Start by marking “Gilead” as Want to Read:
Gilead

Gilead (Gilead #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  52,447 Ratings  ·  7,208 Reviews
In 1956, toward the end of Reverend John Ames's life, he begins a letter to his young son, an account of himself and his forebears. Ames is the son of an Iowa preacher and the grandson of a minister who, as a young man in Maine, saw a vision and came west to Kansas to fight for abolition. Reverend Ames tells a story of the sacred bonds between fathers and sons, which are t ...more
Audio, Unabridged, 9 pages
Published January 1st 2005 by Sound Library (first published October 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Gilead, please sign up.

مرجان محمدی Housekeeping has its own independant place among the other 3s, and it is for sure as beautiful as Gilead for its emotional narator telling us how the…moreHousekeeping has its own independant place among the other 3s, and it is for sure as beautiful as Gilead for its emotional narator telling us how the world can be seen, as Home for its picture of how sweet and secure a home can be, and as Lila for describing a woman wandering in the strange world of loneliness.
I prefer this picture for reading order: Home, Gilead, Lila. and Housekeeping can be anywhere among, before ot after them!(less)

Greg
May 09, 2007 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It often feels as if the contemporary literary scene has internalized Anna Karenina’s dictum on the nature of happiness—that it is not idiosyncratic, with the implication that it is not worth the kind of careful attention that literature applies to its subjects. We need look no further than our own lives to recognize the problem we’ll encounter if we preoccupy ourselves with the Tolstoyan “unhappy family” at the expense of the happy ones. Asked about our defining or most enlightening moments, mo ...more
Jessica
Oct 12, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: heathens
This book is amazing. I can't believe those frikkin twits didn't give Marilynne Robinson the Pulitzer for this..... oh wait, they did. Well, I can't believe they didn't give her two!

Seriously, you are probably thinking, "I've heard this book takes the form of an elderly, angina-stricken preacher in Iowa's long, Lord-laden letter to his young son about how beautiful the world is. I'm sure it's all very nice for some people, but I am way too big of a jerk to enjoy something like that."

Well, let me
William1
May 08, 2016 William1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, us, 21-ce
This novel reminds me—with its beautifully spare prose and the bleak stoicism of its characters—of three books: Per Petterson's Out Stealing Horses, Willa Cather's My Ántonia and Martin Amis's House of Meetings. This is not meant as a statement of influence, but simply one of kinship. The writing in all of these novels is conversational in tone and beautifully compressed, which is enormously hard to do, though it appears easy.

Gilead is the story of a Protestant pastor, the Reverent Ames, who, i
brian
Jan 06, 2009 brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to brian by: DFJ
paul schrader called his book on the films of bresson, ozu, and dreyer transcendental style in film. sorry, mr. schrader, for reducing your book and theory to a one-liner, but the transcendental style goes something like this: the intentional evenness and flatness (both visually and dramatically) of these films work to create a ‘lifting’ or revelation at the end, such as one may receive after hours of intense prayer, study, or meditation.

as much as a book can fit within this category, i think G
Jason
Dec 03, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 4 year old son is going to die...sometime in the future, like me--wishfully long after me--and we'll have no more time to talk. We should hopefully grow old together, but we'll grow old together as men. Yes, we'll always be father and son, but for the most part when we talk and share, he will be a man. What should I tell him now, as a boy? He's too young to remember, but I have so many things I want to say, to teach, to protect... There are things I want to tell him that are important now, th ...more
J
Feb 05, 2009 J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a review. I wrote something that aspired to be a review but fell short. In the end all you really need to know is that I loved it. I finished it standing in line at the grocery with tears running down my face because it was that beautiful. It’s the ruminations of a man at the end of his life, it’s confession, it’s revelation, it’s a parable in a parable. It’s hopeful. Read it.

