Start by marking “Saying Kaddish: How to Comfort the Dying, Bury the Dead, and Mourn as a Jew” as Want to Read:
Saying Kaddish: How to Comfort the Dying, Bury the Dead, and Mourn as a Jew

Saying Kaddish: How to Comfort the Dying, Bury the Dead, and Mourn as a Jew

Anita Diamant's knowledge, sensitivity, and clarity have made her one of the most respected writers of guides to Jewish life. In Saying Kaddish, she shows how to make Judaism's time-honored rituals into personal, meaningful sources of comfort. Diamant guides the reader through Jewish practices that attend the end of life, from the sickroom to the funeral to the week, month ...more
Published August 7th 2007 by Schocken (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Saying Kaddish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saying Kaddish

Alto2
Jul 04, 2008 Alto2 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I suppose I should have read this before my father died. I suppose I should have read this right after my father died. I didn't. I'm reading it now, and, although it makes me sad, it helps me understand the Jewish way in mourning and death. It was a mildly helpful book in terms of the rituals surrounding Jewish death and dying.

The one who really should read it next is my husband. His parents are in their late 70s.
Sharon
Oct 05, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holly says she wonders who taught me to pick out books! HA! This one is very interesting --Of course, I am not Jewish, but I am appreciating learning about the traditions and how saying Kaddish is a form of comfort for the loss of a loved one.
There are probably things in the Kaddish tradition that we as Christian's could use to help us when we go through the loss of someone we care about.
Susan
Feb 22, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish, non-fiction
Unlike most books I read, I didn't choose this one, or read it for pleasure. Rather, our rabbi gave it to me when my husband died. It talks about everything I needed to know about what would happen and what I needed to do, as well as giving down-to-earth advice about the process of grieving. It's something I'll keep and refer to again and again.

Diamant has included an interesting appendix, "Planning for the Unthinkable," in which she urges us all to prepare for our own deaths by, among other thi
Emilia P
Anita, always solid stuff. Caring for the dying and the dead, sitting Shiva, sticking to rhythms, turning the focus from the mourned to the mourner deliberately. I learned some great things about ways to mark and understand dying in a Jewish cultural and religious context, but as often is the case, I found myself seeking a philosophical solace in a how-to book. Diamant is great at straddling that line, but I expected a slightly heavier tome. Ah well. It was quite good, and I'm glad she is there ...more
Francie
Jan 07, 2013 Francie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gift from my rabbi when my mother passed away in November, 2012, this book has guided and comforted me through these early weeks of mourning. Diamant clearly explains traditional Jewish customs and beliefs while offering support for less traditional Jews to find a meaningful path to healing from such loss. Never "preachy," "Saying Kaddish" is a book I will return to throughout the coming months and keep in my library for reference and comfort in the future.
Elyse P
Aug 21, 2015 Elyse P rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful book when dealing with the process of grief and mourning from a Jewish perspective. Educational as well as spiritual. Most Most of the book is written with an orthodox lens, but there is some information on how each of the branches of Judaism observe.
Laurie
Oct 27, 2012 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, practical information about how to deal with death in the family following the Jewish religion.
Andrew Newman
Jul 27, 2015 Andrew Newman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I skimmed this book when my father passed away suddenly, and just got around to rereading it with a different focus toward the end of my period of mourning. A valuable, insightful resource.
Robin
Oct 15, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish
Written with kindness and all the necessary details. This is one to keep on hand at home; it even made me feel better.
Ani Ima
Ani Ima rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2014
Tammey
Tammey rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2009
Gayle
Gayle rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2008
Lorri
Lorri rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2012
Tim Downie
Tim Downie rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2015
Sonja
Sonja rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Sars
Sars rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2012
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2011
Shena
Shena rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2010
Alina Neganova
Alina Neganova rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2016
Mara Collins
Mara Collins rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2008
Priscilla Herrington
Priscilla Herrington rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2013
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2016
April Zipser
I think this will be a good intro into a very sad subject.
Margo
Margo rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2010
Skylar
Skylar rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Jewish With Feeling: A Guide to Meaningful Jewish Practice
  • Surprised by God: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Religion
  • Five Books Of Miriam: A Woman's Commentary on the Torah
  • To Pray As A Jew: A Guide To The Prayer Book And The Synagogue Service
  • The Book of Jewish Values: A Day-by-Day Guide to Ethical Living
  • This Is Real and You Are Completely Unprepared: The Days of Awe as a Journey of Transformation
  • Jews and Words
  • God Was in This Place and I, I Did Not Know
  • Kosher Nation: Why More and More of America's Food Answers to a Higher Authority
  • The Sabbath World: Glimpses of a Different Order of Time
  • Yiddish with Dick and Jane
  • Benevolence and Betrayal: Five Italian Jewish Families Under Fascism
  • How to Run a Traditional Jewish Household
  • The Jew in the Lotus
Anita Diamant is the author of twelve books -- the newest being THE BOSTON GIRL.

Addie Baum is THE BOSTON GIRL, born in 1900 to immigrant parents who were unprepared for America and its effect on their three daughters. Growing up in the North End, then a teeming multicultural neighborhood, Addie’s intelligence and curiosity take her to the wider world of the 1910s and ‘20s: short skirts, celebrity
More about Anita Diamant...