Start by marking “When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots” as Want to Read:
When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots

When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  112 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
"This is the story that I tell my grandchildren at Christmas. I hope that this book will bring the tradition of sharing history to families all across America." -- Lynne Cheney

Christmas night, 1776, was a troubled time for our young country. In the six months since the Declaration of Independence had been signed, General George Washington and his troops had suffered defeat
Published October 12th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about When Washington Crossed the Delaware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Washington Crossed the Delaware

Lori Karpe
Dec 17, 2014 Lori Karpe rated it it was amazing
This is a book I use every year to read to my 5th grade students. I usually try to wait until we have reached the point of crossing the Delaware in our studies, but this year we aren't quite there yet, but I must read it to them before Christmas Break begins. I want them to know about the "other" great event that happened on Christmas Day so long ago. Lynne Cheney uses her words to show us the events that took place and what a marvelous leader George Washington really was and the beautiful illus ...more
Lola
Given to me for free at a garage sale. Beautifully illustrated.
Erika Graves
Oct 05, 2013 Erika Graves rated it really liked it
This book tells the story of the Battle of Trenton and the Battle of Princeton during the Revolutionary War. The language and pictures make it very easy to understand exactly what is happening during the battles. I, personally, always had a difficult time with history because I couldn't picture what was happening I think that this book would have been beneficial to me and to other who have a similar learning style. Because of that, I would recommend this book to history teachers. I think this bo ...more
D'Anne
Mar 09, 2014 D'Anne rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
According to the introduction of this book, Lynne Cheney just loves to tell her grandchildren this story at Christmas time. This story about people killing each other. Also, calling it "A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots" is so gross.
Emily Bernd
Mar 17, 2014 Emily Bernd rated it it was amazing
I would never typically pick up history books but this book was very informative and accurate. It is a great way of teaching about President Washington.
Patricia Holland
Mar 15, 2011 Patricia Holland rated it really liked it
I actually like this book even though I am not a big history fan. All I ever remember reading about history was text books with few pictures. This book is such a more entertaining way to learn about important historical events. The eye witnesses’ quotes were a very creative idea and they help bring the history to life.

Teaching Application:
This book is definitely a great teaching tool when it comes to history. This book can be used to give students a more comprehensive understanding of the eve
Morgan
This was a rather long children’s book but is great for teaching American history. I would use this book for social studies and read it over a few days span. This is a picture book of how Washington and his troops crossed the Delaware and its significance in history. This book is great when students may need a break from their textbooks but can still learn valuable information while listening to the teacher read aloud and look at the illustrations.
Amy
Oct 16, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
This book is beautifully illustrated as gives some great detail from Washington crossing the Delaware and the battles of Trenton and Princeton. It was great for the kids to read and to be read to.

As the author says, it makes for a great winter story and a great Christmas story (since Washington crossed the Delaware on Christmas day, 1776), but we couldn't wait that long, and it doesn't have to be winter to appreciate the significance.
Victoria Kilcrease
Dec 13, 2013 Victoria Kilcrease rated it really liked it
This book is entitled When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots and is by Lynne Cheney. It is a Informational text geared toward younger children. However, it can be used in different ways in grades K-4. It is about George Washington and the many battles he lead leading up to the crossing of the Delaware River. This book could be used in both a writing and vocabulary lesson
Melanie Olson
Jan 12, 2010 Melanie Olson rated it it was amazing
We purchased this book at the Mount Vernon gift shop, and read it shortly after returning home. Although we have heard this story many, many times, Lynn Cheney's version was wonderful! She mentions that this story is a Christmas tradition for their family. It is such an amazing account of bravery, courage, and sacrifice, that we will likely also make it a Christmas reading tradition.
Marcia
Jun 26, 2011 Marcia rated it it was amazing
A beautiful picture book that explains the importance of Washington's famous crossing of the Delaware and the battles at Trenton and Princeton. Those were victories for Washington and a real turning point in the war. This is a really well done story with lots of key information presented in an appealing, accessible and most interesting way.
Heather
Jul 07, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
A very good account for children of two watershed battles of the Revolutionary War. After just reading 1776, I thought this book could have been more powerful had Cheney better summarized some parts of the history, and used some different quotes from George Washington and others. Overall, though, very good.
Ruth
Jul 03, 2008 Ruth rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children and adults who like picture books!
This lovely picture book/story (written by Lynne Cheney--yes, the V.P.'s wife) is perfect as a way to introduce a young person to such an important aspect of our American Revolutionary history. Lovely paintings by Peter Fiore add depth and warmth to the tale.
Esther May
Jul 01, 2013 Esther May rated it it was amazing
Shelves: america
I really enjoyed this book. The pictures are great and it showed my kids and I how hard it was to fight for freedom. It was fun to read around the 4th of July, it would also be a great read at Christmas time, since that is when it happened.
Dan Scarborough
This was an awesome book that can be easily used within a classroom setting. The book is written in a picture book format, and the artistry within the book is exceptional.
Skedatt
Oct 14, 2011 Skedatt rated it it was amazing
What wonderful pictures to bring the story alive. I also loved the quotes that she included on every page relating to the action that was happening. Thoroughly recommend.
Michelle Polk
Oct 15, 2008 Michelle Polk rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book about George Washington! Would be great for a Revolutionary War unit study. My children and I thoroughly enjoyed this book!
Shelli
Aug 27, 2012 Shelli rated it really liked it
Stunning Illustrations and informative book for young readers about the strategic genius that was George Washington.
Kara
May 08, 2013 Kara rated it it was amazing
Used this for my thematic unit on the American Revolution. Fantastic illustrations to go with nonfiction information.
Erin
Sep 12, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: second-born
Titus picked this one. It was well written, informative and we really liked the illustrations.
Rachel
Feb 15, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Great historical picture book about two important battles in the Revolutionary War.
Lynn
Nov 06, 2009 Lynn rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book to read with children and to enjoy yourself.
Tracy
Nov 30, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book. I would highly recommend it.
Justin
Mar 03, 2009 Justin rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I've read it about five times.
Maria
Sep 30, 2009 Maria added it
Excellent
Charla
Charla rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
MrsRK
MrsRK rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Suzy
Suzy is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2016
Katy
Katy rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • George Washington
  • George Washington's Socks
  • Martha Washington: First Lady of Liberty
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • If You Traveled West In A Covered Wagon
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start
  • George vs. George: The American Revolution As Seen from Both Sides
  • George Washington's War: The Forging of a Revolutionary Leader and the American Presidency
  • A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution
  • Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution
  • Katie Meets The Impressionists
  • If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • For Want of a Nail: If Burgoyne had won at Saratoga
  • Arms & Armor
  • Dare the Wind: The Record-breaking Voyage of Eleanor Prentiss and the Flying Cloud
  • Ben Franklin's Big Splash: The Mostly True Story of His First Invention
Lynne Ann Vincent Cheney, is a novelist, conservative scholar, and former talk-show host who is the wife of former Vice President Dick Cheney.
More about Lynne Cheney...