Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)

Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  1,092 ratings  ·  123 reviews
Boom! Pow! Crash!

Greek Gods as you’ve never seen them before!

Published April 13th 2010 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Athena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Athena

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi
Best Graphic Novels for Children
63rd out of 539 books — 604 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Goddess Test by Aimee CarterThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanStarcrossed by Josephine AngeliniThe Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
YA Mythology Challenge
103rd out of 243 books — 320 voters

More lists with this book...

Donalyn
Athena is my favorite Olympian. She is the goddess of wisdom, tactical warfare and crafts, after all. Besides, I have a thing for owls. The illustrations in this graphic novel remind me of superhero comics and it does a superb job of creating a linear "biography" of Athena from several classic stories.
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next in the series.

This second book starts off with a one page summary of volume one. It also introduces The Fates who are the storytellers of this issue. Different from Zeus, this volume is not one singular story but a collection of vignettes of Athena's creation and birth story and her other adventures. Each story, in the end, tells how Athena added to her Aegis, which became her most powerful weapon. Plus there are two versions of why she took the name Pallas Athena and of...more
Dolly
This is the second book in the Olympians series of graphic novels by George O'Connor. It's an entertaining and dramatically illustrated version of the classic Greek mythology. It features the story of Athena's birth, two stories that explain why she is also called Pallas Athena, as well as two more stories in which Athena is a major character.

Our girls love Greek Mythology and we've read a lot of books that feature various Gods and Goddesses. We've really enjoyed the variety of styles, from D'Au...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This would be a nice compliment to the Percy Jackson Series for kids/teens wanting a little more information about the Gods. I found the stories about Athena very entertaining. Already thinking about who I can recommend this to.
paula
I gave this book a star for School Library Journal and if I could have given it two stars, I would have!
Kellee
In the 2nd book in George O'Connor's Olympian books, he explores the stories of Athena. I really liked how this book was set up more so than the first because I felt that there was more elaboration and details into Athena's stories while in Zeus's book, it was more a history lesson of the Olympians. In this graphic novel, we get to hear the story of Athena's birth, Perseus, Arachne and more.

I also loved this book because Athena is very much my favorite of the Olympians because of her intelligen...more
Kirsten
This is a fantastic graphic novel for kids and teens about Athena, one of my favorite Greek goddesses. George O'Connor does a nice job of picking a mix of well-known stories about Athena (such as her role in Perseus's slaying of Medusa, or the story of Arachne) and lesser-known tales. His artwork is really excellent -- the pages are full of motion and excitement, and he captures changes of mood beautifully though subtle shifts in characters' facial expressions. I was reminded strongly of P. Crai...more
sweet pea
i'm excited about this series. considering the mania for Greek myths among America's youth, this series is sure to be a winner. growing up, i cared little about the "main" Greek gods (Zeus, Athena, Hera), leaning more towards the quirky ones (Artemis, Hermes, Persephone). so i got to learn quite a bit in this work. the narrative deftly covers both the brutal and the lewd without being either. the use of the Moirae as narrators was a brilliant choice and allows the author to weave together the so...more
Renata
I thought I knew a fair amount about Greek mythology, but I learned a LOT from this. And it was a fun read with cool, gory adventures. I'd definitely recommend this to tween, teen, and adults who are interested in mythology--especially those looking for Percy Jackson readalikes. I'll be checking out the rest of O'Connor's Olympians series for sure. (This volume contains a story of the OG Perseus.)

Oh, and it was awesome that the art Andromeda was a beautiful black woman. Like, duh, she's Ethopian...more
Nick
I think this is an excellent book to hand to kids who have read the Percy Jackson books and want to know more about the stories of the Greek gods. Now I have to go back and read the volume about Zeus, but the artwork and the writing were very good in this volume. I liked the way he included alternate, conflicting versions of some of the stories, like the origin of "Pallas" in the name Pallas Athena. If there are two versions of why a name exists, why not include both?
I have heard that this will...more
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Omar

“All of us are born naked, helpless, and defenseless. Not so Pallas Athena.”

After the events in Zeus: King of Gods, Zeus kept his promise to Metis (Goddess of Good Counsel,) and when he became King of gods he made her his Queen. But Mother Earth loved all of her children and was not happy that Zeus had locked his father and the other Titans in the Tartaros. So as she did with Kronos, she prophesied against Zeus:

