In the back of the book you will find the answer keys and the topic index. This is a great reference book. It he
Mary Gene
I wish I had had this book when I taught in the South Carolina Department of Corrections. In 11 years of teaching and working with inmate students, I endeavored to supplement the text we used in GED English with interesting and creative ways to present materialto overcome conditioned resistance to learning that characterized the attitudes of many of my students. A long sentence just to point out that had this book been available, I would not have had to work so hard.
The author has filled her tex
Jenn S.
I have a nice collection of grammar and writing books and I'm working on a Bachelor's Degree in English and Literature so this book was right up my alley. I was cautious when I started looking through it as there are so many terrible books out there trying to teach grammar. This is a great way to get those various grammar rules and understanding into your brain. I love the worksheets to help reinforce what you are trying to learn. It's easy enough to make copies of the worksheets so you can prac ...more
Victoria Brinius
I took Latin in school and I loved how it helped me with grammar. I also love the way this book is formatted. It is easy to follow, helpful and includes ways to strengthen your skills. There are tests and exercises and so much more. The usage glossary itself is worth the money to buy the book. I highly recommend this book for people that love languages, are in school or just want to improve their word power. I am giving this book a 5/5. I was given a copy to review via The book Review Buzz, howe ...more
Chris Phillips
The Great Grammar Book by Marsha Sramek ISBN 978-0-9841157-0-9. Published by Arch Press, 9095 Briar Forest Drive, Houston, Texas 77024. (www.thegreatgrammarbook.com) (SRP $18.95/Amazon N/A) Book received from publisher for review.
Review by Chris Phillips
Grammar books have certainly changed since this reviewer last looked at one. Sramek has written the suitably titled The Great Grammar Book. What stands out about the book is its layout. With a workbook style she covers all the regular topics, but
Margaret Metz
As a homeschool mom and as an aspiring writer, I've checked out a lot of grammar and writing books. This one has some features I really appreciate. I loved the diagnostic test at the beginning. This is a great way to hone in on your weak areas and build confidence (especially for a student who isn't a fan of grammar) in the areas they are already good at.

I also liked the focus on using sentences that have fun facts and are not the kind of thing you find in your average grammar book. My son and I
Kristi Bernard
Basic grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are essential for writing. Sramek has provided an excellent all-in-one reference guide and workbook. In the beginning of the guide, Sramek provides a 100-question test. Readers have an opportunity to test their knowledge before tackling each chapter. Readers can get to know where they need help. This will certainly save time and anguish.

Writers, students and business professionals, will find this text very useful. This guide has twelve chapters t
Reader's Paradise
Headline: Great it is...

When I was in school I didn’t do well in several classes English topping the list. As an adult with a passion for writing book reviews I’m always conscientious of my grammatical flaws. Wishing I hadn’t wasted that time in school. I regret it now so I’ve tried diligently to make up for lost time. Fortunately for me I have resources such as this one to help with that.

A few years ago I started searching for English books that would fill in the gaps of my missed education. I
Charissa Wilkinson
I received this book for a fair review.

Overview: This is a grammar guide, people. We get a diagnostic test, and separated chapters for specialized lessons. It’s not meant to be fun.

Dislikes: When did being grammatically correct trump what the sentence would sound like when read aloud? Because a lot of these practice sentences are awkward at best.

Conclusion: I think I’ll just stick with Strunk’s “Elements of Style.”
Sinku090gmail.com
Jan 13, 2015 Sinku090gmail.com marked it as to-read
Shelves: grammar
want to read
Adele
The only solid grammar rule I knew through most of school was that the English language had a lot of exceptions and broke a lot of rules. It wasn't until I studied German in highschool that I began to understand the patterns or rules in the English language, or felt I understood them.

I learned so much just from taking the diagnostic test at the beginning of this book. This book is fabulous, effective, and user-friendly.

(Please, don't judge this book based on the grammar in my review.)
Sandra Stiles
Although this book was made for high school and college students I have found it beneficial to me. There are plenty of fun practice exercises. Even though I am a teacher who has taught grammar in the past, I especially found the diagnostic test useful. I took it and found my own weaknesses. Schools today need to go back to a basic grammar book and I personally think this one would fit the bill.

Eden
I won this book from a Goodreads giveaway and I think it is a really good book that teaches you grammar, punctuation and sentence structure. I also like the testing in the beginning, it helps to show your strengths and weaknesses, so you know what you need to work on.

It's a really helpful book. I know it'll be a book I keep going back to, whenever I need help.
Marge
I have really enjoyed this as a workbook. It didn't feel too textbook-like to me. It has been a great refresher and I will keep it in my office for future reference.
Mary Ryall
Mar 14, 2013 Mary Ryall is currently reading it
Shelves: english-grammar
Frankly, I never finished reading book. It wasn't my cup of tea.
Alihyder
Sarah Sammis
Oct 28, 2009 Sarah Sammis marked it as to-read
Shelves: review-copy
Sent for review.
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Cynthia Mazile
Cynthia Mazile marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Cynthia Lou
Cynthia Lou marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Jack DM
Jack DM marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Brian Covington
Brian Covington marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Bunny
Bunny marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Unlikely Secret Agent
  • Bright Side Up: 100 Ways to Be Happier Right Now
  •  Word Savvy: Use the Right Word Every Time, All the Time
  • The Book Club Cookbook
  • The Man Who Loved Too Much (Archipelago #1)
  • Awkward: A Survival Guide for When All You Can Do Is Cringe
  • Blessed Are the Dead  (Detective Emmanuel Cooper #3)
  • Sidonia's Thread: The Secrets of a Mother and Daughter Sewing a New Life in America
  • How English Works: A Grammar Practice Book
  • Write That Book Already!: The Tough Love You Need to Get Published Now
  • Little House in the Suburbs: Backyard Farming and Home Skills for Self-Sufficient Living
  • Kicking the Sky
  • The Handbook of Good English
  • Hostile Eyewitness: Serena Manchester Series Book One
  • Comma Sense: A Fun-damental Guide to Punctuation
  • The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation: An Easy-To-Use Guide with Clear Rules, Real-World Examples, and Reproducible Quizzes
  • Her Heart's Desire