Start by marking “Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop” as Want to Read:
Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop

Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Mr. Monk #8)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,090 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
Captain Leland Stottlemeyer relies on Adrian Monk to solve his most baffling cases, but when the captain is faced with budget cuts, Monk?s fees are one of the expenses he trims. Monk is too compulsive to stop investigating; he resorts to calling in tips under assumed names, infuriating the captain.

But when Stottlemeyer is arrested for murder, he turns to the only detecti
Published December 1st 2009 by NAL (first published June 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop

Melanie
Mar 03, 2016 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coyer, feb
Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop was a fun read! I was a fan of the show, so I loved getting to "see" these characters again. Mr. Monk, as always, was eccentric and funny. I found several things humorous in this book and recommend it if you liked the show!
Seanan
Jan 28, 2010 Seanan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lee Goldberg was the perfect author to do the Monk tie-ins, because he just plain gets it. By using Natalie as his viewpoint character, he gives us a perspective that's different enough from the show to make his books compelling, not jarring, and yet retains a genuine affection and respect for the source material.

In Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop, murder's in the air (as always), and this time, Mr. Monk's entire world is on the line. The book is longer than a normal episode, and able to get deeper,
Michelle
May 16, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the mysteries and all the characters here especially Danielle. I had hope she will stay but things did not went my way. Nevertheless, she was an amazing character, if only minor. She had degree in psychology so that made her understanding of Monk's OCD. She was an efficient assistant to him and frankly, Natalie always chosen to believe the worst of her annoyed me. There was pattern in this series that I had noticed for quite a while now and it rather spoiled the whole plot if you ...more
Doug Warren
He skipped a lot of commas. Seriously, it's not hard. If you have two complete sentences and want to combine them into one, it's comma FANBOYS because if you just have a FANBOYS conjunction with no comma, it's a run on.

Which makes it weird that when he had a complex sentence that started with the independent clause he put a comma in front of the subordinate conjunction, which is totally unnecessary. Seriously, why put a comma in front of a subordinate conjunction that you aren't supposed to, and
Patti
Jan 11, 2016 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Even if you have never seen the brilliant show "Monk", you can still enjoy the exploits of the world's greatest neurotic, obsessive/compulsive and phobic detective. Told in the voice of Natalie Teeger, Adrian Monk's long suffering and underpaid assistant, this installment in the series finds Monk dismissed from his consulting gig with the San Francisco Police Department, victim to budget cuts. He and Natalie are immediately hired by a wealthy firm of private investigators who provide them with h ...more
Chantel
"Based on the television series created by Andy Breckman"--Container.
Summary "Captain Leland Stottlemayer is faced with budget cuts and trims Monk's services as an expense. Though he insists it's nothing personal, when Monk's offers to help for no charge are declined, he and Natalie suspect otherwise. But Monk is too compulsive to stop investigating. So when Stottlemayer is arrested for the killing of another cop with overwhelming evidence against him, he must turn to the only detective who can
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2009
Monk is downsized when the SFPD is forced to cut their budget. But he lands on his feet at a private firm that is more than willing to pay him and Natalie handsomely. Will Monk still be able to solve a string of murders in the city? As always, Natalie and Monk's relationship is so rich in this book. The characters are great, the plot is strong, and the laughs are plentiful.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Marti Martinson
Feb 06, 2016 Marti Martinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goldberg is a master of first person narrative. He writes convincingly, so convincingly, that it is just so easy to get captured INTO the story. He redeemed himself in my eyes by NOT having the word "freakville" in this story. Even though I was not a constant watcher of the TV series, I saw enough of them to be able to envision the characters in my mind, especially Monk (page 161):

"Relationships aren't sanitary."

Characters and plot develop strategically. The dialogue is hysterical. Another great
Rick Ludwig
Jul 30, 2011 Rick Ludwig rated it really liked it
Although I like all of the books in this series so far, this one has an additional dimension which added to my enjoyment, Stottlemeyer in need of Monk's help after he has to fire him. Goldberg captures the essence of the show so completely that you can't help seeing the excellent actors who created these roles starring in these books. He also broadens and deepens Natalie's character so much by having her do the narration, that you almost wish she had done so on the show a well. Keep giving us th ...more
Phil Giunta
When the mayor of San Francisco slashes the police department's budget, Captain Leland Stottlemeyer is forced to terminate his consulting contract with former partner turned private detective Adrian Monk.

Nevertheless, the obsessive-compulsive detective continues to show up at crime scenes despite discouragement from his lovely and forthright assistant, Natalie Teeger. In an attempt to outwit her, Monk begins calling in anonymous tips on crimes he reads about in the newspaper until he is caught i
Paleomichi
Nov 16, 2010 Paleomichi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gialli, monk
Avendo visto anni fa alcuni episodi della serie "Detective Monk" (o come si chiamava), quando ho trovato questo libro alla stazione di Francoforte l'ho comprato immediatamente.

