Start by marking “Make Them Cry” as Want to Read:
Make Them Cry

Make Them Cry

EVERYONE HAS SECRETS...
The beautiful young judge. The hardworking waitress. The handsome college student.

SOME ARE MEANT TO BE KEPT...
The victims are all different...but they all have one gruesome detail in common...

BUT OTHERS CAN KILL...
A clever serial killer is stalking the streets of Seattle. Searching for his next victim. Creating a monument of madness that will be buil
Published May 1st 2002 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Make Them Cry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Them Cry

Steve
Nov 07, 2008 Steve rated it liked it
If you like gay Catholic murder mysteries, this book is for you. Not quite what I was expecting though. It took a long time to get started and I picked up on who the killer was immediately. Overall not bad, but I've read many better thrillers.
Rick
Jan 18, 2011 Rick rated it liked it
Sort of like a literary Lifetime movie. It had a good premise, but the story sort of plodded along with no real surprises or genuine conflict (the author failed to make me really feel the suspense, which is part of the whole point of a thriller).
Kristofer
Jan 07, 2015 Kristofer rated it liked it
Meh.... Kept me entertained but the end seemed a little too surreal. I also hated all of the typos and grammar mishaps. Being from AK our state capital is actually not spelled Juno- that is the name of a movie starring Ellen Page. And it seemed a bit drawn out at times. I will try the author again.
Jackalyn Stouffer
May 18, 2014 Jackalyn Stouffer rated it liked it
Found this book difficult to read. Struggled getting into the story and struggled to keep reading. My reading OCD love will not allow me put a book down once I start reading it, but struggled so much with this one I started another at the same time and could not put that one down. Consequently, I took longer than normal reading this one only to realize I read it many years ago. This is a dark read and that is how I felt each time I picked the book up to read it. My final thought......I did not l ...more
Dale
Dec 07, 2013 Dale rated it it was ok
I hope this was one of O'Brien's early books. The plot of this psychological thriller was good enough, but I was never frightened much less shocked by any of the killings due to the lack of depth to any of the characters. None of the characters, even the main ones, were developed. The book was hectic and much of the dialogue was amateurish and seemed made up just to fit the moment. It is about a serial killer and centers around a Seminary. O'Brien makes a bit too much of the gay aspect.
Patricia
Mar 28, 2017 Patricia rated it really liked it
Very good read, different from other books I have read because it is basically a school to become a Priest... So obviously Priest as well... I would have given 5 Stars but some of the other books I have read the storyline way much better and were given 5 Stars+++++
Alycia
Meh. The jacket blurb sounded really interesting, but the book ... not so much. None of the characters are offensive, I just can't make myself care about them.
Dobby0390
1.5 stars. Intriguing premise, abysmal delivery. Too many errors that a good editor should have caught.
Kamilla
Oct 22, 2016 Kamilla rated it really liked it
This was my first Kevin O'Brien book and I must say I enjoyed it. The Catholic muder mystery sucked me in, I couldn't put it down. The intricacies of a Catholic boys college, the teaching priests revolting behaviour, the boys' search for their identities while the priests running the organisation wish to sweep everything under the carpet that could potentially cause harm to the Church or the good name of the college - never mind that it involves a serial killer... it all made the book unputdowna ...more
Richard
Not his best. The subject material of gay priests and homosexuals didn't float my boat but was not the reason for not enjoying the book. The story took ages to get going, too many wooden characters, too far-fetched at times and the finale where the killer was revealed was no real surprise.

I have enjoyed four of his other books, so I'll just chalk this one down to a bad day at the office.
Teresa Hill-Sanford
Apr 22, 2017 Teresa Hill-Sanford rated it it was amazing
Wow kept me guessing. good book
Leona
My hope after I finished listening to  The Next To Die was all I needed in going into Make Them Cry and being blown away.

I was so grateful that Make Them Cry had a new narrator, Tim Campbell, that I just knew was going to make this story something good. Tim Campbell was the perfect voice behind Kevin O’Brien’s psychological thriller, his voice made it easy to fall into the story and hear about the chilling actions of the killer and the clues dropped here and there throughout the story.

As I
Katie Bliss
Feb 24, 2017 Katie Bliss rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
OK, as far as thrillers go. I figured out who the "bad guy" was about halfway through, and there was at least one inconsistency and another loose thread that didn't get resolved, so those things kind of bug me. Also, it was a terrible title - vague, forgettable, and had nothing to do with how he killed people. Irritating.
Adam Wilson
Oct 09, 2011 Adam Wilson rated it really liked it
Make Them Cry was yet another excellent thriller from Kevin O'Brien. In a world full of mystery-thrillers, O'Brien still somehow manages to keep his plots as original

as possible. In this one, the suspicious death of a supposedly model student at a religious college causes a surprisingly likeable priest, Father Murphy, along with

the sister and good friend of the deceased, to take the investigation into their own hands. As is slightly typical in mysteries lacking a detective-like protagonist,

th
John Austin
Feb 16, 2017 John Austin rated it liked it
Great story line, good character build but ,somewhat predictable ending.
Allyson Abu-hajar
Mar 30, 2016 Allyson Abu-hajar rated it really liked it
Creepy and thrilling read! Dorothy McShane is a judge with two young boys, and is on her way to meet someone, that she needs to end her secret relationship with. But, her plan to just end things, takes a deadly turn. Irene McShane, is Dorthy's mother-in-law, and while looking in the closet for a button to sew on her coat, she discovers Dorthy's journals with her secrets. One points to Our Lady of Sorrows seminary. Father Jack Murphy, befriends a boy, Johnny Costello, who is discovered in a lake. ...more
Jordan Anderson
Feb 07, 2015 Jordan Anderson rated it really liked it
I don't know how he does it, but O'Brien constantly delivers...even in his older novels.

