Start by marking “The Sacred Shore (Song of Acadia, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Sacred Shore (Song of Acadia, #2)

The Sacred Shore (Song of Acadia #2)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,972 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Published February 1st 2000 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Shore

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“In This Intimate Historical Epic, the Heart-wrenching Dilemmas of The Meeting Place Come to Rest on...The Sacred Shore
Oceans and circumstances have forced families apart. For the banished French Acadians drifting in exile, the shore means safety--though it is a safety at a terrible price. For the lonely British nobleman, the shore holds a single chance to secure his legacy. For Andrew and Catherine Harrow, the shore marks a tragic separation.
An extraordinary set of journeys a
Olivia
Oct 04, 2016 Olivia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
No, I haven't read this one as many times as the first. No, it isn't as good. But, yes, it still is pretty wonderful. I love all the spiritual lessons in this one. So chocked full with so many good things.

Eighteen years have passed since the last book. Anne and Nicole have grown up. Their parents have dreamed of a reunion, but they do not know if it will every come to pass. Andrew's brother, Charles Harrow, comes to visit and seeks a heir.

Some might call this story cliche and coincidental, but
Traci
It's been so hard to concentrate on books lately and I've felt really bad because I wanted to finish this one, but there's been so much going on. And on top of that, I had to get this one as EPUB when I don't have a nook! Unfair!

Anyway, this book is about Antoinette and Elspeth, all grown up. Anne (born Antoinette Robichaud) in Acadia is a well rounded, happy child who may or may not already know the full story of her origins; it's never made clear exactly when she's told. The story doesn't beg
Cheryl
Feb 27, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I didn't care for this one. It was extremely preachy and full of plotholes and poor character development. As if it weren't enough to have one character questioning their faith and "feeling empty" and adrift, they had to have two characters. On top of that, I found the character development suffered because of the forced soul searching. Charles went immediately from being wealthy, bitter, arrogant and entitled to being unsure of himself and his goals and feeling impoverished for no apparent reas ...more
Yaz *The Reading Girl*
This book was the first book I read from the series. I was going through my grandmas old closet and room in Puerto Rico looking for some old interesting book to read. When I go back to my room my grandma is there with two books: The Sacred Shore and The Birth Right. I ask her what they are and she says they are these books my mom and two aunts read when they were young and she told me that since she knew I loved reading she knew I would enjoy them. Of course i doubted this seeing that they were ...more
Nadine Keels
Aug 15, 2014 Nadine Keels rated it it was amazing
Thoughts on the entire series.

With these novels, I joined the ranks of readers who know what it is to be in the midst of a series, waiting, even with bated breath, for the next book in the series to be published.

I appreciate the style and language that Bunn clearly brought into this co-written historical fiction saga with Oke. I remember being totally engrossed and on edge during a certain crucial stretch in The Meeting Place and was floored by the unembellished end to that nerve-racking rush: “
Amy
Aug 27, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
I am so surprised by how much I am drawn into this series. What I do like about this author is that she quickly gets into the depth of the characters, the plot moves swiftly, and there is not a moment of boredom. She could very easily have made these into longer novels if she had expanded more on the setting and time period and history, but that's okay. I forgive her, because the story was so captivating.
Krista Wayment
Sep 16, 2011 Krista Wayment rated it really liked it
My Rating/Reviewing MO

This is the sequel to The Meeting Place. I liked The Meeting Place better than this book. But it was still very good. And it answers all the questions that were left at the end of The Meeting Place!

A good read charged with emotion!
Helen Potter
Oct 29, 2016 Helen Potter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E-reader Historic / Christian based story

This was one of the best books I've read. It's a follow up to Song of Acadia. It follows what happened in the last 18 years of the Harrow family & Robichaud families. The hardships, love of God. Also both trying to find each other since they swapped their baby daughters to get Antoinette Anne Robichaud help from an English doctor & Elsapeth Harrow. Read on to find out what as happened since the villagers of Minas were forced to leave Acadia, now N
Peggy N
Mar 26, 2014 Peggy N rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who would like to know more about Acadian History
Recommended to Peggy by: Read first of the series
The Sacred Shore is the second book in the Song of Acadia series by Janette Oke. This book follows the lives of two now 18 year-old young ladies exchanged in infancy by the expulsion of the Acadian people from Nova Scotia. Nicole has grown up in the home of Henri and Louise an Acadian clan leader and his devoutly Christian wife. She had moved with her family to Louisiana near what is now Opelousas, Louisiana. She never knew until recently that her birth parents were an English Officer and his wi ...more
Rachel
Louise and Catherine are grown, with grown daughters and each a family of her own. Though their friendship and love for one another must be at a distance, and though the years and time have not been without it's dangers, their faith has not weakened. But with the difficulties surrounding their mysterious childhood, their daughters “Anne” and “Nicole” are searching for a like faith in their parents God, for answers, and for healing and wholeness once more. A story of two families, woven together ...more
Kay Roberts
Sep 05, 2016 Kay Roberts rated it really liked it
This was the first of Janette Oke's books that I have read. It has a very strong Christian background and it tells a tale of Acadians, French protestant settlers from the Nova Scotia area of Canada. The British drove the Acadians from their settlements. This story is set in the time when many Acadians have settled in the bayous of Louisiana. Before the great Acadian diaspora, a British mother offered to exchange her baby daughter for the very sick baby of an Acadian mother because a British baby ...more
Terri
Apr 26, 2016 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
18 years have passed since the Acadians were forced from what is now called Nova Scotia. Neither Louise nor Katherine know what has become of their own births daughters, but they have raised their adopted daughters as their own. Elspeth is now Nicole and has never heard of her true parentage. Antoinette was raised as Ann and was told about her true identity. Andrews older brother Charles comes to the colonies hoping to find an heir. When he learns of the switch, he sets off to find Elspeth. I'm ...more
Donna Bagby
Oct 29, 2016 Donna Bagby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
This was a heartwarming story of the two families torn apart. It comes together 18 years later. Both girls are now young women going through their different lives. Nicole has had to reject her love while Anne is about to be wed. Because of circumstances, Nicole begins the search for not only her birth parents but something much deeper. It is also a journey of different lives as they find themselves and God.
My favorite part of the story is when Nicole is told about here true heritage. She goes th
Melinda
Jun 06, 2013 Melinda rated it it was amazing
Excellent continuation of the Meeting place...Loved it. If you are wanting a book that will keep you drawn into a good storyline. This is a good choice. There is good load of soul searching with the characters...expect alot of tears...I mean alot!! If you are one to read in public and not afraid to show your emotions as well...you'll do fine with this one...if not read it on a good rainy-curl-up-on-the-couch-day.
I enjoyed both settings with this one!! :)

