Start by marking “The Viking's Defiant Bride (Victorious Vikings #1)” as Want to Read:
The Viking's Defiant Bride (Victorious Vikings #1)

The Viking's Defiant Bride (Victorious Vikings #1)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  308 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Northumbria, 867 A.D.

Beautiful and courageous, the Lady Elgiva is as great a prize as the land the Viking conqueror now controls. Earl Wulfrum has taken her home, and now he will take her - as his unwilling bride.

Wulfrum is a legendary warrior, but the strong-willed Elgiva proves the greatest challenge he has ever faced. Yet her response to his touch tells him she feels th

ebook, Harlequin Historical #934, 288 pages
Published February 2009 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Viking's Defiant Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Viking's Defiant Bride

Kristy
This was a cool story with a strong male and a strong female. Vikings over take Elgiva's town and one viking takes a liking to Elgiva and claims her, marries her and takes over her home. Throughout the book Elgiva struggles with her loyalty to her people and her growing attraction and respect for her new husband.

Sometimes I wished that Elgiva would have stood up to Wulfrum a little more. I know that she would have been punished, but I didn't like it when she would let him win. I guess I'm more s
Arlenis
Apr 08, 2015 Arlenis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Historia entretenida. No fue la gran cosa, básicamente siguió el mismo curso que todas las demás historia de este tipo. No hubo giros inesperados o sorpresas de gran magnitud. Es un libro principalmente para pasar el rato, sin nada mas que hacer. Muchos de los personajes fueron inconclusos y no se les saco mucho provecho, solo fueron nombrados en cierto punto y luego desaparecen, como fue el caso del personaje de Hilda y los sobrinos de Elgiva, entre otros. Los conflictos, los mismos de siempre ...more
Galena Sanz
Una novela que se lee rápido y que me ha gustado por su trasfondo vikingo. Me interesa la historia vikinga a pesar de tener escenas muy terribles, pero que se llevan de forma no muy desagradable en el libro. A pesar de todo, no he logrado ver nada especial en los personajes, me han parecido bastante planos y la historia es muy predecible con las escenas típicas en las novelas románticas, así que me ha servido para entretenerme pero poco más, a pesar de que no es una mala novela romántica sobre v ...more
Nyra
Jul 17, 2016 Nyra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una buena historia para pasar el rato, muy recomendable para l@s romanticos X)
Cris
May 19, 2015 Cris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval, vikings
Tentei ler o livro inteiro mas não deu. Eu tentei, juro, mas chegou uma hora que ficou insuportável.
Apesar do inicio interessante, que fala da morte do lider dos vikings, Ragnar Lodbrok (aquele viking tudão do seriado), e a da vingança deles, logo o livro cai na panaquice.
É sério, o lider dos vikings, Wulfrun, logo se transforma em um panaca que pretende ganhar o nobel da paz e a mocinha, Elgiva, quer o cargo de madre Tereza.

Ai gente, livro de viking não é pra ser chato desse jeito. Acho que a
Melann
Jun 22, 2016 Melann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oui, oui je sais. J'ai déjà dit que j'arrêtais avec les Historiques de chez Harlequin. Mais bon, j'étais en gros manque d'historiques et ce livre traînait sur ma liseuse.
Donc, ce n'est pas mauvais, mais ce n'est pas bon non plus :D
L.A. Miller
So here's the thing, I liked the book but felt like I was reading a condensed version of "The Wolf and The Dove" by Kathleen Woodiwiss which was first published back in 1974. Same theme, only the names have been changed. The Vikings invade, overtake the castle by storm, a beautiful Saxon woman who was betrothed to another. Forced to marry the Viking hero, the heroine is conflicted when her loyalties are tested between her Saxon people and the love the Norseman instills. Add to it the villain Vik ...more
Melissa
Mar 11, 2013 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
meh. I've read other historical romances based on the same premise; however, I felt no real anguish at the onset and no real passion at the end. The first love scene, you suppose, will be filled with helpless desperation. Instead rather, it was anticlimactic! (pun SO intended). I love historical romances that are filled with detailed imagery. This falls flat.
Wild Rose
This is a contemporary romance written in the frame of history,I didn`t feel neither hero nor heroine were acting according to the mentioned time period.Actually I`m sick of authors afraid to portrait the cruelty of such dark times so as not to hurt the feelings of the faint-hearted readers!
Erin
Nice and Quick.
I liked the story and plot line bit I don't think it reached it's full potential.
Good story though with an all together satifying ending.
Hanife
Jan 09, 2013 Hanife marked it as considering-to-read  ·  review of another edition
LOL! They put a dress on her! Original one is nude.
Lady Raven RAVE!
http://www.romancenoveljunkies.com / for book lovers and readers.

BRIEF SUMMARY
Wulfrum, has invaded and raid Ravenswood, after learning of his guardian's death. His raid and anger was to be that of revenge, however, upon reaching Ravenswood, he has taken Elgiva, his prize and bride. Elgiva is not making it easy for Wulfrum, and defies him every chance she gets.

