Chimera (The Korsak Brothers #1)

Chimera (The Korsak Brothers #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,403 ratings  ·  143 reviews
What makes us human? What makes us unique? And what makes us kill? Ten years ago, Stefan Korsak's younger brother was kidnapped. Now a rising figure in the Russian mafia, Stefan has finally found Lukas. But Lukas is now a trained, genetically-altered killer who his creators want back. Saving Lukas may be easier than surviving him.
Published June 1st 2010 by Roc (first published May 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Chimera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chimera

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
When I picked up an urban fantasy novel by this author called Nightlife, I had no idea then how big a fan I would become of her writing. Since then, she’s been an autobuy for me, because of my love for Cal and Nik Leandros, and how Ms. Thurman managed to show the depths and the power of the relationship between siblings. With Chimera, she does it yet again. One might be encouraged to dismiss this book about a man’s quest to find his brother who was stolen from his family ten years ago a rehash,...more
Rane
May 28, 2011 Rane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fan of Cal Leandros novels
Shelves: keeper, urban-fantasy
After reading Cal Leandros book #1 Nightlife, I came to truly love Rob Thurman's style of writing and quickly ate up Nightlife and turned my sights on Chimera.

Russian Mafia + Scifi elements + two great leads/brothers + action action = WIN! This book read like a scifi action thriller movie that it made it hard to really walk away from this book or even trying to sleep without wanting to peek at just one more page...

Stefan Korsak saw his brother taken ten years ago. To this day, Stefan still ho...more
LiteraryLover
I was a little worried about this book since I love Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros series to itty bitty pieces. However, I wasn't impressed with her Trickster book. Thankfully, I thought it was definitely the same caliber as her Cal books.
It starts off where you meet Stefan, a young man who's father was involved with the Russian mafia and soon followed in his fathers footsteps. He hasn't exactly climbed very high in the ladder though and does simple bodyguard duty for a local boss in Florida. But w...more
Ami
4.5 stars!!!
I fell in love with Rob Thurman's Cal and Nico Leandros series, because, for the life of me, I cannot remember ever reading a series about brothers with the intese of love like this one (which of course, make people always connect it to the type of brotherly love from the Winchester brothers). When I read the summary of Chimera, I cannot NOT try it as well. It IS about brothers (again)

And OMG, this one just blows me away. I have to admit that I struggle a bit with the writing in Cal...more
Callista
There are some similarities to the author’s other novels, but the story is well-executed. There are some elements that are a little bit reminiscent of The Bourne Identity and X-Men with a dash of The Island, which is not at all a bad thing in my opinion. I have a soft spot for this type of story, anyway; I rather like road trips, and I always wanted an older brother. I enjoyed the plot even though I wasn’t terribly surprised by a lot of it…until the final couple of twists hit me from the side.
T...more
Cathy
This book was a bit different than most of the books I've been reading lately. Even though Thurman is a fantastic urban fantasy author, and this book had some UF elements, it's really much more of a combo character study/buddy road trip. One consistent thing about Thurman though is that she writes some seriously obsessed older brothers (and a sister in her Trixa books). In this story, when Stephan was 14 he lost his 7 year-old adored little brother in a kidnapping and he has dedicated his life t...more
Holly McLaughlin
I was already a fan of Thurman's other books, both the Cal Leandros series and her Trixa one. I was looking forward to this book, but I didn't know that it was THE book I have been waiting for and my absolute favorite release so far this year.

Holy crap, where to start? The characters? The plot? The dread I felt as I burned through the last half and approached the end, because that meant there was less book to read?

