Start by marking “Come on People: On the Path from Victims to Victors” as Want to Read:
Come on People: On the Path from Victims to Victors

Come on People: On the Path from Victims to Victors

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  378 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Bill Cosby and Alvin F. Poussaint have a powerful message for families and communities as they lay out their visions for strengthening America, or for that matter the world. They address the crises of people who are stuck because of feelings of low self-esteem, abandonment, anger, fearfulness, sadness, and feelings of being used, undefended and unprotected. These feelings...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Come on People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come on People

Amanda
When I bought this book, I didn't realize the target audience is black. But, I read it just the same. Honestly, I believe every black person should read this book. The authors succinctly outline the problems facing black Americans, and then provide alternatives and solutions to many of the problems. Additionally, I find that many of the problems in the book -- such as using TV and video games as a babysitter, the disregard for education, violence among teenagers -- are epidemic across the United...more
Donna
I fit in, yet didn't fit in to Cosby's target audience, in that I am a white parent with one African-American child (and others scattered amongst the family tree). I have spent most of my adult life as a teacher in schools with large numbers of African-American and other students of color, and there's a chapter for teachers, too.

Cosby took a lot of flak for this, and I feel it was undeserved. There were a few missteps, perhaps, but most of those who lashed out at him were too young to understand...more
Kate
This is something I was asked to read (a few chapters) for my work as a teacher in an urban school. I did not love it. It was overly simplistic and missed many points about why people find themselves in the situations that they find themselves in - white or black. It felt a little preachy at times, and Cosby harped on points that I think anyone/everyone knows are common sense - and glossed over complex issues. I also have to say it -- I didn't appreciate the writing at all. I thought it was terr...more
Sean Liburd
Bill Cosby and Alvin F.Poussaint offers a lot of great advice to the Black community about empowering themselves instead of remaining in a state of victimhood. This book is filled with stories of many who has managed to overcome their circumstances in order to enrich their lives. The one missing ingredient that Bill and Alvin failed to address is the underlying reason why the black underclass exist and why it is so difficult for some to pull themselves out of victim hood.
Kathleen
I read five pages then put it down. Read five more then go do laundry.
Janastasia Whydra
There is a lot of mixed reviews regarding Bill Cosby's and Alvin F. Poussaint's Come On, People: On the Path from Victims to Victors. Some negative reviews include the over-simplistic tone of the book that everything can be solved with good family values. Some positive reviews include raves about the message behind the book that everything can be solved with good family values.

Confused?

After reading this book, I am somewhat torn. I do agree that not everything is going to be simple, but I also d...more
Lisa
I really wanted Bill Cosby to redeem himself with this book--it hurts my heart that many African-Americans disagreed so strongly with him (right or wrong) because he's OUR Cosby. He means well. Cosby has been a champion for us he, he has stood behind black families, children, musicians and artists for the whole of his life. Cosby is a man who adores black culture and has, until now, stood behind it. Alas, I didn't originally have strong reactions to his statements about black people looking inwa...more
drowningmermaid
I've never read a book that had quite this book's problem. This book's problem is-- that it's a book.

What it is, is a sermon (complete with the rolling, repetitive AA preaching style) directed at desperately poor black communities. The trouble with THAT is, pimps and drug dealers typically do not take time to read. Hardly anyone does.

Disappointment #1: False advertising. I didn't see anything on the cover that would indicate what this book really is. It is not a feel-good, pay-it-forward type bo...more
Alex
the first warning i got about the quality of this book came from the barnes and noble clerk who rolled his eyes and then said..."it is upstairs, in the back, on the floor. it is $5.98."

this is the most elitist book i have read in quite some time. filled with so much nerve as to not even include citations.

but don't worry, he doesn't need them. mr. cosby has all the answers, which range from shunning unwed mothers and fathers to making young boys go to church---the one time they will learn to sit...more
Sherrell
Feb 25, 2008 Sherrell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Inner city parents
Recommended to Sherrell by: My Book Club
This book revealed some interesting statistics. For instance:
In some cities, black males drop out rates are
more than 50%.....Say what?

