Start by marking “New Tricks (Andy Carpenter Series, #7)” as Want to Read:
New Tricks (Andy Carpenter Series, #7)

New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  2,549 Ratings  ·  261 Reviews
Andy Carpenter gains possession of an adorable Bernese puppy whose owner was brutally murdered. Few can rival Andy's affection for dogs, and he will do whatever it takes to insure that this little pup doesn't fall into the wrong hands. However, his playful new friend is valued by several people, many of whom are willing to resort to violence to get what they want. It will ...more
Published August 6th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about New Tricks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Tricks

Freda Malone
Mar 23, 2016 Freda Malone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
David Rosenfelt is always going to be a favorite. I will like some of his books more than others but he will always have my loyalty. I’ve asked Mr. Rosenfelt to include dogs more in his books and it looks as though he was a few steps (books) ahead of me on that subject. *chuckling*

New Tricks has a Bernese Mountain puppy as the star in this book. The Timmermans are a prominent family, having the father, Walter, who is a scientist as well as a show dog handler. A potential champion Bernese puppy n
Joanne Moyer
After a couple of cases involving dogs, Andy Carpenter has gained the title of The Dog Lawyer and when a custody case comes up concerning a Bernese Mountain puppy, the judge gives Andy temporary custody until the case is decided. Things becomes more involved when the dog's owner and his wife are killed and a number of people come forward demanding custody of the puppy. Andy finds himself defending the son of the owner for murder and for custody of Waggy the dog.

This was a book I pulled off the s
Ellen
"New Tricks" by David Rosenfelt.

This is a new series and author for me. I chose this book because of the author's inclusion of dogs in the story.

Andy Carpenter is an attorney but not your usual attorney. that is Andy represents dogs! In this case Andy is representing a Burmese mountain puppy. It seems the pups owner has been murdered which has thrown the little pup into an all out custody battle.

But ...there's more to it than just another custody battle over a dog...much more and it involves mo
Lexie Wall
Apr 20, 2012 Lexie Wall rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book "New Tricks" by David Rosenfelt is an excellent story. It not only puts you on the edge of your seat wondering about a mysterious murder, but the author, David, also throws in some romance to get the people going. If you love dogs, mysteries, romance, and a great sence of humor,I highly reccommend this book. The main character, Andy Carpenter, basically narrates the story from his point of view, and I tell you, he and I have the same sence of humor! Although once in a while you may come ...more
Kathy
Apr 27, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andy Carpenter is a dog-loving multi-millionaire defense attorney in my hometown of Paterson, New Jersey. He has a sarcastic wit and crime-solving buddies that include his long-distance girlfriend, his partner attorney who dispenses free legal aid from a Laundromat, a computer hacker, a big, quiet, scary dude named Marcus, an FBI-agent, a reporter at the local paper, a local cop and a couple who run a local dog rescue organization. Throw in a crotchety judge named "Hatchet" who starts this story ...more
Marcia
Aug 05, 2016 Marcia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle, x2014
Another wonderful entry in the Andy Carpenter series. I love the way these characters are growing, and that is probably more intriguing to me than the mysteries themselves.

Opening lines:
"Andy Carpenter, Lawyer to the Dogs." That was the USA Today headline on a piece that ran about me a couple of months ago. It was a favorable story overall, but the headline was obviously designed to make a humorous comparison between me and those celebrity attorneys who are often referred to as "lawyers to the s
Mary (BookHounds)
Where has this series been hiding? This is my first book by this author and I am going to go back and read all of the catalogue. Normally, I am all about reading series in order, but I picked up right away on all of the recurring characters. The writing is spectacular and you feel like you are watching a movie rather than reading the words.

Andy Carpenter, our hero lawyer who rescues Golden Retrievers is someone you would like to have as a neighbor, well, all except that he tends to bring what l
Dorie
Aug 08, 2009 Dorie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
I always enjoy David Rosenfelt's books. He writes with a simple humor but always with an intriguing mystery at the heart that you have difficulty figuring out until he end. And his love of dogs always shines through his stories. In this one, defense attorney Andy Carpenter is in the unique postition of resolving a custody fight for a Burnese mountain dog puppy. The puppy belonged to the recently murdered Walter Timmerman, a prominent man of wealth. Walter's wife and son are now fighting for cust ...more
Pat C.
Aug 23, 2014 Pat C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Andy and Tara Carpenter, Laurie Collins, the love of Andy’s life, Willie Miller, the happy go lucky black belt dog lover, Marcus Clark, the monosyllabic bodyguard and investigator extraordinaire, Pete Stanton, the spend happy (as long as it’s Andy’s money he’s spending), lieutenant, Vince Sanders, the grumpy journalist, Waggy, cute Bernese puppy, Edna the lazy secretary/crossword puzzle doyenne, Kevin, the hypochondriacal brilliant legal mind, Sam, the song talking hacker accountant, and ...more
Sue
Apr 16, 2013 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, animals
Looking for an enjoyable, but quick and easy read? Love dogs? Enjoy mysteries? Then look no further; the Andy Carpenter series is for you! In this particular story, Andy Carpenter, aka Lawyer to the Dogs, is representing a Bernese mountain dog puppy in a custody fight. It seems that someone would rather have puppy dead than see him fall into the "wrong" hands. But who? Andy must protect the puppy (apparently, there are no canine witness protection programs), discover the would-be killer's identi ...more
Melissa
Apr 03, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Andy Carpenter is back and just as great always. He gets called back from his time off for a weird case and its one he can't say no to. To his disappointment Mrs. Timerman and her stepson are fighting for custody of her recently deceased husband's dog.

