Start by marking “Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad” as Want to Read:
Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad

Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  604 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Meet Mike Greenberg, the popular host of ESPN Radio’s Mike and Mike in the Morning, the highest-rated drive-time sports talk show on the dial. To his three-million-plus listeners, Greeny is the guy who’s equally as comfortable dissecting zone defenses as he is discussing cashmere sweaters. He’s been to Super Bowls and World Series, All-Star Games and Final Fours. He’s inte ...more
Published March 7th 2006 by Villard (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot

Sheila
Written by Mike Greenberg of “Mike and Mike in the Morning” and bought for my husband who listens to their radio program every morning on his way to work. Not entirely about sports Greenberg gives us a glimpse into his life as a husband, as a father, and then as a sportscaster. Because life isn’t just about sports or family or the need to go to the grocery store. It’s about all those things combined. The book is funny and sad and I would definitely recommend it, especially if you’re married (wit ...more
Joshua
Not bad. Some really funny moments, but I had a hard time caring about anything he said because he always ended with something like "my nanny always gets the groceries" or "I've never heard of kids peeing in a pool" and I'd like to know where's been.

That and he name drops expensive clothes like I'm supposed to care.

But then again, I don't listen to sports talk. Overall a quick read and enjoyable enough.

My wife still thinks I'm an idiot, though.
Lee Ann
I have never listened to Mr. Greenberg and even though he comes across as having a sense of humor he also comes across as slightly chauvinistic. Still for the most part it was cute.
Ashley
I dunno, it just didn't seem to live up to the hype my boyfriend made of it. I guess I expected too much, but I did enjoy reading it.
Sam
His wife thinks he's an idiot because she's right. What a spoiled, elitist baby. Not the actual baby. Him.
Kaliki
I really enjoyed this book, from start to finish. Greenberg is thoughtful, he's humble, he's real, he's senstive about his kids, and mostly he's FUNNY!

There is some great writing in this book, about sports, about the influence of sports on girls, about the influence of sports on our generation, and on the influence of our generation on sports. Greenberg is a whiz at sports facts & stats. But better than that, he is thoughtful and thought-provoking about sports and their place in our lives.
Matt
Greenberg tackles marriage, children, sports, being "a little famous" and many other nuances of daily life as a father, a husband and a sportscaster in his first book. The book is essentially journal entries from various times before and during fatherhood, as suggested by his therapist. The funniest thing about the book to me was that most of the book is about him saying or doing the wrong thing at the wrong time, which is a unique perspective of a tv personality whom most people believe are inf ...more
Mick
What to do, what to do. . .

Your toddler son's first word is an expletive about poo. Your four-year-old daughter no longer needs you to go to swimming class with her. Your middle-aged, paunchy billionaire bud enjoys wearing speedos in public. You have a flat at 4:00 a.m. on the way to work and Triple A doesn't respond. You find out the hard way you can't clean up puke with a vacuum cleaner. And to top it all off, your wife thinks you're an idiot.

So what to do? Go see your shrink? Or write a boo
Deepa
Jul 17, 2007 Deepa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like humorous anecdotes and have a sports obsessed goof in their lives
I can tell you what I didn't learn from this book: why Mike Greenberg's wife thinks he's an idiot. As a quick summary, Greenberg's therapist asks him to keep a journal, and the book strings together some of the entries in his quest to figure out what it all means. He never quite figures it out, but he does learn interesting life lessons along the way (mostly involving his kids, his wife, why he loves sports, and when the internal monologue running in your head should stay internal).

Despite the f
Obeikan  Publishing

Many successful people fail to deal with their families in the right way. Despite their creativity and professional success, they fail to confront simple obstacles in marriage or family which makes them feel stupid and frustrated.
The book introduces the experience of a well-known sports broadcaster who was able to impress and attract a wide audience achieving widespread fame. However, when he returns home he collides with his image in his wife's eyes: a foolish and helpless man who was unable to
Kim Sasso
I am only a peripheral sports fan, but for some reason I really enjoy Mike & Mike in the morning. And I am a big fan of the essay, so I was kinda looking forward to a modern day Paul Hemphill kind of thing here. It was surprising to find there was not really much about the sporting world in this volume. I think if I were a parent I'd probably not have cared as much because there are several good parenting stories....and even as it stands, I am still fairly well satisfied having spent my sick ...more
Tracey
My husband is a fan of Greenberg's morning sports radio show & when he mentioned his new book, I checked it out of the library so Scott could read it. He liked it well enough to recommend to me, so I buzzed thru it yesterday afternoon.

Greenberg combines transcripts from his radio show with (supposed) excerpts from his journal (written upon a recommendation from his shrink). He combines anecdotes with reflections on his life & attitude - mostly in terms of his wife and impending children
Tareq Ghanem
some difficulties and obstacles of life need some of fun to be able to overcome it, and this what Mike do in this book, by like of this funny sole we can stand in face of life like a Sall of ships in the sea
Linda
After reading the book by Mike and Mike my mother (the nonreader who slowly seems to be on the way to being a reader) ordered this from the library and then passed it on to me. She found it made her like Mike Greenburg a little less, I think his sense of whimsy and sarcastic tone can be lost on some.