There's no doubt that most of O'Brien's works are very similar to each other. You can read all the details in other reviews I've done, yet somehow, each novel has different elements which somehow make them seem new and exciting.

"Make them Cry" was no different in that aspect. It's got a serial killer and strong a female character, and enough red herrings to make you suspect EVERYONE but there's a commentary
Davina
Jul 07, 2010 Davina rated it really liked it
I just finished this thriller 5 minutes ago, it was great! The reader practically becomes an additional character, in that we feel similar emotions as the actual characters do as their story develops. Most of the characters are likable and at just over 400 pages, you (not unlike the characters) never feel 100% sure you know what/who/why until O'Brien feels inclined to finally let you in on it. I paid five dollars for 'Make Them Cry' which I consider a great value, I'm satisfied with my purchase. ...more
Melanie Chabrol-
Feb 08, 2014 Melanie Chabrol- rated it it was amazing
15 more pages to go! What does a young judge, hard working waitress, & handsome college student have in common?
Surprise another serial killer out in Seattle. Clever and how he chooses his next victim. Once again Kevin O'Brien is guilty for making me hungry mentioned chips and hamburgers.
If it was not for the sleeping pills Kevin would be guilty of keeping me awake. Yes my husband is aware I was thinking of you.
Kevin introduced everyone pretty quickly and I had a hard time trying to figure
Allison
Aug 31, 2012 Allison rated it really liked it
Another amazingly well-written and well thought out story from him. I think the reason I like his books so much are that I can literally read 300 of 320 pages and still not be sure who the murderer is (until it's revealed). And for those first 300 pages, I'm CONVINCED that every single character is a suspect. The thought process behind the stories are flawless. Little comments or actions that convince me that THIS is the guy. But then another character says or does something, and I think, "No! I ...more
Crystal Trent Dotson
Jul 26, 2012 Crystal Trent Dotson rated it it was amazing
Kevin O'Brien does it again, Make Them Cry is a suspense thriller that will keep you on the edge and keep you guessing.

Father Murphy is an Advisor at Our Lady of Sorrows seminary, and when one of the boys, Johnny ends up dead, Murphy begins to think it was no accident. Johnny's sister and best friend think the same, with all of them trying to find leads, they link Johnnys death with others. With a seminary full of suspects, it's hard to know who to trust and who just may be after you.

This the th
Petr Čapek
Jul 09, 2013 Petr Čapek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je docela škoda, že tento autor malinko zapadá v široké nabídce detektivního žánru, protože právě kombinace psychothrilleru s detektivkou dává knize šmrnc a mohla by zaujmout nejednoho fanouška tohoto žánru. Pokud hledáte knihu, která vás jen tak nepustí a nabízí neobvyklé prostředí s dobrou detektivní zápletkou, mohlo by být Údolí slz právě pro vás.

Jan
Jan 29, 2017 Jan rated it really liked it
What's not to like about gay seminarians in a murder mystery? Well crafted with building suspense, O'Brien shows how the Catholic Church is a boys' club and prefer to sweep unpleasantness under the rug and pretend it never happened. Although I had a clue as to who was to blame, it wasn't clear until the end when it all came together.
Tina
May 22, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
The plot of the killer priest was intriging. All of the twists and turns kept you interested, which made for a quick read. The journey to finding the real killer was a facinating mind journey, that made you second guess your self repeatedly. I will not tell you who the killer actually is... you must read it.
Susan
Oct 14, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
This was probably closer to a 3.5 star book. Set in a seminary near Seattle, a student is killed and his friend, a priest, tries to find out why and how and turns up much more. This plot was fairly sound and the characters were ok except for one or two but it was just not a thrilling thriller. I did like the Seattle angle. I wish there was more Seattle in it.
Lisa Currier
Sep 04, 2013 Lisa Currier rated it really liked it
The author keeps the suspense going! A little different twist this time, centering on a male lead character, a priest. Father Murphy's favorite student is murdered and he is determined to find the killer, even though others at the school want to cover it up, as they had before. Well written, likeable characters, good plot.
Myrna
Jan 08, 2015 Myrna rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I had high hopes for this book. This was my second one by O'Brien, and I really enjoyed the first one I read. I made it to page 76 but just couldn't get into it. I felt like I was hovering over the words and story without really connecting with it. I am moving on.
Cheryl
Jan 16, 2017 Cheryl rated it really liked it
A rather predictable thriller with lots of murder and mystery but a very enjoyable read. The author managed to keep it a page turner, even with the numerous characters. Would recommend this author and will read more of his books.
Katrina
Jun 08, 2013 Katrina rated it liked it
This author writes good, interesting, likable main characters, and his plots are interesting and well thought out. My only issue is....his culprits are always too obvious. I've figured out the who almost immediately after the character is introduced in every book I've read by this author.
Amanda Bohannon
This is the first book I have read from this author. My husband picked it up for me. I really enjoyed it. I did not expect the twist. It kept me reading.
  • Closer Than Blood (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark #2)
  • What We Eat When We Eat Alone: Stories and 100 Recipes
  • To Have And To Hostage
  • Death by the Book (Jack Susko, #1)
  • The Handler
  • Compulsion (Emily Stone #1)
  • Cloudland
  • My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Raleigh, Wife to Sir Walter
  • Twisted
  • Murder in Germantown
  • His Perfect Partner (Perfect Love Series, #2)
  • My Lost Daughter (Lily Forrester, #4)
  • Please Pretty Lights
  • Requiem Mass (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #1)
  • The Murder Wall (DCI Kate Daniels, #1)
  • No Escape (Texas Rangers, #2)
  • It's My F---ing Birthday