I really enjoyed listening to New Tricks. Andy Carpenter's skills as a dog lawyer are always remarkable and then you can't help but fall in love with his clients. This book was fast but well paced and left you wondering what would happen until abo
Lindsay
This was another excellent book by a great writer!

I enjoyed the twists and turns this plot took.

The one thing I did notice about the book that I was a little disappointed about was that there seemed to be way more focus on the dog and way less about defending a guy for murder. This irritated me a little as it feels like this author should still keep this character mostly in law scenarios.

That being said I still really loved the book and would recommend it to anyone who loves law, mysteries or do
Kristy Budner
Nov 03, 2013 Kristy Budner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andy Carpenter does it again! Another dog for a client! The dog's owner was brutally murdered and Andy has to find out who the next rightful owner of Waggy is. But there's a murder to the story so Andy's work is not done until the case is solved. Of course, he gets a little help from his own dog, Tara, as well as his friends Vince, Sam, Pete, Willie and his girlfriend Laurie. All the characters are there and the plot is good. Don't miss this one.
Alan Livingston
OK, so my intention was to make it through the entire Andy Carpenter series, but I think I need a break. Even the curve-balls in the plot are becoming predictable, and that's not good. I enjoyed there being even more dog in this story than the previous series books. When I assess which of all this series to recommend at the peril of all the others, this may make the cut. For now, though, I'll have to move on.
Manvacamp2000
Jan 01, 2014 Manvacamp2000 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosenfelt is my new favorite writer. You have to listen to one of his on audio before reading the rest so you get that twangy New York 'voice' when reading these books.

That being said, as a dog lover, he brings a great perspective to the mystery genre in a vein like Lilian Jackson Braun's 'Cat Who' series. If you found that series and the characters a little too 'cat', then you'll find this a series right in the correct 'dog' perspective.
Sandy
Nov 20, 2013 Sandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook: This was the 7th book in the Andy Carpenter series. I never want his books to end, he is so sarcastic and so funny, I just want them to go on forever. I'm not looking forward to the day when I read the last book in the series. This guy is seriously funny. He is also on my Facebook page and I think that I laugh at every post! Love David Rosenfelt!
Donna Mcnab
Jul 09, 2013 Donna Mcnab rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The papers are now calling Andy Carpenter "The lawyer to the dogs" due his latest courtroom antics involving dogs. When Walter Timmerman is murdered, Andy is put in charge of deciding whether his pup, 7 month old Bertran II, better known as Waggy, should be handed over to the widow, Diana, or the son, Steven. Again this all makes for an entertaining read with many plot twists.
Diane
Aug 11, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is it about New Jersey? Another book set in New Jersey full of great one-liners. And the 'sleuth' is an attorney who besides being quite a wiseass, can afford to pick his cases and seems to only pick cases involving dogs.
Anthony
Oct 28, 2013 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story about a custody fight over a dog. Since I was once one of the crazy dog-show-people, the type that get mentioned in this book, I have an inside knowledge of what goes on with show dogs. Some of the evidence planting was highly predictable, but all in all a good page turner.
Caroline
May 11, 2014 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this on audio. LOVE the books, the writing, the series, the sense of humor portrayed by the main character. I also appreciate that the stories revolve around dogs! Looking forward to making my way through the rest of the series!
Susy
Mar 12, 2014 Susy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, a fun read by Rosenfelt. I've come to like the characters and find the books a quick read - even for me - and an enjoyable way to spend my plane rides.
Janet
Jun 29, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio book format. Love the reader! Great jokes and laugh out loud moments. Complicated story line with deep character drama.
Christy
Apr 19, 2014 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Rosenfelt! My ninth one I have read by him and I am going to keep going until I get closer to his latest book.
Elaine McNeely
May 17, 2014 Elaine McNeely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the Andy Carpenter series

Fun read with a good mix of mystery and humor. I was able to guess who did it early in the book but later thought I was wrong.
Thelma
Dec 13, 2013 Thelma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was average. I should have written the review right after reading it, because the story and characters are very vague in my memory after only two days. That pretty much says it all.
Jim
Another fun mystery with more dogs. Better than the last, although the end was a bit too Perry Mason.
Karen
Aug 11, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
Another fun loving dog involved case for Andy with a few surprises thrown in for all those around him.
Anne
Aug 16, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kay, Buddy
Shelves: mystery
A funny blend of cozy and legal thriller featuring Andy Carpenter and his golden lab, Tara. The great one-liners remind me of Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar and Robert Crais's Elvis Cole.
Martin
Feb 25, 2014 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't get enough of the "Andy Carpenter" series from David Rosefelt! This book did not disappoint! It held me all the way to the last line!
Aug 10, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book I read from this author. I enjoyed this book tremendously. It had humor, suspense and emotion. If you have had dogs in your life, you will enjoy this book. Recommend this author.
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #5)
  • Hell Hole (John Ceepak Mystery, #4)
  • Trail Of Blood (Theresa MacLean #3)
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Blind Bloodhound Justice
  • A Farewell to Legs (Aaron Tucker Mystery #2)
  • Gun Shy (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #3)
  • Hades
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By
More about David Rosenfelt...

Andy Carpenter (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
  • First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter #4)
  • Dead Center (Andy Carpenter #5)
  • Play Dead (Andy Carpenter #6)
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • One Dog Night (Andy Carpenter #9)
  • Leader of the Pack (Andy Carpenter #10)
  • Unleashed (Andy Carpenter #11)