Start by marking “Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad” as Want to Read:
Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad

Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad

Meet Mike Greenberg, the popular host of ESPN Radio’s Mike and Mike in the Morning, the highest-rated drive-time sports talk show on the dial. To his three-million-plus listeners, Greeny is the guy who’s equally as comfortable dissecting zone defenses as he is discussing cashmere sweaters. He’s been to Super Bowls and World Series, All-Star Games and Final Fours. He’s inte ...more
Published March 7th 2006 by Villard (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot

Aug 31, 2007 Joshua rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Not bad. Some really funny moments, but I had a hard time caring about anything he said because he always ended with something like "my nanny always gets the groceries" or "I've never heard of kids peeing in a pool" and I'd like to know where's been.

That and he name drops expensive clothes like I'm supposed to care.

But then again, I don't listen to sports talk. Overall a quick read and enjoyable enough.

My wife still thinks I'm an idiot, though.
النصف الاول من الكتاب كان عادي جدا..
لكن شوية شوية بدأت الحكم وكشف لأسرار الاختلافات بين الأزواج..بين الرجل والأنثى
تفاجئوني..لهذا سأعطيه نجمتين في النهاية.
Apr 28, 2009 Mick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What to do, what to do. . .

Your toddler son's first word is an expletive about poo. Your four-year-old daughter no longer needs you to go to swimming class with her. Your middle-aged, paunchy billionaire bud enjoys wearing speedos in public. You have a flat at 4:00 a.m. on the way to work and Triple A doesn't respond. You find out the hard way you can't clean up puke with a vacuum cleaner. And to top it all off, your wife thinks you're an idiot.

So what to do? Go see your shrink? Or write a boo
Jun 21, 2007 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Written by Mike Greenberg of “Mike and Mike in the Morning” and bought for my husband who listens to their radio program every morning on his way to work. Not entirely about sports Greenberg gives us a glimpse into his life as a husband, as a father, and then as a sportscaster. Because life isn’t just about sports or family or the need to go to the grocery store. It’s about all those things combined. The book is funny and sad and I would definitely recommend it, especially if you’re married (wit ...more
Jul 15, 2007 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently the author is a famous sports announcer. I picked it up because I thought the title was funny. Anyway, he's quite full of himself. Comes across as a misogynist, but he probably amped it up a bit since his audience is mostly men. He's not that funny, his writing is derivative, and I have no idea how it got on the NY Times bestseller list.
Wes Branscum
Should of been called Why My Wife Thinks I'm a sissy.

There is very littler in terms of sports in this book. Most of it seems to be Greeny complaining about his wife's pregnancy. Then he goes on to talk about how hard it was to watch 2 kids with his live in nanny. Greeny comes off very silver spoon feed and like a "better than you" prick. Always name dropping about his cloths or money, hell in one section he dropped the word Billionaire an asinine amount of times. I dont know if this was for him
Rick Cheeseman
Feb 17, 2015 Rick Cheeseman rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like listening to him on the way to work, but I won't ever, ever read anything he writes again. Thought this would be a quick, enjoyable read but Greenberg comes off as an out of touch elitist...which makes it so less enjoyable. Ugh.
Mar 13, 2015 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

This is a funny book. I can't tell you how many times I burst out laughing. I'll be looking at Greenberg in a different way the next time I watch his morning show.
Lee Ann
Jan 12, 2013 Lee Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have never listened to Mr. Greenberg and even though he comes across as having a sense of humor he also comes across as slightly chauvinistic. Still for the most part it was cute.
Jan 16, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dunno, it just didn't seem to live up to the hype my boyfriend made of it. I guess I expected too much, but I did enjoy reading it.
His wife thinks he's an idiot because she's right. What a spoiled, elitist baby. Not the actual baby. Him.
Dec 15, 2009 Kaliki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, from start to finish. Greenberg is thoughtful, he's humble, he's real, he's senstive about his kids, and mostly he's FUNNY!

There is some great writing in this book, about sports, about the influence of sports on girls, about the influence of sports on our generation, and on the influence of our generation on sports. Greenberg is a whiz at sports facts & stats. But better than that, he is thoughtful and thought-provoking about sports and their place in our lives.
Feb 10, 2008 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greenberg tackles marriage, children, sports, being "a little famous" and many other nuances of daily life as a father, a husband and a sportscaster in his first book. The book is essentially journal entries from various times before and during fatherhood, as suggested by his therapist. The funniest thing about the book to me was that most of the book is about him saying or doing the wrong thing at the wrong time, which is a unique perspective of a tv personality whom most people believe are inf ...more
Jul 17, 2007 Deepa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like humorous anecdotes and have a sports obsessed goof in their lives
I can tell you what I didn't learn from this book: why Mike Greenberg's wife thinks he's an idiot. As a quick summary, Greenberg's therapist asks him to keep a journal, and the book strings together some of the entries in his quest to figure out what it all means. He never quite figures it out, but he does learn interesting life lessons along the way (mostly involving his kids, his wife, why he loves sports, and when the internal monologue running in your head should stay internal).

