Mommy Tracked

Mommy Tracked

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  1,515 ratings  ·  140 reviews
Praised for her “smart, funny, sexy, and refreshingly real” novels, author Whitney Gaskell delivers a warm, witty, and wise new story of four women coping with the challenges of motherhood, men, and each other.

For Anna, Grace, Juliet, and Chloe, the idyllic town of Orange Cove, Florida, is home…but even in paradise, balancing the challenges of motherhood and life is never...more
Published August 28th 2007 by Bantam (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mommy Tracked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mommy Tracked

Jackie
This is the story of four women coping with work, babies, men, friendships, pregnancy, and a variety of other obsessions and compulsions. The women first get to know one another at a sex toy party sponsored by their mommies group -- Mothers Coming Together (“MCT”). The problems presented are real – most women will be able to relate to one or more of the characters – but the solutions are unrealistic and overly simple.
Example:
Husband: I am tired of being a stay-at-home father. You work too much a...more
Ginny
I will pay someone to take this book from me.
Heather
Perhaps I am getting pickier and have higher expectations but I felt this book was barely ok.

The book is focused on four main characters: Anna (divorcee turned commitment-phobe), Grace (slightly overweight/obsessive dieter), Juliet (work-a-holic), and Chloe (new mom/klepto).

The story revolves around their daily lives of balancing the world and children. While I can appreciate that (and am in their shoes), I feel as though the book had no point and ultimately portrayed each woman in some neurotic...more
Jodi Downs sedivy
I like how this book opened up the relationships of the 4 women. How they were close friends, but didn't know too much about each other home lives.
Judy
After finishing a rather disappointing "Mommy Lit" book, but I didn't start out with very high hopes for Mommy Tracked. I was pleasantly surprised though by the quality of the writing and the believability of the different plots. From the first chapter I felt like these were women that I could actually see myself being friends with. They were funny and flawed, but most of all, they were there for each other. Many of the conversations and situations felt very real to me. One of the character's st...more
Lissa
Reviewed by Lissa Staley
Posted August 15, 2007

Women's Fiction Contemporary | Contemporary Chick Lit

A generation ago, Mothers Coming Together may have been called Girl's Night Out, but the local Orange Cove, Florida, chapter of the organization allows mommies an excuse to have some grown up conversation and talk honestly with other women. Bonded by their common experiences, Chloe, Anna, Juliet and Grace support each other through the challenges of raising children.

Restaurant critic Anna's divo...more
Tiffanie
a story about 4 woman:
Anna a single mom who had a short relationship with her son's father when she found out she was pregnant and they decided to get married but he couldn't stay faithful. She meets a guy but she's just to afraid to commit to she don't want her son to have the childhood she did. Her mom dated many men after her father left and anna doesn't want to bring strange men around her son. but she meets a guy who is unlike any other guy and she decideds to take a chance on him.

Grace is...more
Josette
When I first began this book on CD I was immediately unimpressed. First off, I don't like the narrator. She speaks in a harsh, snippy tone and overannunciates each word to the point that she becomes really annoying. I eventually managed to overlook her voice, however, in light of the plot becoming more interesting.

The plot follows four mothers who meet through a Mothers Coming Together group, which seems to meet once a month. At first I could not say anything good about the characters. Chapter o...more
♥ Marlene♥
If I would have written this review a few years ago, I would have given this book 4 or 5 stars. I guess I am a bit spoiled now, cause I have discovered so many great books. This used to be one of my favourite kind of books. Books about women, their lives and their friendships. I love those and this one was a very decent read. The only thing I want, please life is not perfect, so don't make all the women have a good ending. All relationship struggles they go through, are solved in this book. And...more
Christy
I enjoyed this book more than Table for Seven. The characters were likable and well developed and it was fast read. All the problems these women faced were realistic and I thought how the problems were resolved was believable. I also enjoyed the friendship and dynamics between the women. There were also enough questions in the story to keep me guessing.
Casey
This was such a cute and fun book to read. I loved being able to read it from the perspective of being a mother. It made the book so much better. It was a joy to read and towards the end of the book, I just couldn't put it down. I wanted everything to resolve and everything to be okay with everyone and it just made me read faster and faster to get to the end. Reading as a mother, it made so much sense. All the things that we go through and everything that we wish we could do, etc...It made every...more
Michelle Robinson
I read this a year or so ago I didn't remember it at all until I "found" it at the library and picked it up for something new and interesting. I recognized it almost from the start.

It is a novel of women who all happen to connect or meet through hierarchy children. However being parents really has very little to do with what we learn aboutyhese women.

I like many of the characters quite a lot Anna was my favorite. However I also found Chloe to be quite compelling. I was ready to see both of the...more
Becca Moss
For the first part of the book I had a hard time keeping up with the characters, so many problems and different things going on in the ladies lives but eventually got it together and was able to identify who was who. After that, I loved the book! A great story for other mommas to be able to relate to their own situations.
Ruth
This book was an interesting look at the life of moms who try to do it all. Four moms develop a close relationship with each other. They have different profiles: one is a lawyer with a stay at home husband, another is a freelance writer whose husband is so preoccupied with doing his own activities that he is never around to help with the baby, a third is a happily married stay at home mom with a loving husband but who has issues with her body image, and the fourth is a woman who got married beca...more
Antoinette the Book Junkie
A step into the world of mommy, work, family, friends, life and all that this world involves. Love, lust, problems, pain, procrastination.