I love her Cal Leandros series, I truly do, but so this is my favorite book from...more
Hali Sowle
Rob Thurman does brother stories really well, her Cal Leandros books are a study in brotherly ties and what one brother will do to protect another. This is another take on that theme, this time there are no overt supernatural creatures, just the Russian Mafia and a brilliant psychopath. Stephan dreams about the night his brother Lukas was taken from him 10 years before, and has never stopped searching for him since, despite the fact that his father seems to have. Not that he sees his father anym...more
M—
Save yourself some time. Chimera is a rehash of the Nightlife books with two tiny differences: the story is told from the perspective of the older brother this time, and the setting is urban scifi instead of urban fantasy. Aside from those details, Stefan and Michael "Lukas-oops-not-really" Korsak is Niko and Cal Leandros all over again, up to and including the older brothers' identical bodyguard jobs, the snarky younger-brother-vibe humor, and the being constantly on the run. I've enjoyed sever...more
DM
Hm. I wanted to like this, because I like all of Thurman's other books. I can't say I exactly hated it, but I lost interest in it very quickly. The science fiction elements didn't really seem to have much of a presence - Stefan could have been rescuing his brother from a perfectly mundane human trafficking ring and it wouldn't have changed much of anything. It seemed like a whole lot of nothing happened from beginning to end, just two guys on the road snarking at each other, and I got sick of th...more
Cheryl
Chimera is the story of a Stefan, a man who has been haunted by the kidnapping of his younger brother, Lukas, when Stefan was 14 and his brother was seven. In the 10 years since, Stefan has worked as a bodyguard in the Russian mafia in Florida. All of the money and resources he has, due to his father’s own career in the mafia, have been used trying to find Lukas. When a tip seems to pay off, Stefan breaks into a guarded compound to break his brother out. The rest of the book deals with Stefan an...more
Kassa
For ten years Stefan has searched for his missing brother Lukas. Kidnapped on Christmas, Stefan is convinced he’s at fault and can’t stop looking for his younger brother. Consumed by guilt and fueled by love, Stefan finally gets a clue to Lukas’ whereabouts. But when Stefan manages to rescue Lukas, he realizes his troubles have just begun. Lukas isn’t anything like the brother Stefan knew and possesses powerful and scary talents. Although Stefan won’t let anything stop him from protecting Lukas...more
Krista (One Love) (Critical)
Soooo, I love this book. Now, that doesn't mean it's a great book, because it isn't. Despite this, couldn't stop myself from enjoying it, and I didn't want to.

I adore both main characters, Stefan and Michael, and their relationship was a beautiful thing to watch grow. Stefan comes from a family from, well, the mafia. He does NOT act like it at all. He's very nice and almost soft, even. His determination to find his brother really endeared him to me.

For me, things didn't start to get interesting...more
Schnaucl
Carol. [All cynic, all the time]
Enjoyable. Themes of good/evil, nature/nurture and family run through the book, usually without becoming heavy handed. Stefan is more or less a flawed character, a bodyguard for a member of the Russian mafiya, and no stranger to violence. We quickly learn his devoted family side as he meets with Saul, a man he hired to find his younger brother Lukas. Saul locates him, and he and Stefan manage a rescue. Most of the rest of the book is Lukas and Stefan on a road trip, looking for somewhere safe. T...more
April Steenburgh
This is one of those rare times where I desperately hope a book is a one shot (an ever so rare occurrence in the Urban/Fantasy genre). The book is perfect as it stands, and I am happy where it left the characters. That, again, not does happen very often.

If you are familiar with Thurman's work, you will recognize a familiar brotherly dynamic at play (a fun, snarky, fantastic brotherly dynamic) but that is where any similarity with previous work ends. In Chimera the reader finds itself in a soothi...more
Louis
"Chimera" is the first book that I have read from Rob Thurman and it did not disapoint. Ten years earlier Stephan Korsak had his brother kidnapped while they were riding horses and ever since he has felt guilt that he could not protect his younger brother from being taken. He is now twenty four and he continued the search for his brother Lukas. In order to pay for the search he has turned to the family business, which was part of the Russian Mafiya.

Finally the search has produced some results...more
Lady Dawn
Chimera is about Russian mafia member Stephen who for the last 10 years has been on an unstoppable manhunt to find his brother Lucas who was assumed, by him, kidnapped at the age of 7.
As it says in the synapses, Lucas is found. But things don't, and are not, exactly going as Stephen had planned.
While on the run from those who kidnapped Lucas and trying to hide from mafia as well they meet some interesting characters along the way, loose a lot of money, gain a sidekick, and steal a good bit of...more
Fiona
I read this book because I'm a bit of a fan of the author's Cal Leandros series. I guess the best thing I can say about this book is that it was interesting enough to me to finish.

The main issue I had with it was that Stefan's POV was written so like Cal's... Not only does this seem very unimaginative on the author's part, but that POV style has always been the thing I liked least in Cal's books as well. I find it to be overwritten, repetitive, clichéd, annoying, and sometimes offensive. My eye...more
smexys_sidekick (Tori-Smexybooks)
Favorite Quote:
"What? Your family. That doesn't mean your obligated by law to love each other".
"What's not to love? He's my brother."

From Rob Thurman comes a thrilling Sci Fi thriller that questions humanity and the lengths those will go to alter it. Ten years ago Stefan Korsak's little brother was kidnapped. No one knows who or what took him, but Stefan has never forgotten him.

