Start by marking “The Simple Guide To A Minimalist Life” as Want to Read:
The Simple Guide To A Minimalist Life

The Simple Guide To A Minimalist Life

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  393 ratings  ·  36 reviews
From the Introduction:

The first thing to note is that this isn’t a step-by- step guide that you should follow from beginning to end.

It’s a series of guides on different areas that can help you explore a life of minimalism. There is no one single path -- yours will be different than mine, and I can’t prescribe exact steps you should take.

I share my experiences and what I’ve
Published 2009

To ask other readers questions about The Simple Guide To A Minimalist Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Simple Guide To A Minimalist Life

Leo Babauta is one of my favorite minimalists. He's so practical and unassuming.

This book gets the basics of his message all down in one place. It covers how to simplify each area of your life, starting with why, and then giving what steps to take. It's very concrete and helpful.

I love the minimalist principles: realizing you have more than enough, eliminating the excess, being content with what you have, and refraining from acquiring more. I wouldn't say I live them enough to be a true minimali
Claro, excelente libro para comenzar en esta filosofía de vida.
It was interesting to see how one person simplifies his life, in particular this is not a single man or woman - he has a family. In fact he has a large family!

I think this is great because there are many books written by singles or couples without kids and, while there is nothing whatsoever wrong with their point of view, I have kids and I appreciated reading a book by someone who does have that extra facet to their lives. Not that the book concentrated too much on that, but it does have a sect
I listened to the audio recording and felt a mixture of admiration and annoyance for the minimalist lifestyle. I can see how minimalism simplifies your life, making it more efficient, where you don't waste a lot of time. I also love the idea of focusing on one room at a time and accepting the limitations of others in choosing minimalism. But when it comes to books, more is better, disorder is in some respects, creative chaos and decoration rolled into one.
I found it very accessible and helpful. It was my first minimalist book, and I found his chapter on minimalism and parenting super helpful. I highly recommend this book anyone interested in decluttering and simplifying their life. Compared to my wife, I am a bit of a hoarder, but slowly I am letting go and getting down to the essentials.

I was also intrigued by the author uncopy writing his book. I found it very appealing that the author tries to live by the principles he espouses, but with flexi
The author sounds neurotic ("No icons on your desk top, not even the hard drive!" "Bring two pairs of underwear, socks, and shorts on a two week vacation and wash them every night in the hotel sink"). A section on veganism, justifying it as a minimalist lifestyle choice that we should all consider. Getting rid of stuff is excellent, but his example comes across as extreme, obsessive, and seems quite unpleasant.
Two stars for a few reasonable tips that would nearly all be gleanable from watching a
Jennifer Kyrnin
It's clear that Leo really loves the whole idea of minimalism and all that it might mean. I honestly think that while many of the tips and suggestions in this book are great ideas, some of them are a bit over the top. For instance, I completely agree that having as few icons as possible on my computer is a good idea. But seriously, in order to be a minimalist I have to change my background image to one in his color scheme? And speaking of color schemes, I don't agree with the idea that minimalis ...more
Krzysztof Szala
Twórczość Leo od dawna śledzę na jego blogu. Po książkę sięgnąłem, myśląc, że znajdę w niej coś więcej. Niestety - książka to dosłownie kopia bloga. No i sam autor bardzo często powtarza się na tych 100 stronach. Coś dla ludzi, którzy o minimalizmie nie wiedzą nic. Pytanie tylko czy lepiej nie zajrzeć do jakiegoś bloga, choćby samego autora ...
W końcu udało mi się zrozumieć, że minimalizm nie jest dla mnie.
Tzn. filozofia uproszczenia życia brzmi całkiem sensownie - i jest całkiem dobrze opisana w tej książce... ale jakoś wcale nie pasuje to do mojego życia i problemów. Chociaż pewne porady będą bardzo pomocne w sprzątaniu, nawet jeśli nie odmienią przy tym mojego życia:)
This book was nothing, flashy, of course. It's a great step-by-step guide to leading a simpler, more efficient life. I recommend it for people who are know that they need to get organized but don't know where to start.
I really enjoyed reading this book. It has inspired me to look again at how I view my life, my home, my time, etc. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in simplifying their life.
This book is a compilation of articles from the blog Zen Habits. No need to buy the book unless you like the feel of paper as I do. Sometimes the books says "as the picture above shows" when there is no picture. Apparently in the original web page there was a picture. The text is pulled verbatim from the web site. Other times it says I'll talk about minimalist finances later but he's already discussed them in an earlier chapter.