THOUGHTS

This was a nice historical romance and a nice love story. Though Wulfrum was supposed to be this ruthless Viking, the premise of t
Danielles
Mar 30, 2016 Danielles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was a nice and good reading! It was ecxiting till the end,..

Wulfrum the Viking captivated Elgiva and her people Saxons,....
and she has to marry him!

I love Wulfrum, he is hard, but his heart is on the right place!
Elgiva has a difficult time, she loves her people, but the Viking too!

But one day she has to make a choice,..........

Connie
Mar 14, 2015 Connie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To have the Viking hordes take over your land, and have no choice but surrender yourself to them.

Elgiva is a smart woman and talented at healing. The Viking conquer is quick to use her skills as a healer and take her to wife. First he wants her for her beauty, but as time passes he sees what an assets she is to him.
Amanda
Feb 24, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable book. I would give it a 3.5 if I could. I liked how the relationship grows slowly over time.
Wulfrum is a perfect Viking warrior, strong and willful, while Elgiva is smart and so not a push over. Great couple.
The only thing I did not like about the book was it dragged in some areas and the authors choice of wording/phrase was odd at some points.
I have a B.A. in history, so, naturally, I enjoy historical romance. I am a sucker for Vikings, so when I found this book, it was automatica
Nooshin
Dec 02, 2014 Nooshin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 1/2 for me because although It was a fun and easy read,however the writing was so out of time and place that it bothered me big time. You could find sentences like "your STANDARDS are so high" or words like "bonus" in the ninth century medical novel!
I am not a writer nor I claim to know a lot about literature, but even I know that these words don't belong to that period of time!
You would expect a writer or her editor would do research before using something in hers creation! The word "bonus"
Welzen
Oct 31, 2011 Welzen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Una historia que nos narra los amores de un vikingo danés que conquista las tierras de una joven dama. No aporta nada nuevo ya que la historia transcurre por los cauces habituales: ella primero le odia y luego le ama. Hay algo de intriga y poco más.
En cuanto al estilo de la autora al principio me pareció un poco frío, casi descriptivo en exceso pero a media que iba leyendo la novela me ha adaptado a él. Aún así es una historia un tanto "fría" sentimentalmente hablando.
Teshai
Jun 03, 2015 Teshai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
She annoyed me at the beginning. Yah he took your castles and land, but you were giving it away anyways. He could of 'taken' what was his on your wedding night.

Ragnar's sons....nice..
Laura deLuna
Really hated all the victim blaming crap at the beginning... This lady has the mindset that if she Rebels against the people hurting her then it's her own fault and she deserves what they do to her... Which is a really disgusting idea.
Roub
Jan 07, 2013 Roub rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i did not like the heroine's double standards. she put the hero's life in danger. i think it would have served her right if the hero did not go after her at the end and she had to stay with aylwin. that's what she deserved
Lauren Suero
Oh the potential for this book. I think what I really wanted was some more sexy times to go with the never ending plot and over description of things. You're a Viking, for heaven's sake. GO FORTH AND PLUNDER!
Cristina Contilli
"L'amore rende un uomo vulnerabile, ma gli dona anche un grande potere perché dà alla sua vita una ragione e un proposito."

Grace
Yada, yada, yada...why do I continue to read these historicals????
Debra
May 14, 2012 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wonderful viking romance novel. Short and sweet.
Frances
Nov 05, 2010 Frances rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My new worse book ever.
Ebrown
Ebrown marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Garfield Young
Garfield Young marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Carla
Carla rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
claudia sanmiguel
claudia sanmiguel rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
  • Taken by the Viking
  • Bedded by the Warrior
  • The Conqueror's Lady  (The Knights of Brittany, #2)
  • Dark Temptation (Blackheath Moor #2)
  • In the Master's Bed
  • Viking in Love (Viking I, #8)
  • The De Burgh Bride (de Burgh, #2)
  • Her Scottish Groom
  • Sins of a Wicked Princess (Sinners Trio, #3)
  • Viking Warrior
  • The Viking's Sacrifice
  • The Earl's Intended Wife (Harlequin Historical, #793)
  • Her Irish Warrior
  • The Enchantment
  • The Pagan's Prize
  • A Warrior's Passion (Warrior, #9)
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • Edin's Embrace
Joanna Fulford has been a full-time writer for a number of years now. Always an enthusiastic scribbler, she found that the urge to write only became stronger with time. In the end she decided to take a chance and quit the day job to find out if she could achieve success as an author. However, she couldn't have done it without her husband's unstinting support. Fortunately the gamble paid off. It ha ...more
More about Joanna Fulford...

Victorious Vikings (4 books)
  • The Viking's Touch (Victorious Vikings #2)
  • Defiant in the Viking's Bed (Victorious Vikings #3)
  • Surrender to the Viking (Victorious Vikings #4)