I found this quote written on a scrap of something in my purse. "I know more than I know and must learn it fr
Kj
Dear Son:
The Too-Little-Too-Late Dilemma of Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead

It’s deceptively tempting to approach a book like Marilynne Robinson’s Gilead, and see only the main character’s theological musings. After all, in a novel about an old man reminiscing about faith and family, there’s a plethora of weighty spiritual content; everything from careful exegesis of Genesis 22 to references to Karl Barth’s Epistle to the Romans. Needless to say, this is no simple “I remember when…” fable of love an
Sparrow
Jan 18, 2013 Sparrow marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sparrow by: Pulitzer
I believe the audio of this book is read by Santa Claus, so that is nice. Not nice enough for me to finish it, though. I tried the printed copy and the audio, and while I made it slightly farther in the audio, I just can’t do it. I think listening to this in the car creates a severe hazard because of the imminent danger of me falling asleep.

Having read Olive Kitteridge and this, I’ve come to the conclusion that the Pulitzer committee is looking for books about bumbling old people whose kids may
Ahmad Sharabiani
Gilead (Gilead #1), Marilynne Robinson
گفتگو با مرجان محمدی، مترجم رمانهای مریلین رابینسون
روزنامه جام جم: مریلین رابینسون از نویسندگان معاصر آمریکایی است. این نویسنده که از اعضای فرهنگستان هنر و دانش آمریکاست، در سال 2011 از طرف «دانشگاه آکسفورد»، کرسی سالانه «ازموند هارمزورت» در هنر و ادبیات آمریکایی در «دانشگاه بنیاد آمریکایی راترمر» را دریافت کرد. «رابینسون» که آثارش در ایران کمی گمنام است، نخستین رمان خود با عنوان «خانه داری» را سال 1980 منتشر، و جایزه «بنیاد همینگوی» را از آن خود کرد. ایشان
Chaybyrd
I am devastated by how much I despised this novel. It was one of the most uninspired stories about Christianity, forgiveness and familial bonds I have ever read.

I can't help but wonder if this is the first plotless novel to win a Pulitzer. I'll be on the look out. The framework of the "story" is a dying minister writing in his diary presumably for his now 7 year old son to read after his death. The first person father writing to his son narrative was horrid. I felt like the entire book was one
Lynne King
I am so disappointed with this book. Having said that, I agree with all the reviews written about this highly acclaimed work stating, for example, that Gilead is a beautiful work – demanding, grave and lucid… Robinson’s words have a spiritual force that’s very rare in contemporary fiction - The New York Times Book Review.

So serenely beautiful, and written in a prose so gravely measured and thoughtful, that one feels touched with grace just to read it…A triumph of tone and imagination [and a]
Paula
Nov 05, 2008 Paula rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ponderous. That's "Gilead" in a word. It's supposed to be the slow, insightful reflections of an old preacher writing a letter about his life to his son. Because, you see, the preacher is going to die soon. Actually, most of the book is so slow you feel like he's dying right then and there. Or at least, you wish he would drop dead, because then the book would be over. Keeling over might even be an improvement, since then something would happen.

My guess is that after twenty years of not writing,
Sandi
Forget your theology books and forget your "Christian Fiction". If you really want to get inside the head of someone with a deep, abiding faith in God, you must read "Gilead". Through the story of Rev. John Ames, Marilynne Robinson eloquently expresses so many of the ideas I have had about Christianity and state some difficult theological concepts in easy to understand words. And, she does it without ever getting cheesy or preachy. Reading this book is like floating in a pool on a warm summer da ...more
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

Read a book that won the Pulitzer Prize.

3.5 stars rounded up

Ok ya'll, this review is gonna get personal. It's the only review I think I can write right now, and this book gives me the perfect platform to do it. If you have a problem with personal reviews, don't read it I don't give a damn.

There are a thousand thousand reasons to live this life, every one of them sufficient.

This was my book club's selection for May. I've kind of been in a reading slump the past few months and just haven't been
Maxwell
Apr 12, 2015 Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2015
It's not often that I find a book that can hold my attention enough to read it in one day. Gilead is a book that I'm conflicted over having read so speedily, as I couldn't stop reading, while at the same time wanted to savor and absorb more slowly every thought and prayer and beautiful moment it held.

I understand the praise for this book. And I understand when people say that in fifty or one hundred years people will still be reading this book and finding something deeply human in it.