The parts where he spends time with his kids are magically written and will be great memories for his kids for always. Some of his other adventures where we hear about times he got to drunk or made a
Landon Chapman
This was an enjoyable read.
Robert
Greenberg is a co-host for a morning show on ESPN Radio. Although he loves sports he is not the athlete-type, which he puts to use in this book. I find a lot of it funny, but the thing that caught me off guard was that my wife read this book and liked it just as much (if not more) then i did. I also had it with me during my honeymoon, so guys and girls kept coming up to me making comments about the title. It was a good read.
Noel
My husband convinced me to read this book. It's pretty hilarious, especially if you like sports. I had several laugh out loud moments. However, I did take issue with his attempts to come off as just a regular guy with kids trying to make it day to day. He has a housekeeper, a lawn boy, wears $200 jeans, John Varvatos sweaters and drives a BMW. So to me, and most of two kid America, he's really not a regular guy.
aaron
this is a great memoir by one of my favorite sports talk dudes, mike greenberg of mike and mike in the morning on espn radio. this book finds greenberg filling the readers in on what it is like to be a sportscaster, a dad, a husband, and a friend...and how it is possible to fit them all into one! if you are a fan of sports, or just of memoirs in general, then this is one to pick up for a good and humorous read!
Jennifer Rice
Mar 03, 2008 Jennifer Rice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sports nuts and their significant others
I actually borrowed this from my husband and it's pretty funny. Mike Greeny is the radio host for Mika and Mike, ESPN Radio's morning show who's known for being somewhat of a metrosexual sports guy. So many of his observations and comments and stories were things I could very much see my husband doing which made it all the more funny. Sports nuts and their significant others would like this book!
Erin
Apparently the author is a famous sports announcer. I picked it up because I thought the title was funny. Anyway, he's quite full of himself. Comes across as a misogynist, but he probably amped it up a bit since his audience is mostly men. He's not that funny, his writing is derivative, and I have no idea how it got on the NY Times bestseller list.
Katie
A quick fun read by half of the "Mike and Mike in the morning" crew - some parts are very funny - though spends a little too much time talking about his designer clothes and how hard it is when his wife leaves him alone with the kids (WITH the nanny of course...so not really alone.....). Still, a good blend of sports and the challenges of everyday life....
Mark Sokolowski
Jun 18, 2007 Mark Sokolowski rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
the book is basically a guy's journals from the years when he and his wife were first conceiving a child through the births of both of them. it is laced with sports stories and references, but really it is just a good book to explore the male-female dynamic, and it is full of good laughs.
Branden
This book is hilarious. It appears that the book was taken from Greeny's own personal diary and his reflection on becoming a father is priceless. Really helped me to relate with my own wife when she was having our first child. A must for expecting fathers who loves sports.
Christine
I read this book on my honeymoon, on the plane on the way to Hawaii. My husband read it first and thought I'd like it. It's the only sports book I ever read, and it's filled with enough anecdotes about his life outside of sportscasting that kept me interested.
Corin.garbe.2
Read this when I ran out of other books to read on my honeymoon. Who listens to this guy? He comes off as a jerk, and I think he likes this about himself?! The book has funny moments, but a lot of moments spent think, why is this guy such a schmuck?!
Curtis
This book was hilarious. One of the funniest books I've read. Not an outstanding literary work, but a very enjoyable read that also had a few poignant reflections in Greenberg's life that I enjoyed reading. It was definitely a worthwhile read.
Samantha
This was a very enjoyable book. It was funny and light but endearing. I'm a sports girl, that's what led to me reading this. I ended up loving not only the sports but the stories Mike shared about himself, fatherhood, etc. I'd recommend this.
meg
Jul 10, 2007 meg rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: shaila
very funny book by one of the mike's from mike and mike in the morning on espn. i love mike and mike and this behind the scenes look at him makes me love him even more. didn't take me long to read this book at all. it is one of my favorites.
Beth
Really funny book by a sportscaster...don't let that scare you away ladies. It is a really hilarious look at life as a sportscaster, as a husband and as a father. Really well written and an easy read. Good for both men and women to read.
Noah
I can't remember why I ended up reading this book. It wasn't bad, but there was nothing memorable or fresh about it either. You should probably only buy it if you're in an airport bookstore and need something to read on the plane.
  • Who's Your Caddy?: Looping for the Great, Near Great, and Reprobates of Golf
  • Glory Road: My Story of the 1966 NCAA Basketball Championship and How One Team Triumphed Against the Odds and Changed America Forever
  • Knight: My Story
  • Love and Blood: At the World Cup with the Footballers, Fans, and Freaks
  • Fowler: My Autobiography
  • Let Me Tell You a Story: A Lifetime in the Game
  • Life on the Run
  • The Miracle of Castel di Sangro: A Tale of Passion and Folly in the Heart of Italy
  • America's Game: The Epic Story of How Pro Football Captured a Nation
  • Days of Grace: A Memoir
  • The Long Ball: The Summer of '75 -- Spaceman, Catfish, Charlie Hustle, and the Greatest World Series Ever Played
All You Could Ask For Mike and Mike's Rules for Sports and Life My Father's Wives: A Novel An Ancient Future Prayer The Poetics of Cities: Designing Neighborhoods That Work