LadyS
Jan 03, 2013 LadyS rated it really liked it
Simply a sweet book. I love the message that we cannot control some things but God gives us the freedom of choice that we can go through uncontroable circumstances with him. The choice is clear, everything else in the world will always leave one longing for more except the life that Jesus Christ offers. THe main character was able to discover this.
Near the end the book got very weepy (characters within the book were constantly crying) but i guess it was realistic given the situation.
Shannon
Jul 27, 2014 Shannon rated it liked it
Please don't pay attention to my 3-star rating. I'm sure this is a 5-star book. I'm simply not a true fan of religious fiction. Anyone who is will undoubtedly find this a worthy book. The imagery is wonderful in this book as well as its predecessor. There are quite a few lines worth highlighting, and it's uplifting. I read this for my Great Aunt, and it's not my normal reading fare. I base my rating on my personal presences only. It's an excellent book.
 Mummy Cat Claire
I continue to like this series. I think this book is my favorite. It was the most exciting and interesting of them all. Each woman's life continues in this second book. One woman was forced to relocate with her family to Louisiana. I loved how the author incorporated facts into this book.
The mix up added each interest for me. Again, this is a Christian author and there is a lot of God talk.
Amy Riccio
Feb 21, 2014 Amy Riccio rated it it was amazing
Mom
Sep 23, 2014 Mom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was anxious to start this one in the series after the cliffhanger from the first. Larry says I don't read a book, I devour it. He was gone most of the afternoon so I had several hours to curl up with this good book. How exciting it would be to travel upon the seas in ships that were built back in this era. Pretty scary also. I'm ready for book 3 :)
Ruth
Oct 06, 2015 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The follow up to "The Meeting Place". It details the lives of the daughters that were exchanged by two mothers. It was only intended to be for a few days so one could receive medical treatment but events caused the families to be separated by 18 years. It was an interesting look at how we are shaped by our choices and how the most tragic situation can be for a far greater good.
Whitney White
Sep 03, 2016 Whitney White rated it it was amazing
This series is amazing. I love the history, especially because that period in time is generally glossed over in history books. I learned so much about Acadia in these books, and the writing was fabulous, as always.
Shannon
The first book had a better balance between religion and story than this in my opinion. The religious content was not offensive in any way — it just dominated the novel — leaving the story to wither. It was like reading a Bible with a fluffy story attached. I don't mean to be harsh. It was well-written. It just came on too strongly for my tastes.
Rayni
I liked it. I listened to it with my mother. I don't know if I could sit down & read it though ... the jury is still out. I heard enough of the first book & Mother told me about it so I could follow this one.
Tina
May 19, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
I'm going to be reading the 3rd book from the Song of Acadia series. These simple small books are really beautifully written. I finished them with a feeling of taking away with me something profound.
Wen
Oct 24, 2009 Wen rated it it was amazing
This is the sequal to The Meeting Place. This book takes place many years after the 1st book ends. At first I was sad it did not pick up where it stopped because of the way the first book ends but was soo drawn into this book like the first and read if very quickly. Well written.
Georgianne
Oct 26, 2015 Georgianne rated it really liked it
So some say this book was too preachy and/or religious. Interesting. Too me this has been one of the most deeply spiritual series I've ever read. Genuine and without sugar coating. Which is why I love this Christian historical fiction genre! Truly a heart breaking, but also heart warming story.
Hannah
Jun 10, 2014 Hannah rated it did not like it
This book was a let-down after The Meeting Place. The story's primary focus is the British nobleman, and not the characters from the previous story. Perhaps it's just personal preference; but I found the story boring.
Sharon Paavola
Jan 19, 2014 Sharon Paavola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book in this series. I keep buying the next sequel to discover the new adventures the characters will encounter. Many spiritual truths written within as individuals grow through trials and changes.
Stephanie Guillot
Oct 19, 2014 Stephanie Guillot rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The second book in the song of Acadia series, The Sacred Shore continues the story of the families from The Meeting place - only 18 years later. Very well written,the story is engaging all the way through. I'm now eager to begin the third book of the series, The Birthright.
  • The Innocent Libertine (Heirs of Acadia, #2)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • The Rescue (The English Garden, #2)
  • The Eleventh Hour (Secret of the Rose, #1)
  • To Dream Anew (Heirs of Montana, #3)
  • A New Day Rising (Red River of the North, #2)
  • Stones of Jerusalem (The Zion Legacy, #5)
  • The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter (Gresham Chronicles #2)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Song of Acadia (5 books)
  • The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)
  • The Birthright (Song of Acadia, #3)
  • The Distant Beacon (Song of Acadia, #4)
  • The Beloved Land (Song of Acadia, #5)

“Part of learning to count my blessings is accepting that many of them I would not have chosen if” 3 likes