Peccato che per leggerlo ci abbia messo un mese. Sarà che è americano (tendo a leggere libri scritti da autori inglesi), sarà che un giallo può comunque risultare complicato, sarà che la terminologia a volte è specifica, ma non ci ho capito niente. L'ho finito per disperazione.

Alla fine qualche cosa l'ho capita, ma che fat
Helen
Oct 21, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Monk is back on home territory, and back to the adventures that I really enjoy.

Natalie is starting to pick up the detective's instincts, and so am I. I didn't work everything out, but I certainly saw several things coming.
Which is not to say that the story was boringly predictable. Just that I'm getting used to picking up on the clues.

A good fun read.
Nancy
Aug 28, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cop-story, friendship, ocd
I listened to this book on my MP3 player, while I worked in the yard. I enjoyed it very much. I love Mr. Monk and his OCD's, which are much greater in the books, than on the TV series. The actress, who played Natalie on the TV series, narrated the book, and did a great job.

Monk cannot be paid by the police department as a consultant, because of cuts to the budget. The captain asks Monk to go to a meeting of policemen, to be interviewed about their impressive work together. A private detective a
Kent
Sep 21, 2009 Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book. The premise of the book was that Monk's contract with the San Francisco Police Department is terminated amid budget cuts. But when it looks like Monk's former partner and current Captain of Detectives is the number one suspect in a murder of cop, Monk is asked to help him out, even though it was Sotttlemeyer that made it look like the only detective that could solve the case, Monk, was already cut from the case.

The book moved along nicely with a new surprise in the plot aroun
Janice
Love this series. This story has Captain Stottlemeyer being ridiculed at a police conference for needing to hire Monk to solve his cases. So, when budget cuts are needed, Monk gets the ax. Not being able to help himself, Monk tries calling in tips under assumed names. But when Captain Stottlemeyer is arrested for murder, he asks Monk to solve the case and find the real murderer. A good mystery with lots of laughs. So glad Goldberg is continuing to keep this character 'on the case'.
Jun
Mar 01, 2016 Jun marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
One of the better books in the series. Read this in less than 2 days. The clues were planted in different parts of the book. Not like other books where everything is revealed in the end.
Funny & entertaining.
Laura Cushing
Sep 18, 2011 Laura Cushing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this delightful addition to the Monk series of books, Monk is laid off from his consulting gig due to budget cuts. He and Natalie take jobs with a private detective firm that offers a much better salary and benefits including a company car. But this good offer seems too good to be true. Captain Stottlemeyer is framed for the murder of a fellow cop, and it's up to Randy Disher to make the arrest. All the supporting characters get some great moments in this - Disher taking over as acting captai ...more
David
Sep 06, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again Lee Goldberg delivers an outstanding outing for our favorite defective detective. Goldberg gets the phobias and mood right and even manages some character development along the way. As always Monk is annoying to those around him and entertaining to the reader. His attention to details that others miss and his deductive genius is just plain fun to read. There is nothing Heavy in his story, nothing that strains the intellect, but stimulating, entertaining reading.