The book is a good start to living minimally. I've read his blog an
Les Reynolds
Great content, nice and simple. Worth a regular re-read.
Vojta Svoboda
Some notes:

"Fear less, hope more; eat less, chew more; whine less, breathe more; talk less, say more; love more, and all good things will be yours." - Swedish proverb

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"People love chopping wood. In this activity one immediately sees results." - Albert Einstein

"Too many people spend money they havent earned, to buy things they dont want, to impress people they don
Meredith Stranges
I'm not crazy about the vegetarian/vegan agenda here, and I think the author is rather hardcore in his approach. But I found a lot of inspiring ideas in this little book that I could apply myself. I'd call this recommended reading for anyone who has a general, vague discomfiture with life and feels like time is passing by, yet seems to have it all. Especially profound for early middle aged suburbanites with lots of disposable income. It's perhaps time to simplify and spend more time "doing" and ...more
Less stuff = Less stress.
David H
Leo sums it up best:
"It’s a way to escape the excesses of the world around us — the excesses of consumerism, material possessions, clutter, having too much to do, too much debt, too many distractions, too much noise. But too little meaning. Minimalism is a way of eschewing the non-essential in order to focus on what’s truly important, what gives our lives meaning, what gives us joy and value."
Karen B. Campbell
Some good tips for leading a simpler life...perhaps too simple for me!
Good intro to simplification

In his usual pragmatic style Leo talks about things which make our life complex - cluttered houses, overscheduled calendars, overstuffed closets - and provides good advice to get started on the road of simplifying your life. Good primer for newbies or a refresher for those already on the simplification path.
This'll be old news to anyone who's been following Leo for a couple years, but a good solid intro to the basics of minimalist living beyond decluttering (though thats included as well). These days I honestly prefer Tammy Strobel and Joshua Becker as having a more engaging writing style with more personality, but there's a reason Leo is so damn famous.
A nice little guide to minimalism

I laughed at the travel advice - "toiletries are available at your destination". I think toiletries are a basic need when travelling.

Very Californian - eg "Okinawans eat until they're 80% full, and they're the healthiest people on Earth", and dietary suggestions including quinoa and agave nectar
This gave me some really good perspectives on minimalism and helped me hone in on my goals a bit more -- especially the parts about work and office. I read his blog, so some of it was repeating, but I also read quite a bit of new info as well. I'm looking forward to utilizing some of the lessons learned here.
This book really carries out the philosophy of simplicity. I love this book, but I'd love it more if Leo put more time editing the content because this book contents was meant to be blog posts and ebook, and I cant click the 'link' or 'above picture' on paperback issue. #grin
Danielius Goriunovas
Ir trečią kartą skaitant šią knygą ji nuo 4 žvaigždučių pakilo į 5.

Nuostabi, trumpa, smagi skaityti ir lengva pritaikyti knyga apie minimalizmą (aš Lietuviškai linkčiau vadinti Paprastumu). Rekomenduoju.

(P.S. Debesyla taipogi rekomenduoja!)
Nick Weil
Listened to audio book. I'm never going to go "all the way" and embrace everything he suggests. But I think a lot of it makes sense. One really good thing about this book is that it contains concrete examples to follow rather than general advice.
Mallory Hall
I like everything this book had to say. Since I read his blog I don't feel like there was a lot of new information for me here so that is why only three stars. It was a nice quick, reenergizing read for a Sunday though.
This was my first minimalist book and a great introduction to the minimalist lifestyle. Yes it's very simple and objective but made me want to read more, not just his other books but to read more about minimalism.
Unexpectedly preachy, but did contain some useful information and ideas. It felt like it was just stuff aggregated from google searches though. Nothing life-changing.
Tomáš Heřman
This book is probably fine for average user, but it was mostly obvious info for me. If you are looking for some advanced tips, look elsewhere.
Tanya Hakala
Nothing really new here, but a few good ideas to jog my brain and get me thinking of ways to simplify.
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • The Great Ideas of Psychology (Great Courses, #660)
  • Will to Power: The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche
  • A Day in the Life of a Minimalist
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • You Can Buy Happiness (and It's Cheap): How One Woman Radically Simplified Her Life and How You Can Too
  • Classical Mythology
  • Ten Acres Enough: The Classic 1864 Guide to Independent Farming
  • Living in a Nutshell: Posh and Portable Decorating Ideas for Small Spaces
  • Slow is Beautiful: New Visions of Community, Leisure and Joie de Vivre
  • Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better
Leo Babauta is a simplicity blogger and author. He created Zen Habits, a Top 25 blog (according to TIME magazine) with 260,000 subscribers,, and the best-selling books focus, The Power of Less, and Zen To Done.

Babauta is a former journalist of 18 years, a husband, father of six children, and in 2010 moved from Guam to San Francisco, where he leads a simple life.

He started Zen Habits to
More about Leo Babauta...

“The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less." - Socrates” 1 likes