Grace is the stay at home mom with weight issues and step mommy problems.

Chloe is the young fresh face pregnant newlywed. She is very inquisitive.

Anna his a beautiful son and a hectic life. On top of all that she is re-entering the dating world.

Juliette is the high power high maintenance mother with twin daughters that she barely sees.

Gaskell puts the world o...more
Mandi Blackburn
Halfway through this book I came to terms with the fact that there was no, and never would be a plot. The story was meant to be character driven, however, the characters were well below the speed limit. As far as chick lit is concerned, it's fine. It was an easy read, and left readers with the idea that books could not produce any more troubling ideas than that of dating while having a small child.

Well enough written, and read, to pass the time sufficiently; however not well enough to be consid...more
Maryruth Endicott
Lisa
SPOILERS ahead ...

It is what it is. Heroines fun and stereotypical. Told with wit and consciousness, except of its upper middle class heteronormative biases. In the end, all characters succeed at blending some kind of work with their families, due to marvelous relationships that include growth on both married partners' parts. Oh and plus there's a perfect new boyfriend for the single mom. Why does the long-single older woman need a man to travel? Sooooo realistic, right? But I finished it! What...more
Julia
This book was a quick read but was a little graphic at times. Mostly chick lit type reading although I don't think the situations were as contrived as some reviewers implied. I think the weight, single parent , father involvement and career issues were all pretty real and not too far fetched. I identified more with the single parent in the story although I definitely have parts of my life that related to all the characters in the story. Overall, a decent and easy beach read.
Reatta Stafford
Too corney, only read 1/2...
Gina
This book was a very fluffy read. It reminded me a little of the sex and the city or lipstick jungle type story, since it was about several different females, their relationships, careers and friendship. There were some funny moments and definitely times when I could relate to the stories of a couple of the girls.

I don't know that I was sucked in to this bood and wanted more about the characters, but it was worth finishing and an entertaining light read.
Dawn
Readable story with likeable characters that will resonate with women with small kids at home. Even if you're not a mom, the story is enjoyable and a good read.

Being as I live in Palm Beach County, it's also kind of neat that Gaskell has set several of her books in Florida (specifically, Palm Beach/Martin counties) since she lives in the area as well. I've read several of her books and can't say anything bad about any of them as I've enjoyed them all.
In this entry in the "mommy chick lit" genre, four friends/moms of young children deal with different problems - a single mom re-enters the dating scene, a workaholic mom tries to balance career and motherhood, one tries to cope with new motherhood and an unhelpful husband, and one struggles with a desire to lose weight and a mean mother-in-law. The characters and their problems were a bit broadly drawn and overly easily wrapped up. But a cute enough read.
Tammie
This book was really cute and one of the better ""chick lit"" novels I have read lately. It wasn't terribly predictable nor did it take forever to get into like a few I have read recently.
I don't know if others would agree, but I could totally see as a movie. It was great how it followed the lives of four different women and was almost more like 4 shorter stories.
I would totally recommend this because I had a hard time putting it down. You'll love it!
Tasha
This was an entertaining story about 4 female friends all in different stages of motherhood and with differing backgrounds (one is a stay-at-home mom, one is a working lawyer whose firefighter husband stays home, one is a single mom, and one is a brand new mom who is just figuring things out). The story is entertaining. It's not earth shatteringly good, but if you are looking for a quick and light read, this one is worth it.
Elizabeth
I'd chalked this one up to pure fluff when I first started reading....and it didn't really rise too far above that, but it did contain real problems and good solutions. Though the problems were too easily fixed and it wrapped up way too neatly. Still, a good diversion for the mommy set.

I do still want to know what mother's club thinks that teaching it's members how to give a better blow job is a good idea? Gah!
Melissa
On audio. So far, I am entertained by the characters. One of them is an attorney who had twins and still works full time while her husband quit his firefighting job to stay home with them...so I want to see if I relate!

Not relating entirely, because I have neither the energy nor the inclination to have a crush on anyone. But, the book itself just gripped me, although parts of it were a little bit obvious I loved it.
Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)
I probably would have given this 3 stars normally, but because I read it while 22 weeks pregnant, it got an extra star. :) The stories of the 4 friends in the book just really resonated with me as I'm getting ready to greet our first baby. I found their stories to be believable and entertaining at the same time. Is this rocket science? No, but it's fun and funny chick lit, especially for mommies or mommies-to-be.
Amber
Not to take away from her other books because I am a huge fan of those as well... they had me LOL and staying up late... but Mommy Tracked has more depth. In between the hilarious predicaments, there is a truth and deepness as to what issues many moms face today. There is also so much more vividness to the details in this book. If you are a mom, this is a must read and if you're not a mom... just have fun!
Rebekah
  • Tales from the Crib
  • The Solomon Sisters Wise Up (Red Dress Ink)
  • The Pre-Nup
  • Diary of a Mad Mom-to-Be
  • Fifteen Minutes of Shame
  • Monkey Business
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
Growing up, Whitney Gaskell always wanted to become a writer. Then for some unknown reason, she went to law school. TABLE FOR SEVEN is Whitney's eighth book. She also writes the Young Adult GEEK HIGH series under the name Piper Banks.
More about Whitney Gaskell...
True Love (and Other Lies) Good Luck Testing Kate Pushing 30 Table for Seven