Despite the f
Obeikan  Publishing

Many successful people fail to deal with their families in the right way. Despite their creativity and professional success, they fail to confront simple obstacles in marriage or family which makes them feel stupid and frustrated.
The book introduces the experience of a well-known sports broadcaster who was able to impress and attract a wide audience achieving widespread fame. However, when he returns home he collides with his image in his wife's eyes: a foolish and helpless man who was unable to
Kim Sasso
I am only a peripheral sports fan, but for some reason I really enjoy Mike & Mike in the morning. And I am a big fan of the essay, so I was kinda looking forward to a modern day Paul Hemphill kind of thing here. It was surprising to find there was not really much about the sporting world in this volume. I think if I were a parent I'd probably not have cared as much because there are several good parenting stories....and even as it stands, I am still fairly well satisfied having spent my sick ...more
Nov 21, 2007 Tracey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libraryread
My husband is a fan of Greenberg's morning sports radio show & when he mentioned his new book, I checked it out of the library so Scott could read it. He liked it well enough to recommend to me, so I buzzed thru it yesterday afternoon.

Greenberg combines transcripts from his radio show with (supposed) excerpts from his journal (written upon a recommendation from his shrink). He combines anecdotes with reflections on his life & attitude - mostly in terms of his wife and impending children
Faith High School
This book was funny I only give it two stars because, it's about a sportscaster and he makes a bunch of sports references and stuff. If you like sports I believe you will like this a lot more than I did. The entire book is him telling stories most of which that make him looks like an idiot. Mike is learning lessons so if you think these lessons can help you it can be considered self-improvement. read by jerin
May 12, 2016 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is highly entertaining! Greeny managed to make me smile or laugh out loud page after page. It might have helped that I am a dedicated watcher of the ESPN Mike & Mike sports talk show, which he is one of the hosts. I was already used to his personality but I still think anyone would get a kick out of his stories and his humor.
Tareq Ghanem
some difficulties and obstacles of life need some of fun to be able to overcome it, and this what Mike do in this book, by like of this funny sole we can stand in face of life like a Sall of ships in the sea
After reading the book by Mike and Mike my mother (the nonreader who slowly seems to be on the way to being a reader) ordered this from the library and then passed it on to me. She found it made her like Mike Greenburg a little less, I think his sense of whimsy and sarcastic tone can be lost on some.

The parts where he spends time with his kids are magically written and will be great memories for his kids for always. Some of his other adventures where we hear about times he got to drunk or made a
Apr 11, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the funniest books I've ever read. Many moments of laughing til I'm crying! If you're a fan of Greeny, you'll love it!
Jun 09, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge follower and fan of the radio show so I was predisposed to like this book. Greeny didn't disappoint.
Jan 03, 2016 anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mike Greenberg is a funny guy. Book is well written and could come under the category of "spilling his guts".
May 28, 2016 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dull and pointless. I enjoy sports memoirs but this has nothing of interest to share. Boring stories, no humor, lots of misogynist take my wife jokes. Save your time.
The title pretty much says it all. Humerous at times but predictable.
Morgan Dekle
Aug 03, 2016 Morgan Dekle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hysterical! Must read.
Landon Chapman
Nov 05, 2014 Landon Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an enjoyable read.
Mar 29, 2015 Vickie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

If you listen to or watch Mike & Mike you will enjoy this brief look into the life of Greeny.
Feb 19, 2008 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greenberg is a co-host for a morning show on ESPN Radio. Although he loves sports he is not the athlete-type, which he puts to use in this book. I find a lot of it funny, but the thing that caught me off guard was that my wife read this book and liked it just as much (if not more) then i did. I also had it with me during my honeymoon, so guys and girls kept coming up to me making comments about the title. It was a good read.
  • Seeing Red
  • Open: Inside the Ropes at Bethpage Black
  • Clough: The Autobiography
  • Hogan
  • Rock This!
  • You Can't Make This Up: Miracles, Memories, and the Perfect Marriage of Sports and Television
  • Let Me Tell You a Story: A Lifetime in the Game
  • Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer: A Road Trip into the Heart of Fan Mania
  • Best of Rivals: Joe Montana, Steve Young, and the Inside Story behind the NFL's Greatest Quarterback Controversy
  • I'm Back for More Cash: A Tony Kornheiser Collection (Because You Can't Take Two Hundred Newspapers into the Bathroom)
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season