Start by marking “Thunder in the Mountans: The West Virginia Mine War, 1920-21” as Want to Read:
Thunder in the Mountans: The West Virginia Mine War, 1920-21

Thunder in the Mountans: The West Virginia Mine War, 1920-21

The West Virginia mine war of 1920-21, a major civil insurrection of unusual brutality on both sides, even by the standards of the coal fields, involved thousands of union and nonunion miners, state and private police, militia, and federal troops. Before it was over, three West Virginia counties were in open rebellion, much of the state was under military rule, and bombers
Published January 1st 1986 by Northcross House, Publishers (first published June 15th 1985)

I loved reading this, though not necessarily because it was incredibly well-written. The writing was compelling, I think, if you were born in Appalachia or otherwise have a deep-seated appreciation of the style of Appalachian storytelling, which is evident in the book. Irrelevant details are thrown in, and there is an slightly-odd, consistent referencing of black miners as black, when white miners are not called "white miners," but just "miners." The point of this racial specificity in some case ...more
James Crabtree
Jan 16, 2017 James Crabtree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book looks at the short conflict which took place in southwest West Virginia when violence escalated, first when private detectives in the pay of the coal companies got into a gunfight with locals in Matewan when the detectives came out to evict the families of miners trying to unionize. and then exploding when the local pro-labor constable, Sid Hatfield, was shot down on the steps of the courthouse in Welch by detectives in broad daylight as he was about to go to trial. The detectives were ...more
K. Isom
Aug 30, 2016 K. Isom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it; those who do remember history are doomed to watch it repeat itself.

This is a great read on the history of the West Virginia Mine War, well sourced. I'd known of Baldwin-Felts involvement in the Ludlow Massacre, but hadn't heard of their involvement elsewhere. If you want to understand what's made America the country it is, this book covers a very small chapter in that history, but does it thoroughly.
Wes Young
Jan 13, 2009 Wes Young rated it really liked it
This is an extremely fascinating account of something which I never even knew occured! Beyond the Hatfields and McCoys, the heart is about the union struggles against big coal corporations and the men who stopped at nothing (murders, property destruction, etc...) to quelch rebellion. The writing is better than your typical historical account too.
Hunter McCleary
Jul 25, 2015 Hunter McCleary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genealogy
Wonderful!
ix Why did West Virginia never gain wealth and stability from coal?
Why did gramps end up in west Virginia? Did he have to settle for a job in West Virginia because he did not have a degree?
xii Southern West Virginia was the union non-union frontier.
xv The character of the Appalachian coalfields.
106 Beech Creek killings of miner families
109 How non-miners responded.
Keith
Nov 10, 2007 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Insightful account of the West Virginia Mine War of 1920-21. This is an important episode in U.S. labor history, as well as an interesting portrait of Appalachia at the end of the First World War, as told [mainly:] through the press accounts of the day.. A good companion reading for anyone who's interested in John Sayles' Matewan, as Savage's book was used as a resource in the making of the film.
R.Friend
Dec 22, 2007 R.Friend rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
I just found a copy of this at a used bookstore. I remember coming across it in the early 90s when I worked at a library... for some reason, the volatile West Virginia Mine War of 1920 struck me as a fascinating story. It still does.
Debbie
Jan 25, 2013 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book was totally amazing...gave me such a look at the determination and strength of the people of the state I am proud to call home! I can think of no better words than the ones used by the author top describe the coal mine wars of 1920-21.

Oren
Aug 12, 2009 Oren rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot of history about an area where I spend a lot of time. Wonderfully researched.
Madelyn
Aug 23, 2011 Madelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Discovered this book written by an old neighbor when I was doing research this summer. It's a really fine piece of journalism.
Earl Brown
Dec 29, 2010 Earl Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of the 1920's coal mine wars in West Virginia. It is the most comprehensive book I have seen on the subject.
Ryan
Dec 30, 2007 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: West Virginians
This book taught me a lot about why my home state is how it is. If you read this and don't come away with a new hero in Two Gun Sid, well, I don't reckon there's any romance in yer soul.
Michael Todd
Michael Todd rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2015
Ben Goff
Ben Goff rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2013
Andrew Gifford
Andrew Gifford rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2010
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Nate
Nate rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2011
Randy
Randy rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Jonathon Moore
Jonathon Moore rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2009
Jdg
Jdg rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Wesley Gant
Wesley Gant rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2015
Stretch's Books
May 27, 2013 Stretch's Books rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book. True story. Read it.
Dennis Hart
Dennis Hart rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2011
D Ledsome
D Ledsome rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Melina
Melina rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
John Robinson
John Robinson rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2012
Hons
Hons rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2015
Mike Potter
Mike Potter rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Nick McGinnis
Nick McGinnis rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2007