Start by marking “The Summer of Katya” as Want to Read:
The Summer of Katya

The Summer of Katya

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,837 ratings  ·  102 reviews
In the quiet Basque countryside in 1914, Jean-Marc Montjean, a handsome young doctor, is bewitched by the seductive, beautiful Katya. He is driven to know everything about her. He is devastated by the unspeakable secret horror buried in her past.

"A most exquisite, elegant, ingenious thriller." -- The New York Daily News

"A tour de force . . . A story that explores meticulou
Published June 28th 2005 by Crown (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Katya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer of Katya

As formative as Shibumi (and Trevanian) have been for me, I realized just a few days ago that I hadn't read another Trevanian novel and set about changing that. Out of sheer randomness, I chose The Summer of Katya -- and was not disappointed at all.

Having been away from Trevanian's writing for so long, it was brisk and rewarding to find again his incisive, edgy, but always well-crafted writing. I had trouble putting the book down, and the equivalent of 288 pages on my Kindle melted away in less
Dec 09, 2009 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
A wonderfully written book. Trevanian’s narration of the story as it unfolds leaves the reader in suspense and anxious to find out what the Treville’s secret is about. His vocabulary and use of words is outstanding. The writing and point of view of the characters is like no other books that I have ever read. Very well written indeed.

Jean-Marc Monjean, a recently medical school graduate takes a position as a doctor’s assistant in a small French Basque village of Sallies. The time is in the summe
Bruno Santrovitsch
Surely the best book from Trevanian, impactating on my mind to this day and I'm probably not alone.

Kitabı bitireli ne kadar süre geçerse geçsin etkisinden asla kurtulamayacağımı ve inatla etrafımdaki insanlara tavsiye etmeyi sürdüreceğimi düşünüyorum. Yazarın diğer kitaplarından “İnfazcı” ve “Şibumi”yi de okudum, çok beğendim, fakat bu kitabın yeri bende artık apayrı olacak.

Genç, okulunu yeni bitirmiş olan bir doktor ile bulundukları ortama ve yıla (1914) tamamen aykırı davranışlar sergileyen, kendi başına buyruk bir kızın, Katya’nın hikayesi konu edilmiş. Kitap içerisinde
A friend introduced me to this writer, I must admit I have never heard of him before and I think I will read more of his books.

This was a quick and exciting read.
I started of thinking it will be yet another story of a cruel, possessive brother and a sister who can't get away because she is torn between her love for her brother and the burning desire for her lover and somehow she can't have both (a cliche by now I am sure) but because I did not know what to expect at all, I was pleasantly surpris
I thoroughly enjoy my site. Blogger Kristin Espinasse mentioned The Summer of Katya as a good read, I trust her judgement so I ordered it through my library's interlibrary loan program. The book came in today, I picked it up late afternoon and read it in one setting. Difficult to put down, the novel was chillingly haunting - psychological thriller comes to mind, with the rather unanticipated nightmare of an ending. The glimpse into the Basque culture during a festiv ...more
Aletha Tavares
Aug 25, 2008 Aletha Tavares rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aletha by: Rekha Abel
Shelves: novel
The imagery of words are so powerful- that the visual before you stands out so clear. Trevanian is a master of words- woven so well that the reader finds this book difficult to put down.
Jennifer Bradford
This book is a work of art. There is a shockingly large amount of wisdom about life and relationships that I found worth highlighting. Buy a copy, a highlighter, and a pen.
Not typical Trevanian action/ adventure.
But brilliant writing. Beautiful evocation of the Basque people and country- supplementing Shibumi in this respect.
This book attracted me because of how precisely Trevaynian handles the relationship between Katya and her foolish young lover Jean-Marc. He is all emotion and hope, living for his first love, and she is vivacious but essentially cold; an unattainable joy. Much like Great Expectations, the theme might be that you start with an expectation that love conquers all, but end up learning that such romantics get flattened by the steamroller of feminine calculation.

As for plot, Jean-Marc bounces back an
Karen Gail Brown
It is the summer of 1914 on the eve of the Great War. Jean-Marc Montjean is a recent medical school graduate. He takes a job for the summer in the French Basque Village of Salies working for the aging Dr. Gros.
Jean-Marc spends his working hours primarily doing lab work for Dr. Gros, whose medical practice centers around aging ladies who come to him for "women's problems".

As Jean-Marc lays daydreaming under a tree one summer day, he is approached by a young woman who has been sent to him by Dr. G
read this one in 2010 when i discovered trevanian on the recommendation of another. summer 1914, guy graduated from med school arrives in a french village, salies. meets a girl. things happen. girl has a history. a brother, a father. story w/one of those twists.

i've heard raves about shibumi, by trevanian. this story was okay. i enjoyed the man, by trevanian more, that one of the crazy ladies of pearl street.

love story. psychological thriller. twists and turns. worth a read.
Heather Putman
Delicious prose and engrossing characters, with a startling payoff for the reader who pushes through the seemingly dull first 100 pages. At once both literature and modern thriller. A thorough and well-deserved Five Stars.
Jeremy Wood
it was really hard to put down...very engaging. the story is told in a really user friendly voice and carries the reader along really well. the first few pages are alittle rough, but youre rewarded with the witticisms in the characters' conversations and the depth of the story.
Bu kitabın finali nasıl bir şeydir öyle ya... Sonunda dumur olduğum nadir kitaplardan biridir, kesinlikle çok iyi bir kurgu.

Orijinali Kitap Esintisi adresinde.