Goldberg sees Monk's w
Shivani Desai
This was really quirky and funny. The mystery itself wasn't that exciting, but there were a couple of times where I just stopped and laughed. Those moments made the whole read worth it.
Stephanie Tanton
Aug 23, 2015 Stephanie Tanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this witty mystery. Monk is getting less absurd with all our society's concern about disinfecting gels, wipes and sprays.
thanks Lee for a fun read.
Ed
Dec 30, 2014 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is amazing. It is funny, witty and an easy read. There are a few twists and turns in the story that makes it interesting and the text never drags on.
Karen
Sep 19, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Doesn't quite capture the charm of the show. I see a lot of Poirot in Mr. Monk. That must be a subset of the genre: fastidious gentleman detective.
Shannon Stooksbury
Nov 21, 2013 Shannon Stooksbury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I already fell in love with the Monk tv series, and this simply resounded my love for it. Lee Goldberg does an excellent job of capturing the character Monk. I was never bored with this book, it was a great mystery and I loved that it's not just dark, it's actually humorous. I loved the twists of it, but I doubt if I didn't know who the characters were that I would have liked it so much. The plot is excellent and mysterious, while being amusing. I love all the Monk books I've read, but this has ...more
Karen
Jan 11, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Monk mystery so far, as we see Randy Disher's serious side and Natalie exercises her own detecting skills to help determine who killed Bill Peschel, a former snitch and friend of Captain Stottlemeyer, as well as a dirty cop who used to be on the San Francisco Police force before Stottlemeyer forced him out. Tremendous fun both for fans of the series and those who didn't watch.
Ms. Lydia
Feb 11, 2014 Ms. Lydia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
I love the Monk TV series and this book is a bit different from the actual episode of the same name. However, this book was a good read. It's written from the perspective of Natalie, Monk's assistant, and features Detective Stottlemeyer getting in trouble. I was a bit turned off as there were multiple cases in the book. My bias may have been due to the fact that I was trying to relate it to the show...otherwise, a calming read.
Clare
Jun 25, 2014 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Monk book read, I am really loving these as I don't have to think I can just read and pulled in.
Cathy Cramer
Ah, this book was funny and morally clean. I loved the diaper genie theme. It had me laughing out loud. This is just as good as the "Mr. Monk Goes to Germany" book.
Irene
Mar 08, 2014 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good work Mr. Monk, if only he could enjoy the small pleasures if life though.
Rachel
I listened to this as an audio book which works quite well since it is written in first person from the perspective of Mr. Monk's assistant, Natalie Teeger. Due to budget cuts (and perhaps some politics) Adrian Monk is fired from his consulting position for the San Francisco police department and goes to work for a private investgator firm. He still continues to solve murders, among other crimes, but the body count continues to rise. His friend Captain Stotelmier is arrested for the most recent ...more
Sheri
Jul 13, 2011 Sheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Lee Goldberg)
Adrian Monk is an obsessive compulsive (to the extreme)detective. He is called by his good friend Leland Stottlemeyer to help him prove his innocence, he is arrested for murder. With the help of his assistant Natalie Teeger the solve the crime.

Fast paced mystery with twists and turns. A bit slower than I am used to, but good story line, and I love the character "Monk". I would love to read more in this series, in the hopes that another might be faster pac
  • Mr. Monk Helps Himself (Mr. Monk #16)
  • Mind Over Magic (Psych, #2)
  • Snake Eyes (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #8)
  • Burn Notice: The Fix (Burn Notice, #1)
  • Dangerous Times (Nathan Fox, #1)
  • Blood Quantum (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #14)
  • Holly and Homicide (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #7)
  • One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)
  • Uprising (Star Wars Rebel Force, #6)
  • The Genesis Wave: Book 2 of 3 (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Headhunter (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, # 11)
New York Times Bestselling author Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award and two-time Shamus Award nominee whose many TV writing and/or producing credits include "Martial Law," "SeaQuest," "Diagnosis Murder,""Hunter," "Spenser: For Hire," "Nero Wolfe," "Missing." "Monk" and "The Glades." He's also the author of the Fox & O'Hare series with Janet Evanovich (The Heist, The Chase, The Job), "The ...more
More about Lee Goldberg...

Mr. Monk (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to the Firehouse (Mr. Monk, #1)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii (Mr. Monk, #2)
  • Mr. Monk and The Blue Flu (Mr. Monk, #3)
  • Mr. Monk and The Two Assistants (Mr. Monk, #4)
  • Mr. Monk in Outer Space (Mr. Monk, #5)
  • Mr. Monk Goes to Germany (Mr. Monk, #6)
  • Mr. Monk is Miserable (Mr. Monk, #7)
  • Mr. Monk in Trouble (Mr. Monk, #9)
  • Mr. Monk is Cleaned Out (Mr. Monk, #10)
  • Mr. Monk on the Road (Mr. Monk, #11)

“All Julie has to do is explain to her friends that she's using it to individually seal each item that she throws out."
"Then they'd think she was a geek," I said.
"She will thank me later," Monk said.
"Why would she thank you for being considered a geek?"
"Don't you know anything about teenage life?" Monk said. "It's a badge of respect."
"It is?"
"I was one," he said.
"You don't say."
"A very special one. I was crowned King of the Geeks, not once, but every single year of high school," Monk said. "It's a record that remains unbroken in my school to this day."
"Were there a lot of students who wanted to be King of the Geeks?"
"It's like being homecoming king, only better. You don't have to go to any dances," Monk said. "You aren't even invited.”
5 likes
“Monk worked on his remaining Intertect cases at his dining table while I tried to hone my detecting instincts by reading the Murder, She Wrote novel he bought in Mill Valley.
I can't say that I learned much about investigative procedure but I discovered that you should stay far away from Cabot Cove. That tiny New England village is deadlier than Beirut, South Central Los Angeles, and the darkest back alley in Juarez combined. Even though every killer eventually gets caught by Jessica Fletcher, I still wouldn't feel safe there. I'm surprised the old biddy walks around town unarmed.”
1 likes