Start by marking “City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #2)” as Want to Read:
City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, #2)

City of Night (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  14,620 ratings  ·  586 reviews
From the celebrated imagination of Dean Koontz comes a powerful reworking of one of the classic stories of all time. If you think you know the legend, you know only half the truth. Here is the mystery, the myth, the terror, and the magic of...
Dean Koontz's City of the Night
They are stronger, heal better, and think faster than any humans ever created-andthey must be destr
Published June 29th 2007 by Bantam Books (first published July 26th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about City of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Night

[Name Redacted]
A marked improvement over the drivel of the first album, marred only by the unfortunate decision to kill off the only character I really liked. The change of co-authors was a huge help; the style of prose has improved; and while Deucalion and the detectives still feel like unfortunately cliched pastiches, the supporting cast (Randal Six, Cyndi & Ben, and Erika Five in particular) really stands out and any of them could have carried a whole novel on their own.

I hated the first book so much (
Mike (the Paladin)
Well....that was interesting. If I could I'd give this one a 3.5.

It picks up almost at the instant the first book ends and follows the story, the characters. It takes a little while to get back to the, development, at the end of said first book. But...oh my....it spins us some new threads.

My concern here is that Mr. Kontz may spin this one out so that he has too many plot threads. He writes good "serviceable" prose. At times he comes across as gifted but his novels (for me) are a mixed bag. Som
Stephen
3.5 stars. A good sequel to Prodigal Son and I thought the story-line improved from the last book. Looking forward to the third book in the series when it is released.
Nymphsin
Jan 17, 2009 Nymphsin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Koontz and horror. This book was GREAT!
Recommended to Nymphsin by: My aunt Cheryl.
WOW!
Great Book!
The developing story between Ducalion and his maker keep you turning the page.
The New Race has minions fanned out all over the city in very prestigiuos positions.
The Old Race (human's) seems doomed as many have already died at the hands of Victor Helios's New Race.
The relationship between Micheal and Carson also begins to evolve and one becomes more vocal with their feelings.
Carson's younger and autistic brother (Arnie) befriends Ducalion and their relationship is wonderfully writ
John
Dec 26, 2012 John rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
After not liking the first book in the series, why did I ever talk myself into reading book 2? Oh wait! It is because I love Shelley’s Frankenstein so much and thought maybe, just maybe the series would get better. And I have to say, this was better than the first book, but only just.

I liked the exploration of humanity and what separates us from the animals. Frankenstein wants to create the New Race and improve on humans, but in trying to do so, he blunders into a creation that is much more ani
Matthew West
Disappointingly mediocre follow up to the original.

The brisk pace of Prodigal Son continues in City of Night, set immediately after the events of the first novel, though it lacks the punch and excitement of its more entertaining sibling.
There is nothing particularly interesting about City of Night. I think it was a mistake to set it straight after Prodigal Son, as all of the best plot devices have been used up already and Koontz can't quite establish the same energetic ideas that were in the o
Perry Reed
I'm writing one review for all four (so far) of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein books.

In the Koontz take on the Frankestein story, the old Mary Shelley novel was based on true events. And old Dr. Victor Frankenstein (now called Victor Helios) and his monster (who now goes by the name Deucalion) have survived to the present day. Deucalion is no longer a monster in thought and deed, but has learned a lot about the universe and his place in it, some of that knowledge coming from Tibetian monks with whom
Angie
Jan 22, 2014 Angie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror, monsters medical experiment
Recommended to Angie by: no one
Shelves: dean-koontz, horror
I enjoyed this more than the first as the two detectives weren't as annoying. Victor Helios, or Frankenstein is busy making his creations to take over and kill all the 'old race' .

But things are not going according to plan only he refuses to see this. I feel sorry for all of the new race, they are all so damaged. And changing. I will think this is making them incredibly dangerous because they are starting to do things of there on accord and not to a plan.