32% of black men born today will go to prison at
some point in their lifetime.

More than half of the 16,000 homicides each year
are committed by black men.

Surely Dr. Cosby and Alvin F. Pouissaint point out the way our poorer communities have gone down the wrong path since the Civil Rights movement, but they also give detailed ideas and techniques on how to u...more
Sharon
Dec 10, 2008 Sharon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
I understand that Dr. Cosby has gotten some 'grief" from the African-American community for his frankness in this book.

Well, I really cannot see why. This is not just a manifesto about rearing black youth, but about bringing up young people to be responsible, law-abiding citizens in the face of media (music, films, etc.) that glorify violence and misogyny.

Dr. Cosby's premises about personal responsibility and the importance of making good choices should be taught to all parents, and enforced wit...more
Adrienne
Dec 12, 2007 Adrienne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
I absolutely loved this book! Working in the nonprofit arena for a few years, I found that the issues discussed here are not just in the African American communities, but in the White and Hispanic communites also that I heard from in Provo, Utah. As an upcoming new mother, I want to teach my child how to be a contributing member of society who realizes that circumstances do not define us. We all have moral agency to make choices and change what we want to about our lives; it is no one else's mai...more
Ryan
I really enjoyed reading this book. Cosby and Poussaint make a number of strong points for black communities taking responsibility and not looking for others to help them succeed in life. Forgetting about race, Come On People touches on a number of important issues, such as the importance of family, education, and not blaming others for your whatever situation you are in. The authors most significant theme is for people to stop being victims and take control of their own destiny, as individuals,...more
Mike Kowalczyk
Feb 15, 2008 Mike Kowalczyk rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, teachers
This book was OK in my opinion. I was anticipating it to focus on the issues in the black youth community and their lack of progress and motivation in changing their unfortunate situations (his words, not mine). In short, I was expecting more of a rebuke because that is the way Bill Cosby portrayed the book in his promotional speeches. Nevertheless, it was an interesting book and the authors made many good points and gave a lot of good advice that should be heeded by every community.
I give it th...more
Alleyah Knight
I think the book is empowering and provides a lot of information into how certain things are carried out. It is also good quality and is a good book to read and learn about the black culture in America.
Brad
Cosby and Poussaint write a very compelling book about the struggle of not only blacks in this country, but the poor as well. These two pull no punches, and you may not agree with everything they say, but their fundamental idea that people need to begin to help themselves instead of waiting on others to help them out is one that should hit everyone. Also, this book brings to light many Americans in this country refuse to either admit or believe occur in this country. We have a lot of problems in...more
Paula
The book got a little repetitive after a while, I found myself skimming. It has some good points, but unfortunately, the people who need to read it and make some changes probably are not reading it. I also got tired of them always going back to slavery. I am sorry, but I find it hard to believe that anything that black youth are doing or not doing today have anything to do with slavery of their ancestors. I am German but I don't feel like my German ancestors had anything to do with my actions to...more
Angineeki
This book puts in writing the issues that we think about and discuss among friends -- issues that are not being addressed on a grand scale in our communities. The condescending tone of the book, however, makes it come off as a tirade of complaints about the poor black community rather than a meaningful tool to inspire the action the authors are calling for. For those that are interested in meaningful solutions to some of these problems that can be tackled on an individual, community, and politic...more
Fath
This book is written by a black-race author who is sincerely trying to make his people realize the dangerous, troublesome, and the truth reality of his own race. In this book, he wrote tons of advice, suggestions and on going encouragement to improve his race.

Frankly speaking, i'm touched to see how persistent he is to look up to his own race. No matter who you are,you always has responsibility towards you community, your country and your religion.