“As you o...more
Brewer Community School
The book that I just finished reading is called: Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess, by George O’Connor. It is all about the different tales of Athena, the Goddess of Wisdom and War. It talks about how she was born from the head of Zeus, the King of the Gods, who her mother Mitus was, how she battled Pallas and ended up accidentally killing her with her spear. It tells the story of Zeus giving Athena his Aegis because it was sort of his fault that Athena killed Pallas, and how Athena cursed Arachne and M...more
katsok
I'm impressed with this new series of O'Connors. This one was different than Zeus. The Zeus volume was more of a narration of his life. This one has the three fates telling different stories of Athena. Starting with a brief recap of Zeus and the battle against Kronos. Then it goes on to explain Athena's unique beginning. Finally it shows how Athena was a bit lost in her place and then events in her life that shaped her.
Laura (booksnob)
The three Fates narrate and weave Athena's story throughout the novel. Within the book are five of Athena's adventures that led to her current image as female warrior and goddess. Some you may of heard of like the tale of Arachne or Medusa but other tales are included that you may not have known. For a full review check out my blog at http://www.booksnob-booksnob.blogspot...
Jeff Reed
This second book starts off with a one page summary of volume one. It also introduces The Fates who are the storytellers of this issue. Different from Zeus, this volume is not one singular story but a collection of explanations of Athena's creation and birth story and her other adventures. It talks about how she was born from the head of Zeus, the King of the Gods, who her mother Mitus was, how she battled Pallas and ended up accidentally killing her with her spear. Each story, in the end, tells...more
Erin
After reading The Lightening Thief, I really liked this added context for the Greek Goddess Athena in this story. The format is fun, and the stories told by the fates are short and snappy. As an added bonus, George O'Connor, the author/illustrator, did one of my favorite graphic novels, Journey into Mohawk Country.

Some violence and other god-type situations.
Maggi Idzikowski
Oct 10, 2010 Maggi Idzikowski rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Percy Jackson
Richly detailed and creatively structured, this compilation of tales about the goddess Pallas Athena evokes the grim violence and majesty of ancient Greece. George O'Connor's magnificent prose and dynamic illustrations are a winning combination. This is a shining star among dull third-person retellings of Greek myths. Ages 10+.
Robin
These books are really cool and I look forward to using them with students in the future. The illustrations really lend themselves to the topic. I'll always be impressed by George O'Connor after he took the diary of a Dutch trader and turned it into "Journey into Mohawk Country."
Stephanie
This is a great series, so much good background information in a wonderful visual format! I don't know whether to love Athena or be irritated by her. Awaiting the next installment!
Tamara
I was pleasantly surprised by how good this was. The art is wonderful and I even learned some new things about Athena. I'll check out the other books in this series as well.
sastrapertala
Buku ini salah satu alasan gw cinta mati sama buku :)
Sementara itu aja ulasannya.. hehe
A must-read, in my opinion.
Regina Hunter
I like it because most of it is by the book, and now I actually saw "modern" pictures of it!!!
Emilyn
Great introduction to the story of Athena. Really loved the artwork.
Kate Mowery
These Greek mythology graphic novels are so awesome.
Rachel
A great way to convey the different myths.
Edward Sullivan
Excellent retelling of Greek mythology.
Angie
Synopsis: "Boom! Pow! Crash!

Greek Gods as you’ve never seen them before!

The strong, larger-than-life heroes of the Olympians can summon lightning, control the sea, turn invisible, or transform themselves into any animal they choose. Superheroes? No! Greek gods. The ancient pantheon comes to explosive life in this new series where myth meets comic books. Epic battles, daring quests, and terrible monsters await readers within the pages of these books.

Volume 2, Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess, is the tal
Rosa
This graphic novel from George O'Connor's Olympians series tells the origin story of Athena the Goddess of Wisdom and several stories important to her development and the building of her aegis.

I can't tell you how much I love this series. It tells lots of the great myth's in a way that makes them very accessible. The illustration style is extremely appropriate and the author doesn't necessarily stick with the most common version of the story. The notes he includes are great and even have referen...more
Maria
Kids just can't get enough mythology these days... at least the kids in my classroom. Percy Jackson has them hooked. So I was thrilled to finally get my hands on another of George O'Connor's graphic novels.

Athena is probably my favorite of the Greek pantheon (is it totally geeky to have a favorite?). I adore the mixture of incredible intelligence and ability to totally kick butt. This adaptation was wonderful. Several of her most famous tales are told by the Fates themselves. I love the picture...more
  • The Odyssey
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Giants Beware!
  • The Unsinkable Walker Bean
  • Explorer: The Mystery Boxes
  • Around the World
  • Amazing Greek Myths of Wonder and Blunders
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: One Dead Spy
  • Mad Scientist (Babymouse, #14)
  • Defiance (Resistance, #2)
  • City of Spies
  • Annie Sullivan and the Trials of Helen Keller
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • Foiled (Foiled, #1)
  • Bad Island
  • Bake Sale
George O'Connor is the author of several picture books, including the New York Times bestseller Kapow!, Kersplash, and Sally and the Some-thing. JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY was his first graphic novel, a long-held dream that weaves together his passion for history and ongoing research into Native American life. He's also the author/illustrator of a new picture book, If I Had a Raptor.
He lives in...more
More about George O'Connor...
Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1) Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4) Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3) Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5) Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)