Deucalion was not in this as much as the
Maciek
Volume two marks an improvement over the first book - the characters are still stiff and the dialogue is as contrived as ever, but the plot is more interesting and the story better paced. This might have to do with the change of the co-writer - Dean Koontz and Ed Gorman are old pals, so work on that book must have been much more pleasant than on the first volume. It even made me curious to read book three, which Koontz wrote alone. I hope it won't blow up like Eyjafjallajökull.
Teresa
Livro II da história de Frankenstein, segundo Dean Koontz. Tal como o primeiro, assim que começo a ler, já não consigo parar. É composto por capítulos bem curtos que mal terminam nos arrastam, irresistivelmente, para o seguinte. As descrições de cenas de terror são "salpicadas" por doses de humor, o que atenua qualquer mal estar que essas cenas possam provocar. Muito bom.
Karen
Hmm, so far this series is not some of my favorites of Dean Koontz, and this one is worse than the first one. I really don't like books which fail to resolve anything, and are simply chapters of a larger story. Individual books of a series should still be able to stand alone. I'll continue with the series and hope it improves.
Samantha
I love that this series takes place in New Orleans, La. I can vividly picture the places they are talking about in my head with a little help from the author. This book has a unique take on Frankenstein and the mad scientists. However, the action is slow to build. As the story is unfolding, there are several aspects that are predictable and some that are not. As I read the book I want to scream, "Hurry up and do something already!!" The detectives have finally realized that they are not alone an ...more
Marsha
It seems that Koontz has done it again, this time with the able assistance of Ed Gorman (what happened to Anderson?). This time they turn the screws even tighter, predicting a decidedly bleak outcome of humanity’s yet unengaged war with the New Race.

Victor’s creations are breaking down one by one. The so-called singularities that he has dismissed as interesting mistakes are happening more and more frequently. Without being commanded to do so, his new beings are killing human beings, reveling in
Greta is Erikasbuddy
I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!!!

I mean... why wasn't I reading it all these years ago?

Oh yeah... cuz I didn't think Dean Koontz would be any good.

I retract everything I have ever thought of the man... he is indeed the most awesome storyteller!!

PLOT
Deucalion is still on his mission to rid the world of his creator Victor Helios (aka Frankenstein). Still teamed up with Carson and Michael it's just a couple days after book 1 and so many things are falling apart. Can they track him down before the Old Race be
Kelsey Jayy
I did not enjoy reading this. It felt like when I read Twilight all over again- flipping pages waiting for the good part that never happened. It was a lot of talking and plotting without much acting on the talking and plotting (kind of like Lex Luthor). There was much filler, but since I tolerate Dragon Ball Z, filler capital of forever, I tolerated it here. The book was well written, yeah, but nothing really happened and it kept hitting you over the head with the last book constantly. The Randa ...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I enjoyed the story and the second time around I noticed a character from Twilight Eyes making an appearance. In 2005, this was one of my first Dean Koontz books. I didn't read Twilight Eyes until 2013. I also noticed some references to Tick Tock and possibly one of those "From the Corner of His Eye" lines - Koontz is always throwing those in his books. There is a good amount of humor in City of Night, which I noticed more on the second reading than on the first time around.

My favorite lines are
Bark's Book Nonsense
Maybe it's my distracted state of mind but I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as Frankenstein Prodigal Son . I didn't find it very interesting and found my mind drifting away throughout most of it. I think the thing I liked best about the first book in the series was learning more about the monster but in this book he's more of a secondary character in a cast full of secondary characters. Actually, when I think about it, the action seemed to be more of the main focus of the book than any o ...more
Jordan
Sep 24, 2007 Jordan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Koontz fans, Frankenstein fans
The follow up to Koont'z frist reimagining of the stroy of Frankenstein and his "monster". Deucalion is helping to track down members of the "new race" that Victor Helios (Frankenstein's new name) is creating. Helios feels he has engineered a perfect new species that will obey all of his commands in his bid to take over the world despite some big problems with thm mutating and failing to obey his orders. His latest "wife" is also changing and becoming more curious about things. This is another b ...more
Andrew
A bit disapointed in this one to be honest,the narrative is as fast and compelling as book one and yet the elements that were introduced towards the end of book one present themselves again here but developed to a point that Istarted to lose interest.
A book of this type has to stretch imagination a litle,walking cadavers etc are afterall uncommon!!however I think this needs keeping in check and this book could have used a less is more approach.
That said a midpoint book in a trilogy is often used
Morgan Wiley
I was excited to start this book after I finished The Prodigal Son and was so pleased with it. It did not disappoint. I enjoyed every bit of it and it kept me reading long after bedtime. I love a book that can make me laugh and cause me anxiety for the characters all at the same time. This series really delivers. The last few pages of this book were almost heart-warming in a strange way. I'm starting Dead and Alive today!
Chloë Yates
Frankenstein is my favourite novel and Dean Koontz has been my go to writer whenever I need pep or recuperation since I was about 11 years old. I enjoyed Prodigal Son but this was the first time I nearly didn't finish a Koontz book. But I did, even though I felt like I'd read it before. The bounces in the narrative weren't surprising and the central characters are still so stock they could make a decent soup.

I did like Erika Five though. But then, my favourite number is 5.