As a rising figure in the Russian mob; his contacts have finally paid off. He has found Lukas. But soon Stefan realiz...more
L-D
Stefan is the prince of a Russian Mafiya. Working at the bottom as a regular bodyguard, he has dedicated his life to finding his brother, Lukas, who was abducted at the age of 7. Blaming himself for talking Lukas into sneaking out to ride horses, although it's not the life he would've chosen, Stefan works for the Mafiya in order to make the money he needs to continue his search. When he finally gets a break and locates a boy with one brown and one blue eye like his brother, he puts a plan into a...more
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
Thought-provoking read with strong character development.

The initially awkward relationship between Stefan and his long-lost brother strengthens and draws the reader in as the story progresses.

Unfortunately, this is the only aspect of the novel that I found entertaining.

It lacked excitement and is set at a slow pace where the mystery unfolds through asking questions as opposed to taking any action.

By the story's conclusion, I found myself intrigued enough by Michael's character to continue on...more
Amy
Feb 08, 2014 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
The book had a lot of ups and downs with me. It starts off super slow. It literally would put me to sleep for the first 60 or so pages (which is why I read it before bed).

But after 60 pages... holy crap does it get exciting! So much starts to happen and the action really picks up. Stephan and Michael's relationship starts to develop as they race for their lives to try and find safety. It is a really intense read with lots of action, betrayal, and real bro-mance.

Seriously with the bro-mance, th...more
Lori Whitwam
Thurman is never, ever a bad read. This shift of gears from the paranormal/urban fantasy world of the Leandros brothers covers more technological reasons for extraordinary human abilities, and they're good ones. Fast paced, enough history and science to keep it interesting, a run for their lives, and a cataclysmic finale with unexpected revelations... hoping for a sequel.
Miki Habryn
Meh. Not quite bad enough to stop reading, and short enough to finish for lack of anything better to do. Entirely character-driven, a touch of suspense and violence, and a well-telegraphed plot twist wrapping up a lacklustre climax and lead-in to a potential sequel. Don't pass up the chance to floss your cat instead.
Katherine
As with all of her other books, I fell deeply in love with this new start to a series. The Korsak brothers bring to question how far you would go for family and what becomes of a person when that family is ripped away. Alternately heart-breaking and joyous (often within the same page for these two) I ate this book up and had to spend the last ten pages on my own as I sobbed.
In the opening pages of the next book in this series Rob Thurman apologizes to her characters for all she does to them. And...more
Kaje Harper
This book is very reminiscent in voice of the Cal and Niko books. With a new story, I am once again intrigued and willing to take the journey, despite the familiarity. I liked the plot, the underlying concepts and the twist.
Phyllis
Stayed up to 1:30 a.m. to finish this book. Loved it from start to finish. Stefan Korsak is a thug in the Russian-American mafia. He has only one purpose in life. Find the younger brother who had been kidnapped ten years ago. All his money goes to the search. Everyone else gave up on his brother years ago, including their mafia boss father. But Stefan is not going to fail his brother. But when he finally finds his little brother, Stefan discovers a stranger. Lukas has been the victim of a sinist...more
Christine (AR)
More of everything I read Thurman for, in a new package. Genetic mutant as opposed to half-demon, Russian mobster instead of American ninja, but basically obsessive brothers in danger. Loved it.
Lin
"Hope was a four letter word all right; the most profane I'd ever heard"

The ending tore me up, really it did.
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Dog Days (Dog Days, #1)
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Ghost Finders, #1)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Spellcrash (Webmage, #5)
  • Blood Blade (Skinners, # 1)
  • Alien Taste (Ukiah Oregon, #1)
  • Dead Matter (Simon Canderous, #3)
  • Bleak History
  • Killbox (Sirantha Jax, #4)
  • State of Decay (Revivors, #1)
  • Hidden (Northern Waste, #2)
  • Dark Edge of Honor
Rob Thurman is currently writing three series for Penguin Putnam's imprint ROC FANTASY, as well as a brand-new mainstream series for Simon & Schuster's POCKET BOOKS.
Rob has also written for a Charlaine Harris & Toni L.P. Kelner Anthology, WOLFSBANE AND MISTLETOE. This year, Rob contributed a post-apocalyptic, "grim" faerie tale Western to the anthology, COURTS OF THE FEY.

Rob's work is dark...more
More about Rob Thurman...
Nightlife (Cal Leandros #1) Deathwish (Cal Leandros #4) Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2) Madhouse (Cal Leandros #3) Roadkill (Cal Leandros #5)

“Good Samaritans: Truth, justice and the American way–for them it wasn't only a comic book code; it was a way of life. it was admirable, courageous, and inconvenient as shit. -Stefan, CHIMERA” 14 likes