Start by marking “Make Them Cry” as Want to Read:
Make Them Cry

Make Them Cry

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The beautiful young judge. The hardworking waitress. The handsome college student.

The victims are all different...but they all have one gruesome detail in common...

A clever serial killer is stalking the streets of Seattle. Searching for his next victim. Creating a monument of madness that will be buil
Published May 1st 2002 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Make Them Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Them Cry

If you like gay Catholic murder mysteries, this book is for you. Not quite what I was expecting though. It took a long time to get started and I picked up on who the killer was immediately. Overall not bad, but I've read many better thrillers.
Sort of like a literary Lifetime movie. It had a good premise, but the story sort of plodded along with no real surprises or genuine conflict (the author failed to make me really feel the suspense, which is part of the whole point of a thriller).
Meh.... Kept me entertained but the end seemed a little too surreal. I also hated all of the typos and grammar mishaps. Being from AK our state capital is actually not spelled Juno- that is the name of a movie starring Ellen Page. And it seemed a bit drawn out at times. I will try the author again.
Jackalyn Stouffer
Found this book difficult to read. Struggled getting into the story and struggled to keep reading. My reading OCD love will not allow me put a book down once I start reading it, but struggled so much with this one I started another at the same time and could not put that one down. Consequently, I took longer than normal reading this one only to realize I read it many years ago. This is a dark read and that is how I felt each time I picked the book up to read it. My final thought......I did not l ...more
I hope this was one of O'Brien's early books. The plot of this psychological thriller was good enough, but I was never frightened much less shocked by any of the killings due to the lack of depth to any of the characters. None of the characters, even the main ones, were developed. The book was hectic and much of the dialogue was amateurish and seemed made up just to fit the moment. It is about a serial killer and centers around a Seminary. O'Brien makes a bit too much of the gay aspect.
Jordan Anderson
I don't know how he does it, but O'Brien constantly delivers...even in his older novels.

There's no doubt that most of O'Brien's works are very similar to each other. You can read all the details in other reviews I've done, yet somehow, each novel has different elements which somehow make them seem new and exciting.

"Make them Cry" was no different in that aspect. It's got a serial killer and strong a female character, and enough red herrings to make you suspect EVERYONE but there's a commentary
Melanie Chabrol-
15 more pages to go! What does a young judge, hard working waitress, & handsome college student have in common?
Surprise another serial killer out in Seattle. Clever and how he chooses his next victim. Once again Kevin O'Brien is guilty for making me hungry mentioned chips and hamburgers.
If it was not for the sleeping pills Kevin would be guilty of keeping me awake. Yes my husband is aware I was thinking of you.
Kevin introduced everyone pretty quickly and I had a hard time trying to figure
Meh. The jacket blurb sounded really interesting, but the book ... not so much. None of the characters are offensive, I just can't make myself care about them.
1.5 stars. Intriguing premise, abysmal delivery. Too many errors that a good editor should have caught.
Adam Wilson
Make Them Cry was yet another excellent thriller from Kevin O'Brien. In a world full of mystery-thrillers, O'Brien still somehow manages to keep his plots as original

as possible. In this one, the suspicious death of a supposedly model student at a religious college causes a surprisingly likeable priest, Father Murphy, along with

the sister and good friend of the deceased, to take the investigation into their own hands. As is slightly typical in mysteries lacking a detective-like protagonist,

I just finished this thriller 5 minutes ago, it was great! The reader practically becomes an additional character, in that we feel similar emotions as the actual characters do as their story develops. Most of the characters are likable and at just over 400 pages, you (not unlike the characters) never feel 100% sure you know what/who/why until O'Brien feels inclined to finally let you in on it. I paid five dollars for 'Make Them Cry' which I consider a great value, I'm satisfied with my purchase. ...more
I had high hopes for this book. This was my second one by O'Brien, and I really enjoyed the first one I read. I made it to page 76 but just couldn't get into it. I felt like I was hovering over the words and story without really connecting with it. I am moving on.
Found it lacking in respect in casual attitude towards the seminary, priests etc. Was put off by that...My first book by this author and am not sure if I could read another by him.
Crystal Trent Dotson
Kevin O'Brien does it again, Make Them Cry is a suspense thriller that will keep you on the edge and keep you guessing.

Father Murphy is an Advisor at Our Lady of Sorrows seminary, and when one of the boys, Johnny ends up dead, Murphy begins to think it was no accident. Johnny's sister and best friend think the same, with all of them trying to find leads, they link Johnnys death with others. With a seminary full of suspects, it's hard to know who to trust and who just may be after you.

This the th
Another amazingly well-written and well thought out story from him. I think the reason I like his books so much are that I can literally read 300 of 320 pages and still not be sure who the murderer is (until it's revealed). And for those first 300 pages, I'm CONVINCED that every single character is a suspect. The thought process behind the stories are flawless. Little comments or actions that convince me that THIS is the guy. But then another character says or does something, and I think, "No! I ...more
Love this book, kept me glued to it to the end. Great story line, had me guessing most of the way through. Can't wait to read his next book!
Apr 01, 2014 Katherine marked it as unfinished
Skoncila jsem na strane 61, me ty klasterni veci proste nebavi -.- Treba jindy?
This was a very good book
A whodunnit with a little bit of a ghost story and strong religious overtones.
Freda Witt
not as good as the first one, but not bad.
Lisa Currier
The author keeps the suspense going! A little different twist this time, centering on a male lead character, a priest. Father Murphy's favorite student is murdered and he is determined to find the killer, even though others at the school want to cover it up, as they had before. Well written, likeable characters, good plot.
The plot of the killer priest was intriging. All of the twists and turns kept you interested, which made for a quick read. The journey to finding the real killer was a facinating mind journey, that made you second guess your self repeatedly. I will not tell you who the killer actually is... you must read it.
This author writes good, interesting, likable main characters, and his plots are interesting and well thought out. My only issue is....his culprits are always too obvious. I've figured out the who almost immediately after the character is introduced in every book I've read by this author.
Laurie Manier reinbold
I'm always Leary of new authors that I haven't read but I must say I really enjoyed this author and would defiantly buy more of his books. Totally loved this book
Amanda Bohannon
This is the first book I have read from this author. My husband picked it up for me. I really enjoyed it. I did not expect the twist. It kept me reading.
J. Ewbank
This was an excellent read. The characters and plot were first class.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Jun 26, 2013 Linda rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: done
This book was very good. I was guessing who the killer was right up to the end. This what I look for in a book.
Erin Purcell Vaughn
Another great book by Kevin O'Brien. Very quick read. He has the serial killer writing down to a science. Great book.
Dara S.
This was just creepy enough to keep me reading. Not an outstanding mystery, but good enough.
Troy Lindeman-Wyner
Great mystery. First book I have read by this author. I will definitely read more.
  • Closer Than Blood Victim Six (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark Series, Book 2)
  • What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes
  • Cloudland
  • Murder in Germantown
  • His Perfect Partner (Perfect Love Series, #2)
  • My Lost Daughter (Lily Forrester, #4)
  • No Escape (Texas Rangers, #2)
  • Long Time Gone (J.P. Beaumont, #17)
  • My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Raleigh, Wife to Sir Walter
  • To Have And To Hostage
  • Compulsion (Emily Stone #1)
  • Stalking Susan (Riley Spartz, #1)
  • All The Pretty Dead Girls
  • Red Ribbons
  • 13:24: A Story of Faith and Obsession
  • House and Home
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • The Last To Know