Hopefully Book Three
Evangheline Farcas
Victor Helious (Frankenstein) thinks he has created the perfect race that is obedient, smart, super strong, and practically indestructable. He thinks he has outdone God and the the ‘Old Race’ needs to be done away with. However there are obstacles to his sadistic goals. His very first creation a super human who goes by Deucalion wants to destroy his creator because he realizes what a monster he is. Detectives Carson O’Connor and Michael Maddison are thrown into the mix as well, forced to defend ...more
Jimmy
I really liked this book. So far this series is proving to be very promising, and I’m eager to read the next two in the series.
Helios’s utopia, a world of the New Race, crumbles around him as he witnesses what happened to Harper first hand. Each member of his New Race is conscience and witnessing the break downs and changes happening, but remains unable to control it.
Randal is one who is still autistic, but developing into something else as he lays in wait under O’Connor’s house.
With all the yea
Steven
Totally awesome!! My wife gave me all 5 books in this series to me for Christmas last year, and now I am wondering why I took so long to start them. Koontz's Frankenstein is so exciting and inventive. These books move like the images on a movie screen in your mind. There's plenty of action, suspense and wicked creatures running around to keep me a prisoner of this terrifying world. I do have to add that these books need to be read in order and are not stand alone books.
Cindy
I love Deucalion!!!! This is a wonderful series, and just as I'd finally resigned myself to never knowing what happens next (this book ends with the action figuratively dangling from a string over a canyon full of rattlesnakes, so to speak) Koontz has FINALLY released book three . . . I'm starting it tomorrow, and I can't wait to find out what happens!!
Siobhan
Following on from ‘The Prodigal Son’ Koontz takes the original Frankenstein story and creates something wonderful. Taking the idea of the classic story, Koontz places Frankenstein and his monster in the modern world. This story leaves you asking who the real monster is – whether it the grotesque monster happens to be the real monster or whether the creator of such a creature was the real monster.

Following on from the first book, the characters are still dealing with the same problem that they or
Lisa
The story continues with Deucalion, Carson and Michael uniting to try and save the world from Victor Helios's manufactured New Race.

Helios's net tightens around the trio but he doesn't know that his New Race are moving beyond his control...

I'm looking forward to reading Book 3 when it comes out in July!
Brian Turner
Frankenstein's New Race are starting to infiltrate all layers of society, leaving Detectives Carson O'Connor and Michael Madison unsure who to trust.
The story continues straight after book one (Prodigal Son), with some of the New Race starting to behave erratically and evolve into something else.

Lots more action, bit more horror than the first book.

Koontz *really* likes short chapters (80 in this book, 99 in book one), meaning the action comes in cut scenes of just a few pages jumping between ch
Everett
This book is a continuation of book 1. Literally. Koontz cranked the action and suspense up a few notches, thankfully. Victor's creations start to show signs of un raveling as their numbers increase, yet he isn't concerned. Now I'll dive into book 3.
Danell
Very good book! I like how Frankensteins creatures are placed in our world and how they are slowly falling apart. Questioning their maker and their programming is dropping out. Can't wait to read the last installment in the series!!
Koontzland - Dean...: City of Night (Group Read - September 2014) 8 16 Sep 12, 2014 10:53PM
Koontzland - Dean...: Dean Koontz's Frankenstein on TNT 8 66 Jul 21, 2014 07:12PM
Goodreads Librari...: please check page numbers 3 166 Jan 14, 2013 01:23PM
  • Shattered
  • The Door to December
  • Nightmare Journey
  • Children of the Storm
  • Invasion (Laser Books, #9)
  • Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son
  • Nevermore
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography
  • The Dean Koontz Companion

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...
Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) Watchers Intensity Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) Phantoms

“You know who used to scare me when I was a little kid? Snuggle the Bear."
"Do I know Snuggle?"
"In those TV ads for that fabric softener. Somebody would say how soft their robe was or their towels, and Snuggle the teddy bear would be hiding behind a pillow or creeping around under a chair, giggling."
"He was just happy that people were pleased."
"No, it was maniacal little giggle. And his eyes were glazed. And how did he get in all those houses to hide and giggle?"
"You're saying Snuggle should've been charged with B and E?"
"Absolutely. Most of the time when he giggled, he covered his mouth with one paw. I always thought he didn't want you to see his teeth."
"Snuggle had bad teeth?" she asked.
"I figured they were rows of tiny vicious fangs he was hiding. When I was maybe four or five, I used to have nightmares where I'd be in bed with a teddy bear, and it was Snuggle, and he was trying to chew open my jugular and suck the lifeblood out of me."
She said, "So much about you suddenly makes more sense than it ever did before."
"Maybe if we aren't cops someday, we can open a toy shop."
"Can we run a toy shop and have guns?"
"I don't see why not," he said.”
1 likes