Gilead is
David
Aug 28, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Alisa
First of all, I have some disclaiming to do. I do not believe in God, not even in the most hazy, nondenominational sense of an impersonal 'force' that vouchsafes existence. I was raised Catholic (halfheartedly)—by which I mean that I was sent to Catholic school, but my parents were never demonstratively or actively Catholic. They only rarely attended church (precipitated, I think, by a sense of lapsed duty), they never prayed, to my knowledge, and they mostly refrained from any mention of gods o ...more
Violet wells
John Ames is a pastor in the forsaken town of Gilead. Ames, after losing his first wife and child to a difficult labour, has remarried late in life to a much younger woman and so at the ripe old age of seventy six has a very young son who he realises he will not see grow to manhood. So at the end of his life he is writing what he believes to be a kind of epistle to the beauty of God’s world for his young son. He is attempting to bestow grace on his son. He gives him advice – “I would advise you ...more
Inder
Jan 12, 2012 Inder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humanity
Recommended to Inder by: Elizabeth
Yes, I have now read this THREE times. That should really speak for itself.
___________________________

12/1/07 I've been thinking and thinking about this book, so I find myself coming back to this review.

The basic plot (such as it is - this is a character driven book in the most basic sense): An old preacher finds out that he is dying, and writes a journal/memoir to his seven year old son.

There are a couple of breathtaking scenes in the book, that have stuck with me. The narrator remembers a tim
Sara Steger
Aug 31, 2016 Sara Steger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serious-fiction
John Ames is old and he is dying. His wife is much younger than he is and he has a six year old son that he has no chance of seeing grown. In response, he begins a journal that reads like a long letter to be read someday in the future by his son. Ames is a preacher, and much of what he discusses is couched in terms of his religion and his beliefs, but what he is facing and has faced in life is so universal that even an atheist might relate.

As Ames details the closing days of his life, we see th
Helle
Calvin says somewhere that each of us is an actor on a stage and God is the audience.

Gilead is a meditation on life, faith and fatherhood. It is the goodbye letter from a father to a son – a father who is 77 and whose son is only seven – and the father’s desire to leave some kind of legacy for his young son because he knows he won’t be there to see him grow up.

Looking back on his life, the Reverend John Ames remembers incidents small and big which have constituted his life. He reminisces about
Jan-Maat
With race again in the news from the USA (view spoiler) it seems worth while returning to Marilynne Robinson's book because beneath the gentle stream of consciousness ramblings of an elderly preacher who is approaching death something challenging hides.

Although set in 1956 the narrator's reflections flicker back and forth from the time of his grandfather - a pastor active in the aboliti
Aleathia Drehmer
Aug 03, 2008 Aleathia Drehmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people looking for accountability in themselves
Sometimes we read books that were meant for certain times in our lives though we don't know that when we pick them up. I started reading "Gilead" simply because it was on the Pulitzer list and for no other reason. I knew nothing about it. I like reading books blind sometimes. It makes their impact that much more to savor.

I am not a church going woman. I think we all know that by now. I have been a Buddhist for many years...over 10, though that absolves me of nothing, just makes me responsible to
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Dec 01, 2015 April (Aprilius Maximus) rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
DISCLAIMER - My friend and I decided to do a book swap where we lent each other one of our favourite books (I gave him the Knife of Never Letting Go) and he gave me this one!

To be honest, I'm so glad that's over and I can't believe I made it through the entire thing. I can see why people love this book, but it just really isn't for me, especially because I'm an atheist. I can appreciate it though but I just found it to be really slow and boring and preachy and just not my thing.
Jennifer (aka EM)
Feb 23, 2010 Jennifer (aka EM) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has struggled with faith and landed on either side of the chasm
Faith gets such a bad rap these days. The most egregiously distorted personifications of it stand as paragons: Sarah Palin's hypocritical, dangerous and politicized evangelism; Pat Robertson's venomous, hateful, racist diatribes. Et cetera.

