Start by marking “Deluge: Book Three of The Twins of Petaybee” as Want to Read:
Deluge: Book Three of The Twins of Petaybee

Deluge: Book Three of The Twins of Petaybee (Twins of Petaybee #3)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  767 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
When two award-winning science-fiction masters like Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough collaborate, the results are astonishing. Their master creation is Petaybee, a sentient planet able to guide its own evolution and, with some help from its loyal inhabitants, defend itself against predation by offworlders. Now, at last, McCaffrey and Scarborough return to Petay ...more
Published March 11th 2008 by Del Rey (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Deluge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deluge

Janice
Jun 16, 2010 Janice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I enjoyed the original Petaybee series, I'm clearly not in the target audience for the the second series (the target audience appears to be not terribly bright 7 year olds).
JoyfulK
Jun 05, 2011 JoyfulK rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: diehard Petaybee fans who can't stand not to know the ending---and no one else
This trilogy---Changelings, Maelstrom, & Deluge---picks up the story begun in Powers That Be and its two sequels. Unfortunately, the writing isn't nearly as good. I found these novels hard to put down, but thoroughly disappointing in the end. The characters don't develop, and the situations of danger they find themselves in are all melodrama.(view spoiler) ...more
Pepper Thorn
Maelstrom: Twins of Petaybe does not even make an attempt at any sort of ending and continues without missing a beat in Deluge. Book 3 has all the same charms and problems that it's siblings have. It does pull its punches a bit as the children start to mature which makes the ending feel a little anticlimactic and flat. I did enjoy this book and this series but it left me wanting more from both these great authors and their truly wonderful and unique concepts. The Twins of Petaybe could have been ...more
Brian Schiebout
Dec 18, 2013 Brian Schiebout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deluge by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough is the third and Final book in the Twins of Petaybee series set in the Petaybee universe. The book attempts to detail the attempts to rescue the characters who were kidnapped by rogue company soldiers in the previous book. I enjoyed the rollicking rescue book because it is very simple to figure out good and evil. In many ways this book is a melodrama where evil is so obvious that cheering for the heroes is simple. Like all melodramas the vil ...more
Maurice Jr.
Aug 20, 2016 Maurice Jr. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good end to the Twins Of Petaybee series. The company who abandoned their Hawaiian charges now accuses the Petaybeans of kidnapping them and stealing the totem animals who accompanied them to Petaybee. They use these trumped up charges to arrest Marmion de Revers Algemaine and her cohorts, including all the children who inhabited her space station, and hustle them off to a prison planet, Gwinnet. Ronan and Murel Shongili were on the station at the time attempting to warn them.

Their attempt to
Sally
Sep 21, 2010 Sally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The original Petaybee series drew me in quite readily with its setting and characters, thus I was looking forward to reading its sequel and hoped it was just as engaging.

Talk about a disappointment. I cannot remember of series of books so poorly written and edited (characters changing genders and names spelt incorrectly to name but two!)

While I realise that the series was about the twins, it would have been nice to have transition between the original series and this one that had greater depth a
Alysha DeShaé
My full review is here on my personal website. I'll post a few excerpts here, though:

3.0 out of 5.0 stars

The very worst thing about this book is some of the situations that the characters are placed in. I’m reading sci-fi/fantasy so I’m not necessarily looking for total realism, but too much just falls into place for it to be believable. It was more like they were trying to quickly tie up all the loose ends that they’ve left hanging about.

The very best thing about this book is the fact that the
Kris
Jul 18, 2009 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-choice
The third book of the Twins of Petaybee opens with the Company Corps of the evil InterGal corporation attempting to take over the settlements of Petaybee. They have also arrested Marmion, a high ranking official and friend to Petaybee, on trumped up charges and have taken her and loyal members of her crew to a prison planet. The twins are also captured and taken to the prison planet where they manage to escape into the waters and in seal form seek help for their friends. Fortunately Sky Otter an ...more
Wilde Sky
Shape shifting twins battle an evil corporation.