As i read this book, i got many good values and...more
Darrell
a patient i was to take to a test had this book at his bedside
he talked it up and i said that i'd look out for it

good read
i don't do the church/mosque/temple thing
and usually read while in the barber's chair
so this was a nice avenue for a corrective lesson to reach me

in writing it was a little below grade level for me but i understand as it is for a broad audience
i like the points the authors are making and the way in which they make them

Vonetta
I would recommend this book to everyone, no matter your color. I found it kind of a manifesto for Black Conservatives like myself. My only reason for not giving it 5 stars is because much of the constructive criticism Cosby gives is common sense, but common sense that not everyone gets, apparently. And to those who find it condescending: You should really work on your self-esteem and accept some constructive criticism.
Lisa
The first part of this book is very interesting. It is aimed at African Americans, but contains lessons for all. It is about personal responsibility and the responsibility for families and communities. If every American read this book and followed its precepts, we would live in a much better world.
The second part of the book is mostly cheerleading and can be read through very quickly.
Sally
With a strong, loving voice of a father, Bill Cosby tells people to wake up, stop blaming their backgrounds. circumstances and other people for their lives and to start using that common sense that God gave us all.
I didn't just like this book, I LOVED it. In fact, I loved it so much I wish that I could buy a copy for everyone in my neighborhood.
John
I found the book to be extremely well written and structured (I'm an engineer-type so sue me). While certainly working from a starting political/social position, both authors did a tremendous job explaining the current situation and providing what seem to be well thought out solutions to the current problems facing African-American men in today's society.
Kory
I didn't love this book, but I felt compelled to finish it. It had parts that I thought were very hypocritical, and others that were not. Overall, I guess I just thought it was very common sense. Cosby talks about everything from nutrition to debt to prison. It certainly didn't come across as a life changing book to me, but maybe others disagree.
Liesl
An insightful look at some of the issues hindering the black community from moving forward. Also very applicable to anyone who feels like a "victim". I also found it helpful to be reminded of basic, common sense things when it comes to raising kids. I had seen an interview with Bill Cosby on Oprah, which lead to my desire to read this book.
Katie
Although this book is directed to the black community, I think any parent or person who works with kids can appreciate the commentary on today's youth.

I found the chapter on the "N" word interesting because of my experience working in the library's teen room. Black youth use this term so freely and I worry about the consequences of this.
Vicki Bauer
Bill Cosby brings an eye-opening commentary to the community as a whole. It is a call to arms to the black community to stand up and take responsibility for the future of our communities. It was an amazing read.
Amy
I saw the authors on a morning talk show in the fall and was intrigued by what they had to say. This book is full of statistics that will curl your hair. They are very point blank about the issues facing African Americans and give great ideas for resolutions. This is a worthwhile read for anyone who cares about American society.
Becki Tooley
At times this was long winded, but I certainly agree with the premise. No matter what your race, sex, creed, religion, preferences and so forth. We must take responsibility, accept it and work at it. Doing so, would make some of the other bigger problems, a bit smaller. Accountability...the needed change.
  • The Covenant with Black America
  • When Work Disappears: The World of the New Urban Poor
  • The Anti-capitalistic Mentality
  • Brainwashed: Challenging the Myth of Black Inferiority
  • How Would a Patriot Act? Defending American Values from a President Run Amok
  • Storycatcher: Making Sense of Our Lives through the Power and Practice of Story
  • You Were Always Mom's Favorite!: Sisters in Conversation Throughout Their Lives
  • Goddess of the Market: Ayn Rand and the American Right
  • America Beyond Capitalism: Reclaiming Our Wealth, Our Liberty, and Our Democracy
American comedian, actor, television producer, activist, and luminary. A veteran stand-up performer, he got his start at various clubs, then landed a vanguard role in the 1960s action show I Spy.

He later starred in his own series, The Bill Cosby Show, in the late 1960s. He was one of the major characters on the children's television show for its first two seasons, and created the humorous educati...more
More about Bill Cosby...
Fatherhood The Meanest Thing To Say Time Flies I Didn't Ask to Be Born: (But I'm Glad I Was) Love and Marriage