Start by marking “Better Off Famous?” as Want to Read:
Better Off Famous?

Better Off Famous?

Fame is awesome, right? Partying every night at the hottest clubs.Hanging with the coolest stars. Having your picture in every magazine. Yeah, that's what Annie Hoffman thought too. Until she became a celebrity.

All Annie ever wanted for her sixteenth birthday was a driver’s license and a spot at Julliard’s prestigious high school violin program. Well, she got neither. But
Published October 30th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Better Off Famous?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Off Famous?

Not in the Script by Amy FinneganThis Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. SmithStarlet's Web by Carla J. HannaL.A. Candy by Lauren ConradThe Fame Game by Lauren Conrad
YA Celebrities
34th out of 101 books — 50 voters
Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen JohnsonSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonSecrets of My Hollywood Life by Jen CalonitaTeen Idol by Meg Cabot
MPPL's YA "Express Yourself" Summer Reading 2009
34th out of 51 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

Annie Hoffman can't seem to get anything right. She can't get her driver's license, making her the only almost sixteen-year-old without one, meaning it's back to the buses. She can't get into Juilliard, since apparently she doesn't have much talent playing the violin. She can't get the guy of her dreams to notice her. And she can't get out of her stupid school with its stupid lunches.

One thing Annie can do, though, is make a t
Trisha
This is the third book I got out of the library this year, and I'm done with it. I really like Jane Mendle's writing style - it's funny and the character of Annie had me laughing a lot. I do think that her "woe is me" diva act was a bit overdramatic, but then she's a teen so she has a reasonable excuse. I was sort of assuming the paparazzi would have done something way worse to her to make her act that way with them, but then the whole point was that she was being a diva and not treating people ...more
Jamie
Sep 02, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it
Allison Kong
Nov 14, 2014 Allison Kong rated it it was amazing
The book Better off Famous? by Jane Mendle was a very interesting book to read. The author put a lot of description into the book and it made me want to keep on reading the book over and over again. The plot line is really interesting and intriguing and the characters are very cheerful, for the most part. Also, the book left a clear image in my mind when I finished it. In my opinion I really liked this book because of all of the characters and their personalities. New York, in my opinion, fit ...more
Kath
This was the second book I'd read concerning a teen that had become famous and consequently turn her life upside down and as I didn't enjoy the first, I would definitely say I was wary approaching this text. However my worries were soon forgotten as I delved into this book. It had a steady plot, was written pretty well and ended on a good note with the hope of a bright future for the main character. Pretty good 3 star book :)
Rebecca
Jul 27, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This book could have been good: the build up took a long time. The main character seemed to keep doing everything wrong, one thing after another. But the ending resolution happened way too fast compared to the build up. Suddenly everything was peachy and mistakes are fixed. Otherwise an okay book, but the ending was unrealistic.
Cocomacha
Nov 15, 2009 Cocomacha rated it it was amazing
Well, it is really a pretty good book. I kept flipping the pages wherever I went and eventually finished it in an hour. It's really good for teens and I love Annie's character where she learns from her mistakes and everything. Really good.
Emily
Dec 16, 2012 Emily rated it it was ok
The main character, Annie, is constantly referring to herself as a dork or inarticulate. Yes Annie, you are most definitely both. Congratulations! Now quit wasting time whining about these facts to others in hopes that they'll tell you otherwise. Get a dictionary and expand your vocabulary.
Mari Cuthbert
Jun 29, 2009 Mari Cuthbert rated it really liked it
It was an easy and fun read. I thought the author cleverly showed how easily it was to get caught up in the moment.
Snow
Jun 17, 2008 Snow rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-fiction
Zo'e
Dec 04, 2014 Zo'e rated it really liked it
In really liked it. It was a fun easy read and I read it in like an hour. One I could read again and I will totally be looking for more from this author in the future.
Sep 08, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
An excellent read for young adult fans. This story follows the main character from rags to riches and asks many of life's pondering questions.
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2008
Jules Lemmy
Jules Lemmy rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2014
Lesley
Lesley rated it liked it
May 29, 2010
Kyra
Kyra rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2010
Ijeoma
Ijeoma rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Mackenzie
Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2011
Delyth Mckendrick
Aug 26, 2014 Delyth Mckendrick rated it liked it
Am currently reading This right now only a few chapters in
Kirsten Joyce
Kirsten Joyce rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Liz Lenz
Jul 05, 2012 Liz Lenz rated it really liked it
Actually not half bad
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2011
Courtg
Courtg rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2010
Emma
Emma rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it did not like it
Oct 09, 2009
Abba!
Abba! rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2011
angela
angela rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2013
Myra
Myra rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • My Life Starring Mum
  • Night Fox (Hey Sunshine, #2)
  • A Hollywood Ending
  • Fancy White Trash
  • Plastic Angel
  • In the Club (The Celebutantes, #2)
  • Horizons
  • Creamy Bullets
  • Blood Moon Rising
  • The Impaler's Revenge (The Impaler Legacy, #1)
  • Never Ceese (Thirsting for Blood, #1)
  • Things That Pass for Love
  • Drawing Lessons
  • Alpha Dog
  • A Non-Blonde Cheerleader in Love (Cheerleader Trilogy, #3)
  • The Dead Guy Interviews: Conversations with 45 of the Most Accomplished, Notorious, and Deceased Personalities in History
  • Winter's Kiss: The Ex Games; The Twelve Dates of Christmas
  • Bloody Awful (Brytewood, #2)
Jane Mendle is the author of the young adult novel Better Off Famous? and Kissing in Technicolor, a novel for adults.

She is a supervisor at the University of Oregon Psychology Clinic and holds a Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Virginia. She lives in Eugene, Oregon.
More about Jane Mendle...