I found the plot really bizarre / strange and really struggled to get interested in the story / characters. Some of the writing was a bit clunky.
W.
May 02, 2013 W. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
We return to a world where social structure is the key to understanding the adventures of Deluge, the third book in Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough’s The Twins of Pataybee. The conflict continues between a unknowing, uncaring corporation and a world festooned with a variety of human and animal creatures, each with conflicting goals, greed versus life. The encounters between factions will satisfy the the sci-fi reader who enjoys a world structure centered on social relationships. T ...more
Audra
Dec 09, 2014 Audra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series started out fun, but by the third book everything is falling into the same old patterns of danger and escape. I liked the parts between the cat and the otter, but everything else was tiresome.
Miriam
Sep 07, 2015 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I finally have read the sequel trilogy to the Petaybee books. I think one well written book could have replaced these 3 books and all would have been well.
Jill
Jul 15, 2010 Jill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
I thought it would be fun to read, as I started the series last summer, but it just wasn't all that great. The story was disjointed, and some of it got really ugly, which was unexpected for the general tenor of the book and a McCaffery story. It was a little like reading the brainship book she wrote with SM Stirling, but the story wasn't as good.
Lisa
Feb 11, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good - great development of "situations" on Petaybee and the prison planet. Adorable cat and otter involvement! Interesting development with the aliens from Petaybee and return of the evil Dr. Mabo! Very quick resolution! I find myself wondering, however, if this could really be the end of the Petaybee stories! I hope not!
Fredrick Danysh
The twins of Petaybee attempt to rescue friends and immigrants arrested by the InterGal Corporation and transported to a prison colony. On Petaybee the Corporation attempts to arrest and deport all the colonists so that they can regain their claim to the senient planet.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I loved the first series. When Ms. McCaffrey brought this back, I was happy, until this book. This book didn't do it for me. While I do like the twins and how they can shape shift, this one was crammed in with situations that were tedious and boring.
Lychee
Sep 22, 2008 Lychee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Enjoyable conclusion to the trilogy. I like how they kept returning to characters introduced in earlier volumes but not always in a predictable way. The second volume in the triology was my favorite, but this one served up some treats too.
Marissa
Apr 23, 2011 Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Nice finish to the trilogy. It is a little unbelievable that the twins do all this stuff as ten year olds, but that is the beauty of a setting on a different planet -- they must have evolved differently from us in more ways than one!
Sharon
This is another series that I feel has gone on too long. It roams between planet-based and star station-based scenes and it's very hard to keep track of the younger generation. How funny - I read it exactly two years ago!
Cary Spratt
Jun 23, 2015 Cary Spratt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
One misadventure after another until they all live happily ever after. Overall, this series is a bit more 'young' in tone than I prefer, but a decent read and nice follow-up to the original Petaybee series.
Luisa
Aug 12, 2013 Luisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read, not her best, but still entertaining :)
I love Petaybee, it is an incredible concept... The twins are alright, I just felt that there were some errors when comparing with the first trilogy.
Brie
Apr 17, 2009 Brie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
In my opinion, hardly worth a read, which is unfortunate. I enjoyed the original Petaybee trilogy very much, but this third installment in the second Petaybee trilogy was quite a letdown.
Theresa
Feb 28, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
Deluge: Book Three of The Twins of Petaybee
McCaffrey, Anne
yara and Sean's children find support in their schools people to save the world.
Sue
May 16, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, but not as exciting as her earlier books. Seemed to be very much like the previous one in this series.
Michelle Wardhaugh
An enjoyable and easy read. I could have finished it in one day if I hadn't had several other things I'd wanted to do.
Kendra
Finale, much fun, interesting ending. Kinda got the feeling that they might continue with the series, though.
Sara
Sep 09, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little grittier than the first two. A good read though, and I like how it wrapped it all up!
Dec 28, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best in the series for me. Good plot with a great blend of dangers and a nice resolution.
Susan
May 08, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I'm sorry to see this series (really a YA selection) be done. Fun for all!
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The People of Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Unicorn Girl: The Illustrated Adventures
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume I (Omnibus: Sing the Four Quarters / Fifth Quarter)
  • The Stars Down Under (The Outback Stars #2)
  • Snows of Darkover (Darkover Anthology Series)
  • Werehunter
  • Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3)
  • Regeneration (Species Imperative, #3)
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • The Ruby Dice (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #12)
  • Godspeed
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Twins of Petaybee (3 books)
  • Changelings