Sonia Gomes
A simple story of a family in the Basque region, a young doctor who treats Katya and falls madly in love with her, the sadness that erupts and leaves you feeling limp. The utter helplessness that you feel at the twisted ending. This is an unforgettable book.
Richard Hamilton
There was something magical about this book -- the phrasing, sentence composition, word choice -- I dont know, it just read different than any book I had read up to that point. I thoroughly enjoyed it and expect anyone would.
EJ Johnson
Feb 24, 2008 EJ Johnson rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like variety in their reading
This was the first Trevanian I read. If you read it don't read the ending first.
Okuduğumda 12 yaşındaydım ama sonunda nasıl şaşırdığımı hala hatırlıyorum.
One of my all time favourites. Trevanian at his best
Final dönemim olmasına rağmen bir türlü bırakamadım okumayı. Çok akıcı bir anlatım, zekice planlanan bir kurgu ve aynı şekildeki karakterler... İlk başta sanki bir aşk hikâyesinden ibaret gibi duruyor; ancak sayfalar ilerledikçe öyle olmadığını anlıyorsunuz. Kitap boyunca acaba ne oldu gerçekte sorusunun cevabını arıyor, bir sürü seçenek belirliyorsunuz. Cevaba ulaşmanız için dikkatlice okumak gerekiyor. Aklımda daha değişik bir son vardı, daha farklı bir ihtimal... Böyle bir son değildi tahmin ...more
Georgiana 1792
Molti di coloro che hanno descritto quell'estate dicono di aver avvertito qualcosa di infausto e di letale in quella stagione così meravigliosa, come l'ultimo guizzo di una candela che sta per consumarsi, lo scoppio ellenistico dell'esuberanza disperata che precede la morte di una civiltà, l'ultimo momento di risata e di gioia quasi isterica di migliaia di giovani che sarebbero morti nelle trincee.

È l’agosto del 1938. Jean Marc Montjean comincia a narrare la storia che ha condizionato tutta la s
Trevanian channels John Fowles, specifically the 1965 The Magus. like Gwen Stefani channeling Kelis, this work is a thematic / tonal repetition of a better prior work. the 'mad girl' ; the 'aged wise father figure'; the interplay between modern culture and ancient myth.... well, I don't want to get into spoiler territory so I'll just say, read The Magus. better, more complicated, and written some two decades earlier...

however, I still have the book ranked at a (low) 4. even the imitation of true
I can appreciate the readability of this tome, and at certain points I did find myself actually intrigued. But in the final analysis this book was extremely hackneyed and embarrassing. The hopelessly convoluted ending suggested a drawing room drama satire as performed by the ensemble of The Carol Burnett Show. And not because it was funny - but because it was idiotic. I am stunned by all the 5-star reviews. Jesus Christ!
Jorge Jaramillo Villarruel
Este libro atípico, de ambiente bucólico, apacible, que parece una novela romántica, casi rosa, se convierte en una pesadilla terrible y oscura conforme uno va desentrañando el misterio que rodea a Katya y su familia.

Gracias a este libro, comprendí algo fundamental para mi oficio de Psicólogo: Algunos seres se vuelven locos para no volverse locos.
Gerald Kinro
Beautiful writing. Trevanian effectively uses the language of another period so that it flows. For me, however, the plotting was lacking. There was too much dialog to move the story instead of action. Hence, I felt little emotion during the read. The kickboxing scene was great, though.
Amazing. Tantalizing. Intriguing. Haunting. Heartbreaking.
This story and writing style is beautiful. The way the story winds around and comes back to the finish is what writing is all about. So very happy to have picked up this book. Don't miss reading this author.
Recommended by co-worker at Banana Republic Bleecker St store.

The story: a doctor who gets involved with Katya and her family, refugees from Paris.

He finds that Katya took that name after she was raped. Her original name was Hortense. After the rape, Hortense goes out to shoot the rapist.

The shocks of the rape and subsequent shooting are so deep that she takes on another personality - Katya. She begins to wear only white clothing.

A second shock brought upon by Jean-Marc, the doctor, forces her i
Umut Gökbayrak
Hayatımda okuduğum en özel kitaplardan birisi. Zekice tasarlanmış karakterler, tasvirler, mükemmel diyaloglar bu kitapta bulacağınız şeylerden sadece bir kaçı. Sade bir aşk hikayesi gibi görünen hikaye ilerleyen sayfalarda inanılmaz bir tempoya kavuşuyor. Aradan yıllar geçse dahi unutamayacağıma eminim.
  • Millroy the Magician
  • Puslu Kıtalar Atlası
  • The Moment She Was Gone
  • Luke And Jon
  • Aramızdaki En Kısa Mesafe
  • Cehennem Çiçeği (Alper Kamu, #2)
  • Şimdiki Çocuklar Harika
  • Prince Ombra
  • August
  • Matmazel Noraliya'nın Koltuğu
  • Bir Dinozorun Anıları
  • Palace of Justice (Aristide Ravel, #2)
  • Aylak Adam
"Trevanian" was the pen name of American author Dr. Rodney William Whitaker (12 June 1931-14 Dec 2005). He wrote in a wide variety of genres, achieved best-seller status, and published under several names, of which the best known was Trevanian. From 1972 to 1983, five of his novels sold more than a million copies each. He was described as "the only writer of airport paperbacks to be compared to Zo ...more
More about Trevanian...

“İtiraf ruha iyi gelir, Montjean. Ruhu boşaltır, yeni günahlar için yer hazırlar.” 5 likes
“Dedikodu bizim kadınlarımıza günahın tadını çıkarma olanağı verir. Kendi işlemeyecekleri, işleyemeyecekleri günahlar. Çünkü onları cesaretsizlikleri, hayal güçlerinin eksikliği ve fırsatsızlık engelliyor. Biz de bu eksikliklere namus diyoruz.” 2 likes