At the foundation of these demonstrations of faith is a lack of any kind of sensible, coherent, thought-through logic. The Palins and Robertsons of the world--and their brand of religious belief and practice--are easily dismissed because the presentation of it
Duane
What you have here is a 76 year old minister from Iowa, writing a journal, or long letter, to his 7 year old son. Rev. Ames is dying, so he's afraid his son won't remember him, thus the letter. The Rev. comes from a long line of preachers, so the novel is religious in nature, but not overly so. It's really a story about family and family relationships, and time. There were some things I didn't like, some loose ends that are probably addressed in the sequels. But the writing is so good that it ca ...more
Dale Harcombe
Mar 01, 2015 Dale Harcombe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
I adored this book as I have Marilynne Robinson's others.
Review of re-reading will follow shortly.
I’m not a great re-reader of books. But I needed something I could sink into, enjoy and restore my equilibrium. Having read this book initially several years ago I knew Gilead would be a perfect choice. I loved it from the start. John Ames, an elderly preacher, is writing to his young son, telling him all those things he will not be around to tell him later. Along the way he not only reveals his own
Washington Post
Jan 09, 2014 Washington Post rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Gilead" is so serenely beautiful, and written in a prose so gravely measured and thoughtful, that one feels touched with grace just to read it.

Michael Dirda reviewed this profound and moving novel for us: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/...
Jed
Feb 02, 2009 Jed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in the world
Recommended to Jed by: Dawn Brimley, Lisa Clark
I don't like choosing favorites. I don't think I should be compelled to announce with any finality what is my favorite of anything. It's just too superlative for someone as indecisive as I am.

But if someone held a gun to my head and said they'd shoot me if I didn't name my favorite book in the world, my first thought would be Gilead. Since the first time I read it a few years ago, it has remained in me the way no other compilation of words ever has. To find God in a book-- and in such rich abund
Monique
Jan 25, 2015 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Monique by: Angus

Originally posted here.

Beautiful. Poignant. Heartrending. Melancholic. Intimate. Overwhelmingly touching. Spiritually uplifting. There is a ton of adjectives I could ascribe to Gilead, but I think these should suffice.

description

Gilead is a fictional town in Iowa where Reverend John Ames, now in the twilight of his years, has been a pastor for the larger part of his life. As he feels that he has nearly come to the end of his life’s journey, he writes a series of journal entries meant as a long letter fo
Giedra
Apr 21, 2008 Giedra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Giedra by: Carrie Neal
Shelves: book-club
My book club read this book right before I joined the club. Most of the members hated it, and at many subsequent book club discussions, books were compared to Gilead as, "well, at least it was easier to read than Gilead, etc." After several months of hearing about this book, I decided I needed to read this book for myself. (Perhaps to get more insight into my fellow book club members!)

Well, I liked the book a LOT. I was very surprised to find that it's a pretty slim book--from the way my friends
All About Books: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (Kristen, Greg, Alannah, Leanne, Susan) 51 33 Aug 11, 2016 10:20PM
21st Century Lite...: Gilead - General Discussion, No Spoilers (May 2015) 35 76 Jan 23, 2016 04:45PM
people 25 898 Nov 20, 2015 07:59AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Gilead, Home, Lila by Marilynne Robinson 3 11 Oct 26, 2015 08:26AM
Literatura cristiana: Literatura cristiana en inglés 2 3 Aug 18, 2015 03:17AM
  • A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain
  • Lamb in His Bosom
  • Scarlet Sister Mary
  • Early Autumn: A Story of a Lady
Her 1980 novel, Housekeeping, won a Hemingway Foundation/PEN Award for best first novel and was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Her second novel, Gilead, was acclaimed by critics and received the 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, the 2004 National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction, and the 2005 Ambassador Book Award.

Her third novel, Home, was published in 2008 and was nominated f
More about Marilynne Robinson...

Gilead (3 books)
  • Home (Gilead, #2)
  • Lila (Gilead, #3)

“This is an interesting planet. It deserves all the attention you can give it.” 1228 likes
“Sometimes I have loved the peacefulness of an ordinary Sunday. It is like standing in a newly planted garden after a warm rain. You can feel the silent and invisible life.” 265 likes